Start by marking “Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home” as Want to Read:
Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home

Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home (Sleeper #4)

Collecting the final chapter of the 'Sleeper' saga, Vol. 2 #7-12! The endgame is in play and the fates of Carver, Lynch and the mysterious Tao are all up for grabs. It's winner take all - and the stakes are deadly!
Published October 1st 2005 by Wildstorm

To ask other readers questions about Sleeper, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeper, Vol. 4

WortGestalt
Vom Finale hatte ich mir mehr erhofft, das sind nur knappe 3 Sterne. Die unkonventionelle, ungestüme und kreative Art der ersten zwei Bücher ist hier im Abschlussband kaum noch zu finden. Die letzten sechs Kapitel der 24-teiligen Serie verfallen in stereotype Muster und wirken erwzungen, halten nicht das erzählerische Niveau der ersten zwei Bände. Interessant im Nachwort nachzulesen ist, dass die Reihe ursprünglich für 12 Hefte konzipiert wurde, demnach also nach dem zweiten Buch "Die Schlinge z ...more
Gavin
May 19, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The conclusion to the 'Sleeper' series. This was a bit of a rebound from the 3rd book (Or part 1 of 'Season 2' as they call it) which I felt kinda lost the plot for a ways.
There's finally some resolution to most of the storylines, including a rather Shakespearean finish to the romantic story. Holden gets his shit together, and his plan unveils itself as we go along.
There's also an unexpected (to me at least) arrival from the Wildstorm Imprint, and he shakes things up, giving us a sort of catalys
Aron
Sep 17, 2016 Aron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Fantastic! This volume was a great wrap on a great series. I loved The Fade Out but this is my new favorite Brubaker/Phillips series. As is always the case with a B/P series the story was great, but what really put this series way over the top were the characters. All the main characters were deep & interesting & very well fleshed out. The way the story ends is perfect & fits the series just right. Highly recommend.
Lionel
Sep 08, 2016 Lionel rated it it was amazing
Satisfying end to another great run by Brubaker & Phillips.
Paula Asthenia
me lo terminé hace un millón de años pero no lo habia updateado porque estaba en negación
Aleksandar Nikolov
Feb 17, 2014 Aleksandar Nikolov rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
"Да си добър пич и да правиш лоши неща , или да си лош пич и вършиш добри неща?" - Това е въпроса за Холден Карвър- двоен агент в тройна игра за четирима. Ако прибавим и от двете страни по една жена , изборът се оказва невъзможен. Или поне ако може да се каже че има избор. В случая единствения избор на Холден е оцеляването , но оцеляването на каква цена? Определено не искам да съм на негово място , прекалено много са му моралните дилеми за разрешаване. Че се гръмнем като нищо , което в случая за ...more
Cale
Aug 19, 2014 Cale rated it really liked it
This is where it all ends. The plans, the plans within plans, the doublecrosses, the triplecrosses, everything comes together here, gets stirred up with some plain old good and bad luck, and the tragedy unfolds. Although much of the emotion in the story focuses on Carver and Miss Misery's relationship and its reflections in Carver's interactions with Lynch and Tao, there's also a surprising amount of other characters showing up. Grifter makes a significant crossover appearance that helps tie thi ...more
Erik Erickson
Nov 25, 2007 Erik Erickson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes good comics
volume four, the last in the Sleeper saga, is one of the best, if not *the* best. some surprising plot twists and moments of genuine intrigue bring this back to the level of the original volume. since Sleeper was originally intended as a 12-issue run and then expanded to twice that due to popularity, the middle two issues were definitely more watered down than the first and last books but you can't enjoy this one unless you know what's going on so there you have it: the perfect ending to a great ...more
Lloyd
Oct 23, 2008 Lloyd rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
There is no denying this is a very well written series and I can see why people liked it. My only problem (and this is just a personal issue) is the tie-in with the Wildstorm Universe. I never bothered getting into any of those titles, so I'm kind of lost with feeling any connection to characters beyond how they appear in this series and still don't feel compelled to find out more.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading Criminal and catching up with Daredevil and Captain America after I finish
furious
Jan 30, 2013 furious rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like good comics
Recommended to furious by: everyone?
this is the final of a 4 volume work, but my review refers to the whole thing. very solid crime/spook thriller. some of the elements of the dark/gritty superhero genre that put it into the Wildstorm Universe seem forced & gratuitous, and that bogged the story down for me, at times. but overall it's a well-crafted yarn that doesn't pull punches. Sean Phillips has pretty much never been less than great. highly recommended if you're into cloak-and-dagger type stuff & don't mind some genetic ...more
Tariq Bokahri
Aug 14, 2015 Tariq Bokahri rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very odd ending with good and bad aspects. My biggest issue with the series is that it was extended while it was initially planned for 12 chapters. The extension had some great ideas like the relationship between, Carver and Misery. but still some aspects felt thrown in and not very well thought out. still a great series that I can recommend to any noir fan. Also I have to say this is the perfect time to make this series into films given the current superhero film extravaganzas were having, this ...more
annette
Jul 23, 2007 annette rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: page-turner junkies
oh my god, i got so into this book. ed brubaker is an effin' great writer. he weaves the story really well, and no amount of space is ever wasted. you can tell this was his baby, mos def. best if you read point blank between volume three and this one. fills some of the story. i'm a big dork about these cat and mouse type plot lines (esp. when you have to ask who exactly is the cat and/or mouse), and this is a great example. mmmm...good stuff.
Caroline
Mar 08, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm glad I read this series. I'm still trying to process how I felt about it. The first volume, which I read a while ago, blew me away. I picked up and read the rest of it recently and I'm not sure it quite lived up to the brilliant set-up. A lot of the twists and turns were unexpected, but after a while I lost track of who was teaming up and who was screwing who over.

Definitely compelling but I'm no sure how much I really liked it.
Krycek
Wow. This was the final volume in the series. I haven't read #1-3 yet, just picked this up from the library shelves not having any idea what it was about. Now I want to pick up the other volumes to see what I missed. Not having read the first three volumes, I still didn't have any trouble with figuring out what's what and the final conclusion was still pretty intense. Dark, brutal, super-hero/sci-fi/spy noir. Good stuff. Read it.
Andy Zeigert
May 04, 2011 Andy Zeigert rated it it was amazing
Sleeper is above all a brilliant crime story set in a world where "post humans" are a dime a dozen, and sharp wits are more an asset than any super ability. It's hard to describe the action without giving anything away. Suffice to say it's one of the more satisfying ends to a limited series that I've read in a while.
Feather Mista
May 21, 2011 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los géneros
Recommended to Feather by: Los #s anteriores
Un impresionante final para una espectacular serie. Acá no cazaba cuál era el plan en la mitad de los capítulos, y eso está muy bueno. El final quizás no sea 100% impredecible y sorprendente pero sí muy adecuado e ideal. La excusa perfecta para hacerse fan de Brubaker, y casi casi de Philips también. Ahora veré si busco cuánto están los "Seasons" en inglés o me quedo con esta prolija edición.
Nov 11, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
By the time I finished this series, I still wasn't sure I actually liked it. But Brubaker's writing is so addictive that I sped through this nonetheless, and I think that says a lot, even if the content wasn't always my cup of tea. I may give Criminal and Incognito a try next.
Nancy Martira
Jul 06, 2011 Nancy Martira rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nancy by: Michael Climek
The final volume of this series finishes strong. I was happy enough with the run to pick up Incognito, Vol. 1, the next collaboration between Brubaker and Philips.
Du4
Feb 03, 2009 Du4 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Have to concur with others who have called this Brubaker's best work ever, even better than his CRIMINAL series (also with Sean Phillips art). This is an impressive 4-volume series that pulls no punches. Probably the best thing out of Wildstorm ever.
Filip Różanek
Great finale. Like in good film noit everybody have a pan and they come down crashing and burning around them. A lot of tragedies and a lot of hard choices in a orld without really good and bad, only hades of gray.
Jef St. De Lore
Awesome series--"The Sleeper" (Vol. 1-4). Nice spin on the superhero genre. A bit gritty--in a good way.
pierlapo  quimby
C'era il rischio che un finale scontato rovinasse la serie. Invece, il bravo Brubaker non ci prende in giro neanche un po' e l'ultima tavola di Sleeper è proprio quella che doveva essere.
Steven
Nov 30, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
It was always going to be difficult to find a satisfying ending to all the sub-plots and air of invincibility built up around T.A.O but Brubaker almost pulls it off...
Dhali
Oct 31, 2013 Dhali rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Enjoyed this but it's been a while since I read the earlier volumes so I don;t feel like I can give a proper review. Time to re-read the whole series I think.
Michael
Apr 27, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
With so many twists and turns, I wasn't sure that the ending of this run would be as satisfying as the run, itself. Brubaker does an amazing job, though. This volume is a perfect "spook" narrative.
Amal El-Mohtar
Jul 25, 2013 Amal El-Mohtar rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Welp. Gutted. It's probably purely the nature of it being the ending to an absolutely brilliant series, but I couldn't love this volume as much as the others. It just made me so sad.
Brian Williams
Apr 03, 2011 Brian Williams rated it liked it
***star only review***
Ahmed Jadaa
Jun 03, 2015 Ahmed Jadaa rated it really liked it
Picked up again and probably one of the best comic series ever. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Mario
Mario rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2010
  • The Losers, Vol. 2: Double Down
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 4: The Quick and the Dead
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 10: Decayed
  • Powers, Vol. 6: The Sellouts
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing
  • Ocean
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker...

Sleeper (4 books)