Start by marking “God of War” as Want to Read:
God of War

God of War (God of War #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  554 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Offering deeper insights into the critically acclaimed God of War franchise, this novel returns us to the dark world of ancient Greek mythology explored in the heart-pounding action of God of War I, the bestselling video game.

A brutal warrior, Kratos is a slave to the gods of Olympus. Plagued by the nightmares of his past and yearning for freedom, the Ghost of Sparta would
Published May 25th 2010 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about God of War, please sign up.

Kanishk Vats which character you are talking about.
Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
24th out of 247 books — 275 voters
Taking Shots by Toni AleoThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonThe Deal by Elle KennedyBinding Arbitration by Elizabeth MarxTrying to Score by Toni Aleo
Romance with hero/heroine are athletes
349th out of 574 books — 754 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
Quite entertained!!!

A NEW KIND OF GREEK CHAMPION

Maybe I am one of the few or maybe the only one who read this novel without having played the video game whose is based this novelization.

My good "ol' days" of video gaming ended in Playstation 1, but I like to keep around of video games' world, hearing from some of my friends that they are still in the exciting world of video gaming.

I chose to read it since a good friend is a huge fan of this video game and of the character of Kratos, so when
Mike (the Paladin)
Maybe I need to start a shelf called "based on video games". I've read a few books that were based or inspired by video games. This one left me rather, meah.

I suppose it's not that it's a bad book or even that's it's not particularly well written. It's just as I said...meah.

In short with any "spoilers" (spoilers would be hard to come by anyway if you're familiar with the game) the book is an ultimately circular experience which follows the experience of the game. I'v4e side stepped the game as i
Tyson
Nov 22, 2013 Tyson rated it did not like it
As a huge video game player and fan of the God of War series I was really looking forward to the latest adaption of the game by Matthew Stover. However, after a few chapters in I realized that I was not going to get what I was hoping for.

All of the players are accounted for. We have Zeus, Poseidon, Ares, and Athena as well as a few other gods. We also have the Ghost of Sparta, Kratos, our hero. with all of the Dramatis Personae accounted for this should be one rocking adaptation of God of War. H
Cookie
Sep 18, 2015 Cookie marked it as to-read
God I loved this video game. Neeeed this book.
David Bernardino
Jan 22, 2015 David Bernardino rated it it was ok
I'm a huge GoW fan, and that's why I picked this book up. The game was insanely fun, and since I'm a huge greek mythology nerd, I was expecting to absolutely love this book.
I couldn't be more wrong.
Reading it was a pain. I can't leave a book unfinished so I had to power through pages of endless, repetitive, over descriptive scenes of Kratos either killing, beheading, impaling or whatever more he could do to all the enemies. The ammount of carnage is way too much for a single book; in a videogame
Lord Nouda
I knew that movie to book adaptations were bad, but games are hardly any better. The author was even so kind so as to include practically every single battle scene and enemy encounter that could have been found in the original game itself. Thank you for making exciting battles insanely boring.

I really wanted to like the book because I'm a fan of novels relating to Ancient Greek-mythology and an author's unique spin of a somewhat old concept into his new world. All the major Gods; Poseidon, Zeus,
Richard
Nov 22, 2013 Richard rated it did not like it
I am a big fan of Matthew Stover, so I had high hopes for this. Yes I know it's a video game tie-in novel, but the Infinity Blade novels prove that such books can be excellent in their own right. Unfortunately this is not. It is dire. It's just page after page of a video game protagonist slaughtering unnamed video game monsters. Sometimes there is some dialog with some other characters who are not involved in the slaughter - presumably these are the 'quest setter' characters in the game since th ...more
Bobbi
Apr 14, 2011 Bobbi added it
Shelves: abandoned
I know, based on a video game. But come on, it's Matthew Stover!

Update: giving this one up. So far there has been 5% plot, 95% fighting. The character (I want to say characters, but it feels like the others are just foils) is not only poorly developed, I can't think of a single redeeming quality except for being strong. It literally feels like a video game, and I expect more story even in my video games. When I find myself skipping whole pages of fighting to try to find dialogue or other action,
Mike (the Paladin)
Looks like I may need to establish a new shelf...electronic game tie-in, or maybe just game tie-in.

Anyway this isn't a bad book. I haven't played the game this book is based. That said the game progression is plain in the story. take on a quest, complete the quest, gain a power or item, begin another quest.

It's all there but it's handled very well (you know for a book about a video game). Kratos is sort of a depressing fellow. Understandable I suppose as in the throes of battle rage and blood lu
Horace Derwent
more exciting than the games
Javarus Carstarphen
Nice book kratos at the ending coming the new god of war was awesome going through challenges to break his nightmares was pure awesomeness. He had face battles no mere mortal could deafeat. Know he was the new god of war.
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Mar 14, 2016 Les Chroniques Aléatoires rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
MON DIEU!!! LE SEUL ET L’UNIQUE!!!!!
Je vais pas vous le cacher, mais j’ai pris 3 ans pour le lire et pour cause. Non pas que le livre ne m’intéressait pas, non loin de là, mais je jouais au jeu du même titre!!! JE SUIS UNE FAN DE KRATOS!!!! <3 . Je ne l’ai jamais caché que je suis fan du jeu GOD OF WAR sorti sur Playstation. J’ai joué et rejoué à toutes les version PS3 (pour les version HD) et PSVITA (pour les version PSP jouable sur ce modèle).

Bref, je ne vais pas trop étaler ma fanittutte m
Jimmy Corvan
Apr 12, 2011 Jimmy Corvan rated it liked it
This was surprisingly better than I expected. That said, I can see through my own bias and realize that a non-fan of the game series would probably not enjoy this novel. While I did thoroughly enjoy the book, I can not give it more than 3 stars simply because the majority of the book is simply a verbatim recreation of what happens in the game. Most of the time, in fact, it's as if the author just sat next to someone who is playing the game and wrote down what was happening as it happened.

The bes
Dushyant Shetty
Feb 16, 2012 Dushyant Shetty rated it it was ok
First came the game that obsessed millions of fans with its blood and gore and an intense and gripping plot that got players to actually identify with Kratos, a character unlike any other, but a hateful, violent and unrepentently destructive man/demigod/monster you'd normally hate to be. The plot actually required the player to use a great degree of strategy and intelligence in a lot of situations, and included a few mind-bending puzzles. Almost everyone loved it. Then came GoW II and GoW III an ...more
Dmitry Yakovenko
Dec 24, 2011 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Новеллизация популярной игры God of War, эксклюзива PlayStation. В книге рассказана история спартанского война, Кратоса, который служит богам. Написана книга превосходно, язык крайне простой, из-за чего можно довольно быстро прочитать эту историю. Отличные диалоги, описания сражений не вызывающие нареканий. Все в этой книге отлично, да вот только главный герой не вызывает жалости, ему не переживаешь, ведь он, просто моральный урод, не знает ни жалости, ни доблести, и любви, он просто убивает, уб ...more
Lucas Liner
Jun 07, 2015 Lucas Liner rated it it was amazing
After having beaten the original game for PlayStation 2 years ago, reading through this novelization was a great way to re-live one of the greatest games of all time. Well worth the read.
Damion Leach
Jan 19, 2013 Damion Leach rated it really liked it
I don't agree with most reviews on this book. I too have played every game in the series and have the trophies to show for it. I think the book gives people the true narrative as the game gives you some, but it's focus is more on the big climaxes. I enjoyed the details and truly got into it and felt like I was over Kratos' shoulder seeing the action. I will say some parts in this book are different from the game, but it didn't take away from anything at all. I give this book 4 stars because it w ...more
Vaibhav Chauhan
Awesome novel . more than I expected.
Raquel Leite
Jan 28, 2014 Raquel Leite rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nunca pensei que o pior livro que lesse este este ano fosse já em Janeiro e muito menos o God Of War 0.0
Hypia Sanches
Aug 30, 2015 Hypia Sanches rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it was possible to READ a videogame, but, apparently, it is. I don't know if it was because I knew it's related to the game, but I could totally picture the scenes and the fights and stuff.

Kratos is too "Hulk crushes" for my tastes, but we can see him as a character with personality, not only a cold-blooded warrior.

All the Greek gods act just the way I think they would if they were real. It was nice to see them portrayed exactly like I imagine them.

Just ordered book 2.
Felipe Guerrero
Apr 26, 2015 Felipe Guerrero rated it liked it
La idea de novelizar este juego fue buena, pero a la hora de ejecutarlo siento que puedo haber quedado mejor.

Es difícil adaptar un juego de acción a un libro, pero aún así el libro empieza bastante bien y de pronto cae en picada y es aburridisimo, después mejora, se vuele a tornar aburrido, mejora y acaba.

Se volvió muy aburrido en cuanto comenzó a relatar los enigmas en el templo de Pandora en incluso durante algunas batallas pero a fin de cuentas es un libro más o menos entretenido.
Berta Kleiner
Jun 06, 2016 Berta Kleiner rated it did not like it
I am a huge Matthew Woodring Stover fan, and basically I am prepared to rate everything he writes at least 4 stars, but this one bored me almost to tears.
Matt Cash
Jun 08, 2013 Matt Cash rated it liked it
There was some background intrigue as the Gods of Olympus maneuver and mold Kratos into a man worthy of killing a god. The author mercifully skipped a lot of tedious puzzles and substituted more traps and obstacles more worthy of the written word. His explanation of how Kratos can access the powers given to him (Medusa gaze, Zeus's thunderbolt, etc. ) struck me as a bit cheesy, but it got the job done. I would say this is more for fans of the series.
Fritz
Jul 22, 2012 Fritz rated it liked it
I was really let down by this book. I have been a fan of God of War since its inception, and I was hoping the Novel would be delving into a lot of detailed backstory into the character of Kratos and his struggles. Unfortunately, the book is a lot of Kratos running around with the blades of chaos. That isn't to say it is bad, but...the book is literally just what you have done in the game...written. It adds no real depth and that is unfortunate.
Steven
Jul 28, 2011 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, games, fantasy
I played God of War 2 and 3 but didn't take too much notice of the first game so the story was quite fresh to me which is why I enjoyed this book. Had I played the game myself then I'm not sure it would have been as good and even at that, there were some points where I could imagine the game in my head and what buttons were being pressed at that point. Not that original but still a good quick summer read.
Elena
Jun 01, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok
Firstly as most of this books readers I love the video game. It's one of my favorites but the book was not what I expected.At All! It was only about fighting, I like books with blood that also combine mythology but i found this one too much,it didn't concentrate on the plot but only in these scenes.For me it was boring only repeating the same and the same. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Marc Kohlman
May 15, 2011 Marc Kohlman rated it it was amazing
I've always been a lover of Greek Mythology and the 'God of War' franchise plots. When I learned a novel had been written based on the first game I was interested in reading it. The novel followed the plot of the game accurately and I loved how it went into more detail than the game did and really did it justice. I really loved the book.
Andronicus Kok
Aug 16, 2012 Andronicus Kok rated it it was amazing
Finished reading The God Of War storyline. Many would have played the game already. Kratos makes a deal wif Ares but things don't go according to plan instead he is plague by his nightmares & sins. Kratos goes on a journey to seek revenge on those who have deceived him. One of the best video game God of War series. A great read
Danny
Nov 07, 2011 Danny rated it liked it
If you've played the video game you won't be surprised by anything in this. Yes, some parts have changed but it is mostly a gore-fest when the focus is on Kratos.
The main interest is the banter with Athena-Zeus and Ares.

If you like the game you will find it is a decent read kind of like a mindless action movie.
Denis Halac
Apr 11, 2012 Denis Halac rated it liked it
Nothing new here if you have played the game. A good way to burn a few hours seeing as how this is a super easy read. For anyone interested, but hasn't gotten around to playing the game, or has no interest in doing so, then this is simply a story of vengeance geared towards the gods with tons of battles and gore.
  • God of War II
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Starcraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 1
  • Fable: Edge of the World
  • Dead Island
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Writing Fantasy Heroes
  • A Eleita de Kushiel (Kushiel, #3)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • Crysis: Legion
  • A Lâmina na Alma (Tigana, #1)
Matthew Woodring Stover is an American fantasy and science fiction author. He is perhaps best known for his Star Wars novels -- Traitor, Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. He has also published several pieces of original work, such as Heroes Die, which Stover described as 'a piece of violent entertainment that is a meditation on violent entertainment'. ...more
More about Matthew Woodring Stover...

God of War (2 books)
  • God of War II

“I am not the same man you found that day! The monster you've created has returned, to kill you!” 7 likes