Start by marking “Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life” as Want to Read:
Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life

Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Alister E. McGrath is one of the world's leading theologians, with a doctorate in the sciences. Richard Dawkins is one of the bestselling popular science writers, with outspoken and controversial views on religion. This fascinating and provoking work is the first book-length response to Dawkins' ideas, and offers an ideal introduction to the topical issues of science and r ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dawkins' God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawkins' God

Timothy Bertolet
This book is a helpful response to much of Dawkins' earlier work before his massively popular 'The God Delusion'. This book was originally published before 'The God Delusion' came out and does not interact with it. However, one will find it a beneficial critique of Dawkins as a whole.

First, McGrath is both a scientist and a theologian. He is an expert on the history of idea and the history of both theological and scientific development. He respects Dawkins as a scientist where Dawkins makes rea
Note: This review was written a long time ago which was when I read the book. It may not totally reflect my modern opinions, which have changed drastically since 2007 (in the realm of politics at least).

Dawkins' God: A Critical Look

This essay is a critical look at the ideas of Alister McGrath, who argues against some of Richard Dawkins' ideas. I will deal with the arguments that he uses against Dawkins.

Chapter Two: The Blind Watchmaker

McGrath portrays Dawkins' ideas as being:

--Darwinism is neca
Jay Batson
Richard Dawkins is a compelling author with serious chops. Any book claiming to take on Dawkins must be similarly compelling & from an author with similar chops. Alister McGrath has written, and is, one.

McGrath adopts the right approach here, IMO. He does three things skillfully:
+ Accepts science. By endorsing the core of evolution and showing his excellent scientific depth in other domains, McGrath creates credibility for himself and avoids dismissal of his rebuttal.
+ Puts Dawkins in contex
David Bird
One of the challenges that I find in reading the works of Richard Dawkins critically is that so much seems intuitively right to me. So for me this book was an attempt to see the weaknesses perceived by others.

I think McGrath is fair in some of his points, especially a broad division of the Dawkins corpus into more empirical, and more rhetorical piles, with greater merit in the former. But I think fairness to Dawkins requires recognition that McGrath's highly educated strain of Christianity is b
This was a fantastic book! Alister McGrath is a good writer and enjoyable to read. In this book he dissects and rips apart Richard Dawkins piece by piece. It's a fair treatment of the data and arguments and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the relationship between science and faith.
A part of science vs religion controversy. It critizes the anti religion school led by Dawkins and its idea of evolution biologically (dna) and spiritually (meme). Not so very convincing, as expected. And rather boring.
James Ridgers
It's difficult to for me to accept any theological positioning on our realities when one is an agnostic atheist who used to be a Christian. I read this book because I believe in giving myself a balanced input of perspectives when it comes to matters of existence, purpose, meanings of life, etc. But, I guess, because of the difficulty I have in accepting theological positioning, I found it hard to not say "this is just ridiculous".

I will grant that McGrath made a solid effort to be scientific in
Anthony Faber
I basically agree with the author that Dawkins goes beyond the evidence, but am not sure what he thinks we're supposed to use to decide things outside of evidence. He, like Dawkins, is too polemical and too interested in scoring points, rather than getting down to brass tacks and figuring out just what we know. It's well worth your time if you're interested in this sort of stuff, though.
It's short, but it probably would have benefited from fleshing some things out a bit more.
A-Mac is among my favorite authors. The Blind Watchmaker is one of my favorite books. So I was excited to see McGrath engage Dawkins on the book. Unfortunately, other than on the question of "Does evolution eliminate God?" there wasn't much of an engagement. McGrath accepts most of the science in Blind Watchmaker (as do I).

McGrath does pick apart The Selfish Gene quite rigorously. Unfortunately, I did not read The Selfish Gene, because I thought "Memes" are unscientific woo-woo. The chapter-leng
R.P. Bosman
Alister McGrath gives with this book a good inside into Darwinism and the thinking of Dawkins. McGrath is filleting the thinking from Dawkins. The book is easy to read and shows that there is no ‘war’ between sciences and believe. McGrath shows us that meems are not scientific at all and that cultural evolution does need the faith and believe like believers have in a God.

For everybody who like the debate about science, evolution, faith etc. the little book from Alister McGrath is a must to read.
Terrol Williams
Gets pretty technical in places, but fascinating not just for McGrath's dismantling of Dawkins' weaker assumptions, but for the perspectives gained on science and religion, both now and in the past. It's been interesting to read this at the same time as Stephen Greenblatt's The Swerve, which unfortunately falls into some of the same false assumptions and decontextualizations as some of Dawkins' work.
It took me a really long time to finish this book. That's never a good sign that I'm enjoying a book. McGrath spends a lot of time rehashing different points in an attempt to debunk Richard Dawkins meme theory. Dawkins used that theory to "prove" there was no God.

Really, really dry stuff.

Neither Dawkins nor McGrath has changed my opinion on the subject of the existence of a supreme being. I think it's really an individual thought process and, unless you're wavering, outside influences aren't goi
Billy Young
McGrath does a great job of describing the belief system of Charles Darwin and how Richard Dawkins developed his evolution based on Darwinian thought. McGrath then goes through evolution with a fine-tooth comb from a Biblical worldview. Excellent read for those interested in how Christians can counter the theory of evolution.
Trevor Lloyd
Good and helpful for me to understand the debate over Dawkins' ideas and challenges to faith. But got a little too knotty for me with some of the science! Not my strength.

Sorry this is not a great book. lets stop wasting time on this issue and get back to the important stuff.
Leo Africanus
A dry yet well-reasoned demolition of the flimsy logic of Dawkins' passionately believed world view.
Serge Boucher
Somewhat long-winded, but interesting, especially if you've read Dawkins' recent books.
McGrath is so right. New atheism's foundations are shown to be built on sand.
Matthew Giles
A few good quotes. Wholly unconvincing.
Abel marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Patrick marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Lucia Hayal
Lucia Hayal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Josue Moreno Vázquez
Josue Moreno Vázquez marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • Belief in God in an Age of Science
  • God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?
  • Beyond the Bounds: Open Theism and the Undermining of Biblical Christianity
  • God's Mechanics: How Scientists and Engineers Make Sense of Religion
  • The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism
  • Saving Darwin: How to Be a Christian and Believe in Evolution
  • God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer
  • The End of Christianity: Finding a Good God in an Evil World
  • Pollution & the Death of Man
  • Socrates in the City: Conversations on "Life, God, and Other Small Topics"
  • The Soul of Science
  • The Myth of Religious Violence: Secular Ideology and the Roots of Modern Conflict
  • Charismatic Chaos
  • Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction
  • Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies
  • The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief
Alister Edgar McGrath is a Northern Irish theologian, priest, intellectual historian, scientist, and Christian apologist. He currently holds the Andreas Idreos Professorship in Science and Religion in the Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Oxford, and is Professor of Divinity at Gresham College. He was previously Professor of Theology, Ministry, and Education at King's College L ...more
More about Alister McGrath...
C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet Christian Theology: An Introduction The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture Christianity's Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution: A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First