Start by marking “Pop Gun War Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Pop Gun War Volume 1

Pop Gun War Volume 1

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"Pop Gun War is about childhood, self-discovery, oppression, guilt, dreams, loneliness, whatever. It is more about a feeling you, the reader, get from the story rather than a typical narrative. If you wanted to get literal, it is about an inner city boy, Sinclair, who discovers a pair of discarded angel wings. With these wings, Sinclair flies around the city and gets into ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Gun War Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Gun War Volume 1

Forrest
I've been really lucky lately. I seem to have had a long string of excellent graphic novels in my "to read" pile. Pop Gun War is no exception. Farel Dalrymple's art is complex and expressive, not only in this work, but in others, as well. It's hard to pin down the plotline of Pop Gun War, as it is more mythical than prosaic, more concerned with philosophy than structure. At times, it can get just a touch pedantic, but by and large the thematic thread of being controlled by both our inner passion ...more
Jan
Hiding Immaturity Behind Cryptic Lyrics?

In this book, a "representative of a magnificent corporation" says to a streetwise young musician: "So, your critics say you are too young, that you are hiding your immaturity behind cryptic lyrics." The boy dismisses this critique, blaming it on ageism: "Some people resent you for your age." He leaves in protest.

Hmm... Is cartoonist Farel Dalrymple in this scene trying to brush off as discriminatory the kind of criticism that could easily be directed at h
Vincent
This is the last of the three “graphic novels” I picked up when I picked up Blankets. I bought Blankets, American Born Chinese, and The Pop Gun War in the same order and read them back to back, so I’ve connected them as a trilogy in my head. The latter is the most interesting of the three. I was sold on the cover and a critic’s comment that compared it to a David Lynch movie. It definitely is a surreal journey through Manhattan and the life of one little boy who “finds” wings.

The Pop Gun War is
Renee Alberts
Jul 28, 2009 Renee Alberts rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nikki
Recommended to Renee by: Joseph
Pop Gun War is a perfect blend of gritty urban imagery and fantasy. The story focuses on Sinclair, a young boy who found a pair of wings in a trash can. When he straps them on, they work. The characters, including: a floating fish and his best friend whose size undergoes sudden drastic changes; a sinister silent monk; Sinclair’s very young rock star sister, Emily; the obligatory bully; and, of course, the original owner of the wings. While that cast could make for a wildly surreal tale, Farel Da ...more
Amory Blaine
"Right before I fell I had a really great idea. After the fall I couldn't remember what it was. I still can't remember. What if that idea could have changed my life?"
Keith
A monk named Koole wins a fish named Percy in a card game with a girl with an eyepatch. His sudden good fortune prompts him to return all the toys he's stolen from the neighborhood children, until he sees a boy named Sinclair flying across the city with the aid of angel wings.

Sinclair rescued the wings from a trash can after the tattooed angel they belonged to crashed to Earth, and had them removed via a construction worker with a chainsaw.

Sinclair's sister Emily and her rock band, the Emilies
Mike Sgier
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm just now reading Dalrymple's 'Pop Gun War.' It's one of those books that was always staring out at me on the shelf, waiting for me to find the right time to pick it up.

And I'm glad I did. The story is set in a dense city (complete with it's own map), and centers around a collection of mismatched and misfit characters, growing and changing in unexpected ways. A boy fashions his own set of wings, discarded by a fallen angel, only to grow wings himself. A dwarf grows
Damon
Of late, I've become a big Farel Dalrymple enthusiast. It seems like maybe his stuff has progressed a bit since this book, though, since some of the more recent stuff I've read seems a bit more cohesive. The art here was really nice - it had almost an "old-timey" sort of feel to it which worked pretty well with the storytelling. Plot-wise, it was a bit more "surreal" than maybe I'd prefer - the story kind of followed a series of linear events, but many of those events didn't really... I don't wa ...more
Joe
i'm surprised i haven't added this book yet... a lot of times when people ask me about good graphic novels, i forget about pop gun war, or i look for it and its out of stock at the local comics shop. either way, if you come across it, checking it out is worth while. surreal imagery, enigmatic characters, and genuinely creepy story lines. reminds me of a good david lynch tv show that would more than likely never make it past a pilot, if you catch my drift. this guy went on to do lots of other wor ...more
Matt
Farel Dalrymple creates such a vivid environment for his characters to exist.
Jesse
First and foremost the art in this book is great. It's gritty and urban while being surreal and dreamy. The story (if you could call it that) is hard to follow, but it's not important. This book appeals to me in the same way as the music of Little Wings and the Microphones; a very well thought out world with its own distinct mythology has been created, but we're only given a small glimpse. Which is completley frustrating because I want to consume everything I can of this world. But it is sort of ...more
kaelan
Oneiric—symbolic—fragments of Burns and Melville—perhaps slightly heavy-handed at times—yet still, there doesn’t seem to be a simple key to unlocking this allegory. Maybe the introduction will prove illuminating:
Dalrymple’s narrative linguistics are all his own: the choreography is natural one moment, the next a lurch into dream, yet somehow still holding logic, as the lurch was based in something true to the story—a scheme, an ill intent, an unfettered desire.

And the artwork’s absolutely gorge
Hillary
This was a gift from a friend, and the art is wonderful, but the narrative is a little too dreamy for me. I think I can put up with more obscurity in literature that doesn't have pictures, partially because I can untangle words with more readiness than I can visuals. That is, sometimes I understand/perceive that things are drawn a certain way to convey a message. Other times, it whooshes straight over my head. Also, I was sleepy when I read this. The lettering is very nice. I always find it a re ...more
Neil
Oct 18, 2007 Neil rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This is the trade paper back of the first (and so far, only) issues of the series, Pop Gun War. It is beautifully drawn, imaginative, and tells a slow story of love for a city and its inhabitants.

I thought chapter five was a little too formulaic, which is unfortunate, as it's the last chapter in the book. But Dalrymple is working on the sixth issue, and will eventually get it out. Definitely worth reading.
Oliver Ho
Excellent graphic novel, surreal and beautiful. It reminded me of films by David Lynch and Alex Cox, and a little of Paul Auster's stories, with its mix of weirdness, big city dangers, and being told from a child's perspective. It's a 'magic realist' story, and also stands well alongside stories by Borges, Marquez, Cortázar, Calvino. I'll definitely read this again, many times.
A. M.
Effortless and entrancing urban mysticism, toying with the surreal and the mythic while avoiding heavy-handed allegory and simplistic morality tales. Dalrymple is confident in his work, refusing to hold the reader's hand while simultaneously crafting a story that is both accessible and open to interpretation.
Deanna
I was lent this comic by a friend after I lent him "Therefore: repent". I can see why. They are very similar in that they create a fantsy like setting within an urban environment using tropes taken from Christianity. I really like this graphic novel and loved the characters and setting.
Connie
This came highly recommended from Scout, so I really really wanted to love this book. The pictures were beautiful & I loved staring at the characters, but I found the storyline to be a bit inaccessible to me. Perhaps I just need to get better at reading allegory.
Kobeest
dalrymple has created a vivid world, all in black and white, where dreams and reality mix right on the surface of life...people who lead an average rural existance, or a more priviledged suburban or urban one, should read this. there is a lot to learn here.
Chris
Really amazing poetry and symbolism here. Sparse sometimes cryptic dialogue punctuates the visuals. Although I wanted some things to be more clear cut, nothing is black & white. I'm glad Dalrymple made it that way.
Selena
Liked it. About a little boy who finds a pair of wings, and then grows his own. He's lonely, with a sister gone touring for her band. Been reading a few lonely children stories lately.
Clay
Mar 24, 2010 Clay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
A mixture of the sureal and magical realism, Farel Dalrymple leads you through part nightmare and part dream where some of the symbolism is translucent and some blindly opaque.
Tripmastermonkey
there could be more that ties the book together... different characters moving through the city with different things going on. and there's a flying fish.
Brooke
Beautiful, beautiful art. Honestly, it makes you tear up sometimes. And fine storytelling, at its disjointed and quirky best.
Marcelle
Great art and an innovative story about a boy who finds a [air of wings thrown away by a tattoed angel.
Sachapenn
Another fantastic graphic novel. The pen and ink work is absolutely breathtaking.
Colin
Dec 06, 2011 Colin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Colin by: lyndsey r.
Super creative and original, kinda creepy but in a good way. Really liked it.
lyndsey
truly beautiful graphic novel. i hope this guy does more because i love it.
Drift
This was not for me. Not coherent enough of a story for me.
  • Omega the Unknown
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
  • Escape from "Special"
  • Tank Girl: The Gifting
  • 500 Essential Graphic Novels
Farel Dalrymple is an illustrator and a comic book creator. He was the artist on omega the unknown with writer Jonathan Lethem. His creator owned comic book, Pop Gun War was a Xeric grant recipient and won a gold medal from The Society of Illustrators. Farel was a co-founder of the comic anthology Meathaus, and has worked on a range of illustration and cartooning projects for comic book publishers ...more
More about Farel Dalrymple...
The Wrenchies Delusional: The Graphic and Sequential Work of Farel Dalrymple It Will All Hurt, Vol. 1 Remainder: A Wrenchies Story meat haus #5