Start by marking “The Sword Bearer (Archives Of Anthropos)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sword Bearer

John White

The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It was John's birthday. He would be thirteen. And what's more, it was on this day that his grandmother would tell him the mystery of his locket . . . And of his parents.But it was not to be. Before he could find out, he was magically transported to the land of Anthropos where he was startled to be hailed as the Sword Bearer, the slayer of the Goblin Prince.Here, in the ima ...more
Published (first published June 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Bearer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Bearer

Aelvana
John Wilson was happy on his way home from school on the day of his 13th birthday, the day his grandmother has promised to tell him about his parents. But his wonderful day collapses when he trips over the body of his grandmother as he enters their house. She's dead, and now he'll never know. He's too much in shock to feel much grief just yet. Then a worse piece of news comes the next morning: Nicholas Slapfoot, the town's frightening scrap man, a man who almost killed John on his last birthday, ...more
Molly
Looking back, I know this series wasn't very good. In fact, it was probably awful. But as a kid, I couldn't tell - or didn't care - that it was a poor Lewis/Tolkien/everyone else hack. I LOVED this series.
Rowan
I found this book impossible to read without being reminded in my inner sense by my own nostaglic feelings for Narnia which I loved so so much.
This is the story John Wilson who after a traumatic event and in life threatening circumstances finds himself in another world inhabited by Matmon, dwarf like creatures and the purpose of fulfilling a prohency made about him centuries ago.
My main point of comparision to the Chronicles of Narnia would for the audience it is written. This is very much
Jemma
Mar 21, 2015 Jemma rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jemma by: Kathy
This is a review of the entire series
A great series of books, a lot like Narnia, children from our world go into another and meet Jesus/Aslan/Gaal. The characters were interesting and so was the plot. The last book was my favorite.
Random note: I remember imagining the citizens of this land as insects when I was younger.
Dianna
Apr 10, 2014 Dianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charmaine Stubblefield
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed reading this! I picked up and read "The Iron Scepter" (number 4 in this series I think?) and decided to give the rest of the books a try. John White spins an encouraging tale that smacks of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles quite a bit, but remains different enough to be entertaining and fun to read. We can all be inspired by John and his newly found friends. :0)
Nicole
This book did remind me a lot of a Chronicle of Narnia book. Even though I had not read the first two books in the series I had no problem understanding what was going on.
Zarakoda
I really enjoyed this first book in the Archives of Anthropos. However, the last five I did not much care for. While I see how John White wanted to incorporate Biblical principles and stories into his fantasy novels, it is a bit over-done, as is his use of fantasy creatures. Not so in the first book, though. This one actually is a lot of fun to read.
Jennifer Zartman
The Archives of Anthropos are some of my favorite books for young people. Our family enjoyed all of them, and The Sword Bearer is my personal favorite. I love the character of Mab--his patience, his persistence, and his steadfastness when faced with temptation all inspire me and encourage me.
Bradley
Great fantasy set of books for pre-teens and teens. Comparable to the Narnia series. The only one I didn't like as well was the last one. All are action packed as the kids in the story become transformed; their flaws changed through the tough circumstances they go through.
Jo
Not bad, although I agree with others who have mentioned that the story seemed a bit stretched to fit with a Christian agenda (not that I don't think it's a very worthy agenda). It didn't sabotage the book completely, however, and I enjoyed it.
Nick
It was after reading this book in high school, that I realized I could write stories that would be better than this. Even then, I felt it was a cheap, thin knock off of Tolkien. I never read another book in the series.
Debdanz
i need a shelve labeled "gave up on bc life is too short to stick it out." this would be on it; labeled a "narnia readalike" maybe i came to this book too late in life. but yuck!
Karen Fallot
I believe this is a Christian allegorical series as God is referenced as "the Changer". Recommended for a mature tween or teen-adult.
Wendy Pimm
My kids loved it. We read it as a bed time book and they love this series. We started with the Tower.
Gonna read them all.
Cathrine Bonham
This is the first in a very good series of books. Very reminisent of Narnia but with a much more obviouse biblical message.
Bonnijean Marley
My dd checked this out of the school library. Some very exciting parts. A few parts did lag, but overall a good read.
Six-Fingered Nigel
Really enjoyed it. Started off a little slowly but after a few chapters picked up.
Elle
Good book. A little hard for me to understand at times as I was 11 when I read it.
Gwen Burrow
I read this before I knew what bad writing was. I learned quickly.
Stephanie Crockett
Perfectly amazing! Closely resembles Narnia :)
Paul Piche
Paul Piche marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Kendra
Kendra added it
May 26, 2015
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jacel Jones
Jacel Jones marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Arden Meyer
Arden Meyer marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)
  • The Lion Vrie
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)
  • The Restorer's Son (The Sword of Lyric #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • A Knight of the White Cross
  • 絶対平和大作戦 1 (Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen, #1)
  • Flight of the Fugitives: Gladys Aylward