Start by marking “The Master of Rampling Gate” as Want to Read:
The Master of Rampling Gate

The Master of Rampling Gate

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  856 ratings  ·  40 reviews
"Vook presents a powerful story by the undisputed Queen of Vampire Literature, Anne Rice. The Master of Rampling Gate is a chilling tale of vampiric seduction enhanced by seductive videos about vampires, the black plague, the gothic style, and Anne Rice herself.

Set in the gasslit streets of 1888 London and the wild moors of the countryside beyond, The Master of Rampling Ga
Published October 1st 1991 by Innovative (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Master of Rampling Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master of Rampling Gate

Savannah
Aug 15, 2007 Savannah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, rice fans, NON RICE FANS, Those fond of Gothic style stories
This is actually my favorite thing I've read by Anne Rice unless you count the Beauty Trilogy. Even then, the writing here is streamlined from her usual unending babbling (and I'm an Anne Rice FAN) and is thus vastly superior to her other works. I might get some hate for that opinion, but it's true.

Additionally, it is in the style of a good gothic story. I'm talking about the literary movement here, not the people who dress up and listen to Bella Lugosi's Dead (though I'm one of those too) or t
Paula Cappa
I loved this story for its atmospheric, imaginative qualities, and drama--and of course the Anne Rice flavors we all love. Julie the main character is so loveable and charming and when she and her brother Richard go to their inherited estate, Rampling Gate outside of London, they discover more than a quiet home in the countryside. There is a mysterious intruder. The blind housekeeper is very clear that “No ghost would ever dare to trouble Rampling Gate.” Ha! What about an "unspeakable menace"? T ...more
Kellie Ann
I was actually very surprised by this book. It was written in the very same fashion that Anne Rice writes all of her literary works (faster pace, smooth flow, and a lot of detail). The main thing that I enjoyed about this story was though there was a lot of detail it did not drag this book out. Many of the reviews i had read previous to reading this were of people complaining about how short it was, however, in my opinion if this was any longer it would have been too dragged out and may have los ...more
Vicky
Rampling Gates has the presence of a character. Right from the beginning, it's obvious that's what the author was reaching for:

"But I was born in that house, as my father was, and his father before him. You must do it now, Richard. It has no claim on you. Tear it down."

In the first few pages, mrs Rice shows the extent of her experience, everything is set up rapidly, as it should in a short story. You have the overwhelming presence of the site, established by the father first, who observes it has
Angie
Mar 02, 2014 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror paranormal
Recommended to Angie by: no one
The only complaint I have is that the book is to short. The vampire and the Rampling family could have been developed into a much longer novel. There are6 short videos attached to the book with interviews with Anne rice explaining the reasons why she wrote about vampires. This alone made it worth buying this book. The descriptions of the house, and the brief history of the times was as usual for her books really good.
Shelley
I'm reading a Vook.
Part book, part video, Vook!
Interactive reading was great.
There are not many Vooks available but
try one if you can. I read mine on my
iPhone.
Teresa White
Not a huge fan of short stories, but this one was Imaginative
and a good read.
Jenni
Oct 09, 2011 Jenni rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenni by: Karen
Read this for my Oct. book club. First time reading Anne Rice. I liked her writing style.

I enjoyed the mixing of old issues (ie black plague) with the modern. As should happen in a short story, Rice wastes no time setting up the premise and the intrigue. I was bitten (get it?... you will after you read it) with interest immediately.

The conflict ( honor Father and moral obligation to him or follow the selfish whims of passion) is predictable. And I did feel that the romance was thin: lacking jus
Scarlet
Nov 05, 2014 Scarlet marked it as against-anonymity
All my reviews are written using a pen name. I choose not to use my real name for my own protection and I won't be forced by anyone to do otherwise.

I have chosen not to read and review this book. You can find my reasons for this HERE.

Michelle
I loved this... Hunted it down for ages but then came across it on Nook... It shows that she wrote this before The Vampire Chronicles (and yes I am a fan of that series) minus the religion that so dogs her later work ( as Dracula in Dracula 2000 says with distaste, Too Catholic...)
Beautifully written... Haunting and seductive... Will be a re read...
Julia
Feb 02, 2013 Julia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne Rice fans
Shelves: written-reviews
I was not aware that this was a short story (25 pages includes everything, including the "inspiration" chapter and the embedded videos). Not exactly happy spending over $5 for a magazine article, but that's beside the point.

This is a short story in the same style as Anne's Vampire Chronicles, perhaps our introduction to her vampire world. It's very clever and a very brief look into the "life" of a vampire - his infinite lifespan and his transformation into a vampire. I loved the brief look into
Dorian Driscoll
While the story is entertaining, I would not have expected to see so many problems in a story so short by an author so experienced:

Rebecca
The story, purely English, is typical of Anne Rice's style. She mixes old times and new times. She mixes historical dramatic times (the plague, the Black Death) with modern times. She also gives her vampires a loving and lovable side which makes them indestructible at least for sane human beings who do not see any reason to destroy someone or something in the fact that he or it is slightly different, and even a lot different. Here the trick is that in modern times it is a woman who is mesmerized ...more
laura bramblett
Robbed

What a disappointment! Wanted a lot more..didn't know this was a 10 minute read. I love ann rice but not worth the money
Tanya A Nance
Wonderful.

Loved the Vook book. Lots of information in the videos within each chapter would greatly recommend everyone to get this Vook.
Renee King - Hooks
I have just reread this within the last month. A page turner you can't put down unless you skip to the end - no, I didn't.
Brandon Fryman
Great short story by Anne Rice. It reminds me of both her Vampire series and her new Wolf series.
Darth
Quick little read, so it did not ramble on like many Anne Rice books - but there also was not much in the way of developing the story, or the rich descriptions you can do when you have a longer piece.

All in all, not terrible, but it did not particularly engage me, or my imagination.
Bridget
Very short story. There were some embedded video features that I didn't have the opportunity to view since my Kindle was not set up to access them. Could have been cool. Besides that this was an hour or so read. Nice as an intro to Anne Rice vampire classics. But after reading her for years this was just not enough for me. I would recommend this to anyone interested in just getting a little taste of Anne Rice' s classic vampire novels. A nice intro or a short read for an hour.
Carla
Anne Rice is a master of gothic horror, and that expertise shines through in this delicious Victorian vampire tale. Complete with elements of lust, death, and revival, I was hooked from the beginning and I finished the novella literally in minutes. I enjoyed it so much that I'm inspired to go back and re-read anything I may have missed by Rice, which admittedly isn't much. I was a fan before reading The Master of Rampling Gate, and I'm perhaps even more of a fan now.
Jimmy
May 27, 2011 Jimmy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne Rice & Vampire Fans
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
Shelves: enhanced-ebook
It’s no big surprise that I loved this short story. Of course I loved it. It’s Anne Rice, and I’m a big fan of hers. It’s not necessary for you to read any of the Vampire Chronicle books because this story has nothing to do with them, even though it seems to have one or two similarities. I didn’t buy into the romance between the two characters however; this still remains to be a super gothic/horror story. Vampire fans should give this dark yet fun read a try.
Patricia
This was my first Anne Rice story. I plan to read Interview with the Vampire for Halloween but haven't gotten to it yet, due to an influx of on-order library books becoming available all at once. I figured I'd read this short story first to whet my appetite for blood gothic vampire stories. I like her style and, even though I'm not a big fan of mythical creatures who feast on the lives of mortals, I am looking forward to meeting the vampire Lestat.
Jim
Very quick; basically a short story that I can see her spinning out to a something longer in the future. And I do love anything Anne Rice writes about vamps!
Julie Unruh
I was going through withdrawal from Anne Rice's vampires, until I found this book, I have never read anything like it or a graphic novel of one of her stories. It was quite good, but if these two vampires, which they don't mention the male vampire's name, but the girl he turns into a vampire is named Julie, and they start the Mayfair estate of born Witches.
Keshena
I ransacked the internet for this story in high school with no luck, now I have two different anthologies featuring it-it's all about timing! Rice is such a versatile writer. She skillfully combines her signature voluptuous style with that of a Victorian English horror, a'la Sheridan Le Fanu. It's a truly beautiful piece of work.
Keith
Have been wanting to read this book for years but couldn't get hold of it. finally i found it and it didn't disappoint, short (a magazine story after all) but very sweet indeed blood is the life after all. Would recommend this book to any vampire lover.
Megan
I read this for a class i'm taking and enjoyed it . This is the only work by Anne Rice i've read and was pleasantly surprised. I don't think i would have read it if it wasn't for the push that i had gotten from my class.
Charlene
This review is for the VOOK version of The Master of Rampling Gate. A good short story made more interesting by adding videos. The videos not being so much about the story but more about Anne Rice and New Orleans.
Lauren Gommert
This is a decent example of Rice's spellbinding work. She weaves a beautiful, though predictable, short story about the mysterious Rampling Estate. A quick read worth a look.
Renee
cute little short story. was confused on the gender of the narrator until about halfway thru. but still a great story but the Vampire Queen.
  • Prism of the Night: A Biography of Anne Rice
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • In the Shadow of the Vampire: Reflections from the World of Anne Rice
  • Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Devoted (Devoted, #1)
  • Come The Night (Vampire/Werewolf Trilogy, #3)
  • The Witchery (Herculine, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty Box Set
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • Blood Thirst: 100 Years of Vampire Fiction
  • The Grandissimes: A Story of Creole Life
  • The Moonlit Earth
  • Inside the Wardrobe of Anne Boleyn
  • 61 A.D.
  • Madame Lalaurie, Mistress of the Haunted House
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...
Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3) The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)