Start by marking “Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home” as Want to Read:
Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home

Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home (Sleeper #4)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Collecting the final chapter of the 'Sleeper' saga, Vol. 2 #7-12! The endgame is in play and the fates of Carver, Lynch and the mysterious Tao are all up for grabs. It's winner take all - and the stakes are deadly!
Published October 1st 2005 by Wildstorm

To ask other readers questions about Sleeper, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeper, Vol. 4

Gavin
The conclusion to the 'Sleeper' series. This was a bit of a rebound from the 3rd book (Or part 1 of 'Season 2' as they call it) which I felt kinda lost the plot for a ways.
There's finally some resolution to most of the storylines, including a rather Shakespearean finish to the romantic story. Holden gets his shit together, and his plan unveils itself as we go along.
There's also an unexpected (to me at least) arrival from the Wildstorm Imprint, and he shakes things up, giving us a sort of catalys...more
Cale
This is where it all ends. The plans, the plans within plans, the doublecrosses, the triplecrosses, everything comes together here, gets stirred up with some plain old good and bad luck, and the tragedy unfolds. Although much of the emotion in the story focuses on Carver and Miss Misery's relationship and its reflections in Carver's interactions with Lynch and Tao, there's also a surprising amount of other characters showing up. Grifter makes a significant crossover appearance that helps tie thi...more
Aleksandar Nikolov
"Да си добър пич и да правиш лоши неща , или да си лош пич и вършиш добри неща?" - Това е въпроса за Холден Карвър- двоен агент в тройна игра за четирима. Ако прибавим и от двете страни по една жена , изборът се оказва невъзможен. Или поне ако може да се каже че има избор. В случая единствения избор на Холден е оцеляването , но оцеляването на каква цена? Определено не искам да съм на негово място , прекалено много са му моралните дилеми за разрешаване. Че се гръмнем като нищо , което в случая за...more
furious
Jan 30, 2013 furious rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like good comics
Recommended to furious by: everyone?
this is the final of a 4 volume work, but my review refers to the whole thing. very solid crime/spook thriller. some of the elements of the dark/gritty superhero genre that put it into the Wildstorm Universe seem forced & gratuitous, and that bogged the story down for me, at times. but overall it's a well-crafted yarn that doesn't pull punches. Sean Phillips has pretty much never been less than great. highly recommended if you're into cloak-and-dagger type stuff & don't mind some genetic...more
Erik Erickson
Nov 25, 2007 Erik Erickson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes good comics
volume four, the last in the Sleeper saga, is one of the best, if not *the* best. some surprising plot twists and moments of genuine intrigue bring this back to the level of the original volume. since Sleeper was originally intended as a 12-issue run and then expanded to twice that due to popularity, the middle two issues were definitely more watered down than the first and last books but you can't enjoy this one unless you know what's going on so there you have it: the perfect ending to a great...more
Lloyd
There is no denying this is a very well written series and I can see why people liked it. My only problem (and this is just a personal issue) is the tie-in with the Wildstorm Universe. I never bothered getting into any of those titles, so I'm kind of lost with feeling any connection to characters beyond how they appear in this series and still don't feel compelled to find out more.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading Criminal and catching up with Daredevil and Captain America after I finish...more
annette
Jul 24, 2007 annette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: page-turner junkies
oh my god, i got so into this book. ed brubaker is an effin' great writer. he weaves the story really well, and no amount of space is ever wasted. you can tell this was his baby, mos def. best if you read point blank between volume three and this one. fills some of the story. i'm a big dork about these cat and mouse type plot lines (esp. when you have to ask who exactly is the cat and/or mouse), and this is a great example. mmmm...good stuff.
Caroline
I'm glad I read this series. I'm still trying to process how I felt about it. The first volume, which I read a while ago, blew me away. I picked up and read the rest of it recently and I'm not sure it quite lived up to the brilliant set-up. A lot of the twists and turns were unexpected, but after a while I lost track of who was teaming up and who was screwing who over.

Definitely compelling but I'm no sure how much I really liked it.
Krycek
Wow. This was the final volume in the series. I haven't read #1-3 yet, just picked this up from the library shelves not having any idea what it was about. Now I want to pick up the other volumes to see what I missed. Not having read the first three volumes, I still didn't have any trouble with figuring out what's what and the final conclusion was still pretty intense. Dark, brutal, super-hero/sci-fi/spy noir. Good stuff. Read it.
Federiken Masters
May 21, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los géneros
Recommended to Federiken by: Los #s anteriores
Un impresionante final para una espectacular serie. Acá no cazaba cuál era el plan en la mitad de los capítulos, y eso está muy bueno. El final quizás no sea 100% impredecible y sorprendente pero sí muy adecuado e ideal. La excusa perfecta para hacerse fan de Brubaker, y casi casi de Philips también. Ahora veré si busco cuánto están los "Seasons" en inglés o me quedo con esta prolija edición.
Andy Zeigert
Sleeper is above all a brilliant crime story set in a world where "post humans" are a dime a dozen, and sharp wits are more an asset than any super ability. It's hard to describe the action without giving anything away. Suffice to say it's one of the more satisfying ends to a limited series that I've read in a while.
By the time I finished this series, I still wasn't sure I actually liked it. But Brubaker's writing is so addictive that I sped through this nonetheless, and I think that says a lot, even if the content wasn't always my cup of tea. I may give Criminal and Incognito a try next.
Nancy Martira
Jul 06, 2011 Nancy Martira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Michael Climek
The final volume of this series finishes strong. I was happy enough with the run to pick up Incognito, Vol. 1, the next collaboration between Brubaker and Philips.
Dufour
Have to concur with others who have called this Brubaker's best work ever, even better than his CRIMINAL series (also with Sean Phillips art). This is an impressive 4-volume series that pulls no punches. Probably the best thing out of Wildstorm ever.
Filip Różanek
Great finale. Like in good film noit everybody have a pan and they come down crashing and burning around them. A lot of tragedies and a lot of hard choices in a orld without really good and bad, only hades of gray.
Michael
With so many twists and turns, I wasn't sure that the ending of this run would be as satisfying as the run, itself. Brubaker does an amazing job, though. This volume is a perfect "spook" narrative.
pierlapo  quimby
C'era il rischio che un finale scontato rovinasse la serie. Invece, il bravo Brubaker non ci prende in giro neanche un po' e l'ultima tavola di Sleeper è proprio quella che doveva essere.
Amal El-Mohtar
Welp. Gutted. It's probably purely the nature of it being the ending to an absolutely brilliant series, but I couldn't love this volume as much as the others. It just made me so sad.
Steven
It was always going to be difficult to find a satisfying ending to all the sub-plots and air of invincibility built up around T.A.O but Brubaker almost pulls it off...
Phredric
Enjoyed this but it's been a while since I read the earlier volumes so I don;t feel like I can give a proper review. Time to re-read the whole series I think.
Jef St. De Lore
Awesome series--"The Sleeper" (Vol. 1-4). Nice spin on the superhero genre. A bit gritty--in a good way.
Samantha

Amazing ending to the series.
Brian Williams
***star only review***
Ian Muntzert
Ian Muntzert marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Radosław
Radosław marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
  • Powers, Vol. 6: The Sellouts
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 10: Decayed
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 4: Up is Down and Black is White
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping...more
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward Messiah Complex Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream