Start by marking “Fair Sunshine: Character Studies of the Scottish Covenanters” as Want to Read:
Fair Sunshine: Character Studies of the Scottish Covenanters

Fair Sunshine: Character Studies of the Scottish Covenanters

Many volumes deal with that terrible yet glorious period in the history of the Scottish church between the restoration of Charles II and the accession of William III, but Fair Sunshine deserves a place alongside the very best of them.
Published September 1st 1991 by Banner of Truth (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Fair Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair Sunshine

Aug 29, 2016 Abrahamus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book chronicles the plight of Scottish Covenanters of the 16th and 17th centuries and the vicious persecutions they endured – confiscation of property, torture, rape, imprisonment, and execution – throughout their resistance to the absolutist aspirations of the Stuart monarchs and their ecclesiastical cronies, most intensely during the 28-year period following the Restoration of the monarchy under Charles II in 1660 and continuing until the Glorious Revolution of 1688. The lives and deaths ...more
Jacob Aitken
Is what its title says. Not as informative as Scots Worthies, but in many ways more accessible. Some beautiful chapters. Purves' prose is filled with an abundance of the Spirit of God.
Sep 15, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, christian
I never finished reading this book. Maybe, one day, I'll have the stomach to read the rest of the book.

It is so sad the vicious nature some Christians had in regards to other Christians during the English wars. This book demonstrates some of the torture, the devices used, in trying to get Christians to convert from a basic belief in Jesus as head of the church, to the King of England as head of the church. The same type nonsense was happening in the Continent with the Pope, the Roman Church, ag
Ian Rees
Sep 02, 2016 Ian Rees rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
This is a profoundly stirring account of men and women who resisted the governments of Charles II and James II on spiritual grounds and often paid with their lives. Particularly moving is the account of the drowning of two women in the sea off Wigtown. They truly counted their lives as nothing and died in faith. (My copy is an earlier edition.)
Nov 06, 2013 Ceira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short portraits of some Scottish notables during the times of persicution in Scotland, including Richard Cameron, Donald Cargill, and the Solway martyrs. Includes pieces of their testimonies they left when awaiting the execution of their sentences, and excerpts from some letters they wrote. I came away with more books to read, ones that were referenced in the text, not just this one taken off my list.
Mar 07, 2011 Eli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was powerful to actually visit the Convenanters graveyard in Scotland after having read the book. Though some of their antics were questionable, the Covenanters have much to teach us about loyalty and courage in the face of persecution, as well as a love for the Jewish people, which really struck me.
Jason Anspach
I took a long time to read this book. A series of short biographical sketches focusing on martyrdom. Read too much of this book in a sitting and it takes on a meat grinder feel, one cruel death and then, quickly!, on to the next. Better to slow down and keep each cross bearing, faithful life in perspective.
Hong Che Hwee
Jul 01, 2015 Hong Che Hwee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never heard of the Scottish Covenanters till I read this book. Thank God for their exemplary lives, unyielding in their faith even until death. A sobering read. Their courageous faith certainly touched me, and I dare say strengthened my faith. Why? Because I can put my trust in the same Lord whom thousands before me were willing to die for.
Chris Comis
Very engaging biographies, although one does start to wonder if some of this material is hagiographical, especially after three or more bios are given wherein it seems that the Covenanters could do no wrong.
Sep 17, 2010 Larissa rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, I wish only that the episodes has been longer and more detailed about the individuals that were featured. Great starter book for anything interested in the protestant reformation in England. But also is more of a hero study. I would definately recommend it!
Benjamin Glaser
A very-readable book that tells the biography of several Covenanter men and women who were martyred for their faith and their defense of Christ's Crown and Covenant.
Jon Beadle
Jon Beadle rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Dimi Tri
Dimi Tri rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Nov 14, 2013 Frankie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Men and women whose faith was beyond exceptional. A wonderful, yet bittersweet, compilation.
Gilbert Broyles
Gilbert Broyles rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Shirley Lindsey
Shirley Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Wayne Vogelaar
Wayne Vogelaar rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Kristopher Swinson
Kristopher Swinson rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
David Martin
David Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Matt Filbert
Matt Filbert rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Adia Standard
Adia Standard rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Korey Daniel
Korey Daniel rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Marjory rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Rachel rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Gary rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Tristan rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2011
Jason Garwood
Jason Garwood rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Daniel Bankert
Daniel Bankert rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Gabriel Barnes
This book was simply amazing! It has made a big impact upon me! A must read!
« previous 1 3 next »