Start by marking “Dark Side of the Moon: Wernher von Braun, the Third Reich, and the Space Race” as Want to Read:
Dark Side of the Moon: Wernher von Braun, the Third Reich, and the Space Race

Dark Side of the Moon: Wernher von Braun, the Third Reich, and the Space Race

This illuminating story of the dawn of the space age reaches back to the reactionary modernism of the Third Reich, using the life of “rocket scientist” Wernher von Braun as its narrative path through the crumbling of Weimar Germany and the rise of the Nazi regime. Von Braun, a blinkered opportunist who could apply only tunnel vision to his meteoric career, stands as an arc ...more
Published September 28th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Dark Side of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Side of the Moon

A Man on the Moon by Andrew ChaikinFailure is Not an Option by Gene KranzThe Right Stuff by Tom WolfeLost Moon by Jim LovellCarrying the Fire by Michael  Collins
Space Books
196th out of 263 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexia Gordon
Jul 12, 2011 Alexia Gordon rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Dark Side of the Moon read like a glorfied op-ed piece. Biddle sprinkled his manuscript with quotes from secondary sources and lots of German and French words (which slowed down the reading without adding anything to the story) to try to hide the fact that this book is really just an essay on his low opinion of Germany. Wernher von Braun seemed an afterthought in his own biography. Biddle would go on for pages about the narrow-mindedness of the German aristocratic class and the ineptitude of ear ...more
Greg Stoll
Aug 23, 2012 Greg Stoll rated it it was ok
Meh. The point of the book is to show that Wernher von Braun was really a Nazi and not nearly as innocent as he later claimed. The book is relatively short (~150 pages) but very dry and a bit hard to follow. (disclaimer: I read this when I was exhausted, so it's possibly less dry than I thought, but I'm sure not going to read it again to find out)
Max Williamson
Apr 06, 2014 Max Williamson rated it liked it
very well written and clearly well researched. recommended to anyone with an interest in any of the areas it covers.

opens by considering von braun's career and life in the wider context of the relationship between scientific discovery and morality, and whether a scientist has a case to answer for applications that arise from his work.

what he brings to light about von braun's upbringing is also very interesting and revealing

however, i had expected and hoped the book would cover his work for the
Jun 18, 2010 SL rated it liked it
um, yeah, Wernher von Braun was a Nazi...
Doug Jennings
Jun 02, 2010 Doug Jennings rated it really liked it
Author Wayne Biddle described the fascinating events and zeitgeist in the Germany of Werner Von Braun's parents and his childhood leading up to Hitler's rise to Chancellor. He describes the romanticising of technology that gripped the imagination of the German people and Nazis in particular. This lead to the acceleration of rocket science development for the Nazi war effort. The rockets that were mass produced by the Nazi regime were created with slave labor in inhuman conditions. Thousands of F ...more
Charlotte Smith
Apr 17, 2015 Charlotte Smith rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a gripping account of Von Braun and documents his journey in becoming a world renowned rocket scientist. The book does delve into his involvement with the Nazi Party. I think it is unlikely he would not have known about the horrendous treatment of slave workers at the military base where he spent so much of his time during WW2. However Dark Side of The Moon does also focus on what Von Braun wanted to achieve, to get mankind into space. And on to the Moon.

Jun 05, 2015 Keval rated it it was ok
I like the historical context of how the rocket programme started and where it was going, but at the same time, the point about how von Braun is 'special' and was spared trial for his Nazi credentials became a tad repetitive.

Aaron Cochrill
Feb 14, 2016 Aaron Cochrill rated it liked it
Very academic book. It was interesting and detailed, but not necessarily my cup of tea. I was hoping that Himmler and his fascination and melding of the occult would be more discussed.
Ira Langstein
Mar 15, 2014 Ira Langstein rated it it was amazing
Magnificent. Exposes the many innate contradictions in what we call: being human.
Jan 24, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it
Because von Braun was able to transform his status from Nazi rocket scientist to father of the U.S. space program, biographer Biddle was challenged to overcome the lack of information on -- some would say willful disinterest in -- the first four decades of his subject's life. The result is a book that at once is too long and too short. Worth reading, though.
Mar 05, 2012 Cailin rated it it was ok
Interesting topic, but I found the writing incredibly dry. This book had made me think much more critically about the Von Braun mythology. I would have liked to delve deeper into his post-war career, but that wasn't really within the scope of this book.
Apr 19, 2010 Harry rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Somewhat disappointing (almost any many footnotes as narrative). Von Braun was the darling of the "space race" media in the 60's. Even then it smelled of bull-shit...former Nazi leads US to victory in space race against the Commies.
Mar 17, 2011 Cira rated it it was ok

+5 stars for the aggressive historical context
-2 stars for adding nothing to Neufeld's work
-1 star for the bizarre writing style; it's weird what Biddle chooses to focus on (and dismiss)
Nov 13, 2011 Jon rated it liked it
The book was eye-opening for a person like me who watched the Apollo launches and all the praise heaped on Werner von Braun. In the pages of this book I learned the dark past of the man.
May 05, 2012 Justine rated it did not like it
So poorly written and argued that I could not finish it.
Norman Montes
Norman Montes marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Paolo Cordone
Paolo Cordone rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Shobhit Mishra
Shobhit Mishra marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Michael is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2016
Compass marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Caitlin Chapman-rambo
Caitlin Chapman-rambo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Scathach rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2016
TJ Gardner
TJ Gardner marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Truls Krane
Truls Krane marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Sara rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2016
Liane Tarnecki
Liane Tarnecki marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Saibal rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Monika marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Daniel Green
Daniel Green rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016