The U.S. Army Survival Manual: Department of the Army Field Manual 21-76

The U.S. Army Survival Manual: Department of the Army Field Manual 21-76

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From trekking across the desert and bushwhacking through the jungle to conserving body heat in the Arctic and rappelling down a mountain cliff, The U.S. Army Survival Manual presents the field-tested techniques that have proven effective in times of imminent danger and extreme distress.

Perfect for Army grunts and weekend outdoorsmen alike, this book teaches the survival sk...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Ulysses Press

Weathervane
Among the more notable things I learned are the facts that you can eat the inner white portion of treebark -- though beware, as it's a strong purgative -- you can divine north using a regular wristwatch and the position of the sun; and, if you are hurting for water, you can dig at the base of a hill, near the water table, and collect the ground water that emerges.

The illustrations of edible plants were largely useless, I thought; black-and-white hardly does any species justice (excepting zebras)...more
Clare
BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW. (This was a serious purchase, I did not inherit this from someone or win it in a raffle or something. I bought it. Because YOU NEVER KNOW.)

THERE COULD BE ZOMBIES.
Brian Glassanos
Although officially meant for the US Army combat survival tactics, the information you will learn from this book will be the only thing keeping you alive when you end up MIA in the middle of the wilderness. Informative read that gives you a new perspective on analyzing the patterns of environments, keeping calm under pressure and working your misfortunes into great advantages. This book has the potential to save your life
Fred
I love my copy of this. I think I have about 30 different pages bookmarked and dogeared. This would be an essential for any backpacker or anyone who just wants to be prepared for the Zombie holocaust.
Edwin Whiting
In the current climate of Republican vicissitude and arrogant intransigence, particularly with respect to women and the economy: this is an excellent book to have read and have handy for life's tribulations.
David Smith
Extremely practical and insightful. Requires some basic fore knowledge on navigation and logistics. Highly recommended for any and everyone.
Gary Lindros
In these days of zombie apocalypses and world wide power failures on tv, I'm glad to have a dead tree version of this book available

Ruthie Jones
I read this quite a while ago, and I just now realized I had not added it. This book is definitely one of the best resources for survival.
Caroline
so interesting. lost in jungle, faced by sharks, wandering the desert... i think i know what to do in all those situations now, ha ha.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Will be taking for any overseas journeys/overwildnerness in the future. Skimming through, it has some good advice.
John
If you wander around in the wilderness or even drive on little used roads you really need this book.
John
Excellent survival field book. A must read, and must practice!
Paul Amberg
Actually slightly easier to read than the average army handbook.
Mazen Loujami
Good one for special skills. I recommend it for Boy-scouts also
Chuck Trimble
A wealth of information! Great to re-read after so many years.
Ryan
Basic Wilderness Survival and evasion techniques.
Willily94
Willily94 marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Elliott
Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Tina Cousins
Tina Cousins marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Eileen
Eileen added it
Jul 07, 2014
Keelin
Keelin is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Madalina
Madalina is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Austen Erickson
Austen Erickson marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Francestsm
Francestsm marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Batsiii
Batsiii is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
flannery
flannery marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Zach
Zach is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Where There Is No Doctor a village health care handbook
  • Back to Basics
  • Food For Free (Collins Gem)
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • In Defense of Elitism
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
The U.S. Army/Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual Ranger Handbook U.S. Army Survival Handbook The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual Instructions for American Servicemen in Iraq during World War II