Start by marking “God of War” as Want to Read:
God of War

God of War (God of War #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  414 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Offering deeper insights into the critically acclaimed God of War franchise, this novel returns us to the dark world of ancient Greek mythology explored in the heart-pounding action of God of War I, the bestselling video game.

A brutal warrior, Kratos is a slave to the gods of Olympus. Plagued by the nightmares of his past and yearning for freedom, the Ghost of Sparta would
Published May 25th 2010 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about God of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God of War

Tyson
As a huge video game player and fan of the God of War series I was really looking forward to the latest adaption of the game by Matthew Stover. However, after a few chapters in I realized that I was not going to get what I was hoping for.

All of the players are accounted for. We have Zeus, Poseidon, Ares, and Athena as well as a few other gods. We also have the Ghost of Sparta, Kratos, our hero. with all of the Dramatis Personae accounted for this should be one rocking adaptation of God of War. H
Alejandro
Maybe I am one of the few or maybe the only one who read this novel without having played the video game whose is based this novelization. I chose to read it since a good friend is a huge fan of this video game and of the character of Kratos, so when I found out about the novelizations, I thought that it was a good idea to read them. I liked a lot, since it's a fresh take on the Greek mythology and certainly the lead character of Kratos is very different from the usual lead characters that I hav ...more
Lord Nouda
I knew that movie to book adaptations were bad, but games are hardly any better. The author was even so kind so as to include practically every single battle scene and enemy encounter that could have been found in the original game itself. Thank you for making exciting battles insanely boring.

I really wanted to like the book because I'm a fan of novels relating to Ancient Greek-mythology and an author's unique spin of a somewhat old concept into his new world. All the major Gods; Poseidon, Zeus,
David Bernardino
I'm a huge GoW fan, and that's why I picked this book up. The game was insanely fun, and since I'm a huge greek mythology nerd, I was expecting to absolutely love this book.
I couldn't be more wrong.
Reading it was a pain. I can't leave a book unfinished so I had to power through pages of endless, repetitive, over descriptive scenes of Kratos either killing, beheading, impaling or whatever more he could do to all the enemies. The ammount of carnage is way too much for a single book; in a videogame
Mike (the Paladin)
Looks like I may need to establish a new shelf...electronic game tie-in, or maybe just game tie-in.

Anyway this isn't a bad book. I haven't played the game this book is based. That said the game progression is plain in the story. take on a quest, complete the quest, gain a power or item, begin another quest.

It's all there but it's handled very well (you know for a book about a video game). Kratos is sort of a depressing fellow. Understandable I suppose as in the throes of battle rage and blood lu
Javarus Carstarphen
Nice book kratos at the ending coming the new god of war was awesome going through challenges to break his nightmares was pure awesomeness. He had face battles no mere mortal could deafeat. Know he was the new god of war.
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
MON DIEU!!! LE SEUL ET L’UNIQUE!!!!!
Je vais pas vous le cacher, mais j’ai pris 3 ans pour le lire et pour cause. Non pas que le livre ne m’intéressait pas, non loin de là, mais je jouais au jeu du même titre!!! JE SUIS UNE FAN DE KRATOS!!!! <3 . Je ne l’ai jamais caché que je suis fan du jeu GOD OF WAR sorti sur Playstation. J’ai joué et rejoué à toutes les version PS3 (pour les version HD) et PSVITA (pour les version PSP jouable sur ce modèle).

Bref, je ne vais pas trop étaler ma fanittutte m
Jimmy Corvan
This was surprisingly better than I expected. That said, I can see through my own bias and realize that a non-fan of the game series would probably not enjoy this novel. While I did thoroughly enjoy the book, I can not give it more than 3 stars simply because the majority of the book is simply a verbatim recreation of what happens in the game. Most of the time, in fact, it's as if the author just sat next to someone who is playing the game and wrote down what was happening as it happened.

The bes
Dushyant Shetty
First came the game that obsessed millions of fans with its blood and gore and an intense and gripping plot that got players to actually identify with Kratos, a character unlike any other, but a hateful, violent and unrepentently destructive man/demigod/monster you'd normally hate to be. The plot actually required the player to use a great degree of strategy and intelligence in a lot of situations, and included a few mind-bending puzzles. Almost everyone loved it. Then came GoW II and GoW III an ...more
Hypia Sanches
I didn't think it was possible to READ a videogame, but, apparently, it is. I don't know if it was because I knew it's related to the game, but I could totally picture the scenes and the fights and stuff.

Kratos is too "Hulk crushes" for my tastes, but we can see he as a character with personality, not only a cold-blooded warrior.

All the Greek gods act just the way I think they would. It was nice to see them portrayed exactly like I imagine them.

Just ordered book 2.
Richard
I am a big fan of Matthew Stover, so I had high hopes for this. Yes I know it's a video game tie-in novel, but the Infinity Blade novels prove that such books can be excellent in their own right. Unfortunately this is not. It is dire. It's just page after page of a video game protagonist slaughtering unnamed video game monsters. Sometimes there is some dialog with some other characters who are not involved in the slaughter - presumably these are the 'quest setter' characters in the game since th ...more
Dima Yakovenko
Новеллизация популярной игры God of War, эксклюзива PlayStation. В книге рассказана история спартанского война, Кратоса, который служит богам. Написана книга превосходно, язык крайне простой, из-за чего можно довольно быстро прочитать эту историю. Отличные диалоги, описания сражений не вызывающие нареканий. Все в этой книге отлично, да вот только главный герой не вызывает жалости, ему не переживаешь, ведь он, просто моральный урод, не знает ни жалости, ни доблести, и любви, он просто убивает, уб ...more
Bobbi
Apr 14, 2011 Bobbi added it
Shelves: abandoned
I know, based on a video game. But come on, it's Matthew Stover!

Update: giving this one up. So far there has been 5% plot, 95% fighting. The character (I want to say characters, but it feels like the others are just foils) is not only poorly developed, I can't think of a single redeeming quality except for being strong. It literally feels like a video game, and I expect more story even in my video games. When I find myself skipping whole pages of fighting to try to find dialogue or other action,
Damion Leach
I don't agree with most reviews on this book. I too have played every game in the series and have the trophies to show for it. I think the book gives people the true narrative as the game gives you some, but it's focus is more on the big climaxes. I enjoyed the details and truly got into it and felt like I was over Kratos' shoulder seeing the action. I will say some parts in this book are different from the game, but it didn't take away from anything at all. I give this book 4 stars because it w ...more
Raquel Leite
Nunca pensei que o pior livro que lesse este este ano fosse já em Janeiro e muito menos o God Of War 0.0
Felipe Guerrero
La idea de novelizar este juego fue buena, pero a la hora de ejecutarlo siento que puedo haber quedado mejor.

Es difícil adaptar un juego de acción a un libro, pero aún así el libro empieza bastante bien y de pronto cae en picada y es aburridisimo, después mejora, se vuele a tornar aburrido, mejora y acaba.

Se volvió muy aburrido en cuanto comenzó a relatar los enigmas en el templo de Pandora en incluso durante algunas batallas pero a fin de cuentas es un libro más o menos entretenido.
Matt Cash
There was some background intrigue as the Gods of Olympus maneuver and mold Kratos into a man worthy of killing a god. The author mercifully skipped a lot of tedious puzzles and substituted more traps and obstacles more worthy of the written word. His explanation of how Kratos can access the powers given to him (Medusa gaze, Zeus's thunderbolt, etc. ) struck me as a bit cheesy, but it got the job done. I would say this is more for fans of the series.
Fritz
I was really let down by this book. I have been a fan of God of War since its inception, and I was hoping the Novel would be delving into a lot of detailed backstory into the character of Kratos and his struggles. Unfortunately, the book is a lot of Kratos running around with the blades of chaos. That isn't to say it is bad, but...the book is literally just what you have done in the game...written. It adds no real depth and that is unfortunate.
Steven
I played God of War 2 and 3 but didn't take too much notice of the first game so the story was quite fresh to me which is why I enjoyed this book. Had I played the game myself then I'm not sure it would have been as good and even at that, there were some points where I could imagine the game in my head and what buttons were being pressed at that point. Not that original but still a good quick summer read.
Marc Kohlman
I've always been a lover of Greek Mythology and the 'God of War' franchise plots. When I learned a novel had been written based on the first game I was interested in reading it. The novel followed the plot of the game accurately and I loved how it went into more detail than the game did and really did it justice. I really loved the book.
Andronicus Kok
Finished reading The God Of War storyline. Many would have played the game already. Kratos makes a deal wif Ares but things don't go according to plan instead he is plague by his nightmares & sins. Kratos goes on a journey to seek revenge on those who have deceived him. One of the best video game God of War series. A great read
Danny
If you've played the video game you won't be surprised by anything in this. Yes, some parts have changed but it is mostly a gore-fest when the focus is on Kratos.
The main interest is the banter with Athena-Zeus and Ares.

If you like the game you will find it is a decent read kind of like a mindless action movie.
Denis Halac
Nothing new here if you have played the game. A good way to burn a few hours seeing as how this is a super easy read. For anyone interested, but hasn't gotten around to playing the game, or has no interest in doing so, then this is simply a story of vengeance geared towards the gods with tons of battles and gore.
mookie kong
I tried really hard to finish this book, but I couldn't. The book is very repetitive: Kratos fights and causes much gore. Then the gods plot against each other using Kratos as a pawn. Repeat ad nauseum. After half the book like this, I could not take it anymore and had to stop.
John
This book is based about a roman general maned kratos who is search for freedom after being tormented by the god ares.I like this book because it is set in the old days or ages ago.this book is sad and interesting.
Richard Sampson
This is a great adaptation of the first game of the series. It adds a level of depth to the character of Kratos that one only gets a glimpse at in the first game. Well done.
Aishwarya Meow
The fight with Ares was pretty underplayed. It would have been better if this was written in first person. But it was a quick and amusing read. -Big fan of the series
Javarus Lavon
god of war is a very nice book. Teaching that some nightmares may not go away but can be blown. Mind blowing it was a little off of the game it self
Xana
Mais justamente 2,5 estrelas. Apesar de ter muito sangue, tem tb a parte mitológica e as intrigas dos deuses, que tornam uma leitura gira!!
Nick Gono
If you're a fan of the video games than this is basically a decent translation of the first game. That is really all I can say about it.
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Starcraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 1
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Resistance: The Gathering Storm
  • Fable: Edge of the World
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp
  • Halo Wars: Genesis
  • Battlefield 3: The Russian

God of War (2 books)
  • God of War II
The Klingon Gambit Mutiny on the Enterprise The War Of Powers The War Of Powers, Part 2: Istu Awakened Cenotaph Road (Cenotaph Road #1)

“I am not the same man you found that day! The monster you've created has returned, to kill you!” 7 likes