Start by marking “The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #2)

The Third Option (Mitch Rapp #4)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  24,475 Ratings  ·  708 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Mitch Rapp, the CIA's top counterterrorism operative, is sent on his final mission, to eliminate a European industrialist who has been selling sensitive equipment to one of terrorism's most notorious sponsors. But he doesn't know that the ultimate target of this mission is himself.

Set up by forces within the US who do not want t

Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 31st 2000)

Ed
Jul 13, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
I often ask myself what is it that I enjoy about the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn. I read these books in two or three days and feel like I've just had a proverbial Chinese meal two hours after which I'm hungry again. I guess I just flat out enjoy the simple good versus evil plotting and the predictability of knowing Rapp will win out in the end, no matter how impossible his situation seems.

In this volume, Rapp is bedeviled by political operators with an agenda that is not necessarily in t
Paul O'Neill
Mar 18, 2016 Paul O'Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!! Very well written. This is the closest you'll get to 24. Flew through this and can't wait to start the next one.
Marcie
May 05, 2008 Marcie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This second Mitch Rapp novel has got serious, annoying problems.

3rd Option – I did not like this 3rd book in the series. Anna, who has become Mitch's love interest, is an idiot and gets herself taken by the bad guys. Mitch wants to quit and marry her. This whole idea of Mitch in a real romance does not work for me. Bad guy Sen. Hank Clark gets away in the end. Flynn tries to connect all the people in previous books, like a dumb romance novel. Recurring character Scott Coleman assists him, Dumond
Corey
Sep 24, 2015 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the Mitch Rapp series. It was a little hard to follow for a while and I was quite lost, but after a few chapters it started to pick up the pace. In The Third Option Flynn shows us more of his political views, which I found intriguing.

I'm guessing that Separation of Power, the next book in the series will pick up where The Third Option left off. I'm taking a short break from the Mitch Rapp series because I've read the first 4 books in a row and I don't want to get burnouts, H
Zoeytron
Jun 23, 2013 Zoeytron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Bond would probably kill to get his hands on Mitch Rapp's custom-made leather overcoat. Weighing in at 23 pounds, it has all manner of hidden compartments and pockets that house extra passports, money in various currencies, an encrypted radio, weapons, extra ammo, a speaker and microphone cunningly sewn into the lapel, and more. Bond wouldn't stand a chance against Mitch Rapp, of course. The overcoat stays with our guy, thank you very much.

The third option refers to a covert operation, as
Rick Fisher
Apr 17, 2012 Rick Fisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second novel in the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, "The Third Option", finds our hero at the center of a political plot wrought by those who walk the hallowed halls of American government. After an undercover mission in Germany goes seriously wrong, with Mitch ending up on the wrong end of several bullets, he must traverse the secretive world of politics to find out who set him up and why.
Another great story by Mr Flynn. This is another awesome entry in this series. The plot is detailed
Eric
Mar 21, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of spy thrillers
The only reason I didn't give this novel five stars is that a lot of the its plot-lines carry over into the next novel, Separation of Power, so in a lot of ways this felt incomplete by itself. With that caveat, it's still a kick ass spy thriller, and Mitch Rapp is the pinnacle of a kick ass spy.
Ashish
Nov 19, 2015 Ashish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Flynn's first three books, American Assassin,Kill Shot and Transfer Of Power, I was looking forward to another tale of non-stop action and thrills. Much to my surprise, however, The Third Option,was a bit disappointment. The plot was dragged out and the action was neither very exciting nor frequent enough. Further, the biggest letdown in this book pertained to it's conclusion -- or lack thereof. The Third Option ends leaving the reader "hanging." Flynn is an author that I felt I co ...more
Jeff
Jul 08, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe I've read about all of the Vince Flynn novels. I like to believe that people like Mitch Rapp are out there keeping me safe from anti-american enemies.
Richard
Absolutely superb. His books get better and better. I have now read five of his books, four of the Mitch Rapp series and Term Limits a semi-standalone. Vincent Flynn only wrote 13 Rapp books before he very sadly passed away, so I am drawn between reading them one after the other (which I always want to do) or eking them out so I can saviour them slowly. Rapp is so much better than Lee Child's, Jack Reacher. Why hasn't a film been been made of him instead of the rubbish Reacher film. I have just ...more
David Feinstein
Mar 08, 2009 David Feinstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel deals with Mitch Rapp who is a member of the CIA's highly secret Orion Team. He's their top assassin. When the first option of diplomacy and the second option of military force fail, the United States turns to its third option of covert action as a way of dealing with terrorist's attacks. It is our last option of fighting back, and it usually involves assassination.

Mitch Rapp is on the verge of resigning from the CIA. He has met the woman of his dreams and wants to live a normal life.
ElaineY
Nov 12, 2015 ElaineY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 12, 2015
Narrator: Nick Sullivan

A little too many characters for me to keep track of. The action is interspersed throughout this installment rather than a buildup to the final showdown as in the previous books.

Rapp is already planning to retire and intends this to be his final mission. He is in love with what's-her-name from the previous book and going the way of marriage and babies. Huh.

Anyway, I liked this one less than the previous books but it was still good, esp
Winter Sophia Rose
Dark, Intriguing, Deep, Intense, Edge Of Your Seat Ride!!! I Loved It!
Sep 06, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
This is the my first "Mitch Rapp" book and I wished I would have started with the first book in the series. Also, the story wasn't wrapped up at the end and now I will need to continue to the read other books in the series to see what happens.
Molly
Dec 22, 2010 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, fun but Flynn either never met a woman or has the worst love life ever. Not enough action to offset the ponderous and infantile love story.
Jessie
Jul 12, 2014 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, summer-2014
Another Mitch Rapp book. I wished that I had read them in order. I know that they are supposed to stand alone, but it is better to read them in order. This book wasn't my favorite Rapp book. I especially didn't like the ending. Flynn left us with a cliff hanger really-- unfinished business that I suppose will be solved in the next book of the series. So--- I've checked that one out from my library today. Fun. It's spy fluff, and I like that. ** stop here for spoilers*** Mitch pulls off a hit on ...more
Milo (Bane of Kings)
The Review Can Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c...

Mitch Rapp, the CIA's top counter-terrorism agent, is sent on his final mission - to eliminate a European industrialist who has been supplying highly sensitive equipment to one of the world's most notorious sponsors of terrorism. He doesn't know that the ultimate target of this mission is himself.

Thriller books are generally good for fast paced, action fun, with plenty of quick reads. Lee Child, David Baldacci, Elmore Leonard
Bev
Sep 23, 2014 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery, kindle
I said I wasn't going to read another Vince Flynn, but I started this on the plane to Boston and got hooked. The thing about Flynn books is that each is quite different. All concern a paid assassin, but "The Last Man" was filled with anger and it was so terribly bloody. "Pursuit of Honor" dealt with the amount of torture and the country's struggle to balance "legalized" murder and torture with our interpretation of the Constitution. "The Third Option" is a "kinder, gentler" story of murder and t ...more
Theshrewedshrew
So ...

I have read hundreds of reviews of this author and everyone praises him or is disgusted. There really arent many middle grounders.

So Pro's

-Action packed, yes.
-Plot that has global implications with baddies who have power, and scope on a plan so convoluted not even our heroes can see clearly... Oh yeah.
-People acting in ways we can envision even when we know they are doing the wrong thing. (Perspective of "Don't open that door mentality of the viewer.") Yeah, it has got miles of it.
-Impo
Robert H
Aug 27, 2012 Robert H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After enjoying the first book in the series and consuming that in just a few days, I decided to move onto the second. While the pacing wasn't quite as well done as in Transfer of Power, and Flynn's tend to repeat certain character descriptions or situations several times throughout the book occurred more often, the pacing and story made the book enjoyable.

This book did tend much more into the political than Flynn's first book, which was largely centred on a singular terrorist attack, and took a
The Cats Mother
I'm enjoying this series about Mitch Rapp, a CIA assassin taking out bad guys; this was the 2nd he wrote, but more recently two prequels were published featuring Mitch at the beginning of his career. It got a bit confusing therefore keeping track of who the characters are, as many have appeared in previous books; it's easier to just enjoy the action.
Similarly, when you don't know much about the American system of government, working out who all the politicians are supposed to be and how they re
Susan Grace
Jan 29, 2016 Susan Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really liking this series. In this book there was a lot of background information given on a lot of the satellite characters and I wanted more Mitch! I realize that all this background information is setting up a great series so I am willing to plow through it! On to the next!
Stephen Allen
Jan 20, 2016 Stephen Allen rated it it was amazing
Another great read

When Mitch has his back against the wall he is always calm cool and collected. Vince once again does not disappoint with his writings.
Delicious Strawberry
This is the third book of Vince Flynn that I have read, and it was no less enjoyable than the others. Mitch Rapp is his usual tough self, though there is one instance where sheer luck was what kept him alive. Overall it's an enjoyable story in the Mitch Rapp series.
Ailish
Apr 26, 2015 Ailish rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor cousin to Tom Clancy. I'm not a fan of Tom Clancy's politics or ethics, but at least he spins a good yarn. Flynn's characters are not particularly prepossessing, nor is the story that great. In addition the novel is the perfect example of pragmatic consequentialist ethics. A thing is right to do if it can be characterised as being in the interests of the USA, and if it gets the results you desire, justifying the whole "black-ops" thing, extra-judicial killings, lying to Senate Committees, e ...more
Jules Goud
This is really the first spy thriller novel that I've read. I have to say that I really like it.

So, someone set up Mitch Rapp in Germany. That was probably the biggest mistake that they could have ever made in their life. They pissed Mitch Rapp off. Through out this novel I have learned that you really don't want to piss Mitch Rapp off.

Mitch wants out of the CIA. He has a new life waiting for him and he wants to put all of the killing and other unfortunate tasks his performed behind him. He is a
Susan
Nov 25, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Larry
Apr 21, 2016 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm doing this for the Vince Flynn fans out there. If you've started the series with "American Assassin" and worked your way through "The Third Option", well this is were the real Mitch Rapp begins. You start seeing a little more dark side (no, Stansfield does not say 'Mitch, I am your father') but his is where the real story begins.

I love series, thrillers, spy, sci fi, YA, fantasy & probably others. Vince Flynn's bad-ass character Mitch Rapp is a great series. Writer Vince Flynn died in 20
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Mitch Rapp series (#4 only if you count the prequels #11 & #12 as #s 1 & 2- which you certainly couldn't have 10 years before they were published).

CIA counter-terrorist Mitch Rapp series - Battle-scarred protagonist Mitch Rapp returns to take on a sensitive new assignment in Europe, only to have things go awry when his two CIA colleagues turn on him following the assassination of a wealthy German count who has been selling arms to Saddam Hussein. Rapp survives their double-deal
Jim
Jun 30, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Mitch Rapp novels I have read by Vince Flynn. It has all the action and excitement that one could ask for and more. It is full of political intrigue as politicians in the Congress vie against the leadership of the President and, particularly, against the leadership of the CIA.

Flynn has the President and the head of the CIA contend that there are three options to deal with international problems, especially terrorism. The first option is diplomacy, working through the Dep
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Pirate (Alexander Hawke, #3)
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2)
Vince Flynn died June 19, 2013 after losing his battle with prostate cancer.

The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988. After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he l
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)

“they were clearly in the wrong, it was Al Rudin they paraded out in” 0 likes