I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)

I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The 7th book in the bestselling Fly Guy series--with fun foil covers!
When Fly Guy and Buzz play hide-and-seek, Fly Guy hides in his favorite place--the garbage can. But as Buzz finishes counting, the garbageman drives away with the garbage and Fly Guy, too! A very worried Buzz follows the truck to the dump, where he sees zillions of flies. Where is Fly Guy?!
Time after ti...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Cartwheel Books

Alicia
I Spy Fly Guy is the most recent book in Tedd Arnold's Fly Guy early reader series. I've loved Tedd Arnold's picture books (especially Parts and More Parts) with his simple, colorful drawings and bug eyed characters, so I was excited to read Fly Guy. The Fly Guy books are stories about a boy named Buzz and his pet fly (named Fly Guy). In I Spy Fly Guy, Buzz and Fly Guy are playing a game of hide and seek. When Fly Guy hides in a garbage can he is accidentally taken to the garbage dump, where Buz...more
Lisa Mason
1. The book is a 2010 Geisel honor book for controlled vocabulary.

2. This buddy book recounts the story of a young boy named Buzz and his pet fly. The boy and the fly play hide-and-seek but when Fly Guy hides in the garbage can, the garbage truck arrives. Buzz has to travel to the local dump to find his friend and finish their game.

3. a. Characterization b. I Spy Fly Guy is designed for the emergent reader. The size of the text is large and most pages contain only one or two sentences with plent...more
Jennifer Warrick Davis
My 6 year old son recently borrowed this book from our local library.

I Spy Fly guy is book #7 in the series, but you do not have to read them in any order to understand them. Buzz and his pet fly, Fly Guy, are playing a game of hide and seek. Fly Guy hides in a trash can is accidentally carried off to the dump. Buzz hurries to the dump to find him. He finds several flies that he think might be fly guy, only to disappointingly find out they are not. Buzz decides to finish playing the game of hid...more
McKayden Howard
I Spy Fly Guy!' is a brilliant transitional book with short chapters and longer sentences for children to feel accomplished. It is a story about a boy and his pet fly having fun while playing Hide and Go Seek but something goes incredibly wrong: The fly gets taken away by the garbage man while hiding in the trash can. It is up to the boy to find him.
The pictures in this book are outstanding and really support the text, however, the text is so pure, it could stand alone. This book is perfect for...more
Room 123
I really like Fly Guy books because they are funny. Do you like books? Do you like flies? Then this book is perfect for you. It adds tons of details. Do you want to know why Fly Guy always says "buzzzz" or "yezzzzz"? You have to read the book to find out! His language is really funny. I love Fly Guy because of the bright colors. I don't know any other series like this because it is funny. I read this book to my baby cousin. She laughed and cried when Fly Guy got lost in the junkyard and she smil...more
Traci
Genre: Controlled Vocabulary Picture Book

Summary:

This book is about Buzz and his pet fly. Fly is in the trash can when the garbage man takes him away to the dump. Buzz and his father go to the dump where Buzz searches and searches until he is reunited with his beloved pet fly.

(a) The book is a wonderful tool in teaching controlled vocabulary. The words are simple and repetitive and are presented in a fun and entertaining way that will capture the attention of young students.

(b) The best part of...more
Ciera
I love all Ted Arnold books and illustrations! This one is about a boy named Buzz and his pet fly, whose name is Fly Guy. The book goes through a series of short chapters. The pictures are always so funny, and the story line is cute. The two play hide and seek, Fly Guy likes to hide in the garbage can, while Buzz hid in the garden shed. Fly Guy likes to eat while Buzz looks for him and calls out "I spy Fly Guy!" When Fly Guy is hiding in the can, a garbageman comes and picks up the trash with hi...more
Shelby Fungone
This is a good book for introducing the concept of chapters to young children. It’s a sweet story about the friendship between Buzz and his fly friend, Fly Guy. In this story they play an innocent game of Hide and Go Seek but Buzz worries when Fly Guy gets carried to the local trash dump. To save his fly friend, Buzz has his father drive him to the dump to find Fly Guy. He searches but finds tons more flies and feels hopeless. The illustrations in this book were amazing and simple, with very uni...more
Megan Staten
This is a really cute picture book that is also a transitional picture book. This book makes sense when read out of order as well as part of the series.
Crystal
The illustrations showing Fly Guy eating in the garbage can made my stomach feel a bit wobbly, but the humor made up for it. This is a very cute book.
Mrs. Knott
2010 Geisel Honor award
Fly Guy still remains a funny guy and Tedd Arnold delivers a funny story.
Bree
terrible illustrations and the story was very bad. will not borrow again.
Kim
Alaina read these Fly Guy books to Logan and me yesterday--what fun!
Marianne (Mia) Emery
This easy reader chapter book tells of two game-playing friends, a boy and his fly. During a regular game of hide-and-seek, Fly Guy, the fly, hides in a trash can that is picked up by a garbage truck that ends up at the city dump. Thousands of flies cover the garbage while Buzz, the boy, tries desperately to find Fly Guy. The bug-eyed illustrations are comical and entertaining while the odd friendship between a boy and a fly are funny to consider.
Carolynne
Another felicitous addition to the easy to read Fly Guy series by award-winning, Tedd Arnold. Fly Guy and Buzz are playing I Spy, when Fly Guy is inadvertently carried off to the garbage dump. Buzz hies after the truck to find him but is flummoxed by the thousands of flies, all seemingly able to call Buzz's name. Buzz figures out a way to separate F.G. from the masses and it all ends well. An ALA notable book and Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book.
Lauran Ferguson
I think this is a cute book for young children who are just beginning to read; however, there was one aspect of the book that kind of threw me off. The book is split into two chapters. I don't know if the author was just trying to show children that books can come in chapters, but I thought the book would have flowed perfectly fine if it was one continuous chapter. Aside from that, I thought the pictures in the book were adorable.
Melissa
Buzz and Fly Guy decide to play hide and seek. It is Fly Guy's turn to hide and he chooses his favorite place, a trash can. While hiding and Buzz counting the trash man comes and takes the trash along with Fly Guy. A worried Buzz gets his dad to follow the trash truck to the dump. Now he must find Fly Guy within a sea of flies.

The book was very cute and a fun read.

(Children's Notable Book, 2010)
Jessie
This one was a little funny because he realizes all the flies know how to say his name.

My Summary,
The boy and the fly play hide and seek. The garbage truck takes the fly with the garbage truck. The boy makes his dad take him to the dump to find the fly and he realizes that he has to tell the fly to come out because he forgot they are still playing hide and seek. He finds his fly and they go home.
Tam
This was a fun little story about Fly Guy and his human, Buzz. I was really surprised that my 4-year-old could read most of this book without help. It had a lot of small, repetitive words and phrases. For example, "Fly Guy hid in the garbage can. He always hid in the garbage can." A few pages later it said, "Fly Guy hid in the garbage can again. Just then, the garbageman came."
Mrs.
Fun book for several level of beginning readers. Would make a good read aloud for showing how the illustration adds to the story when the text does not give all the information. Seem to almost posses the qualities of a graphic novel in that respect at times. Fun book for discussion on may points. These books are favorites at our school.
Cara Stone
Filled with fun illustrations and sight-words this book would appeal to a young reader who is beginning to read on his/her own. Added confidence-booster: chapters
A fun story about a boy and his pet fly. Follow the two as they play hide-and-seek...but what happens when the fly's hiding place gets taken to the garbage dump?
Becca Calvin
This book was cute because Buzz lost his fly guy friend in a garbage dump site. All the flies in that dump site could say Buzz's name so it was hard to find his little fly friend. But then he remembered he was playing hide and seek so his friend wasn't going to come out. So he quit the game and found his little friend.
Natalie Heavrin
I Spy Fly Guy is a great book for children to get introduced to chapter books. There are pictures on every page and only three chapters, but they will still be proud that they read a chapter book. This is a fun series with funny pictures. It is also a Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book which makes me like it even more!
Leslie
Fly Guy is very popular with the kids at our elementary school. In this book Buzz and Fly Guy play hide and seek, and Buzz panics when Fly Guy accidentally gets taken to the city dump. How will Buzz find Fly Guy amongst ALL the flies at the dump?

I can see why Tedd Arnold is so popular...cute book.
Kelsey Scherer
Another perfect book for interventions! This time Buzz and Fly Guy decide to play an innocent game of hide-and-seek. Fly Guy tries to be sly and hide in his favorite spot, the trash can, but before Buzz can find him the trash gets collected! What is Buzz going to do?! A fun and entertaining Fly Guy book.
Rebecca Sharp
This beginning reader Geisel Honor book is cartoonish with its illustrations of Buzz and his pet fly, Fly Guy. Buzz narrowly misses losing his playful pet fly during a game of hide-and-seek gone awry. This is the perfect beginning reader book for kindergarten-second graders.
Mary Crytzer
Great, fun book. Excellent choice to introduce new readers to chapter books. Pictures were age appropriate and funny. I love that Buzz was looking for his friend at the end of the story, and if you looked close enough you could see the little guy on Buzz's hat.
Kate Bowles
Our favorite of the Fly Guy books my personal fav part is that the dad who was going to work instead drives his kid to find Fly Guy
Kelly
Feb 18, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: easy-reader
I like the introduction to the book to show you the characters and how they get along. I liked the repetition again and the play on the "I Spy" game. Also a story that kids can relate to in losing their pet or stuffed animal or friend.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is a 2010 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award honor book for easy reader. The very simple text and appealing artwork make the whole "Fly Guy" series fun reads. Just the idea of a fly for a pet is unusual and interesting. Recommended!
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready
  • Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas (Henry and Mudge, #26)
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Biscuit Visits the Big City
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Stinky
  • Vulture View
  • Dodsworth in New York
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,...more
More about Tedd Arnold...
Parts (Parts, #1) Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1) More Parts (Parts, #2) There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4) Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)