Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others” as Want to Read:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Carlson shows readers how to interact more peaceably and joyfully with colleagues, clients, and bosses.

Spending forty hours or more a week in an office, along with rush deadlines, heavy workloads, and daily dilemmas, can make working a very stressful experience. Richard Carlson reveals tips that will transform your outlook at the office, easing stress there and also leadin
Paperback, 1st edition, 284 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work

Ryan Dejonghe
Feb 07, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it really liked it
This book is not one of those super-inspiring, revolutionary business books with catchy titles like “Who Moved My Cheese” or “Seven Habits”. This is one of those books that you get into your office early, flip on a low-light source, sip some coffee, and read a few chapters. It’ll inspire you to be a better person throughout the day. At least, that’s how I did it.

I think the author followed the same pattern in writing the book as I did reading it—in slow chunks, bit-by-bit. The chapters bounce fr
adllto
Sep 25, 2010 adllto rated it liked it
Shelves: ologies, general
I've dipped into this book over the years and basic commonsense we need to hear especially when stressed. As I declutter it's time for this book to go out the front door, which is rather ironic.

Some pieces of wisdom I'd like to note. 1/ Dare to be Happy i.e. actually enjoy what you are doing. 2/ Make Friends with Your Receptionist i.e. there are key people who can make your life easier and less stressed who you may not think important. In my studies it has been often the librarian. 3/ Create a
Anita
Jun 16, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. Of course, some of it was common sense - but even the best of us need to be reminded of common sense sometimes! :-) Other portions were thought-provoking and made you look at the world or circumstances in a different way. As I have been reading the book and implementing some changes in my life, I have seen improvements in the way I deal with people and the way they respond. Now that I have completed the book, I can see myself reading a chapter a day as reminders (the ...more
Laurel
Nov 25, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it
This has been my first small stuff book. It has made such a difference in how I view my workday. I liked it so much I'm ordering the daily affirmations book. I need constant reminders or I WILL sweat the small stuff.
Dene
Nov 28, 2009 Dene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting food for thought.

Easy to read (chapters are 2-3 pages on average) so can can read snippets over breakfast or during a break.

While a lot of it is what you might already (un)common sense, I would recommend it for reminding you so you don't have to think about it.
Tracy T
Aug 23, 2016 Tracy T rated it really liked it
This is a great read to remind yourself of what's actually important and what is not!
Sakshi
Dec 10, 2016 Sakshi rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop, 2016
Well some days you have to read these also. A good one in the self-help genre. Better to improve while we can than to leave evaluations to hindsight.
Patti Clement
Another great collection of wisdom by the author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff! Same format with 100 brief excerpts of wisdom for the workplace. My favorite is # 84....Make Peace with Chaos.....
Dave Donahoe
Dec 24, 2014 Dave Donahoe rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
It took longer to read than I thought. But...hey, I'm not gonna sweat it.
Holly
May 09, 2017 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: career-resources
I recommend reading one tip a day as the book contains less in terms of practical tips than it does reinforcement and reminders to maintain a positive outlook and of course, not sweat the small stuff.
Andrea
May 31, 2017 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read one "chapter" each day at breakfast for the past few months. It had some good take away information, but I didn't learn anything to drastically change my way of thinking.
Evelyn
May 14, 2017 Evelyn rated it liked it
Good reminders, nothing earth shattering. You can't make everybody happy all of the time, forgive yourself, live for today - not for retirement, stop procrastinating, and many more.
Jap Hengky
Dec 21, 2016 Jap Hengky rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-the-shelf
Don’t sweat the small stuff… And it’s all small stuff!
Denise Cameron
I've been reading a few of the pieces of advice every day for a while.

It's not a bad book, and a lot of the advice still holds today, but it's a little dated. There's also a lot of easier-said-than-done bits.

Remembering to breathe deeply, being kind to people, and learning how to not take constructive criticism are all very important.
Rena Sherwood
Jan 24, 2017 Rena Sherwood rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
NOTE: I think this review first appeared on Helium and then Yahoo Voices. Since those sites are both dead, I'm sticking this here.

I usually cringe when I’m given a self-help book with a cute title like Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff at Work (Hyperion, 1998). It makes me wonder if the book is one of those impractical collections of sweet catch phrases and instant spirituality that’s published in mountains of books these days. It makes you wonder what alternate universe the author is talking about.

B
Jessica
Easier said than done.

Pop Sugar’s 2016 Reading Challenge - A self-improvement book
Tim Gannon
Jan 15, 2013 Tim Gannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology-mind
This was written by Richard Carlson - he has written a number of books along the same line across the years - I was sad to just learn that he passed away in December 2006 of a pulmonary embolism - He had a PhD and also worked as a psychotherapist - I find his texts to be very useful and practical - I think they can enhance one's life, especially if you apply his suggestions - they can work equally well at helping your patients in their struggles with life - He is quite easy to read and understan ...more
Erin
Nov 14, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"People who feel appreciated are happier, less-stressed, and more loyal than those who feel taken for granted. Overall, they are harder workers and are excellent team players. They quit less often, show up on time, get along with other, exhibit abundant creativity, and strive for excellence. Conversely, people who are (or even feel) unappreciated often feel resentful and lose their enthusiasm for their work..."

Richard Carlson breaks his advice regarding work and stress into 100 small chapters, e
Sujata Sahni
The book has a lot of simple formulae to make your everyday work less stressful and more meaningful. Learn to delegate, make someone else feel good, don't let your own thoughts sress you out, stop procastinating, let go of battles that cannot be won, see beyond the roles, when you solicit advice consider taking it, don't be too quick to comment, never ever backstab, stop scrambling, recover quickly, be aware of the potentially stressful effects of your promises, realise the powere of rapport, re ...more
Dion Yulianto
Aug 08, 2016 Dion Yulianto rated it really liked it
Kantor sudah menjadi bagian dari kehidupan orang modern. Tidak bisa dipungkiri, meskipun kantor telah lekat dengan pekerjaan dan sesuatu yang ‘membebani hari,’ di tempat inilah sebagian kita menghabiskan hampir separuh harinya. Minimal 8 jam kita ada di dalamnya, bekerja dan membanting tulang (dan pikiran), bersosialisasi, chattingan, nonton Youtube, mengunduh drama Korea terbaru, … eh STOP! Pokoknya, betapa pun tidak sukanya kita pada yang namanya kantor, tetap saja tempat itu punya andil dalam ...more
Jen
Dec 20, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jen by: Noelle
Shelves: work-related
I liked this one just as much as his other one Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life. He includes some simple techniques to help relax about certain situations at work and outside of work. There were others that sounded good, but will take time to figure out how to do.

If you're looking to be more content at your place of work, I recommend this book.
Mike Sambuco
Dec 30, 2011 Mike Sambuco rated it really liked it
I didn't have any expectations about this starting off, but was quickly impressed and drawn into this book. For me it was a time of comparison and introspection dealing with many of the chapters. I liked the short chapters, which made great lunchtime reading at mid-day, while getting away from the work environment, but thinking about work issues. I got a lot out of it, and have changed some of my habits and thinking because of it, which has helped to improve my daily attitude and outlook -- whic ...more
Dolly
Nov 29, 2009 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like self-help books
This was the second "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" book I've read. They are fairly similar, and although I'm not a big fan, they do have a positive message. Of the 100 snippets of advice offered in this book, I'd say about 75 of them say pretty much the same thing. But it's a good book about staying positive and everyone can use a reminder of that once in awhile. And since each topic is only 2-4 short pages, I kept this book in my car and read it while waiting around or if I was stuck in a traffi ...more
Katie
Aug 03, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
I can't help but feel like watching Harry Potter after reading this book. I think it's because the way it is written reminds me of Gilderoy Lockhart. The book shares so many stories of what success he's had but they come across as "yeah right - you're just taking the credit." There are a few decent tips, but many are vague. "Reduce your stress." Duh - tell me how, not how perfect YOU are.

I started reading this a long time ago when some aspects of work were stressing me out. Those aspects have s
Devonne West
Jul 03, 2016 Devonne West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, business
This is a great little book that is packed with simple, little tips to help eliminate stress in one's life. Not only are the tips easy tips to incorporate, but Carlson does a great job focusing on what really is the cause of most of our stress - ourselves and our current way of thinking. One of the common themes throughout the book is that we are responsible for much of our own misery...personal responsibility. When we finally get to the point that we realize we are our own worse enemy in regard ...more
Afsha Makhani
May 07, 2015 Afsha Makhani rated it liked it
Some good advice but I found the author rather sheltered in terms of various workplaces. I found he also offered advice that was not useful but only made one more upset such as being kind to those who serve you--what if you are the server?? He also stated that most things aren't stressful but certain ones are and stated that being fired is one of them then goes on to explain how not to swear that other stuff-most people stress about work because they are afraid they will ultimately get fired!
Bev
Jul 09, 2012 Bev rated it it was amazing
I found this book so helpful, I love to revisit it often, and go back to specific sections for guidance through various situations. If you manage people, then you SHOULD read this... If you want to change the people you work with, then first you must change yourself... Full of such beneficial wisdom that I proved worked every time.
Mrs. Riding
Nov 21, 2008 Mrs. Riding rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
I enjoyed reading snippets over breakfast in an attempt to make it through the harrowing first few weeks of the new school year. After awhile though it seemed to repeat itself and became tiresome. I have enjoyed the Small Stuff Series, but I didn't really finish this one cover to cover. Gave me some good food for thought to start a few days.
Janine
Jul 01, 2012 Janine rated it it was ok
I completely forgot I owned this book until I was looking for books to get rid of to use as kindling for my fire. I ended up re reading the book again and there are some really good points that I have realised I now use at work.
I don’t think it has really empowered me to feel better about my job situation but it has definitely helped me.
Quinton
Jul 16, 2009 Quinton rated it liked it
There are actually quite a few really good tidbits in this one. There are a 100 tips, and some aren't great, as expected, but some are actually really good, and I have since applied them to my life to great success. I would just read one a day, or even every few days, so it took me a long time to finish it, but it was very worth it.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook
  • Eisenhower
  • Cats for Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People
  • Pursuit of Happiness
  • Inner Peace for Busy People
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • The Courage to be Rich
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • Reinventing Yourself: How to Become the Person You've Always Wanted to Be
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (Hyperion))
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds