Start by marking “As the Twig Is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
As the Twig Is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #1)

As the Twig Is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Someone is killing women in the Chelsea district of Manhattan - but, who? The only clues: a signature heart carved into each victim's breast (inside, the initials "J.C." and those of the deceased); copies of the New Testament (with underlined passages referring to infidelity); and fingerprints of a juvenile arrested in the 1960s. On the case is Matt Davis, a plodding but e ...more
Published January 2nd 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about As the Twig Is Bent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Twig Is Bent

D.B. Pacini
06-09-09:

Before May 26, 2009 I had never heard of author Joe Perrone, Jr. or of his novel, AS THE TWIG IS BENT. On that morning, I checked the AMAZON customer review listings for my novel, and Perrone had posted a supportive review. I secured his E-mail address and sent him an E-mail thanking him. One E-mail led to another, and I decided to order AS THE TWIG IS BENT. I just finished reading it.

I’ve read countless murder/crime mysteries. AS THE TWIG IS BENT is a desperately intense who-done-it c
LK Gardner-Griffie

For as long as I can remember, I have loved reading mysteries. The idea of discerning clues as I read the story and trying to come up with the answer before the detective does has always given mysteries a little extra spice for me. I'll admit I read more cozies, having cut my teeth on Agatha Christie, than police procedurals, but I enjoy a good story with a lot of plot twists.

As The Twig is Bent opens with George Spiros, an aging manufacturer of wrought-iron furniture, on the way home after a s

Julia Dudek
If you like suspense, grab a copy of As the Twig is Bent, pull up a seat, and prepare to be on the edge of it from page one of Joe Perrone Jr.'s unrelenting thrill-ride! Skipping the foreplay, Perrone wastes no time introducing the reader to the merciless serial killer who's terrorizing the neighborhood of Chelsea, and preying on unsuspecting victims from Internet chat rooms. Firmly holding us captive with the intense opening scene, the author then weaves innumerable twists and turns into the pl ...more
Collette Scott
Having read books two and three in theseries first, I must say that this one really knocked my socks off. This was such a realistic portrait into the investigation of a serial killer that I was both shocked and repulsed while I was eagerly turning the pages to find out what would happen next. In this first Matt Davis mystery, you are introduced to Matt, a NYC detective. He's well-respected and admired, and he's just one step above burnout. He has a great partner, a decent boss, and last but not ...more
Sheila
A police mystery with likeable characters, a working marriage, some decent detective work and some scary crimes, Joe Perrone Jr’s As the Twig is Bent is a fine beginning to a new series. The reader is invited deeply into killer’s and victims’ heads (and beds) as a gruesome crime spree rocks New York’s tenth precinct. Detective Matt Davis juggles job and home life, sometimes losing track of the one or the other. His friend goes out with too many women. The woman newly added to his team has gone o ...more
Sian
This was an easy thriller read. However, the language in the cyber world was a little rough - I blushed several times reading it on the my crj200. It seems if you are going to read something risque, you might want a bigger plane. It was a bookclub pick so I didn't realize it would be vulgar. I thought the flow was nice and really liked Matt, the main character. This book is not appropriate for children or adults who don't appreciate graphic details of both sex and violence.
Eileen T Johnson
This is one of my favorites. The writing is smooth and flowing, the characters interesting. It had me hating to put it down. Great author that we will be hearing a lot of good things about.
Nancy Hammons
Well, I don't care what anyone else says...That Was a Great Book!!! If you read the newspapers or watch the new these things really do happen. Yes, the rape and beating was pretty graphic, but it was central to the story. I loved the way the author told the backstory of Matt and Chris as partners. There was near the end me yelling "Don't go in there alone!"

I kind of saw the killer, but then maybe it wasn't him, but yeah it was. I'm on board for the rest of the Matt Davis Mystery stories. These a
Annette Gisby
Beth
As the twig is bent is very like a written copy of the television show, Law & Order: SVU. Even though the suspense of who-done-it was not very well played, I did find the plot interesting but not necessarily compelling. I wasn't gripped by any cliff-hangers and pretty much knew who the suspect was going to be right from the beginning. That being said, the story still held my attention until the end. Intrigued by how they were going to figure out who the perp was, I continued to read. However ...more
Liz Maddox
Note to murder-mystery/crime writers: if you don't publish quickly, anything involving technology is dated. The "graphic sex and violence" is so tame, I know I've seen worse on a rerun of Law and Order. The big lesson in this novel is how dangerous Internet chat rooms can be. Wait until this author learns about MySpace!
chelepissbcglobal.net
Absolutely, positively fantastic.

This was one of the best books I've ever read. Once I started I couldn't put it down. It was both scary and disturbing to so graphically realize what goes on in internet chat rooms. This is a definite ten star read.
Black Butterfly
Feb 20, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mystery-romance
I LIKED THE STORY LINE BUT IT WAS A LITTLE REPETATIVE IN SPOTS. MATT & HIS CREW ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO BUT IT SEEMS TO TAKE FOREVER FOR THEM TO SEE THE OBVIOUS CLUES. I WAS THINKING THE ANSWERS ARE RIGHT THERE, WHY CAN'T ANY OF YOU SEE THEM. THE ROMANCE IS VERY MILD AND NOT VERY DESCRIPTIVE. THE BOOK WASN'T A BAD READ, EXCEPT THE REPEATING OF CERTAIN THINGS DID GET ON MY NERVES. ;>
Sally Pearce
This was a graphic (both sex and violence) examination of the problems that can occur on the internet in "chat rooms" that pander to baser instincts. It wasn't especially well written and the Kindle version had some editing and formatting problems, but it was interesting. The basic story was good and well thought out, although I had it figured out early in the book.

I liked it well enough to read the second in the series.
L.F. Falconer
An entertaining read. I was hooked from the start. The dialogue was realistic, as was the plot, even if some of the characters were a little off, but as a mystery/thriller, it kept me going all the way through, and had me second-guessing my own conclusions now and then.
Roxanne
I read this book a while ago. I do remember being captivated though. Interesting mix of characters and a story line that kept me reading. I would read another book by this author.
Ann
If you have to self-publish, you should take that as a hint.
Mary E. Kapustka
Interesting plot but light reading for a crime novel.
Kathy
First one by this author for me. It was ok
Kelly Salmon
A little predictable....
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Shannon Kein
Shannon Kein marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Joseph Ares-Berziga
Joseph Ares-Berziga is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Matt Davis Mysteries (4 books)
  • Opening Day: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #2)
  • Twice Bitten: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #3)
  • Broken Promises: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #4)
Opening Day: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #2) Twice Bitten: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #3) Escaping Innocence: A Story of Awakening Broken Promises: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #4) A "Real" Man's Guide To Divorce: ("First, You Bend Over And...")