Start by marking “Testing Computer Software” as Want to Read:
Testing Computer Software

Testing Computer Software

This book will teach you how to test computer software under real-world conditions. The authors have all been test managers and software development managers at well-known Silicon Valley software companies. Successful consumer software companies have learned how to produce high-quality products under tight time and budget constraints. The book explains the testing side of ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 480 pages
Published April 26th 1999 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1987)

Kimball
Jun 13, 2012 Kimball rated it liked it
I didn't read this cover-to-cover. It's a rather good book, but aspects of it are now a little dated, and I found other resources more useful overall. Most especially, I found Cem Kaner's free online testing class much more informative and useful. Mostly, I felt like there was a large part of this book that didn't feel terribly applicable to my testing problems, even if it is useful to help examine different ways of looking at tests and test ideas. It's just that better work has been done since. ...more
Nathaniel Turner
Oct 09, 2013 Nathaniel Turner rated it liked it
I'll start off with a little honesty: I didn't read the last three and a half chapters of this book. In part, this was because the library wanted the book back. More than that, it's because those chapters are really, really long.

The information in this book is extremely useful for anyone in the software testing business. There are basic principles which pervade eras and technology, and this book addresses those effectively and thoroughly.

Unfortunately, there is also the minor issue of technologi
Kate B
Apr 10, 2011 Kate B rated it really liked it
While the examples are out of date, testing methodology doesn't really change if you're testing dot matrix printers or iPhone apps. This is a standard QA reference book for a reason.
Galen
Feb 27, 2008 Galen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SQA engineers on a COTS development team.
This is the seminal work for the practicing software quality assurance engineer. At least it was back when I was testing COTS software. It seemed a little less useful for testing web applications when I tried to get the test team to read it.
Ian Carl
Feb 21, 2013 Ian Carl rated it liked it
This book is great giving you a rundown on what to expect in the testing process and how to go about thinking of test cases. However, I was really hoping this book would actually have shown more code, both in the sense of the testing code, and the code that's being tested.
Adib
Jun 02, 2013 Adib rated it it was amazing
I will recommend this book for fresher. This book organized in such a way so that fresher or newbie testers can learn about testing theory , philosophy and can also get practical experience on Software Testing.
Chris
May 23, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the methods, advantages and hazards of software testing. I have seen objections that this book is dated, but it certainly covers the basics. If someone tries to sell you a silver bullet, for better or worse, you are likely to find a lot of relevance here.
Namida
Jul 18, 2016 Namida rated it it was amazing
Excellent summary of the software testing field. The examples are understandably dated, but remain clear and purposeful. If you are new to testing and unsure of where to begin, this is it.
Dennis
Apr 06, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, testing
Great introduction to the field. Thorough explanation of motivation, challenges, and terminology. Probably a bit outdated, but I think the principles are still applicable.
Coral Rose
Feb 24, 2009 Coral Rose rated it it was ok
Shelves: work, own
What I learned? Um...everything I know about computer testing that didn't just spontaneously generate in my head.
Chris Martin
Chris Martin rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Laxminarayan
Laxminarayan rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Serge
Serge rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Rian Mueller
Rian Mueller rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Santosh
Feb 27, 2016 Santosh rated it really liked it
recommend for QA
Jakub T
Jakub T rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Ludmila Ekzamengirl
Ludmila Ekzamengirl rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Shannon_ISI
Shannon_ISI rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Daniel Sayson
Daniel Sayson rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Christopher Plambeck
Christopher Plambeck rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2007
Robert Spitzer
Robert Spitzer rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Tisha Havens
Tisha Havens rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2016
Alexander L.
Alexander L. rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Larry Levine
Larry Levine rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Eki Baskoro
Eki Baskoro rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Maia Sulpico
Maia Sulpico rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Wilson Bright
Wilson Bright rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Daria
Daria rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
  • Software Project Survival Guide
  • Software Testing Techniques
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Software Testing: A Craftsman's Approach
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Death March
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • The Art of Agile Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Cem Kaner is a Professor of Software Engineering at Florida Institute of Technology, and the Director of Florida Tech's Center for Software Testing Education & Research (CSTER) since 2004. He is perhaps best known outside academia as an advocate of software usability and software testing.

Prior to his professorship, Kaner worked in the software industry beginning in 1983 in Silicon Valley "as a
More about Cem Kaner...