Start by marking “Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)” as Want to Read:
Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)

Firestorm (Weather Warden #5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,518 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Putting aside the personal chaos that has plagued her, rogue Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin must rally the remnants of the Weather Warden corps against a double threat-the Djinn who have broken free from Warden control, and a cranky Mother Earth who's about to unleash her full fury against the entire world.
Published September 5th 2006 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Firestorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firestorm

Brownbetty
One of the things I'm noticing about this series is that the author does a really good job of making sure that after her heroine defeats something apocalyptically big, there's still something left to pose a credible threat. Sometimes she does it by depowering Jo, and sometimes she does it by coming up with a bigger apocalypse for next time, and so far it hasn't gotten annoying.

One thing I did find irritating: throughout the series, it is hinted, implied, and sometimes outright said that Lewis is
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
After seeing Joanne Baldwin, kickass weather warden being bruised, beaten, powerless, and everything else thrown in her way, it was great to see her finally manifesting her powers here and using them to save herself and others.

Let's face it, she's been dragged through the ditches and back in the series so far, and we're all getting a little tired of that. But the stakes are now higher, with her adult, half-djinn daughter around and her sister under hostage by a madman.

She can no longer rely on
Kogiopsis
(this review is a little scatterbrained but honestly, no one who's not 5 books into the series was going to understand it anyway, so I'm not gonna sweat it.)

My favorite junky UF series continues to be junky, full of lovingly described fast cars, and a favorite.

Yet again, Rachel Caine has upped the ante by taking away one of Joanne's supports. Last book she lost her own powers, and largely her access to David's; this book she's got her own abilities back in hand, but the Djinn - including a resur
Susana
Honestly i don't know what else to say about this series...
Strong female character....check!
A swoon worthy hero/Djinn guy.....check!
Non stop action with high stake risks.....check!
Cars to die for...well at least in Joanne's perspective...check!
Strong family bonds _LOL _ yes, definitely!!
Although i have to say that i was kind of expecting a baby Djinn. That would have been cute, but very time consuming...oh, well, maybe next time...
I could clarify about what i'm babbling about, but then, where wo
Kt
Aug 09, 2010 Kt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, hardcopy
After narrowly escaping the event of the last book, Joanne has a whole new challenge, maybe the biggest one yet, motherhood. When Johnathan sacrificed himself for David to be restored as a djinn, he also gave life to Joanne's djinn daughter, Imara. She never really believed Imara could possibly be able to be born without David's death, and she really did not expect her to be born as a six foot tall amazonian goddess. Imara looks just like Joanne, just made "exotic." Now that all the normal djinn ...more
Wesley
Okay I can’t complain to much as this entire series has been very enjoyable. This installment though started off a bit cheesy, picked up in the middle to then just left a non-typical ultra-cliffhanger. Unnecessary, I mean in the last few pages of the entire book you forget what you’ve read. Not because it’s so enthralling but because there wasn’t enough as a whole. I don’t think the author is big on filler, seems like regardless of the book type she really tries to put out a good book. I commen ...more
Cathy
It's another 3.75 star book for me. It was a bit frantic, the stuff with Eamon was all unnecessary, the parts with Imara never really rang true, but it was still very entertaining. And what I have to give the author the most credit for is having a really strong plan for the series, it isn't one of those series where the author had a good idea for the first few books but just sort of wings it after that. It reminds me of Butcher's Dresden in that way (yes, not to his level), things keep coming to ...more
Angela Oliver
Another fast-paced whirlwind of explosive energy and excitement, this time with a little apocalypse thrown in to the mix. The weather has gone crazy as the Earth Mother stirs in her sleep and Joanne Baldwin, rogue Warden tries to find ways to bring it to a close, one that preferably doesn't involve the death of the entire human race. Lots of road trips, and one very unnerving plane flight, this is a book for literary adrenalin junkies. I have cottoned on to Rachael Caine's writing style now - sh ...more
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joy
It really is necessary to read these in order. Each one is more a segment of a very long book rather than a story with a conclusion. I was pleased with the personification of the Oracles that communicate with the sentient being we call earth, The Mother. The Oracles are 3 not the usual 4 in regards to elements; Earth, Fire and Weather, nice Goddess concept of 3s.
Traci
Jan 30, 2016 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanne Baldwin is back, and she's got even bigger problems than she's had in the previous four entries in the Weather Warden series. This time around it's Mother Earth herself that she's fighting; Mother is starting to wake from a long, deep sleep and she is not happy. Humans have been wreaking havoc and like any long-suffering parent, she's had it. It's time for some much-deserved punishment. Only thing is, that punishment pretty much means the end of the human race.

Not to mention that the work
Taylor Mortsolf
I thought this book was okay, I definitely did not like the fact that at the end she didn't know who David was or even who herself is, but I do hope that she will remember David and have her memories of her undying love for him. I hope that this series spent them into one where it leaves you mad at how the author leaves things. I really do love Jo and David together since the very first book!
Deyara
Jan 19, 2012 Deyara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favourite book of the series. Quite fast-paced, theres a lot going on (it is an apocalypse after all!) and Jo is running around from crisis to crisis trying to save the world. Loved Imara, she is such an interesting character. Liked the Mother Earth aspects, though I do wonder about whats so special about Joanne that Mother Earth will listen to her, and take her advice!
Karen
Nov 18, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get through this book and I'm not sure why. It has a lot of action and I still love the characters - although I'm not sure of my feelings for Imara, a grown daughter just jumping into things felt odd (which it probably should). The ending is once again not expected, so I'm looking forward to the next book to see how things progress.
Robin
Jul 25, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2012
After the death of Jonathan, Joanne's lover David has taken over leadership of the Djinn. He told Joanne that the agreement between the Weather Wardens and the Djinn is now broken. They will no longer be slaves to the Wardens. David also warned her that Mother Nature is waking up...and she is not happy. Joanne frantically races to New York to warn the Wardens about the impending apocalypse.

I thought this book was an uneven addition to the series. It started out just where the last book ended. Bu
Ruth
Jun 07, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
c2006: FWFB: apocalypse, uprising, disasters, triangle, agreement. There are probably many weather related puns that could be used to describe this book. It has to be read in order to keep up with the series but could probably be summarised in about 3 sentences. I am not rushing to get the next one as the various unending disasters and losses are now getting a little tiring. If I come across the next one, I'll read it though. Difficult to recommend but it is certainly not the one to start with i ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 29, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things don't get any easier for Joanne in this fifth book in the series. There is now a full-scale war going on between the wardens and the djinn; the djinn themselves are split into two camps; Joanne's sister is still under the thrall of an evil man who wants his own djinn; wardens are dying in droves and, if that wasn't enough, it could be the end of the world.

This is probably the harshest and grittiest of the series so far. People die; lots of them, including one very close to Joanne. Joanne
Theresa
Aug 04, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Earth Mother crisis continues and again Joanne is in the middle of it.

For some reason she’s the key to everything. Is it because she’s such a nice person? Or is it her ‘destiny’? Her powers were never that special before (though they are now). But that’s due to all the stuff that’s being happening to her: becoming Djinn and gaining power from others, etc.

Everyone either loves or hates her. They’re all out to help or kill her. David, the #2 most powerful Djinn fell in love with her. Lewi
Nathan Burgoine
Joanne is back! Things haven't gone well for Jo in a while - her sister is in the hands of a psycho who is blackmailing Joanne to deliver a genie to him, which would almost be a problem with a solution had not all the genies gone berserk and started killing their warden masters. With the wardens - people who can manipulate the elements and try to keep humanity alive against a sleeping Mother Nature who thinks we're wrecking the joint - down in number, things are going from bad to worse, and to a ...more
Carie
Apr 09, 2015 Carie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At least 4.5 – I think this is the best book of the series so far! Intense, nail-biting, scary, unpredictable, romantic and really funny. I love Joanne!! I was SO happy to see her being powerful and kick-butt again, as well as sassy, hilarious, and always trying to help everybody. Thrilled to see her behind the wheel of a hot car and always remembering her hair and fashion in the midst of catastrophe and apocalypse ;) I also love David, Lewis, Imara, Cherise, and Rahel. And the danger and threat ...more
Hasini (Ink On Paper)
OMG! I can't believe Caine ended this with that cliffhanger! Now I'm just dying to move on to the next book!!!

Like the rest of the series, this book was pretty good! I think readers felt more in tune with Jo in this book because she was going through such a difficult time and obviously, I totally sympathised with her situation! Like her, all I could think about was "when is this gonna end?"

I liked how other Wardens and Djinn were more involved in this book! I'm happy that Lewis and David were
Rachel Simson
Review: Firestorm (Weather Warden #5)
Title: Firestorm (Weather Warden #5)
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Adult
Where Acquired: Christmas Present From My Great Uncle And His Family
Buy at Amazon Here
- Best Book Price: 4.78 Kindle Price: 4.68 (as of when posted)

UK Cover:
6419540
A Cover From Elsewhere (French):
Goodreads Description:
Krys

I was all excited to pick up Firestorm by Rachel Caine. So very excited. My reading of it, though, is rather lacking in the experience I wanted. It was utterly a fine read and that was the problem. It was only fine and I wanted it to be brilliant.

The Weather Warden series has continued to wow and surprise me. Even if upon initial reads my opinion is minor my esteem grows with examination. These books build, frankly. They grow in the reader's mind. They gain strength.

This one, however, was the f
Yolanda Sfetsos
Dec 31, 2010 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well, I just finished reading book 5 in the Weather Warden series... and wow, what a wild ride!

Jo's thrown into one huge mess after the other, again! The bad things just don't stop coming, the impending doom chases her across the country. And I'm not just talking about the serious weather issues, or the crazy Djinn that just keeps popping up. Hell, I'm not even talking about the huge fire! How about Mother Nature waking up and deciding she's pissed off with the way humans have mishandled the wor
SATIN SUE
Sep 29, 2012 SATIN SUE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well again in this book we meet Joanne Baldwin. out on a mission to warn her fellow wardens of the impending Apocalypse. The Djinn have be set free of an old agreement and are set on getting there own back for the years of slavery they had to contend with.

With the Djinn and Wardens at war it put alot of Wardens and normal Humans at risk and some end up dying because they get the in way of the cross fire.

Joanne has a lot to deal with and she is all so struggling with things that are going on in
Julie H.
Nov 28, 2011 Julie H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said it before and I'll say (type) it again here, Rachel Caine is one of the most courageous writers out there. She is utterly fearless when it comes to wiping the floor with her protagonist, Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin.

In book #5 of the Weather Warden series, not only have the Djinn gone rogue, so to speak, but the Mother (as in Mother Nature) is awakening. And boy is she pissed. Good luck to Jo and the other Wardens who must deal with the host of out-of-control fires, storms, earthquake
Lori
Jan 22, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Joanne Baldwin is at it again, and this time the stakes are even higher. With the Earth itself waking up and getting a bit miffed about what humanity has been up to for the last few thousand years, Jo becomes embroiled in a race against time to avert an apocalypse while putting out fires (literally and figuratively) as best she can along the way.

My head is spinning a bit with so much packed into these pages. All the books in this series have been fast-paced page turners, but this one really push
Nisareen
Mar 15, 2013 Nisareen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Alert! At the end of Windfall, a weary disheartened Jonathon sacrificed his life to restore David from an Ifrit to a Djinn. His death also gives life to Joanne’s unborn Djinn daughter, Imara. David, now the new leader of the Djinn notifies Joanne that the agreement between the Weather Wardens and the Djinn is now broken and that they will no longer be slaves to the Wardens. He warns that Mother Earth is waking up and she is not happy at the way humans have abused the earth. Joanne ends u ...more
Gwyn
Aug 22, 2011 Gwyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I've always struggled with the Weather Warden series. The worldbuilding seemed curiously one-sided, I never liked Joanne, and the plots just raised my blood pressure. The only reason I read this far was because I wanted more David. But really, David hardly ever appears in the books. In fact, I have to wonder how he and Jo fell so deeply in love, since they apparently hardly ever see each other.

Firestorm was just the straw that broke my back. In the beginning of the book, Jo is one of the last re
Tara Day
Actual rating 3.5

I seriously miss the flashbacks. I thought it brought so much to Joanne's character. And it made me like her a lot more. Not that she's a bad person, but I thought she was kind of selfish in this one. Desperate, yes. Selfish, even more so. She always talks about how she wants to risk everything to save other people because it's her duty to both herself and as a Warden, but she never acts like she cares about how her actions affect the ones closest to her, like David and Lewis an
SOS: Serious Over...: October Buddy Read - Firestorm by Rachel Caine 42 57 Nov 02, 2012 03:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9780451461049 2 130 Oct 12, 2011 06:46PM
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Burning Bridges (Retrievers, #4)
  • House of Cards (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #2)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)

Weather Warden (10 books)
  • Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)
  • Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Windfall (Weather Warden, #4)
  • Thin Air (Weather Warden, #6)
  • Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)
  • Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)
  • Total Eclipse (Weather Warden, #9)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)

“You're dead," I repeated. "So why are you in my dream?"
He raised the bill of his olive drab ball cap with one finger. " Good question. Morbid, isn't it?"
"What?"
"Dreaming about dead peolpe. Creepy. You ever see a therapist about that?"
"I'm not -" Even in dreams, I couldn't win an argument. Even when he was dead.”
24 likes
“I didn't bring you here," he said. "You think you're Miss Special Destiny of the year?"
"No," I shot back, furious. "And I don't damn well want to be - whatever the hell you are. But sometimes there isn't a choice. Right?"
"Careful. You might accidentally make some sense. Ruin your reputation."
"You are infuriating!"
"Yep," he agreed. "It's been said.”
19 likes