Start by marking “Me and You” as Want to Read:
Me and You

Me and You

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Two artistic friends, paintbrushes in hand ...
?I wish I were just like you,? says the rabbit to the pig.
?I wish I were just like you,? says the pig to the rabbit.
As the friends use paintbrushes and a few props to adjust tails, ears and noses, something soon becomes clear: they liked each other better before. ?I am me and you are you ... that's why we love each other, me
Published August 1st 2009 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Me and You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and You

Song for Papa Crow by Marit MenzinIt's Okay to Be Different by Todd ParrA Color of His Own by Leo LionniThe Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian AndersenLeo the Late Bloomer by Robert Kraus
It's Good To Be Me
45th out of 172 books — 99 voters
Love You Forever by Robert MunschScaredy Squirrel by Mélanie WattThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschJillian Jiggs by Phoebe GilmanSomething From Nothing by Phoebe Gilman
Canadian Books for Young Children
23rd out of 35 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sadie Tucker
Pig and rabbit admire each other’s great qualities and wish that they could take the other’s place. When they begin to dress up as each other they realise that being themselves is the best of all.

This is a straightforward, but charming story best suited for toddlers and young preschoolers. The watercolour-like illustrations are expressive, yet simple. In order to help hold a little one’s interest and engagement this book is best read with plenty of commentary and interaction, as the plot is a li
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, picturebook
I was initially attracted by the lively illustrations that seem to be of watercolour and charcoal on mostly white backgrounds that seemed to convey a lot of joyful emotion. However, I was disappointed by the story which repeated almost every phrase twice without providing illustrations that were thought provoking enough to continue the interest in the monotonous banter between the pig and the rabbit. The story felt too simple to sustain interest and a little confusing on a child's level, present ...more
Edward Creter
May 13, 2014 Edward Creter rated it liked it
Cute tale of a bunny and a pig who play country mouse/city mouse by becoming each other, hoping to find a place in their friendship, only to find as we all do and should that the qualities we see in others are qualities we already have. And y'know? It's okay to accept who we are as well as who the other person is.
carissa
Recommended Ages: toddlers - pre-K

Two artistic friends, paintbrushes in hand ... "I wish I were just like you," says the rabbit to the pig. "I wish I were just like you," says the pig to the rabbit. As the friends use paintbrushes and a few props to adjust tails, ears and noses, something soon becomes clear: they liked each other better before. "I am me and you are you ... that's why we love each other, me and you!" This gentle celebration of friendship and individuality by award-winning writer
Cordell Richards
Sep 20, 2015 Cordell Richards rated it it was amazing
it very so sweet story to funny be best friend. that I was feel that way before with my first best friend.
Nancy Julmice
Jun 08, 2015 Nancy Julmice rated it it was amazing

Me and You is a great book to read to children, especially when they want to be just like their best friend.
Catherine Austen
Feb 04, 2014 Catherine Austen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable characters, gorgeous pictures, simple sweet text. Very cute book for the very young.
Peacegal
Mar 29, 2016 Peacegal rated it liked it
Cute book about friendship.
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 02, 2009 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I wish there was a half a star rating here; I'm waffling between 3 and 4. This is a darling story about two friends who wish they were like each other. Pig paints himself white and puts socks on his ears so he will look like Rabbit. Rabbit paints herself pink and covers her ears so they are short and stubby, like Pig's. In the end they decide they like it better when each is their own normal self. Pretty simple, but just beyond sweet. Let's give it a 4!
Sep 08, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A pig and and bunny, best friends, wish they were just like the other. They spend the story wishing for each others ears, tails, and charming ways. They discover that they like each other very much and that "I am me and you are you. That's why we love each other, me and you!"

Recommended for preschool and perhaps kindergarten. A sweet story about good friends.
Emily Pinnick
Dec 05, 2012 Emily Pinnick rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent! It takes something that we do all the time and makes it into a cute story. Everyone always wishes that they were someone else or that they had something that someone else had, and this book does a great job of showing what can happen if you wish you were something else. In the end, the two friends decide to be exactly who they are. Very cute!
Kate
Feb 15, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute, simple text about young friendship and the joy of just being "you." The friends try to look more like each other (with a series of props) and come to realize how much they appreciate their friend just the way they are. Self-acceptance from an external perspective. Appropriate for toddlers to preschool; a limited word/picture ratio.
Nicole
Feb 07, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. I think this book should be a part of any child's library. The story is sweet and simple with a beautiful message - loving others for their differences, but also loving yourself for what makes you personally unique. It's about appreciating the beauty in yourself and others, and celebrating that beauty.
Sandybear76
Two friends are painting and decide they want to be just like the other. So the pig gets long ears - long socks- and the bunny has a curly tail - They add more and more to change themselves so they look like the other. Funny, cute, adorable. I recommended this book to the k-2 teachers at school.
Jess Brown
Bunny and Pig each want to look like the other--as they start to alter their appearances, they discover that they like the way each other looked all along! Cute book that would show little ones that they are best as their own, unique, individual selves. Best for toddlers and preschoolers.
Paul  Hankins
A pig and rabbit wonder would it would be like to be the other friend. The illustrations are priceless as toes get taller, ears get longer, and tails get a little more curly.

A celebration of differences as much as a celebration of being one's self!
Allison
Jan 15, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Bunny wishes for a button nose and curly tale like pig
Pig wishes for floppy ears and a cotton candy tale like bunny

They dress up as each other and discover how silly it looks to pretend to be someone else.

Love these illustrations.
babyhippoface
Sep 02, 2009 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Sweet book about two friends who each want to be like the other one, but eventually realize that changing wouldn't be good, because they like each other just the way they are. Good for sharing one-on-one with the littlest readers.
Kayla
Nov 02, 2012 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
I love this series. It is a picture book about two friends who decide they just want to be themselves. They decide its not a good idea to try to be someone else and to only be YOU! Cute book that will be in my classroom!
Kristen
Sep 21, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Cute! A very simple story about friends who are different, but want to be like each other, and realize they like the other just the way they are. Especially nice for that early elementary set of girls who want to be "twins".
The Library Lady
Sep 22, 2009 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The art is charming and expressive. The text edges on the saccharine and misses--just. One step the other way and it would have been perfect for the sort of folks that think "Barney" is good children's TV!
Annji
Feb 27, 2010 Annji rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another Christmas pressie from my best friend. If you read her inscription at the front of this book, you'd understand why this small children's book earns a rare 5 stars from me.
Megan
Aug 10, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Cute tale of a bunny and a pig who each wish they were like the other. Through the illustrations, they gradually start to resemble each other, and then realize how silly they look.
Amy Carr
Nov 20, 2009 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A very sweet story for preschoolers...illustrates beautifully the importance of loving who you are and appreciating all the things that are wonderful and unique about you.
Edna
Mar 13, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations showing how two very different animals (people?) want to look like the other only to find out the real reason why they like each other.
Lindsey Lubker
Oct 03, 2012 Lindsey Lubker rated it it was amazing
This book is about two friends who want to be alike but eventually find out they really want to just be themselves. This book has great illustrations.
Kim
Bunny and pig are best friends, but the pig wants to be like rabbit and rabbit wants to be like pig. In the end they are both happy with who they are.
Beth
Mar 16, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A pig and a rabbit like traits of each other. Trying to be something that they are not makes both of them look funny. The artwork is playful.
Bethany
Jan 22, 2011 Bethany rated it really liked it
Very sweet book about a bunny who wants to be a pig and a pig who wants to be a bunny. A lighthearted take on the topic of just being yourself.
Marie
Sep 05, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it
A simple, charming tale of appreciating ourselves and each other for who we each are. The illustrations of the two friends are delightful.
  • Three Hens and a Peacock
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck
  • Little Oink
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Piggy Pie Po
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • I'm Not Santa!