Start by marking “Wealth and Poverty” as Want to Read:
Wealth and Poverty

Wealth and Poverty

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In this acclaimed work, Gilder offers an illuminating discussion of how to increase wealth and curtail poverty, arguing that most welfare programs only serve to keep the poor in poverty as victims of welfare dependency.
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 12th 1993 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Wealth and Poverty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wealth and Poverty

Phil
Apr 28, 2008 Phil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students
This is one of the most solid conservative books ever written. Gilder explains the psychology of wealth and that of poverty. He explains the damage that government poverty programs have done to their recipients and why. Because Gilder goes much deeper than any topical description of where things were when he wrote the book this book is still very relevant. This goes to the basis of how some people can rise from poverty and how others can slide from wealth into poverty. The same is true of entire ...more
Michal Leah
Dec 15, 2014 Michal Leah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Wow. That is all I can say. This book was devoid of any facts, data, studies. If you enjoy generalizations, assumptions, conjectures, then this is the book for you. If you prefer to look at evidence in order to arrive at a conclusion, there is not one iota of evidence in this book. I read this to try and learn the conservative point of view - I really hope there are better books out there or I will wonder if conservative thinking is based on anything other than what comes out of people's as ...more
Maynard James Keller
Aug 21, 2012 Maynard James Keller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
You don't have to buy into it or be "converted" - but approach with a semi-open mind and you'll find some provocatively challenging thought here. No political philosophy or economic theory has a monopoly on truth or wisdom.

The world and we are much complicated to be encompassed by any single schema. And note that much of what we call the "left" and "right" have existed since the beginning of human economic societies. There are reasons of balancing each other out involved.

Anyway, Gilder's a uniq
Tadas Talaikis
Nov 14, 2015 Tadas Talaikis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Plane f*cking crazy Reaganomics. Stopped listening after sixth chapter.

There are a lot of well known, good points, like you need to move in order to make. Author just forgets that simply repeating something doesn't make it true. Mots conservatives just can't process new information, and as a consequence they (as everyone else) only look for confirmations of their beliefs.

Note the word "belief". I can believe some new Lenin will create communism, but that doesn't make it true. Not because I'm wea
April
Jun 20, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
I walked away with 2 important impressions. The chapter dealing with taxes on capital gains was illuminating, and the argument that supply creates its own demand is still mulling around in my mind. It's a roller coaster ride for sure. One minute it's interesting, the next boring, then obnoxious, and occasionally truly enlightening. Though dated, it stands up as a classic conservative text.
Danmcgohan
Oct 13, 2014 Danmcgohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr, Gilder dismisses the controlling economic policies of the Left, offers instead an American vision of a free economy and a prosperous society resting on the pillars of work, faith, and family. Some areas were difficult to follow but overall very understandable.
Douglas Wilson
May 31, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Right up there.
Seth
Sep 02, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A full-throated moral, philosophical, and practical defense of capitalism. Rather than advocate with reluctance for capitalism, granting critics' charges of its excesses and a supposed foundation of greed, Gilder shows that only a capitalist system will bring true prosperity and growth to all levels of a society.

Gilder argues that the most important element of capitalistic growth and success is the entrepreneur, the person who puts up capital in risky ventures in the hope of a payout. These risk
Joel Zartman
I don’t know why I should go for a book on economics of all things. I am working in a financial services company now, and part of getting ahead there is knowing something about the whole shebang. I saw the Uncommon Knowledge interview with Gilder and found it compelling enough to get to the book, but I am still not sure what it was made me want to read about the dismal science to begin with.

What I found is a book that I’d compare in its effect on me with Collingwood’s The Idea of History. Wealth
Thomas Simpson
Aug 15, 2015 Thomas Simpson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute rubbish conservative dogma. If this is supposed to be one of the more "intellectual" justifications of supply side economics it's a miserable failure. Not only are the book's economic data woefully outdated, given that it was written in the early 1980s, Gilder's preening about minorities, singles, women, etc. and how they need strong male breadwinners/strong traditional families just rubbish.
Bryan
Brilliant! This book is an amazing look at economics and the factors that affect productivity and economies in both positive and negative ways.
Stanley Arthur
Sep 04, 2014 Stanley Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His financially conservative concepts are proving to be more relative with the passing of each day.
Samuel
Jun 14, 2015 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read, should be read by anyone who thinks economics don't matter.
Harry Jr.
Sep 02, 2014 Harry Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
. George is the most visionary in the realm of innovation and progress.
Brian Lyke
Enjoyed the prologue and epilogue (updated in 2012) way more than the rest (early 1980s).
Tai Tai
Jun 26, 2015 Tai Tai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could only agree with 35% of this republican/conservative bible
Sally
Apr 14, 2013 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may not agree with everything George Gilder believes, but he is thought provoking and challenges many progressive beliefs. Although relatively easy to read and understand, he is a world class economist after all, and you have to work a little to get through this. I promise that if you do, you will come away much better informed about past, recent and future economic drivers.
Chuck Russo
Excellent book, by a true master of the English language. Gilder will challenge your vocabulary, so get the thesaurus or dictionary out... This is a must read for anyone interested in the ideas behind "supply side economics", or just interested in economics.
Craig Fiebig
Oct 30, 2013 Craig Fiebig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A singularly important work on the development of economic thought. Prescient when written in 1982. Re-reading it today is a sad commentary on our inability to learn.
Mike
Nov 13, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: economic aficienados
Shelves: business
Just paged through this one again and still has relevance. Different world views of "progressives", i.e. liberals and conservatives are just as stark now as ever.
Peter
Aug 26, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this many moons ago. It among others made me think, and explore ergo the youth matures into a free-market thinker.
Ruth Ann
"The key error of socialism is its attempt to guarantee the value of things but not the ownership of them."
Michelle
Jay is making me read this over the summer as a challenge and to prove i am open-minded. (ugh)
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
Here is an abstract of the book in my scribd shelf: http://bit.ly/15HunOu
Gary Morris
Eye opening and something to come back to often.
Andres Treviño
Must read for conservative thought
Poonam Sharma
Poonam Sharma marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Sudhir
Sudhir marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Tim Tyler
Tim Tyler marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
  • The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It
  • The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure: Why Pure Capitalism Is the World Economy's Only Hope
  • Ideas Have Consequences
  • Knowledge And Decisions
  • Indivisible: Restoring Faith, Family, and Freedom Before It's Too Late
  • Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior Is Changing Everything
  • How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
  • Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass
  • The Ultimate Resource 2
  • The Real Crash
  • Idols for Destruction: The Conflict of Christian Faith and American Culture
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress

“The risk-bearing role of the rich cannot be performed so well by anyone else. The benefits of capitalism still depend on capitalists. The other groups on the pyramid of wealth should occasionally turn from the spectacles of consumption long enough to see the adventure on the frontiers of the economy above them - an adventure not without its note of nobility...” 0 likes