Start by marking “Green Witch (Green Angel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Green Witch (Green Angel, #2)

Green Witch (Green Angel #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,121 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
From bestselling author Alice Hoffman, a resonant tale of overcoming grief and tragedy, as only she could tell it.

In this powerful, lovely sequel to GREEN ANGEL, Green must learn the stories of a number of "witches" and free her true soul mate from a prison as she grapples with life, love, and loss in a post-disaster world.
Published March 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Green Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Witch

Heather
I've read so many books lately where they all sound the same and the characters are stereotypical. That's probably why I found this book to be a little gem. It's just a mere 135 pages long, but it's full of beautiful, poetic detailing. Hardly any dialogue, which I'm not used to, nevertheless, it makes sense because of the nature of the story and the loneliness of the characters.

This book had tragic to romantic imagery and emotions. Maybe it's the books I've read recently or the mood I'm in toda
Ana Mardoll
Mar 31, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Green Witch / 978-0-545-14195-6

A direct sequel to "Green Angel", this novel is that most rare and lovely of sequels - one that makes you appreciate the first all the more. Whereas "Green Angel" explored the deep themes of pain, loss, and rebirth in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy, "Green Witch" explores the growth and renewal that can take place after that rebirth has occurred.

In the same dreamy, magical realism tone employed in the first novel, the titular character Green travels through
Melanie
Jul 31, 2015 Melanie rated it it was ok
I had a hard time following this story and didn't really like it...I feel like maybe the genre isn't for me? Or maybe I needed to have read book one first? I didn't like how the dialogue was written in the book (italicized and not in quotes), but that's just a minor dislike. All in all, just not for me.
Amanda Hoffmann
Feb 19, 2011 Amanda Hoffmann rated it really liked it
This sequel was even better than Green Angel. Alice Hoffman's prose is lyrical, reminding me of Francesca Lia Block with less sex and drugs. This story is short but complete, without "filler" events and tangled plot twists.

Green Witch is a fairy tale narrated by Green, a sixteen-year-old who has lost her entire family to a destructive fire set by the Horde (not the same Horde from She-ra ;). Green lives alone in a cottage nearly obscured by her thriving garden. Her magic causes the plants to flo
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 24, 2012 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing
I found out about this book because my daughter was interested in reading Green Angel. I searched here on Goodreads and to my surprise--and excitement--found there was a sequel. Then I found it at the local library and just had to borrow it.

My daughter actually read it before me, and she told me it was lovely. I picked it up yesterday and read it in a few sittings... and she was right. This is another beautiful, haunting, heart-breaking story about Green. She lost everything a year ago, but is n
Alissa Bach
Apr 21, 2010 Alissa Bach rated it it was amazing
Green Witch picks up where Green Angel left off. A year has passed since the city across the river was destroyed, leaving the residents of the village to pick up the pieces, rebuild the best they can, and mourn those who were trapped in the city at the time of the catastrophe. Green, now 16 going on 17, has shed her armor of nail-covered boots and leather jacket and has become Green once more. Everything she touches revives and thrives--everything, that is, except for her own heart, which broke ...more
Grace
Jan 01, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-or-syfy
Sequels can be incredibly hit or miss, but I'm happy to say that Green Witch did a good job. A continuation of where Green Angel left off, this shows more of the world and more of the enemies and what they did. This is what started Green Angel's story: the enemies destroying the city and how people reacted to their murdered families.*

The writing was just as good as before, the characters grew and we were introduced to new ones. I feel like the witches all seemed to blend in with each other, thou
Anne Osterlund
Jun 27, 2011 Anne Osterlund rated it liked it
Green is on a mission to record the stories of the people who survived the disaster. Those who watched friends and family burn when the Horde attacked. Those who lost everything they had once valued. Or failed to value.

And most of all, the stories of The Enchanted—the women who are now being described as witches.

Green herself has power. The power to turn ash into living, growing life.

But does she have the power to love? And the strength to seek that story for herself?

Green Witch, Alice Hoffman’s
Ruth
Mar 27, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
This book is haunting and beautifully written. It's a short book, but it creates characters and a world that totally engaged me. A young woman finds herself after her world is destroyed.

I also read Green Angel, the first of the two books, but I was captivated by Green Witch. This may become a trilogy. I hope Alice Hoffman writes more about this world and this young woman named Green.

Just re-read this book along with the companion title, Green Angel, and I still think this is a beautiful tale w
Sherry Dale Rogers
Aug 04, 2010 Sherry Dale Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Breathtaking does not even begin to explain the sheer beauty of writing between these pages.

Hoffman captures the readers mind and heart taking us on a journey to face our fears and embrace the difficult. Between the pages a romantic elegance is captured in the way this story is written. Not just romance between characters but a romance between reader and writer.

I applaud Hoffman for this remarkable read. Truly a diamond. I recommend to all.
Desiree.osman osman
Jan 21, 2013 Desiree.osman osman rated it liked it
This book was kind of slow in the beginning but as I kept reading, it got a lot better. It is a book about a girl living life after a major tragedy and trying to fulfill her future. It wasn’t my favorite book though, because I don't think there was enough description so you had to really think about things while you read.I recommend this book for anyone that likes a good book book about bravery and adventures.
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Love the magical elements of this book, and the overall message it seems to be sending to those who want to terrorize, those who want to destroy what they do not believe in. Love conquers all, as they say. You can't stop people from rising out of the ashes and beginning anew. Human strength and spirit cannot be stifled.

Take that, terrorists!

Shawna
Nov 09, 2016 Shawna rated it it was amazing
This is another beautifully written book by Alice Hoffman. I loved the book before this one so I was excited to read this one and a little nervous at the same time. I was so glad that Green Witch went was worth reading and read like the first book. I will definitely be reading both of these books again soon.

Since I finished the book today, I had to make a trip to the used book store tonight to some more books by this author. I am happy that I came home with 4 more books. Now the fun decision of
Brittany Paletta
Nov 30, 2016 Brittany Paletta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Message to the author - thank you. I am grateful for this story
Alison
Apr 11, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
Two magical little books, I loved both Green Angel and Green Witch by Alice Hoffman.

I am reviewing them together, because they really are two parts to a whole. To read one without the other would be like eating jelly without the peanut butter.

One tragic day, the city near which 16 year old Green and her family lived was engulfed in a blaze reminiscent of 9/11. Green's family was in the city that day selling the produce they grew on their farm. They never came home. Ash covered the farm and eve
Amanda
May 09, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book is the sequel to Green Angel, a book I read for a reading requirement during my junior year of high school. I remember not enjoying the book because of the dark topics it discussed, but now I realize the merit of it and appreciate what I could not while I was a teenager. My taste in fiction and books has changed drastically during my four years of college education as an English major because I realized that not all fiction that discusses dangerous topics is dangerous. A book is what y ...more
Ana Mardoll
Mar 05, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Green Witch / 978-0-545-14195-6

Melissa
Mar 10, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
cross posted at my book blog

Green Witch is Alice Hoffman’s followup to her previous young adult book, Green Angel. The story picks up where the previous one left off, answering the many questions that the reader is left with at the end of Green Angel.

In Green Angel, Green is a sixteen year old girl who is left to struggle and survive after her entire family perishes in a massive fire; everyone in the city is affected by the disaster. Green Witch takes place a year later. By this point, everyone
Meredith
Feb 02, 2016 Meredith rated it it was amazing
"The frightened walk away from when love is difficult. I know that now. You have to be willing to give everything away. You have to be willing to end with nothing."

Another great book by Alice Hoffman! This book is the sequel to Green Angel. After reading Green Angel, I couldn't stop thinking about that little book and how beautiful the message was. I had learned there was a sequel to it and was curious to see how a sequel would be since the book can really stand on its own.

Well, even if I tho
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine
Green used to think her story was written. The day her beloved city was burned to the ground seemed to be the end of things. Her mother, her father, and her beautiful sister were gone. The boy she loves is far away searching for his own family. The past is filled with dangerous memories and the future seems like a distant hope. So Green tries to focus on the present.

As her village tries to rebuild, Green tends her garden and collects the stories of the survivors. When Green sets out to find the
Caroline
Jan 19, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
Alice Hoffman returns to finish Green's story of renewal and coping for good this time. While Green Angel was about the titular character's grief and how she overcame it, Green Witch is about the titular character helping others overcome their own grief, and through it all how she came to plant the seeds of a new life. Green is living well enough in her garden, the community of survivors of the fire in the first book are getting along slowly, until one day Green stumbles across a being known as ...more
Paula Griffith
Jan 15, 2011 Paula Griffith rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, but I am glad I took the time to read Green Angel first. Green Angel takes place right after the disaster in the city that took Green's parents and sister, and in this first book we come to know Green's quiet strength and compassion for others. In Green Witch, Green allow us to see the aftermath of the disaster, the distrust of the city people, and the zealotry of the "Horde" who decided that the city people had to die. There are so many things going on in this relatively shor ...more
Jessica Price
This book was absolutely beautiful. There's something about the way Alice Hoffman writes that just makes me go, "This is brilliant."
This book is definitely different than the first one, but that's not a bad thing. It's different because in order for there to be a second book, it HAD to be different. The story fits along perfectly, and she incorporates things from the first book that even I had forgot, and I had just read it right before I started Green Witch. I also like that the subject matter
Erin
Mar 28, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This was a beautifully written follow-up to Green Angel. It's been almost a year since the fire, and Green and her village have managed to rebuild and get back to a life as normal as possible. Diamond has still not returned, but Green manages to thrive despite losing half her heart to the boy she loved.

In Witch, we learn that the fires were started by a group called the Horde, a cult of people determined to bring them all to a stand-still and take away their progress. They are determined to ret
Liza

Hoffman’s second book about the magical girl Green is even better than the first. This time around the story is a bit more linear, a bit more action oriented and forward-moving. It has a quest feel to it. Green goes in search of “the Enchanted”, a group of women who are called witches for the powers that they possess. Green does not seem to realize or believe that she is one of these witches, as the title of the story suggests.

Much of the same imagery as in Green Angel recurs here, although some

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by AdrienneBe for TeensReadToo.com

Even though Green is better off than right after the great disaster and destruction of her world, she still has so much to despair about. She is still alone, without her family and the boy she loves.

In order to find out who she really is, Green heads out to a world she believed she could never before face for the chance to find all the love, answers, freedom, and retribution she has been searching for.

On her journey, Green learns to fight for love no ma
Carmen Yeung
Aug 25, 2011 Carmen Yeung rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Carmen by: library
This book isnt on the list, it was a recommendation off the library shelf. It started off with Green losing her whole family in the disaster Hordes caused. Hordes are people that doesnt like advancements and always want to last forever in the past, for example there will not be equality in men and women and there is no electronics. Green was living in a bizzard place, she also lost the love of her life. She is scared that her love, Diamond has joined the army of the Hordes. She also misses her f ...more
Kyleigh Trott
Aug 05, 2012 Kyleigh Trott rated it it was amazing
Ever since reading the first Green, I always wondered how it ended. "Diamond is away, and Green is all alone. . ." I thought. Sure, she has Onion (and what a lovable dog he is), but everybody she knows is gone.

Imagine my surprise when I find out that there is a sequel! And, much to my delight, I find that it's written in the same style as the first - poetic, flowing, and beautiful. Green is searching for Diamond, who is searching for his sister.

Through the ashes, a new faction of "government"
Alexa
Jul 02, 2012 Alexa rated it did not like it
I found this sequel to Green Angel to be even more annoying than the first. Some people's lyricism is other people's overwrought nonsensical tedious mysticism. I also found her not-so-subtle political message to be offensive. Particularly jarring was the contrast between Hoffman's slavish dedication to the outward forms of a fairy tale (the collection of gifts, each of which plays a critical role in the solution, etc.) and the pedestrian violence of the climax (about which the author seemed unco ...more
RNOCEAN
Jul 13, 2010 RNOCEAN rated it it was amazing
Green, whose lyrical narration was the hallmark of Hoffman's survival story Green Angel (2003), returns in an equally spellbinding tale that emphasizes themes of rebirth. A year after Green lost her family in the fiery destruction of an unnamed city, those living in a nearby village struggle to reinvent their lives. Some, rumored witches, choose to isolate themselves. Green, now almost 17, feels compelled to record their losses, but is also determined to discover the fates of two friends: Heathe ...more
Dude! A Sequel to Green Angel?! What?! 14 47 Feb 10, 2013 09:28PM
  • Rapture
  • A Book of Women Poets: From Antiquity to Now
  • The Love Songs of Sappho: Translated with an Essay by Paul Roche
  • Bitterroot Landing
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • Centuries of June
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • The Possibility of Fireflies
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Okko: The Cycle of Water (Okko, #1)
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • The Dream Stealer
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Anecdotes of Destiny and Ehrengard
Alice Hoffman was born in New York City on March 16, 1952 and grew up on Long Island. After graduating from high school in 1969, she attended Adelphi University, from which she received a BA, and then received a Mirrellees Fellowship to the Stanford University Creative Writing Center, which she attended in 1973 and 74, receiving an MA in creative writing. She currently lives in Boston and New York ...more
More about Alice Hoffman...

Green Angel (2 books)
  • Green Angel (Green Angel, #1)

“I'm at the point where going forward is easier than going back.” 47 likes
“What you dream, you can grow. Someone told me that, but I didn't believe it. I said I had nothing and that people with nothing are unable to dream. But I was wrong.” 24 likes