Start by marking “Gator Gumbo: A Spicy-Hot Tale” as Want to Read:

A new take on The Little Red Hen -- Cajun style

Poor Monsieur Gator is getting old and is moving so slow he can't catch himself a taste of possum or otter, or even a whiff of skunk. Day after day those animals tease and taunt him until, finally, he decides to cook up some gumbo just like Maman used to make. But who will help him boil, catch, sprinkle, and chop? Certainly no
Published March 9th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Gator Gumbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gator Gumbo

Connie
Jun 16, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
The language used (presumably authentic for the region) is very rich and it really sets the tone for the whole book.

This is a version of the Little Red Hen where the not-helping animals are really rude instead of just lazy - and they get what they deserve when, after begging for Just One Taste, they fall right in the pot!

A few notes that struck me as odd, though many kids would probably not notice. First, the animals go into the pot without being skinned or even taking off their clothes. Uh, ew?
Luann
Apr 15, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
If you replace the little red hen with old Monsieur Gator, switch out the lazy farmyard animals with a possum, an otter, and a stripe-tailed skunk, make gumbo instead of bread, and set the whole thing in the bayou, you've got Gator Gumbo by Candace Fleming! Read this aloud with a cajun accent and a little sass and you've got a recipe for a fun, slightly sinister read-aloud. If you are reading this to very young children, you might want to prepare them for the end by making sure they know that ...more
Lauren Cody
Nov 18, 2016 Lauren Cody rated it it was amazing
Gator Gumbo by Candace Fleming highlights a gator who was getting picked on because he didn't have any food so he decides to make a special recipe and trick his friends. In the end all his friends want some of the gumbo. This book is appropriate for Pre-K to first grade. This book is a fantasy story and allows the children to use their imagination when listening and reading the story. The guided reading level for this story is a level L.

Kelsey Bansek
Feb 15, 2016 Kelsey Bansek rated it it was amazing
Monsieur Gator is getting old, and he moves soooo slow. He’s so slow that he is always eating veggies because he cannot catch the other animals. He starts to get tired of veggies and decides to make gumbo, just like his mother’s. No one wants to help him make it, but he continues through all the steps to make it just right. When he finishes, the other animals want to help eat it, even though they did not want to help make it. Sneaky Gator lets them take a sip and as soon as they lean over the ...more
Melanie
Monsieur Gator is getting old. He doesn't get around as well as he used to. This means that he doesn't have the energy or strength to catch other animals to eat. The other animals know this and tease and taunt him. One day he has a terrible craving for gumbo. No one will help him pour the water in. No one will help him catch, peel and throw in the crayfish. No one will help him pick and chop up the okra. No one will help him put in the spices or the rice. So he does all of these things by ...more
Kim
Possum, Otter, and Skunk don't give Gator any respect now that he's old and moves slow. One day, he decides he's had enough and begins to make a big pot of gumbo. In the style of The Little Red Hen, Gator asks the other three for help with various tasks and when they refuse, he does it himself. Of course, when it's time to taste the gumbo, all three find that they have plenty of time for that. But there's a twist to this tale: as Possom, Otter, and Skunk move up to the pot to sample the gumbo, a ...more
Alana
Sep 04, 2008 Alana rated it really liked it
On a trip to New Orleans, I knew I had to return with a book for my godson, but choices were a bit limited. I returned with this one, a rather amusing little tale with a somewhat dark streak of humor in it, but I didn't mind it much.
Old Monsieur Gator is getting up there in years and he can't chase after (and eat) the other animals the way he used to. This means the other animals flaunt their safety by teasing him... But the clever, crafty Gator wins out in the end. The book comes complete with
Jordan Paxston
By Candace Fleming, illustrated by Sally Lambert
Published March 9th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Picture book, trickster tale
-Poor old Gator is slow and cannot hunt anymore, which the other animals frequently tease him about. Clever Gator tricks them and makes gumbo just like his mama used to.
-I included this mischievous tale because through its silliness it has a great plot that will make young readers laugh. Would be a great book to talk about motives
Alice
Nov 12, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
This book was read to me at a conference. It is a spin on the little red hen. So, with that thought...the language is so red neck that I ain't gonna say no more. I know that is regional "Looseeana" lingo bit there are only so many "mon sewers" and "aint's"I can take. It was good and I really couldnt see the pictues but it was still a good book. ! Maybe we could get it for my library...then again....
Heidi-Marie
Thecajungirl
Aug 22, 2014 Thecajungirl rated it it was amazing
Adored by my children. When my children are assigned "book buddies" to read to this book is often selected. This book serves as a good start to discuss the effects and consequences of both teasing and revenge.
The illustrations are wonderful. However, in my family we add file' to our bowls and not our gumbo pot. ;)
Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 Kristina Moss added it
Shelves: animals
Gator Gumbo by Candance Fleming is a great retelling of a classic story, Red Hen. In this story Gator decides to make gumbo but needs some help from his friends. After refusal from his friends, Gator soon creates his gumbo which his friends who refused would love some. I would read this story to my students to teach the basis and importance of sharing especially in a community.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved this nifty Cajun version of "Stone Soup"! Sally Anne Lambert's illustrations were perfect-- what a crafty looking alligator, although he looks depressed in the beginning. That soup sounded pretty good to me! Wouldn't want to eat skunk, though. Recommended, especially in combination with other versions of the tale or other stories involving soup!
Ashley Stegall
Jan 20, 2015 Ashley Stegall rated it it was ok
Ok, so my reason for the low ratings is probably because we read the Mike Artell books first, which are excellent. The author is from Chicago, and it is not "authentic" almost seems like it's what someone would guess a Cajun book should be. I live in Cajun country and no one would ever refer to crawfish as "craw dads" here! Nor does okra EVER go in da Gumbo!! At least not on this side of I-10.
Traci Bold
Aug 09, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Naughty little bullies get a dose of humble pie when they become Gator Gumbo. I promise I did not spoil the story.

#humor #clever #animals

Written by Candace Fleming, illustrated by Sallie Anne Lambert and published by Farrar, Strauss & Giroux.

Dee
Jul 01, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I have to admit I had mixed feelings about this book. I loved the illustrations. It was like The Little Red Hen but with a different twist. At first I was a little disappointed but then I remembered, gators are predators. Enough said.
Farhana Faruq
Nov 25, 2012 Farhana Faruq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
I loved "The Little Red Hen" when I was growing up. This story follows a similar story line. I'm so happy I picked it up. It's absolutely delightful to read. My niece loved it too.

Illustrations are brilliant!!
Ashley
Mar 07, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
My brother thought this book has the best ending ever, I have to say that I really was hoping that would not be the ending.
Jason
Dec 17, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
With an assortment of animals to voice (all with a delightfully fun Cajun accent) this children's picture book is a winner in our house.
Brooke
Sep 28, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Like the Little Red Hen...but with a twist. Love the language of the book. Makes you feel like you're right there in the bayou with them. My kids loved this book.
Angie
Apr 18, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older preschool - 2nd
A twisted version of the little red hen! Practice your cajun accent and this one is sure to be a hit!
Mary Kay
Jul 07, 2009 Mary Kay rated it it was amazing
What a fun story to read - I love the images and the characters in this book, and children enjoy the sassiness!
Alex Niemi
Apr 02, 2014 Alex Niemi rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
A hungry old alligator discovers a way to add some special ingredients to his gumbo after deciding he is tired of being bullied by other animals. This book will have young readers laughing out loud!
Paula
Dianna
Feb 13, 2012 Dianna rated it liked it
Didn't love this one but the ending almost made up for it. (view spoiler)
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Kitty Tomlinson
Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Jade Kuhn
Jade Kuhn rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Armadilly Chili
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • Papá and Me
  • Wolf's Coming!
  • Are You Awake?
  • Betsy Red Hoodie
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st
More about Candace Fleming...