The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #5)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,676 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A young Sherlock Holmes arrives in London to begin his career as a private detective, catching the eye of the master criminal, Professor James Moriarty. Enter Dr. Watson, newly returned from Afghanistan, soon to make history as Holmes’ companion...

By turns both shocking and exciting, David Stuart Davies’ controversial take on the Holmes mythology is a modern classic in cri...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Titan Books (first published 2004)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I didn't much care for Davies' Holmes vs. Dracula novel, 'The Tangled Skein'. This one, however, was pretty good. It's a daring and plausible take on the Baker Street sleuth and his supporting cast, one in which Moriarty's network of associates include a disgraced army Doctor back from Afghanistan, a middle-aged actress named Kitty Hudson and a burly gent who frequents the Diogenes Club...

The mark of good Holmes pastiche is that it makes you look at the canon with new eyes, at least for a while,...more
Joanna
Jul 22, 2012 Joanna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joanna by: Baker Street Irregulars
I loved the concept, but I felt the execution was lacking. It seems like Davies pulled his punches. As a result, it doesn't make anyone very happy, not purists or people accepting of a non-traditional Holmes story. But it's not bad... just boring, in a way. In fact, I lost most of my interest in the middle of the book, when it became a pretty straightforward retelling of A Study in Scarlet. Which, if I wanted to read, I would just... read. It's a good thing I got through it, because it does pick...more
Charles Prepolec
Ah, the delightful world of ‘what if’. What if everything we thought we knew about Dr. John H. Watson was a lie? What if Watson wasn’t really Watson? What if the events surrounding the momentous meeting between Holmes and Watson in A Study in Scarlet was all a set-up orchestrated by that criminal mastermind Moriarty? What if David Stuart Davies took the above as a starting point for a new pastiche?

Well, to answer the last ‘what if’, the result is David Stuart Davies first pastiche to be publishe...more
Kati
Cathrine Bonham
May 05, 2012 Cathrine Bonham rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who read fan fiction
Shelves: sherlockia
Bad writing plus unoriginal plot elements equals Fan-fiction at its worst. First I will tackle the bad writing. Constant P O V shifts between first and third person, omniscient head hopping and more telling than showing. All rookie mistakes that I admit I am guilty of myself. The difference is that I do not have a published novel.

The only unique element in this book that Watson is really working for Moriarty. The professor hired ex Army doctor, John Walker, to spy on an up and coming young mind...more
Tiana Hanson
I'm a bit torn in this review. The book was very well written, and handled the multiple perspectives very well. I enjoyed the characterizations, and the idea of Moriarty controlling every aspect of Sherlock's existence from the famous 221B to Mrs. Hudson to Mike Stamford and the first meeting of Watson and Holmes.

The trouble with running a "what-if" story that takes pieces of canon (specifically Study in Scarlet and The Final Problem) nearly word-for-word out of the original canon is that I sta...more
Leah
Ioana
Paul
Ce livre est en fait composé de plusieurs petites histoires, faites je pense pour présenter Sherlock et ses méthodes, ainsi que chaque personnage dans son environnement d'origine. L'idée devant être ensuite de voir tous ces éléments se rencontrer et donner l'aventure principale.
Sauf qu'en conséquence, cela coupe l'élan qu'on avait commencé à prendre en lisant une de ces péripéties et on est obligé de reprendre un cours de récit différent toutes les 80 pages.

Pourquoi avoir tenu à commencer le liv...more
Bev Hankins
Timothy Tobolski
Caitlin
At First i did not like this book. I realize that this series allows authors to take liberties with the characters but when the author changed the whole backstory of Watson's character, i did not like the change. I admit i lobe ghe original Sherlock Holmes Series but I dont mind a few liberties but this book had a lot.

As i kept reading though, i learned to like it and i will probably read more of the series.

So if you want to read somethig orginal, using classic character and don't mind the clas...more
Gilbert G.
If you love Holmes this book will be pure joy for you. It has many twist and turns and an interesting twist about brother Mycroft. It is just plain fun. Enjoy!
Monica
This pastiche novel makes for a swift read. It starts with a bang: without giving you major spoilers –that you can read on other’s reviews anyway- everything we read in “A study in scarlet” was a setup by the very own Moriarty to follow up the steps of our consulting detective.
The novel lags in the middle but still the author manages to keep us turning the pages to find out what is next. Some may find annoying the change of the POV from first to third person but I find it a valid narrative reso...more
John
This is a solid Sherlock Holmes story. It is very clever but does take several liberties with the original stories. I feel like you get more out of this book if you have read the original Doyle books that the stories within this book are based on. If you have, you will appreciate the additions to the originals unless that type of thing annoys you. I believe the stories this book addresses are the cases in "A Study in Scarlet", "The Greek Interpreter", "The Sign of the Four", and "The Final Probl...more
David Elkin
I originally planned on giving the book a 3, as it was jarring to read the difference from the original Doyle. However, Davies tells a plausable and more human like tale about the two, with the drama re-introduced because it is a different tale.

Holmes and Watson are there, but seen through a slightly differently filter. I can't say too much more about plot as it would ruin it for the perspective reader, but if a Holmes fan, definetly worth your time.
A.n.
Ah, I love the smell of a crime scene in the morning. Holmes made quite a wonderful entrance into the world of third class, shoddy literature, and greatly entertained me. Davies adds his own twist to a classic character, without running out the door and flying to Puerto Rico with it ( which many authors tend to do.) Bravo, bravo.
Caitlin
Possible spoiler straight ahead!

As we do with most narrators, we trust and accept Watson as he presents himself in the canonical stories, and why wouldn't we? We're never presented with a reason not to. Until now. I think that's why I enjoyed this addition to the 'Further Adventures' series, it was a great take on the original tales (including plenty of references) with a skewed presentation of familiar characters.
Elizabeth
This is one of my absolute favourite book adaptations of Sherlock Holmes. It's written very well, and draws you in and keeps you focused. The relationship between Holmes and Watson is especially interesting in this book, as it differs greatly in some ways from canon, but not in an absurd or unbelievable manner. I'd recommend this book to everybody, especially those who enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories and mysteries.
Ken
Davies re-writes the origins of the Holmes/Watson/Mrs Hudson relationship and even throws in a curve ball about Mycroft. While generally, I prefer that pastiches merely add to the Holmes casebook and not redefine the characters, I did find the book enjoyable.

I only gave the book three stars as I was just a little disappointed with the re-working of several major Holmes events.
Jc
An intriguing Holmes pastiche. Follows closely the development of Holmes career, and his relationship with Watson, from when they first meet to the events at Reichenbach Falls. But, there are a few special twists and some previously "hidden" information that create a very different persepective. It seems Watson is not quite who we thought he was.
Margaret
It's a lie, I didn't finish the book. I just couldn't get into the storyline. Half way through, I just gave up. I just couldn't get past the huge leaps the author took in the story. It was great writing. Almost made me want to keep going, until the author's version of the story reared it's ugly head again. Maybe someday I'll try reading it again.
Mel
While I am somewhat intrigue over the "what if" alternate canon (or, rather, 'hidden' canon), I just can't quite manage to keep myself into the slow revealing of the plot. The ending was not particularly outstanding, but then I already had a good idea how it would go once I got to the later end of the story.
Jessie
Interesting prologue to the well-known plots. Characters fell a bit flat and I never really bought into Holmes and Watson's friendship and dependence on one another (which is what I love the most about the original stories). This retelling is not compelling enought to stray from the original.
Nicole Hill
What if John Watson wasn't quite who he said he was? What if Professor Moriarty acted like the supervillain Conan Doyle claimed him to be? This ballsy alternate take is just as plausible as Watson's migrating war wound in the original stories.
James
A serviceable read that imagines Watson as being under the employ of Moriarty while working on cases with Holmes. It's a quick read - I finished it over two nights. Enjoyable enough but I'm sure there are better homages out there.
Andrea
I have always liked "alternative history," and this is a nice little explanation of the inconsistencies in The Canon. It ties in enough of the original stories to keep it plausible. Best of "The Further Adventures" I've read.
Don The Idea Guy Snyder
A creative and vibrant reimagining of Holmes and Watson with twists that will have traditional Holmes fans everywhere shifting uncomfortably in their seats as they eager turn the page to see what comes next!
Salvatore
This is a great retelling of two of Sherlock Holmes greatest mysteries. This time there is a twist that is incredible so I won't give it away. If you love Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, this is a must read.
Maxime Ouellet-payeur
In a way, it is a new story in the most brilliant bits of the Cannon. Because in a way, everybody knew John Watson had lied or skipped some key parts in his Sherlock Holmes storytelling.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • The Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Holmes Meets the Phantom of the Opera
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.
More about David Stuart Davies...
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead Sherlock Holmes And The Hentzau Affair (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural) Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett As Sherlock Holmes Children of the Night: Classic Vampire Stories (Mystery & Supernatural) The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)