Start by marking “Shampoodle” as Want to Read:
Shampoodle

Shampoodle

Reading with help

It's picture day at the dog park. But before the first photo can be taken, an exuberant pack of pups needs a bit of grooming. So they’re off to Shampoodle, the local pet salon, where the eager dogs simply cannot sit still. And when some curious cats stop by, things go from messy to mayhem. Shampoodle is perfect for animal lovers and children who are just
Published October 13th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shampoodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shampoodle

Elisha (lishie)
Feb 06, 2010 Elisha (lishie) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son Gabriel won his very first Goodreads First-Reads book (signed by author Joan Holub- thank you)! And boy was he ecstatic... as I tore open the manila envelope, he began clapping then took the book and began "reading/babbling". He loves his books so this was exciting. First of all, the cover illustration by Tim Bowers is so cute and grabbed Gabriel's attention quickly. He kept looking at the dog with bubbles on his head and laughing out loud. Gabriel's a little young for the book (only 9 mo ...more
Shel
Jul 10, 2012 Shel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holub, J. (2009). Shampoodle. New York: Random House, Inc.

32 pages

First off, how fun is the name shampoodle? I can already feel that I'm going to start wandering around, saying I have to shampoodle my hair today. And then people will have yet another reason to think I'm crazy.

Appetizer: This early reader is a Step into Reading step 2 book. In it, it's bog picture day, so a young boy and girl (both white, in case you're on the search for more racial representation in early readers) t
Gabriel
Gabriel won his very first Goodreads First Read book (signed by author Joan Holub- thank you)! And boy was he ecstatic... as I tore open the manila envelope, he began clapping then took the book and began "reading/babbling". He loves his books so this was exciting. First of all, the cover illustration by Tim Bowers is so cute and grabbed Gabriel's attention quickly. He kept looking at the dog with bubbles on his head and laughing out loud. Gabriel's a little young for the book (only 9 months, no ...more
Myrza
Jun 22, 2012 Myrza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Holub, J. (2009). Shampoodle. New York: Random House. This is a great humorous easy reader book with curious pups at a pet salon. This group of pups are about to take a picture at the dog park, but first they need to get ready. They go to a pet salon for some grooming needs. These impatient pups just can’t sit still and things get havoc when some curious cats stop by.
Tarra
I had to see if this book was on goodreads! My 1st grader just did a reading fair project on Shampoodle. (She won Honorable Mention in her division!) It's a cute book, good for beginning readers with some challenging words. Nice illustrations. Is it going to be a reread and a classic in our house? Nope.
Amalia
Jan 18, 2011 Amalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read a really funny book - check this one out! It had me rolling! My Ima read it to me over lunch yesterday, complete with sound effects! I don't want to spoil it for you but the part when the cats came in was hilarious! I laughed and laughed! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Love, Ezra (almost 1 year old!)

Susan
Maybe my hopes were up to high because of the great title. I saw the title on a kid's summer reading folder and ordered it because I love the title so much. It was just okay. Even Lola didn't request it again and said to take it back to the library when we went through her stack, and that's pretty rare that we read a book only once.
Dolly
Jun 01, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, pets, rhyming, 2012
This is a fun, rhyming tale about dogs getting groomed before getting pictures taken. The story is short and humorous and the illustrations are colorful. It's a good book for beginning readers and we enjoyed reading it together.
Holly Letson
This was a cute little wacky story of dogs making a huge mess. Cats gave them a fright, then ran out of sight. Dogs having new styles applied to hair as they continued to run everywhere. But, the picture turned out looking real in the end.
Candice
Cute rhyming text about dogs getting ready for picture day. Illustrations support and extend beyond the text. Perfect for beginning readers who want to practice reading words with -ing and -ed suffixes.
Marya
May 26, 2015 Marya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
Unless your little one is very familiar with dog grooming, this book does not give a lot of context clues to help them read. The story isn't terrible...it's just awful when slowed down to a crawl for an early reader to sound out the words.
Emily Allentown
Nov 23, 2009 Emily Allentown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations are really cute. Kenneth's (5 yrs) favorite part is when the dogs get groomed with unusual hairdos that resemble their groomers' hair. The phrases 'striped like skunk' and 'super funk' come into play. A cute one. preK to grade 1, 32 pages.
Shelli
Sep 10, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Shampoodle is a silly fun and colorful picture book for early readers. The story has just the right amount of sight words to build young readers confidence and slightly more challenging words they can practice sounding out.
Deanna
Mar 05, 2010 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb read this too me. I don't think it's a good children's reader because there are all sorts of random big words that don't fit into the story and so they can't decode them as easily.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
would have liked it more if I read it in paper rather than the ebk. the text and images sometimes weren't on the same screen.
Juliana Lee
Funny story for the beginning independent reader. Dogs groomed for picture day at the park collide with cats and gardener, end up a huge muddy mess!
Netanella
Jul 26, 2015 Netanella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Cute rhymes, cuter pictures, especially when the kitties get into the dog groomers and all havoc breaks loose. My son loved it.
Michael Leitzman
Dec 11, 2012 Michael Leitzman rated it liked it
very cute book. I read this with my little brother and he enjoyed just as i did. Great illustrations. Funny and interesting book. I would read this book to my class.
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Oct 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was a fun book about some dogs being groomed.
Mikayla
Mikayla rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
Dyson
Dyson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Scott Koon
Scott Koon rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Parker
Parker rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Kamila Alvarez
Kamila Alvarez rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Evgenia Andrianova
Evgenia Andrianova rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Margarita
Margarita rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Jayme Williams
Jayme Williams rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Disney's Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming
  • Biscuit Wins a Prize
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale
  • Storm is Coming!
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Princess Pigtoria And The Pea
  • Pinkalicious: The Princess of Pink Slumber Party (I Can Read Book 1)
  • I Like Bugs
  • Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report
  • Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash
  • The Berenstain Bears' Family Reunion (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Wolf Camp
  • The Berenstain Bears' Class Trip
  • Hot Dog
  • I Love You As Big As the World
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...