Start by marking “Testing Computer Software” as Want to Read:
Testing Computer Software

Testing Computer Software

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This book will teach you how to test computer software under real-world conditions. The authors have all been test managers and software development managers at well-known Silicon Valley software companies. Successful consumer software companies have learned how to produce high-quality products under tight time and budget constraints. The book explains the testing side of ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 480 pages
Published April 26th 1999 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Testing Computer Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testing Computer Software

Kimball
I didn't read this cover-to-cover. It's a rather good book, but aspects of it are now a little dated, and I found other resources more useful overall. Most especially, I found Cem Kaner's free online testing class much more informative and useful. Mostly, I felt like there was a large part of this book that didn't feel terribly applicable to my testing problems, even if it is useful to help examine different ways of looking at tests and test ideas. It's just that better work has been done since. ...more
Nathaniel Turner
I'll start off with a little honesty: I didn't read the last three and a half chapters of this book. In part, this was because the library wanted the book back. More than that, it's because those chapters are really, really long.

The information in this book is extremely useful for anyone in the software testing business. There are basic principles which pervade eras and technology, and this book addresses those effectively and thoroughly.

Unfortunately, there is also the minor issue of technologi
Kate B
While the examples are out of date, testing methodology doesn't really change if you're testing dot matrix printers or iPhone apps. This is a standard QA reference book for a reason.
Chris
Excellent book on the methods, advantages and hazards of software testing. I have seen objections that this book is dated, but it certainly covers the basics. If someone tries to sell you a silver bullet, for better or worse, you are likely to find a lot of relevance here.
Ian Carl
This book is great giving you a rundown on what to expect in the testing process and how to go about thinking of test cases. However, I was really hoping this book would actually have shown more code, both in the sense of the testing code, and the code that's being tested.
Galen
Feb 27, 2008 Galen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SQA engineers on a COTS development team.
This is the seminal work for the practicing software quality assurance engineer. At least it was back when I was testing COTS software. It seemed a little less useful for testing web applications when I tried to get the test team to read it.
Adib
I will recommend this book for fresher. This book organized in such a way so that fresher or newbie testers can learn about testing theory , philosophy and can also get practical experience on Software Testing.
Dennis
Great introduction to the field. Thorough explanation of motivation, challenges, and terminology. Probably a bit outdated, but I think the principles are still applicable.
Coral Rose
What I learned? Um...everything I know about computer testing that didn't just spontaneously generate in my head.
Kevin Connery
Solid information, but very dated examples.
Mikhail
It's fundamentional book of testing software.
Kari
Actually has some good stuff in it!
Maram Al-amaal
Oct 13, 2013 Maram Al-amaal marked it as to-read
good
Kevin Way
Kevin Way marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Lance
Lance is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Maryna Kolodezhna
Maryna Kolodezhna marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Ed Pichler
Ed Pichler marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
YRYS
YRYS added it
Jun 12, 2015
Oliver
Oliver added it
Jun 09, 2015
Ксения
Ксения marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Anton Kolomiets
Anton Kolomiets marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Микита К
Микита К marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Missy
Missy added it
May 18, 2015
Maitri
Maitri marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • Software Testing: A Craftsman's Approach
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • Test Driven Development: By Example

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
James dropped out of high school and became a self-educated software engineer. He's an expert in software testing. He has written two books: Lessons Learned in Software Testing and Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar."
More about Cem Kaner...
Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach Bad Software: What To Do When Software Fails The Domain Testing Workbook BBST Foundations of Software Testing Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach