Start by marking “Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century” as Want to Read:
Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century

Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  6 reviews
One of the most admired religious thinkers of our time issues a call for world Jewry to reject the self-fulfilling image of “a people alone in the world, surrounded by enemies” and to reclaim Judaism’s original sense of purpose: as a partner with God and with those of other faiths in the never-ending struggle for freedom and social justice for all.

We are in danger, says R
Published April 20th 2010 by Schocken (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Future Tense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Future Tense

Linda Abraham
I rarely read books twice, but i am reading this one for a second time. There is such depth to it and it is so beautifully written. Elegant and eloquent.

I love how Rabbi Sachs integrates the universal and particular elements of Torah, how he lays out an approach requiring both adherence to Torah and involvement in society. He sets a high standard.

I recommend this book to anyone seeking a sophisticated, but demanding, perspective on Torah in our complex world.
The specifics of Rabbi Sacks's presentation of Judaism as a particularist religion of hope and complexity is, by itself, marvelous. But it is Sacks himself that I'm enamored of most; he is living proof that an orthodox Rabbi can be an open minded, sophisticated thinker. Sacks knows his literature, philosophy, science, and Torah and sees them complimenting each other rather than competing for truth.
Jack Oughton
As a secular chap who's somewhat ignorant about Judaism, I feel like I learnt a lot about the issues in modern Judaism and what it is like to be a Jew today. I'd recommend it to fellow secular people who've not had much exposure to the faith but would like to learn more.
This book clearly explained modern questions for Jews to ask themselves and others about religion, politics and identify in the 21st century. I sought a book on this topic and found it with Future Tense, very good read.
Joshua Stein
Sacks is an incredible writer and his analysis of the form of contemporary rabbinic Judaism is really interesting. My major misgiving is his tendency to generalize and to speak in terms that are not clearly defined.

For those looking for an interesting, accessible approach to understanding rabbinic Judaism, Sacks is an amazing writer and presents wonderful ideas, it's well worth the read. The problem is that it's not really rigorous in its researching, so those with substantial backgrounds might
I liked his premise, but it could have been said in a short essay...Jews have to stop living in the past and being victims --- and several good thoughts on Jewish identity and anti-semitism. Hate to say this, but really, only worth skimming, in my opinion.
Sweet_to0th marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Chanel marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jenna added it
Sep 16, 2015
Tehila marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Mary Shelton
Mary Shelton marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Bob Dijk
Bob Dijk marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Amy Tinkle
Amy Tinkle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Sieb Buiten
Sieb Buiten is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Matthew Stone
Matthew Stone marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jessica Young
Jessica Young marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Kristin  Byers
Kristin Byers marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Travis marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jonathan Henry Sacks, Baron Sacks, Kt is the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth. His Hebrew name is Yaakov Zvi.

As the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the UK, he is the Chief Rabbi of the mainstream British orthodox synagogues, but not the religious authority for the Federation of Synagogues or the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congre
More about Jonathan Sacks...
The Dignity of Difference: How to Avoid the Clash of Civilizations To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility The Great Partnership: God, Science and the Search for Meaning A Letter in the Scroll: Understanding Our Jewish Identity and Exploring the Legacy of the World's Oldest Religion Covenant & Conversation: A Weekly Reading of the Jewish Bible, Genesis: The Book of Beginnings