The House on the Marshland

The House on the Marshland

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published June 1st 1976 by Anvil Press Poetry

Candace
I first encountered this book of poetry in the mid-70s, and some of the poems have stayed with me ever since. Perhaps most of all, "Gretel in Darkness," which begins:

"This is the world we wanted.
All who would have seen us dead
are dead. I hear the witch's cry
break in the moonlight through a sheet
of sugar: God rewards.
Her tongue shrivels into gas . . ."

Wow. This woman really knew how to do it.
Stephany
Oh, Louise. "Instruct me in the dark." This is a book about compression, about the physics of emotion. Unflinching. Possessed. More a live animal than a book of poems, this is one of my top ten books, regardless of genre.
Mike Jensen
The author said this is better than her first book, and it is. I respect it more than I like it, however. I find these poems uninvolving and unmoving. There is also the curious habit of using a word that seem inappropriate, such as in "Even now the landscape is assembling." Assembling? I could understand this if the sun was rising, but it seems to setting, if I interpret the next line correctly. I recently read an article that praised Glück for doing this. Now, having read two of her books, the...more
Joann
I like the direct clear voice of these poems, and when I first read this slim collection I liked it so much that I have carried it with me for 25 years. But...I never felt enough to revisit the poems. Now I have reread, and now the volume is perched atop the sell or give away pile.
Derek Emerson
My journey through Gluck's works continue to impress me. This short collection has many poems which call you back for a closer rereading. Her simple and direct language challenge you as you can tell more is required from you involvement. An excellent collection.
Lindsey
Oct 09, 2012 Lindsey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsey by: Marianne
Favorites: "All Hallows," "Gretel in Darkness," "To Autumn," "Gratitude," "Gemini," and "The Undertaking"
Emily
enjoyable. love her style. some of her pieces i can do without, but some are just so incredible. worth it.
Kirsty
Favourite poems: Gretel in Darkness; The Fire; Gratitude.
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
t
t marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Zora
Zora marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Kaley
Kaley added it
Sep 22, 2013
Lynsey
Lynsey marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Wendi
Wendi added it
Jun 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Glück was born in New York City of Hungarian Jewish heritage and grew up on Long Island. Glück attended Sarah Lawrence College and later Columbia University.

Glück is the author of twelve books of poetry, including: "A Village Life" (2009); Averno (2006), which was a finalist for The National Book Award; The Seven Ages (2001); Vita Nova (1999), which was awarded The New Yorker's Book Award in Poetr...more
More about Louise Glück...
The Wild Iris Averno The First Four Books of Poems Meadowlands Ararat