Start by marking “Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)” as Want to Read:
Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)

Abigail (The Wives Of King David #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Abigail's hopes and dreams for the future are wrapped up in her handsome, dark-eyed betrothed, Nabal. But when the long-awaited wedding day arrives, her drunken groom behaves shamefully. Nevertheless, Abigail tries to honor and respect her husband despite his abuse of her.
Meanwhile, Abigail's family has joined David's wandering tribe as he and his people keep traveling to
Published February 1st 2010 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth ChapmanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMichal by Jill Eileen SmithA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
CCC Book Club list 2012-2013
10th out of 94 books — 71 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversGarden of Madness by Tracy L. HigleySo Shines the Night by Tracy L. HigleyThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers
Best Biblical Fiction
15th out of 181 books — 277 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
Abigail, as well as book one in the Wives of King David series, Michal, are hands down two of the best Biblical fiction books I've read in a very long time! I have always wanted to know about David and his life from his boyhood all the way to his place as Israel's king. Both of Ms. Smith's books give tons of insight on what it might have been like back then, and more specifically, what it might have been like to be the wife of a king.

I have to admit that I struggled with this book a little bit i
Nora St Laurent
Once again Jill Eileen Smith whisked me into bible times while introducing us to a tender, young Abigail who loves the Lord and anxiously awaits her arranged marriage with Nabal. This author’s illustration of Abigail’s loss of innocence, heartbreak, agony and struggle, is so powerful I could feel her pain, her sorrow. Nabal is a brash, deceitful, selfish man who will do whatever it takes to satisfy his flesh.

Abigail would not let Nabal break her spirit nor turn her back on God. Instead, she sou
Kaylea
Wow. I truly loved this book. Not only did Smith weave a tale that is gripping, but it truly made me stop at times, to grab for my Bible.

I mean, I've read the story of David, but this made me want to say - wait a minute - what does the Bible say. Is that really in there?

While Smith admits she draws on research and inspiration, the basis of her novel is true and pulled from the Biblical text.

Abigail's story examines the power of choices - both good and bad. It examines how a single choice (in Abi
Simone
Abigail was forced to marry a man she did not love. Though her husband was easy on the eye, rich and prosperous he was a swine, crude mean and physically abusive. Being the submissive and devoted wife she was raised to be Abigail hides the shame, hurt and embarrassment she often felt by the wrath of her husband Nabal and prays daily for God to rescue her from his cruel hands.

After the hand of God strikes Nabal dead because of his vicious ways Abigail begins to believe in true love again when sh
Jerry
An enjoyable account of one of the Bible's most interesting women.
Susan
You know, there aren't a whole lot of female Bible heroes out there. If you wanted to name your kids Biblical names, you'd be fine on boys, but the girls start becoming scarce real fast, unless you have a penchant for Jezebel or Dorcas.

But Abigail is a hero I can cheer on. She's married to Nabal (whose name appropriately means "fool"), a guy who basically defines the term jerk. But she uses her wit and faith to work things out in the end.

The book is well-written and makes you want to turn to the
Mary Findley
Too much inappropriate modern perspective. Too much self-pity. Too little real wisdom. Not enough understanding of the true situation and culture. Point of view very inconsistent. Talks about how she influenced the other women but that's telling, not showing. And childbirth "Sapping a woman's strength"? Has this author ever had a child? Some people are sick while pregnant but it's relatively uncommon beyond a short duration morning sickness and it's very rarely the child sapping the mother's str ...more
Michelle Griep
This is the second book in The Wives of King David series and I liked it better than the first. Not such an enormous time span was covered. I connected with heroine Abigail way better than I did with Michal. And Smith's writing style is much more polished this go around.
Smith did a great job with making me think about and sympathize with what it must have been like to share your husband with other wives. No wonder God's not pro-bigamy. What a horrible way to live!
H.B. Moore
Argh. I just have a hard time reading about polygamist relationships, even Biblical ones. I love to learn about history and cultures, so I enjoyed this book for that reason. Also author Jill Eileen Smith has shed a nice light on the events surrounding King David's experiences before Saul died. Her research and story development is to be commended.

I probably would have given 4 stars, but I wanted more depth between Abigail and David. He fell too instantly "in love" with her (which was lust), and
Mary Wilson
Was not impressed by the way the author portrayed Abigail or David. I guess I've been spoiled by Tosca Lee, who researches her Biblical characters so thoroughly and has such a beautiful writing style. If you want to read some amazing Biblical fiction, read Lee's "Havah" or "Iscariot."
Tiffany
At first, I did not think I would end up liking "Abigail" by Jill Eileen Smith this much. The book started off slow and I had a hard time getting into it. I found myself wanting to skip through the parts written in King David's perspective, and go straight to Abigail's. Honestly, sometimes I didn't like King David. Never thought I'd say that in my life. I questioned why we praised this man so much in the Bible when he made so many mistakes and had multiple wives.

This book is hard to read becaus
Molly
Feb 21, 2010 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Revell Books
After being included in being able to review this book for a blog tour, I knew I had to go and get my copy of Michal, book 1, in The Wives of King David series. I loved Michal so much that I couldn't wait to get a hold of Abigail and start reading it. Unlike Michal, which took me 2 weeks to read, I read Abigail in 2 days. It was just as amazingly good and powerful as book 1. I didn't want to say good bye to these wonderful Biblical people who felt like friends to me.

As with Michal, this book mo
Lisa
Jill Eileen Smith’s second story in the Wives of King David remains more than faithful to the Word. She reminds us that society has not changed since the fall. Our natural tendency toward sin is no excuse, and everyone around us suffers when we fail as children of God.

Smith paints Abigail, widow of Nabal of Maon, as a woman chosen by David as a wife for love, not contract or obligation. Smith recreates a believable description of life with the “fool,” the meaning of Nabal’s name. When Abigail he
Victor Gentile
I had the privilege of interviewing Jill Eileen Smith, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for her new book, "Abigail" Book Two in her Wives of King David series published by Revell. When I finally get to Heaven and after I meet Jesus and my family and friends there are certain individuals from the Bible that I want to track down and spend some time with. Abigail is one of those individuals.

Michal, King Saul's daughter, was the first wife of David given to him because David defeated Goliath
Title: ABIGAIL
Author: Jill Eileen Smith
Publisher: Revell
March 2010
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3321-6
Genre: Inspirational/biblical fiction

Abigail is a young girl, promised in marriage to a man that she does not love. As Abigail blossoms to maturity, she lives in fear of the day when her betrothed will come and take her away, and so does her family—to the point that they are considering running away, or even canceling the betrothal, leaving Abigail as a “divorced” woman, and shunned the rest of her life.

But
Ruth
For her second novel in The Wives of King David series, Jill Eileen Smith explores the life of Abigail, David’s third wife, who came to him while he was still living in the wilderness, running from Saul’s never-ending attempts to end his life. As a widow and a non-royal, Abigail has a strikingly different background and perspective than Michal, David’s first wife, whose story was told in Smith’s first book. While Michal was a privileged princess, Abigail hails from a poor, but loving family, whe ...more
Deborah
Abigail's marriage to Nabal was doomed to failure from the beginning. A handsome man, Nabal arrested her attention from the first and gave her hope for their future together. But when he begins their marriage by behaving shamefully, she still strives to honor her husband despite his drunken revelries almost every night and his blatant disrespect of Adonai.

David and his band of men protect Nabal's herds from being harmed in the wilderness, and when Nabal hears of it, he refuses to recognize Davi
Mandy J. Hoffman
BOOK RECAP:

Bestselling author releases new biblical fiction that tells the story of Abigail: Her marriage to David and their life on the run.

Turmoil marked her life—what price must she pay for love?

From Jill Eileen Smith, bestselling author of Michal, comes the latest biblical fiction in The Wives of King David series: Abigail.
Louise
Baker Publishing Group|February 1, 2010|Trade Paperback|ISBN 978-0-8007-3321-6

Story Description:

Her days are marked by turmoil and faded dreams, Abigail has resigned herself to a life with a man she does not love. But when circumstances offer her a second chance at happiness with the handsome David, she takes a leap of faith to join his wandering tribe. Still, her struggles are far from over. How can she share his love with the other women he insists on marrying?

ABIGAIL follows the bestselling M
Michelle
This novel should be on the NY Times best-seller list. I'm not kidding! In fact, I don't think I've ever said this before about any book I've reviewed. For people who love Biblical fiction, this story should knock their socks off. I'll tell you why...

I was totally entrenched in the lives of the characters and the setting the entire time I read this book. I would've read it straight through if life hadn't gotten in the way. I loved the realism, the emotion, the romance, the way the characters com
Brenda
This book is : The Wives of King David Book 2
I've never read book 1 and was unfamiliar with the story of King David as told through the bible. So I started this story with no background information which was fine.

The book was quite interesting, it takes you back to ancient days and the way they lived. Abigail was evidently promised into marriage to pay a price her family owed, to a man who was abusive and nasty. She does feel she must stay with this man who she has been joined to no matter how b
Debra
This was another good story about King David, this time focusing on Abigail. It covers a part of his life that was left out of "Michal", the first book of the series. I found it fascinating to read the continued character development of David and Abigail, as well as the rest of his wives. From what I can see, the author's account does not stray from the Bible, but there is plenty of room for story-telling and a fine one is woven with this book.
Cindy
Abigail by Jill Eileen Smith is the second in The Wives of King David series. The author stays true to the biblical account and fills in a believable story of the women we know little about. It's a tricky task, to say the least, to stay true to the historical context when writing about multiple wives. But Jill treats the subject with care, centering on the feelings and struggles of these women. The story unfolds so that even those who know the biblical account of David and Saul will keep reading ...more
Fred Kohn
Well, that was disappointing. I was wondering how the first part of the story would play out: would Abigail be portrayed as a submissive but visionary woman as read traditionally, or the opportunistic conniver that theologian Alice Bach and others (including me) have seen in the Biblica text? Predictably, this thoroughly and conventionally Christian author goes with the former interpretation, eschewing the potentially more interesting one. That wasn't my main objection to this book, however. The ...more
Deane
I almost didn't try this book after being disappointed in the way the first book in the series "Michal" was written but a big improvement in the style. And again, the storyline follows the writings of Samuel in Scriptures which I read along with the book. Abigail was such a lovely woman and I really admired her....David really loved her and she was a great help to him in his career.
Heather

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
Fantastic second instalment to the Kings of David series... this time centred on Abigail. Michal gave a good background of David and Saul, whereas in Abigail we read about how she ends up getting married to the mean Nabal. Abigail tried so hard to be ok with the multiple wives when she ended up with David. I felt for her too.

Now I just have to finish 2 Samuel to see how much of this story was actually in the bible.
Patricia
I enjoyed this book tremendously. The author took me back to biblical times when David became king and Abigail, (among others!) became his wife. I got to experience all the many emotions that she felt, and at times I wondered if things would become easier for her. Being a woman and the wife of a king was not easy! At times I was sad and then I would be filled with joy when David would give Abigail the much needed attention she desired. I was pleasantly surprised with the ending of this book. Dav ...more
Barbara
Jill Eileen Smith does a wonderful job involving the reader in the lives of David and Abigail. She seems to stay true to the Bible in all important details and timelines, but simply tries to use her imagination to "flesh out" the story. She seems to be very good at this, revealing the inner turmoil that might be caused when you are one of many wives, and the horrors of life on the run from an enemy. If you like Biblical fiction, this is a great one.
Rachel Robart
Well-written. Brought to light details behind many of the parts of the biblical story that I had not previously understood. I appreciate the author's depth of research and effort to bring these stories to life.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:10PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:27PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 05:06PM
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • Martha
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • City of the Dead
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • The Triumph of Deborah
Jill Eileen Smith is the author of the Wives of the Patriarchs series featuring Sarai, Rebekah, and upcoming Rachel, (Releases 2-1-14) as well as, the bestselling author of Michal, Abigail, and Bathsheba, all part of The Wives of King David series published by Revell (Baker Publishing Group.)

Her writing has taken her from the Bible to Israel and she loves learning how women lived in Old Testament
More about Jill Eileen Smith...

The Wives Of King David (3 books)
  • Michal (The Wives of King David #1)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
Michal (The Wives of King David #1) Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3) Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1) Rebekah (Wives of the Patriarchs, #2) The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land #1)