Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times” as Want to Read:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

Now the #1 bestselling author of the Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series, Richard Carlson, Ph.D., offers teenagers simple, helpful wisdom for coping with everyday issues Anyone who thinks teens have it easy hasn't been to a high school recently. As the headlines remind us almost daily, America's teenagers deal with stress in just about every facet of their lives: academics, ...more
Published September 6th 2000 by Hachette Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens

Feb 09, 2016 Clarisa rated it liked it
Recommended to Clarisa by: Cynthia Z.
Being that I'm at the end of my teen years, a lot of this information I've already learned or found as common sense (like appreciating your parents - not taking them for granted) so this book was really just repeating everything I knew. But there were still new tips (like rate how big a deal something is so you won't blow it out of proportion) that were listed among the 100.

It's funny, because as I was reading it brought up one of my friends to mind, thinking surely they would benefit much more
Feb 21, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens" is a decent book about teaching teens to reduce daily stress. While I did enjoy reading it most of the time, there were instances where I just wanted to get it over with.

Many tips (there are 100 of them in all, each one of them a 2 to 3 page-long chapter) were useful and I believe I will be using at some point in my life. It's worth noting that it's thanks to this book that I've started meditating every day. However, some tips feel obvious and at times eve
In the morning and you're running out and okay you got all your books, ate breakfast, got dressed and you have about 5 minutes to get out and be off to school. Oh wait your hair you can't leave it like.OMG! What are you gonna do. Or when you get to school and Sally is talking about you again, yes it so annoying. Things like this are what you shouldn't STRESS about. If you think that this is hard it's okay. Help is on the way. This is the book to save you from the bad old habits that makes you ST ...more
Apr 23, 2012 Carrie added it
Carrie Ackerson

What “teen angst” an ongoing byword, Dr. Richard Carlson gives us 100 short essays advising teens on how to find and keep serenity. His suggestions range from taking up yoga to looking for the positive (not the negative) things that happen to all of us in our lives. We as readers are always aware that an adult is writing. Dr. Carlson manages to make his advice paternal or professional without “talking down” to teens. The impact of this book is dulled by hasty reading;
Mar 18, 2009 Bethany rated it really liked it
I really think this is an excellent book, for teens and people who are stressed--like me. I'm getting over a lot of stress and learning to handle things thanks to this book. I recommend it for all.
Mar 04, 2016 Taylor rated it it was amazing
This book was an easy read with short two-three page chapters. I would just read one or two chapters here and there and before I knew it I had finished it. Not only was it easy to read and understand but it was interesting and insightful. The author, Richard Carlson, uses his own life experiences and those of others to show how each of his strategies can be easily accomplished and how much they really help. Almost every chapter he had several different stories from people who had written to him, ...more
Patrice Sartor
Aug 23, 2010 Patrice Sartor rated it liked it
Reading Level: Adult. Over a decade ago Richard Carlson wrote the original Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff: And It’s All Small Stuff. This title was a huge bestseller, and spawned not only a number of spin-offs by Carlson, but at least one parody too. And now we have a version for teens. I found this in the library while I was looking for some other titles. I hadn’t planned on including it, but I took it home and read through it, and knew this needed to be in my collection.

The book is small and simp
Sandra Christy
Nov 08, 2012 Sandra Christy rated it it was amazing
back then when i was a teen, i was in a junior high maybe, i found my self being ridiculously dramatic over many things that were going on in my life. about my friends, school, parents and everything at that time, even my body shape. and the worse thing was no one told me how to deal with all of those matters, not even my parents. i was just caught up in the thought that everything felt wrong or was not supposed to be. one day i went to a bookstore and found this book. there i saw the title on i ...more
Jun 02, 2008 April added it
Deffinatly the most inspiring book I've ever read. This book has dramatically changed my life and the way I think about things. It teaches you that life is too short to worry about the little things that really shouldn't make much of an impact on your daily life. It really makes you think about how you want to spend your life and what you shouldn't worry about. I think this is an amazing book, by far one of the better ones I've read, and I deffinatly think everybody should take the time to read ...more
Dec 24, 2014 Paige rated it liked it
This is a good book for teens. I didn't really “read" the last 40 or so entries, because I felt like I had most of the concepts down, considering I'm not a teen anymore. I'm thankful that my parents instilled most of the moral values in my sister and I from the beginning of our lives. It was just kind of redundant for me at this point in early 20s, but it was somewhat helpful for anxiety and stress management advice.
Dec 30, 2015 Sunny rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! Since I was little, my dad has had a set of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff books on our shelves. Only so many years later, in my last year as an official teen, did I pick up this one to read. I'm so glad I did. It is about happiness and the value of kindness. Even though written by an adult for teens, not once is it condescending. I would definitely recommend this book to all young adults.
Josellinne caballero
Apr 06, 2009 Josellinne caballero rated it it was amazing
this is a really nice book that i would recommend to anyone girl or boy of any age..
this book has a great teaching that is not just to write books but it's a book based on real life situations things that can happen to u or anyone else..that's why they wrote to teach how to control yourself and to help others in these moments it teaches you
''how to not sweat the small stuff''
Mar 19, 2009 Monzee(: rated it really liked it
I learned that when your a teen you go trough many conflicts. The book "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff For Teens" is a guidence for the teenage lifes and experiences; Richard Carlson connects to most of the chapters. The chapter that interest me was dont sweat the break up. This chapter is intersting and i believe that most teens need advice of those kind of things such as:love and friendship.
Dec 31, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. It's all about changing your perspective, and it most certainly has changed mine. Richard Carlson is clearly on teens' side, and his simple, optimistic, unassuming and unpretentious writing style makes this book appealing and genuinely helpful. Every teen should own this book!
Jul 19, 2016 B00knerds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: started-it
This book was really insightful. Although most of its topics were ones you already have heard, it's really helpful to hear them again and actually listen to their meaning. I really hope I take the lessons from this book into my own life. I would recommend reading it in intervals for maybe a lesson per night or something and not all at once to be able to truly think about each chapter.
Jan 01, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a slow read. Being 21 and not a teenager may have had something to do with it, but I expected more from this book to help me with my overpowering anxiety. What I actually found was a lot of life lessons I had already figured out my first year out of high school. I would recommend this book more so to someone who is around the age of 14.
Jun 02, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok
Truthfully, I did not enjoy this book. I was excited to start it, but as soon as I got into it I was disappointed. I wanted to finish it so that I could get done with it. Not my favorite, but he did have some good points. Nothing I couldn't have thought of.
Aug 22, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

Unlike most self- help books, this book contains short chapters that are to the point and focus on the "how."

I got a lot of out it and recommend it to teens who like focusing on little things.
Kelly Martinez
Jun 23, 2009 Kelly Martinez rated it liked it
The idea of this book is a good one. And while I enjoy Carlson's writing style, the ones who actually need the tips in this book may not even understand it. All in all, a nice little reminder to pay attention to your actions in life.
Nov 23, 2011 Naaneater rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book specially for Teenagers who are going though times trust me this book will be your best friend it will accompany you through your journey. I personally gained lot of wisdom from this book.
Jan 30, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my daughter but read it first. I put little notes on things I thought were important. So many things in that book that are great reminders of how unimportant the small things really are.
Marie Clark
Feb 05, 2015 Marie Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Richard Carlson has a nice way of concisely saying what I needed to hear. Really inspirational ideas that I have found myself actually refer to as everyday reminders to not blow things out of proportion.
Feb 01, 2013 Cristal rated it it was amazing
This book REALLLLY helped me over the sumer time, helped keep my temper down at home, but that was the summerr.... ;l
Aug 28, 2009 Ken rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all teens
This is a great book for teens. It has lots of good suggestions on how to not sweat the small stuff. I would suggest all teens read this because they tend to sweat the small stuff.
Farhan Ansh
May 02, 2015 Farhan Ansh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku yang berhasil menyelamatkan saya saat terjatuh! Tapi, ketika saya kasih pinjam buku ini teman yang sekiranya butuh bantuan dari buku ini.....

"Terjemahannya kaku banget,"
Jane Brewer
Feb 02, 2014 Jane Brewer rated it it was amazing
Started using this with an at risk teen, but unfortunately a little late. Maybe finish someday. Good ideas in simple language for a teen to understand.
Jul 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Some of this wasn't relevant to Fisher as he's only 12, so we skipped around. I didn't finish it; we just utilised it to the extent that we needed and then quit.
Mar 26, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Great gift for a teenager. I didn't take it too seriously when I was a teen, but I read it as a young adult, many concepts discussed in the book really resonated with me.
Apr 17, 2009 E-man rated it it was amazing
I am almost done reading this book. The author provides the reader with strategies for every day situations and I already had the chance to try out a few.
Sep 23, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some useful tips for reducing stress for anyone regardless of their age. I liked the format of a 1-2 page write up for each tip and the positive tone of the author.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • How to Be Totally Miserable
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook
  • Organize Yourself!
  • The Teen's Guide to World Domination: Advice on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Awesomeness
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • Help Yourself for Teens: Real-Life Advice for Real-Life Challenges
  • The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance
  • My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide To Managing Anxiety And Panic
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • With Their Eyes: September 11th: The View from a High School at Ground Zero
  • The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know)
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Letters - Letters of Life, Love and Learning
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • You On Top: Smart, Sexy Skills Every Woman Needs to Set the World on Fire
  • God Is in the Small Stuff... And It All Matters
  • Longman Anthology of British Literature: The Restoration and the 18th Century
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Selection for Mothers

“Reading is a gift. It's something you can do almost anytime and anywhere. It can be a tremendous way to learn, relax, and even escape. So, enough about the virtues of reading. Time to read on.” 29 likes