Start by marking “Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)

Alta (Dragon Jousters #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  5,397 ratings  ·  78 reviews
"Vetch was once an Altan serf, tied to the lands that had belonged to his family before the devastating war with Tia usurped a third of Alta's lands, and turned the few Altans who survived on them into virtual slaves. But Vetch had been rescued from this unbearable fate by one of the very dragon-riders who had conquered his country, and trained to be a dragon-boy." "And Ve ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Alta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alta

Kernos
While I agree with the pundit and reader reviews, that the Dragon Jouster trilogy books seem simple, quick reads aimed at the teenage/young adult audience where everyone lives happily ever after, I think perhaps Lackey is attacking the current state of Gaia: the "War on Terror".

One can read this as an allegory with the Magi being Bush/Blair and their power hungry cohorts, the Dragon Jousters being those who fight to protect the civil liberties of all and the terrorists being everyone else who d
Miriam
If you love dragons, this is the correct series to read. This three books are so filled with dragons and flying jousters that you'll feel the wind on your skin while reading it.

These books are a really good coming of age story, but also the world building, the politics and the society overall are very good.

Only thing that doesn't get a five star for me is that there are a lot of external characters, but these characters are sometimes forgotten, and sometimes it makes you feel that the book sho
Birgit
The story of Vetch the serf continues. Follow him and his dragon Avatre on their journey to Alta, his homeland, and see him making new friends and help Alta train dragons to beat the enemy. But...his saviour, and friend Ari is among the enemies - does that mean that one day Vetch has to fight Ari and his blue dragon? And - is everything really as it should be in Alta? Are Ari and his fellow countrymen really the enemy?
Mercedes Lackey continues the tale she started in "Joust", and I found it diff
Hallie
Again, this is very typical Mercedes Lackey in all her tropes. Evil mages have taken over the government by corrupting the rulers using powerful blood-magic, and the young band of friends has a slowly-building plan to overthrow them from within. Plus, everybody gets a soulmate and they'll obviously be sorely tried before they fix everything to end the war. I still liked the dragons, and she spends a lot of time describing how each one differs in physicality and personality, and how each characte ...more
Coleman Glider
In Alta, Mercedes Lackey's sequel to Joust, the young serf Vetch has escaped from an enemy stronghold on the wings of a recently hatched dragon to his homeland of Alta, with vengeance filled hopes of sharing the invaluable secrets of dragon rearing and training with the Altan military.

Because of the nation of Tia's superiority with dragons and their riders (called Jousters), Alta has been slowly losing land and human lives for decades. If nothing is done soon, Alta will surely be defeated and a
Rosa Aquafire
"I liked it."

I'm not sure just how much I have to say about this book. It was better than Joust, but also a lot less fun. It was nice to see some of the old-fashionned Mercedes Lackey style 'killing off a character you never thought she'd kill moments after you thought everything was gonna be okay,' stuff showing its head because she's gotten a little soft in her old age. I was seriously shocked when that character died and couldn't believe it really had happened until they were actually buried.
Rosemarie  Herbert
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Little Vetch has grown into a man, named for his father Kiron. With his tame dragon Avetre he has fled from Tia t Alta, the land of his birth. He does not know what he will find, or what he will be able to do for Alta. When he arrives, he finds that there are more troubles than he could have imagined.

This is the second book in the awesome Dragon Jousters Series. I'm so very fond of
Josh
A surprising improvement over the first volume, which was far too much a "paint by numbers" coming of age heroic journey saga that really wasn't particularly original. In this one, Lackey takes things to a much more sophisticated an interesting level, layering Vetch's (now Kiron) struggles to assimilate into his long-lost homeland's culture and structure, with his efforts to train his dragon and add that training to his home, but also dealing with a corrupt and dangerous government and building ...more
Saphirablue
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 27, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is the second in the Dragon Jouster's series that began with Joust, which you should read first.

The series is centered on Kiron (in the first book known as Vetch) who is an appealing figure. In the first book he came across as angry and bitter (but with good reason, so he never came across as whiny.) In this book he comes into his own and to a position of leadership as he tries to teach his compatriots the secrets of raising tame dragons. The new, supporting characters in this tale of his
Aerine
action and adventure. training techniques for hunters. but we also grow up. there were points that I think happened to fast. without a timeline, to have a chapter be six months later was confusing. a bit more warning than a chapter break would have been useful.
Maria
As good or better than the first in the series, it starts out with Vetch, now Kiron, having a much easier time in Alta than I expected and then progresses to the sturm und drang of a city slowly slipping into upheaval and evil with only the jousters and the dragons standing between the people and eventual annihilation. The worst point in the book for me was a death that I really didn't expect and which sent me reeling for pages after. With so much magic I was convinced the death would be "undone ...more
Cilla Savary
Excellent. Second book in this 'quadrilogy'(?). A middle east kind of setting. And Bedouins. How can you go wrong with Bedouins.
Trixie
Finally, we get some ladies in this business! LADIES AND DRAGONS. And priestly conspiracies and magical powers. And ladies and dragons.
Christina
Plot: 6/7

How do you follow an almost perfect coming-of-age story? By letting the main character grow from a follower into a leader of men (and women). Kiron and Avatre take their almost unique skills and mindset to Kiron/Vetch's homeland of Alta, where all is not what it seems. We get to learn more about the Magi (the sea-witches from book #1) throughout, and the ending is so perfect. I can't wait to see what happens in book #3!

Writing Style: 7/7

A little more grown-up than the last book, as Ve
Dawn
LibraryDanielle
While I enjoy this one I don't think its as strong as joust. There's too much going on, too many sub plots.
Angel Ica
Excellent book. Just fantastic. Very well written, well developed characters, mystery, magic and intrigue. A whole world of unexpected excitement. I loved this book.
Elizabeth
I liked this book more than the first, but I am not saying that the first was bad by any means. The characters are more complex now, there were twists and intrigue. I can't wait to read the next two in the series. I highly recommend this book and the whole series for an easy sci fi/fantasy read. The only complaint that I have is the names of the characters. First, there are a lot of them. Second, they are not names based on anything familiar so they can get kind of confusing. But if names are th ...more
Jade Lauron
Okay, NOT as expected. A rehashing of more dragon raising, and the start of a veritable dragon army. This series is certainly getting milked for all it's worth. So, dragon raising, plus a bit of 'boy growing up and starting to find girls interesting.'

Again, still good tripe, and I'm probably a bit odd in that I could read endlessly about minutia of mythical creatures, but even I grow a bit weary of training liturgy. If the third book doesn't see quite a bit action vs. dread, I'm going to find it
Kerri
This is a sequel to Joust, the first book in Lackey's Dragon Jousters series, and follows former slave Kiron and his dragon as they start a new life and train a new wing of dragons in Alta. Even though these books take place in a setting similar to ancient Eygypt, and the dragons and their riders share no telepathic connection, readers of these books probably can't help comparing them to a more famous and in my view, better set of dragon/rider tales by Anne McCaffrey. Alta was better than Joust, ...more
Amy Wiltrout
If you love dragon stories you'll love this series! It's set in Eqypt with one kingdom conquering another and taking their people as slaves. One boy is given a chance to work as a dragon boy - and from there he steals and egg and raises his own dragon. Nothing like Saphira - but great story plot and characters. Once you read the first you'll want to keep reading all three!
Kris
Just under 4 stars
This book continues where "Joust" left off, and enriches the story with more character development and new characters. And the plot developments made me very glad that I had book 3 on hand! :)
Krystal
Vetch has grown up and is now known as Kiron after his escape from Tia where he was a dragon boy. He is originally an Altan and has returned to Alta to offer his services using his expertise with the dragons.
Tia and Alta have always been at war. The jousters are the means of defense on both sides. When Kiron learns of an evil plot within his own people, he rallies the young jousters he has been training to find out just what could have been the reasoning behind the war in the first place.
Cloud
I will admit that I liked this one a bit more than the first book. I still think the short story that book 1 is based off of is better, however this one had the plot moving along at a decent clip. Met new characters and learned more about the land and the people and how they live on the other side of the river so to speak. I'm pleased with the chacters growth through out this book and I'm looking forward to book 3. I would say better than book 1 for sure.
Jean Gill
Drags a bit. I was still obssessing happily about dragon training when a key character died and livened things up. Then I thought, 'I'm not supposed to feel things have livened up when one of the good guys dies!' Some good plot elements but not enough time spent on these compared with dragon care and air tactics. I enjoyed the ending and I'm still interested enough to read Bk3 but am reading other books before that.
Tammy
Having escaped Tia with Avatre, Vetch journeys to Alta to bring his knowledge of dragon training to his people. He finds peers and comrades to champion his cause, but discovers that winning war will not be as simple as training a superior crop of Jousters.

I thought the characters were great, and the plot/intrigue kept me eagerly reading. It was fun and quick, and a good follow up to Joust.
Laura Jennings
I remember reading this first two Dragon Jousters series a while ago, and fell out of the loop right after the second. I was glad to rediscover them all over again. Lackey has really great world-building; this is one of those kind of books good for curling up with, because you're going to explore. This also does a great job of escalating the conflict, which any good sequel should do.
Rae
So I guess I never read this book even though I've had it for ages. Oops. I like where the series is going. These aren't the best books or best plots in the world - and I admit I ended up skimming the billions of descriptions of people and places - to get to the plot of it all. Really, I like my descriptions to be a little more interwoven into the plot. But still - it was a fun read.
Bianca Muller
and now the story continues to Alta. And we see true evil gaining power. And our heroes flee to the desert to start the rebellion.
Goodreads Librari...: Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2) by Mercedes Lackey 2 17 Jun 14, 2013 07:04AM
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • The Skies of Pern (Pern, #16)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Exiles' Return (Ghatti's Tale, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Dragon Jousters (4 books)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)
  • Aerie (Dragon Jousters, #4)
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)

“One day,' Orest said, looking at him comically, 'you will say something that is less than practical and sensible, something that is driven by no forethought and nothing but passion, and I will probably collapse with shock.” 60 likes
“Truth and trust are the means by which civilization holds off barbarism.” 45 likes