Start by marking “Danitra Brown, Class Clown” as Want to Read:

Danitra Brown, Class Clown

They may be best friends, but Zuri Jackson and Danitra Brown respond very differently to the start of school. For Zuri, there are so many things to ponder -- a new teacher who replaced the old one she liked so much, passing math, and worrying about her mother's health. But for Danitra, the only real deal is being true to herself, having fun, and supporting Zuri in any way ...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Amistad

To ask other readers questions about Danitra Brown, Class Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danitra Brown, Class Clown

Errin Tucker
Apr 08, 2012 Errin Tucker rated it it was amazing
This book is a poetry book and is designed for children in the intermediate age group(ages eight to twelve). The story is about a girl who is having a hard time preparing to start a new school soon. Her best friend Danitra makes it all better by encouraging her.
I gave this book 5 stars because I really enjoyed it. I think children of this age will be able to relate to this story. I like that it was written in a poetic way but is still able to be understood by readers. I liked how Danitra turned
Angelina
Oct 02, 2011 Angelina rated it really liked it
1. Poetry
2. This is a collection of poems that follow best friends Zuri Jackson and Danitra Brown as they start a new school year.
3. A. Character/ Point of View
B. This is told in first person point of view from the perspective of Zuri; however, Zuri highlights her best friend in almost every poem, and Danitra becomes the second main character. One would think that using poetry would be harder to create such in depth character development; nevertheless, author Nikki Grimes is able to create reali
Kelley
Sep 26, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it
Critique- Picture Book/Poetry

A collection of poems about the start of a new school year for friends Zuri and Danitra, the challenges they face in school and at home, and the strength of friendship. A.) In the majority of poems the author uses couplets for a rhyming scheme. B.) The use of rhyming is a helpful way to have young children follow along in poetry. Because of the predictability of similar sounds students may be able to read words they are not familiar with based on their knowledge that
Maribel Galvez
Oct 16, 2012 Maribel Galvez rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Upper Elementary (3-5)
Reading level: 4.1 (Lexile N/A)
Genre: Poetry, Multicultural

Main Characters: Danitra Brown, Zuri Jackson, Miss Volchek
Setting: Danitra’s school and home
POV: Zuri Jackson

Zuri is feeling apprehensive about her first day back at school. She worries about adjusting to a new teacher, new classroom, and new bullies. Once she sees Danitra, her worries are lessened because Zuri has her best friend by her side. Danitra is always there for Zuri. For example,
Mitchell M
Nov 18, 2012 Mitchell M rated it liked it
Danitra Brown, Class Clown
Grade/interest level: Primary (2nd to 3rd)
Reading level: Fountas and Pinnell: N
Grade: 3.4
Genre: poetry
Main Characters: Danitra and Zuri
Setting: not specified, present time
POV: from Zuri’s poems

This is a book filled with poetry from Zuri’s point of view. Zuri writes about schoolwork, teacher, Danitra’s life, Danitra’s mom’s health, and friendship. It is an adventurous type of book which I think students can follow and they will fall in love with Danitra’s character becau
Kayla Kupinski
Dec 08, 2015 Kayla Kupinski rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Danitra Brown, Class Clown is a story of two best friends, Zuri and Danitra, and their school year together. While they are both very different, Danitra and Zuri are always there when the other one needs them.
This book is written in the form of several rhythmic poems that link together to tell events throughout the school year. A major theme throughout the book is friendship. It helps to show children that even though two people are extremely different, they can still be really good friends. Th
Libby In Libraryland
The poems were relevant to life in elementary school, and of average quality. I felt the illustrations captured the look of a happy, boisterous African American girl, comfortable in her own skin. It didn't come across as honoring African American culture or history. It didn't have that deep, soulful yearning for empowerment that I have come to love about African American poetry. I wondered if they took poems about white kids and inserted the name "Danitra Brown" into them and juxtaposed them wit ...more
Jen
Jan 28, 2016 Jen added it
Shelves: picture-book
(2005) Another school year is beginning for young Zuri along with all of the things she hates: math, a new teacher and classroom, and explaining what her name means. Zuri is also coping with a sick mother and this makes her sad and nervous too. But school is much better with Danitra Brown around. Danitra is Zuri's best friend who helps her with homework, makes her laugh, and is there for her when she feels sick before a test. This is a sweet story with beautiful, realistic- painted illustrations ...more
Diane
"Danitra and I will find a way to make it great, somehow."

Through poems, we meet two friends beginning the school year. Zura is timid and worried, but her friend "Danitra hops in, grinning and all my gloomy thoughts go spinning." Danitra is there for Zura, helping her build her confidence and self esteem. She's an original thinker, she has a one of a kind smile, she's a "matchless tutor, matchless friend." Everyone should have a friend like Danitra Brown!

What a great read aloud to start the year
Vanessa Wilder
Apr 19, 2015 Vanessa Wilder rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-outside-books
This is a story about two female best friends who are complete opposite in personalities. It is the beginning of school and Zuri ponders so many things about school and her home- life problems, but Danitra is laid back and want to have fun. This book is basically about the students who have face the era of a fresh beginning of school.

Act: Ask students if they think it is okay to be a class clown? Explain why.
Ch_kendrachristo
Mar 08, 2010 Ch_kendrachristo rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is the touching story, told in rhyme, of two best friends who face a new school year and a new teacher together. Zuri is shy and nervous about the year ahead of her. Danitra is the class clown who makes Zuri forget her troubles. Throughout the story, during the highs and lows, the girls are always there for one another. This story teaches children to stick with their friends in good times and bad. "Danitra Brown, Class Clown" is appropriate for grades one through five.
Stacy Natal
This book can be used in so many ways. The story is told in a series of easily understood (for intermediate grades) poems about friendship. There is rich vocabulary. It would be great to use at the beginning of the school year as a starting off for discussions about friendship, and seeing things in a positive light, or about celebrating differences in individuals. The watercolor illustrations beautifully complement the richness of the poems.
Ouida Robinson
Feb 21, 2015 Ouida Robinson rated it really liked it
Author: Nikki Grimes

Title: Danitra Brown, Class Clown

Plot: This is a story of how Zuri tells about her friend Danitra Brown and her fun adventures at school.

Setting: School

Characters: Zuri Jackson; Danitra Brown

Point of view: First person

Theme: Characters and Values; Friends and Friendship

Style: Realistic Fiction

Notes: This is a good book for students to read about friendship and fun at school.
Rochelle
Jun 04, 2016 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Nikki Grimes captures in verse the unparalleled wonderfulness of having a true friend in school that lifts you up, makes you laugh, feels your pain, is there for you through and through. I want to share this story at the beginning of the school year to inspire young readers to be and find their own Danita Brown.
Sep 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it

I hope she's wrong.
I need my rest.
I'm way too sick
to take a test.

Also, just look at that spunk on the front cover--
everyone needs a friend like her in their life.
Savannah
I absolutely loooooooove this book!!! Its a book of poems that tell a story of this young girls school year. You may seriously laugh and then later you may cry. Great for students of all ages. Im sure theres a poem in there that they can relate to.
Autumn
5 stars for the expression on Danitra Brown's face on the cover. The watercolors in this book are wonderful, vibrant and capture the essence of actual kids. As a quiet person who always relished a good loud friend in school, this one struck home for me.
Emerson School  Library
I love that these short rhyming poems create such a strong narrative about friendship and school. They offer a great opportunity to discuss character development. The watercolor illustrations complement the sweetness of the poems, while the rhymes make the narrative as catchy as it is realistic.
Crystal
This is a great book for the beginning of the school year. Zuri is worried about the new year with a new teacher, but her friend Danitra is there for her. Danitra has a strong sense of self and doesn't seem to be a worrier so she balances out Zuri. They are a great example of friendship.
Cathy
Jan 03, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Best friends Danitra Brown and Zuri Jackson have different views about how to interact with challenges in life and at school. Zuri is the deep thinker and Danitra takes a more carefree, fun approach. Zuri knows that she can depend on Danitra whenever she needs support.
Jessica
Sep 29, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Danitra Brown is Zuri Jackson bestfriend. Zuri often gets anxious and nervous at school but Danitra always makes it better
Kiah Roberts
Dec 04, 2016 Kiah Roberts rated it liked it
.....realistic view of the world, and of school. The watercolor style is used along with great detail to show a lifelike and authentic school setting.
Mz. Carter
Oct 03, 2012 Mz. Carter rated it liked it
This was a good little short book. It was true.
Mark
Mar 26, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Great combination of artwork and poems that interconnect.
Carman
Danitra Brown is a book of poems that tell one complete story of friendship. This is a nice book to use in class to illustrate different types of writing and poetry.
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2015
Alicia Thompson
Apr 04, 2017 Alicia Thompson rated it really liked it
We're homeschoolers and I appreciated this book very much for exposing my children to some of the trials, tribulations and enjoyment of what we call "building school." The relationship between the narrator and Danitra Brown is very endearing. Each page is a small poem concerning a different aspect of school. I enjoyed it a lot. I will check it out again in the future for my younger children. But we wouldn't read it over and over again the way you would traditional story book.
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2017
Frie
Frie rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016