Start by marking “My Hope for Peace: tk” as Want to Read:
My Hope for Peace: tk

My Hope for Peace: tk

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From the distinguished educator, international crusader for humanitarian causes, and widow of the Nobel Peace Prize-winner President Anwar Sadat comes a foolproof plan for peace in the Middle East.

In 1979, the Camp David Accords, brokered by Jimmy Carter between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, culminated in the signing of the his
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Hope for Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Hope for Peace

Debbie
Though this book contains information about Jehan Sadat's life and her husband, it's focus is more on the political than the personal. Jehan grew up in a middle class family in Egypt, and her father was Muslim while her mother was a Christian. I found it very interesting to see her view (as an educated Muslim woman) of events in the Middle East, on Islam, and on women's rights.

She discusses the history of Egypt (from about 1928 through 2008), of the modern idea of political Islam, and of the beg
Jennifer Abdo
I'm still torn on whether Egypt did the right thing in making peace with Israel or left Palestinians high and dry, but over all the book left me with a great deal of respect for Sadat and his wife.

The book is touted as her plan for peace, but I'd say that is not at all what it is about. The greater theme of forgiveness and understanding definitely applies, but some of her specifics are all wrong. She thinks there is a resolution to the refugee problem in letting them return to the region, but n
Jimmy
Of all the heroes I have ever had in life, there is no one I have admired more than Anwar Sadat of Egypt. Since he was assassinated, I guess the next best thing would be to hear his wife's story of Egypt. The book turns out to be a hodgepodge of history and personal memoir of Middle Eastern conflicts. It is worth reading just for the history alone.

One chapter I enjoyed in particular was the one about Egyptian women who fought for women's rights in Egypt. They include Huda Sha'arawi, Ceza Nabara
Danielle Lentz
I liked this book. More people need to read it and especially the people caught in this situation. I think Mrs. Sadat's main purpose in writing this book is to promote greater understanding but also to help continue the work her husband started in the late 70's. Peace is possible but only if all the parties involved are willing to come to the table to discuss openly and fairly and set aside past differences. I found her chapter on Egyptian women to be very interesting. I had never heard about an ...more
Sharifah Alshahab
The content of the book didn't really mirror its title. Johan Sadat wrote little of her hope for peace and took the opportunity to address certain historical issues as well as justified some of the actions her husband took as president at the time.

But to be fair, perhaps when talking about the Middle East, history does entail a large part of it. It was really an informative and insightful book, nevertheless.
Linconter
An excellent story that recounts Mme. Sadat's political life in Egypt, her husband's political agenda, his death, their Muslim faith and how it is different from the way it is perceived by most people affected by Western journalism, and her thoughts on how to wage peace in the world. Very thought-provoking. And a reassurance that if women were in charge, there probably wouldn't be wars.
Linda
Jehan Sadat, the widow of Andwar Sadat, reaffirms his vision for peace in the Middle East. She confirmed my belief that all good religion is about God (however you define him/her) and love. Included is an abbreviated history of the Middle East as well as insight into the woman's movement. This would be a great book discussion book.
Mary Robinson
If you want a simple, easy to read description of Islam and how it differs from the fanatical definition that we are constantly being shown by the media, this is a good read. I have a special interest in Islam, but I learned a lot in this book.
Lynne
Read this for AAUW Adelante book group. Dr. Sadat's work as a speaker and in academia is important. This gives some good background on her husband's life and efforts toward peace.
Faten Eassa
Book tells a great lot about Sadat's philosophy and awesome insight. It also tries to show that peace today could be attained if people really want it. Good to read it.
Beth
Fascinating book and very well written. Sadat was privy to so many historical events, and she relays their stories beautifully. I would love to hear her speak sometime.
Tracey Cruickshank
I have a lot of respect for Anwar Sadat's widow. S he is so brave, and progressive. I enjoyed reading her story.
Amy
I tried and tried, but just couldn't get into this.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 30, 2014
Ahmed Osama
Ahmed Osama marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Omar Farid
Omar Farid marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Joy Fulkerson
Joy Fulkerson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sandra Bell
Sandra Bell marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Interview with Jehan Sadat 1 7 Jun 12, 2009 01:35PM
A Woman of Egypt A Woman Of Egypt My Hope for Peace Meine Hoffnung auf Frieden: Mit einem Vorwort von Helmut Schmidt (German Edition) The Sadat Lectures: Words and Images on Peace, 1997-2008