Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  658 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Carlson shows readers how to interact more peaceably and joyfully with colleagues, clients, and bosses.

Spending forty hours or more a week in an office, along with rush deadlines, heavy workloads, and daily dilemmas, can make working a very stressful experience. Richard Carlson reveals tips that will transform your outlook at the office, easing stress there and also leadin...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 284 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work

adllto
I've dipped into this book over the years and basic commonsense we need to hear especially when stressed. As I declutter it's time for this book to go out the front door, which is rather ironic.

Some pieces of wisdom I'd like to note. 1/ Dare to be Happy i.e. actually enjoy what you are doing. 2/ Make Friends with Your Receptionist i.e. there are key people who can make your life easier and less stressed who you may not think important. In my studies it has been often the librarian. 3/ Create a...more
Ryan Dejonghe
This book is not one of those super-inspiring, revolutionary business books with catchy titles like “Who Moved My Cheese” or “Seven Habits”. This is one of those books that you get into your office early, flip on a low-light source, sip some coffee, and read a few chapters. It’ll inspire you to be a better person throughout the day. At least, that’s how I did it.

I think the author followed the same pattern in writing the book as I did reading it—in slow chunks, bit-by-bit. The chapters bounce fr...more
Anita
I enjoyed reading this book. Of course, some of it was common sense - but even the best of us need to be reminded of common sense sometimes! :-) Other portions were thought-provoking and made you look at the world or circumstances in a different way. As I have been reading the book and implementing some changes in my life, I have seen improvements in the way I deal with people and the way they respond. Now that I have completed the book, I can see myself reading a chapter a day as reminders (the...more
Dene
Interesting food for thought.

Easy to read (chapters are 2-3 pages on average) so can can read snippets over breakfast or during a break.

While a lot of it is what you might already (un)common sense, I would recommend it for reminding you so you don't have to think about it.
Laurel
This has been my first small stuff book. It has made such a difference in how I view my workday. I liked it so much I'm ordering the daily affirmations book. I need constant reminders or I WILL sweat the small stuff.
Patti Clement
Another great collection of wisdom by the author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff! Same format with 100 brief excerpts of wisdom for the workplace. My favorite is # 84....Make Peace with Chaos.....
Tim Gannon
This was written by Richard Carlson - he has written a number of books along the same line across the years - I was sad to just learn that he passed away in December 2006 of a pulmonary embolism - He had a PhD and also worked as a psychotherapist - I find his texts to be very useful and practical - I think they can enhance one's life, especially if you apply his suggestions - they can work equally well at helping your patients in their struggles with life - He is quite easy to read and understan...more
Erin
"People who feel appreciated are happier, less-stressed, and more loyal than those who feel taken for granted. Overall, they are harder workers and are excellent team players. They quit less often, show up on time, get along with other, exhibit abundant creativity, and strive for excellence. Conversely, people who are (or even feel) unappreciated often feel resentful and lose their enthusiasm for their work..."

Richard Carlson breaks his advice regarding work and stress into 100 small chapters, e...more
Mike Sambuco
I didn't have any expectations about this starting off, but was quickly impressed and drawn into this book. For me it was a time of comparison and introspection dealing with many of the chapters. I liked the short chapters, which made great lunchtime reading at mid-day, while getting away from the work environment, but thinking about work issues. I got a lot out of it, and have changed some of my habits and thinking because of it, which has helped to improve my daily attitude and outlook -- whic...more
Jen
Dec 28, 2012 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jen by: Noelle
Shelves: work-related
I liked this one just as much as his other one Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life. He includes some simple techniques to help relax about certain situations at work and outside of work. There were others that sounded good, but will take time to figure out how to do.

If you're looking to be more content at your place of work, I recommend this book.
Katie
I can't help but feel like watching Harry Potter after reading this book. I think it's because the way it is written reminds me of Gilderoy Lockhart. The book shares so many stories of what success he's had but they come across as "yeah right - you're just taking the credit." There are a few decent tips, but many are vague. "Reduce your stress." Duh - tell me how, not how perfect YOU are.

I started reading this a long time ago when some aspects of work were stressing me out. Those aspects have s...more
Dolly
Nov 29, 2009 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like self-help books
This was the second "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" book I've read. They are fairly similar, and although I'm not a big fan, they do have a positive message. Of the 100 snippets of advice offered in this book, I'd say about 75 of them say pretty much the same thing. But it's a good book about staying positive and everyone can use a reminder of that once in awhile. And since each topic is only 2-4 short pages, I kept this book in my car and read it while waiting around or if I was stuck in a traffi...more
Dean
Some good practical advice to get your through work. I know for me who was having a hard time coming to work every day, there were some valuable chapters that helped me be more positive. The book is good for skimming and picking out areas that apply to you.
Janine
I completely forgot I owned this book until I was looking for books to get rid of to use as kindling for my fire. I ended up re reading the book again and there are some really good points that I have realised I now use at work.
I don’t think it has really empowered me to feel better about my job situation but it has definitely helped me.
Bret
One of my employees recommended this book and I think I really needed to read this right now. My work has been quite stressful, and this was very useful to help me regain some balance and perspective. It is a fairly quick read put into small chapters - some of which you can skip if you don't have an interest in them. I really liked this book.
Denele
I tend to stress the small stuff. By taking time to read a tip or two each morning before starting the work day, I managed to reduce how often those little things would stress me out. While this book may not be for everyone, you are bound to learn a thing or two that can help make your response to workday stresses just a little bit easier.
Mrs. Riding
I enjoyed reading snippets over breakfast in an attempt to make it through the harrowing first few weeks of the new school year. After awhile though it seemed to repeat itself and became tiresome. I have enjoyed the Small Stuff Series, but I didn't really finish this one cover to cover. Gave me some good food for thought to start a few days.
Quinton
There are actually quite a few really good tidbits in this one. There are a 100 tips, and some aren't great, as expected, but some are actually really good, and I have since applied them to my life to great success. I would just read one a day, or even every few days, so it took me a long time to finish it, but it was very worth it.
Bev
I found this book so helpful, I love to revisit it often, and go back to specific sections for guidance through various situations. If you manage people, then you SHOULD read this... If you want to change the people you work with, then first you must change yourself... Full of such beneficial wisdom that I proved worked every time.
Allie
The tip that really sticks out to me is to make room for incompetence. You can get mad about it and throw a fit and yell, but it's not going to change anything, you know? It's not saying incompetence is ok, but encountering it is inevitable and you should be ok with that.
Aileen
Long overdue in reading this one! It gave me a couple of ideas to carry into the office, and had some I've been doing for a while anyway. An enjoyable read, but if I spent my work day trying to practice everything in the book, I'd never get any work done!
Sheral Berrie
I'v learned so much from this book. It's helped me in dealing with stress and in making the most of a day.

It's helped me to see my self defeating behaviors and how devastating a person's own mind talk can be.

It's well worth reading!
Nikita
This book is really amazing if you have problems at work. Mine are mostly self induced with conflicts with bosses and co-workers, so I feel this book helped to change my outlook and attitude. Worth having a read, for sure!
Donna
Didn't read it cover to cover but took away some helpful tips from what I did read. This is the kind of book to have lying around to dip into from time to time; it's a bit much to read cover to cover.
Troy Espe
I didn't discover my inner child by reading this book, but the commonsense advice got me through a rough patch at work. I still employ some of the simple strategies years later.
Dean
I was surprised to find a great deal of useful advice on how to maintain perspective and not go insane at work. So I'm very glad I read this book.
Sharen
Really enjoyed this by reading it in short bursts. I read it over a year ago and still apply some of bits o advice on a regular basis.
Tracy
Common sense tips. I am sharing what I read in the book with my team at work in the hopes they get some value.
Sarah Marchitto
Keeping sane in an unprofessional office is a chore. This is good zen. Or you can just play with playdoh and meditate
Hilary
all I have to say is that based on this little book, "luck" doesn't even begin to cover how I find myself these days.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • Empowering Women
  • 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • Cats for Dummies
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • The Courage to be Rich
  • Complete Lifes Little Instruction Bk Leather Bound
  • Chicken Soup for the Single's Soul (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do...more
More about Richard Carlson...
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective

“Do not sweat the small stuff.” 0 likes