Start by marking “The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)

The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  2,484 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Raised by smart, language-using wolves, far from humans, then brought back to the court of Hawk Haven, young Firekeeper had to learn to cope with human society. Fortunately, for one raised amidst intelligent pack animals, the intrigues of humans are neither complex nor wholly unfamiliar.

Now Melina Shield, the beautiful, unscrupulous, and thoroughly discredited sorceress wh
Published April 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 2003)

Jag
Mar 17, 2008 Jag rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Shelves: fantasy
I love this series, but DoD is far too similar to the previous book. When you read it right after Wolf's Head, Wolf's heart a lot of the situtations are just far too similar. Though it's not a bad book, I'd suggest waiting a month or so before reading it if you've just read the previous book.
Lindsey Duncan
Mar 10, 2011 Lindsey Duncan rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-fantasy
The fact that this was a very long read has nothing to do with the quality of the book, because as with the first two volumes, this is a solid, engaging fantasy. Lindskold's world is not an unusual one, although New Kelvinese society becomes more intriguing on further inspection and the Royal Beasts continue to provide interesting wrinkles and an evolving multi-book conflict. Rather, the pleasure is in the characters and their adventures.

The book begins with one plot and continues with another (
Lise
Aug 22, 2013 Lise rated it really liked it
"The Dragon of Despair" is about messed up families, people who get a kick out of manipulating others, the struggle of a people to be recognized as a nation, divided loyalties and about Firekeeper trying to learn patience.

In terms of messed up families we are talking about poor little Citrine and her mother Melina. When Citrine got her finger cut off it did something to her head. It wasn’t the fact of her finger alone but the finger added to her mother’s seeming abandonment. Melina must be a pri
Carol
May 13, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This book is the third in a series of fantasy novels. The books are connected, but the plots are self-contained (i.e., this is not one continuous story spread out over several books). Firekeeper, one of the two principal protagonists, is a feral child raised by wolves and recently reintroduced into human society. The other main character, Derian Carter, is Firekeeper's first and best friends in the human world. The plot is, at its root, fairly routine fantasy: a group of adventurous types must g ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
At this point, I am somewhat regretting having picked up free copies of the first five books in this series. Having done so, I feel compelled to read them all. Unfortunately, I am not any more enthused by this series than I was at the beginning, perhaps less so. For whatever reason, the characters and plots have never particularly interested in me.

My complaints here are similar to my complaints for the two previous books in the series. First of all, for an epic fantasy series, there is remarkabl
Taylor Alcantar
Jan 15, 2013 Taylor Alcantar rated it liked it
I really like this book series and plan on finishing it but this book was a test to my patience. Everything happened at a snails pace and left with, of course, so many cliffhangers.

Firekeeper returns to her wolf family who are angered by a new group of humans encroaching on their territory. Firekeeper goes to the king who offers a trade, he will have the humans removed if she goes back to New Kelvin to help Citrine confront her mother, the only way they believe she will be able to move on from
Lori
Mar 13, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, series, fiction
A great addition to a new series with an fantasy world where some animals are more than they seem. Some of the animals, in particular a pack of wolves, saved a baby from a burning village and with help from an unidentified source, inducted her into their pack. Now humans have come in search of the village and its inhabitants, which leads the protagonist to leave behind her forest home to learn the strange language and customs of these two-leggers.

Driven by politics almost exclusively, this dryn
Eleanor
Jan 06, 2008 Eleanor rated it really liked it
At first I thought to myself, there is really no way this series can keep up with itself. The first and second books were just fabulous. But, I was happily surprised that "The Dragon of Despair" kept up with the expectations I have come to have for this series. I swear I thought by now this series would have been ruined by some goo goo eyes sword romance as many fantasies tend to. But the intrigue the plots and the easy way the characters interact with each other remained. So really if you enjoy ...more
Cayleigh
Aug 17, 2009 Cayleigh rated it really liked it
the 3rd book in a series about a young girl who was raised by Royal (intelligent) Wolves. This book takes place mostly in the country of New Kelvin (a neighboring country to the one the main characters are from and the setting of the first two books). Going to a new country refreshed the books for me since I enjoyed their previous adventure in New Kelvin. These aren’t your typical “girl raised by wolves’ books. A nice and complex story that would be good read in the series or even as a standalon ...more
Dec 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Another interesting plot and better character development. Sadly, I haven't seem much development in Lindskol's writing, but that's not entirely surprising. You follow lots of different characters, and it just might be too many; the timeline starts to get overlapped, especially during the climax and so many different things are happening at once. It starts to get a bit confusing. But that's a minor detail. Overall, though, I enjoyed it.
Elise
Dec 22, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it
I do love how this book ended. It left off with Firekeeper and Blind Seer leaving to return to the pack, which leads me to believe that we won't be seeing too much of the Hawk Haven characters. In that case, I appreciate the tying up of loose ends here even more. And with the plan Sir Jared has that he told Elise about, it seems their romance may work out after all. Maybe. Hopefully. I do hope it does. I find myself cheering for those two a lot.
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 Megalion rated it it was amazing
Things get dicey at home for Firekeeper. Home being her wolf pack as it will always be despite her continuing assimilation into the human world.

Also, our band of adventurers must return to New Kelvin. As mentioned in my review of the previous book, I really enjoy the culture of New Kelvin.
Jenna
Jun 13, 2008 Jenna rated it it was ok
Um, I actually have no idea how this book was, because it was impossible for me to get past the first 50 pages. I'm a fast reader and usually don't like stopping in the middle, but it was boring and yet confusing at the same time. It probably didn't help that I didn't read the previous books in the series, but seriously. It should have a more interesting start.
Christy
Apr 05, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Jane, you must have had a very hard childhood. The picture of a child under the thrall of her mother and how she escaped and then was enthralled again, is spell binding. You have given me an insight into the children I work with who've been hurt by their parents emotionally. What a terrible, beautiful book.

Thank you.
June
Mar 22, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal & fantasy readers
Melina has used her power to marry the ruler of New Kelvin and is planning further treachery. Firekeeper is sent with her friends to stop Melina, and reunite her with her youngest daughter in hopes of helping Citrine recover after her ordeal with the pirates. Wisdom of animals (Firekeeper's wolf lore) and humans (I really enjoy Grateful Peace's character) rise to the top.
Melanie
Jun 29, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
The trilogy was long and the books were large. Not large nor long enough in my opinion. We need more Firekeeper. Beautifully written with a justified, vengeful ending to their stories, I was not disappointed with any part of this sequel and really really wish Mrs. Lindskold would give us more.

Edit: I just realized the series is indeed not over. Here I go to buy books.
Amy Ariel
Apr 11, 2016 Amy Ariel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
It's been too long since I read a fantasy book. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, although I admit I read it as a stand-alone. I loved the political intrigues, the cultures, the characters. I loved the strength in the women, and I loved the wolf. The ending was satisfying.

Is there anyone who would ultimately choose humans over Beasts?
Siobhan
Apr 08, 2008 Siobhan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sf
A continuation of the series, but somewhat disappointing. Only minor characters are furthered and the main ones are holding relatively fast. Firekeeper is fearing a war between Men and Beasts, but diplomacy averts it in this book. Worth it if you enjoy spending time in the world, but seems to be in a holding pattern for the overall story arc.
Jeffrey
Apr 21, 2008 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Paul
Aug 22, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At first the book seemed uncomfortably similar to the previous book, but the ending was strong. I wonder if the author's original plan for book 2 encompassed too much for one volume, so she split it in two.
Unwisely
Jul 01, 2010 Unwisely rated it liked it
A lot more of New Kelvin and Melina. Not bad, but there were more adventures than character development. Which is okay for one book - the ride was pleasant! - but will get old if the next one is just the same.
Jenn
Aug 18, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
Over all not a bad read. I think it could of been about 100 pages shorter. At times it did seem to just go on and on.

It's nice to see all the main characters growing and changing.

I'm still enjoying the series.
Kate
Sep 27, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
although is books falls into some tropes I dislike, the idea of a human being raised as a wolf has always been my weakpoint now with majorly less political-ing than the first two books
Beverly
Aug 10, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent third book! I couldn't put it down. All the characters really came alive for me. The ending was satisfying, but with room for sequels. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Brittney Bower
Apr 27, 2013 Brittney Bower rated it did not like it
I hope Grateful Peace had a long life. And that he could truly help Critine with her problems and if sh does turn out to have magic that too.
Accalia
Jan 13, 2017 Accalia rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection-read
I love the way Firekeeper thinks!
Jane
Jul 16, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
I love all of Jane Lindskold's "Firekeeper" novels. They are well written and the characters are endearing and well developed.
Karen
May 18, 2013 Karen added it
i love this series
Férial
Feb 15, 2015 Férial rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series improves with every book.
Sarah H
Nov 02, 2010 Sarah H rated it liked it
This was a really slow book. the only reason that i finished it was becasue the next books are better, and also that by the end, it got beter, which it did.
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Shattered Dance
  • Sword and Sorceress XIX
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Exiles' Return (Ghatti's Tale, #3)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Shapechanger's Song  (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1-2, 2.5)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)

“There were nights when, lying awake on the fringes of Derian’s latest encampment and invigorated by the coolness that came with the dark, she fought back the urge to get up and go just a bit farther. When the wolf-woman slept, she dreamed of her impatience.” 0 likes
“His features, like those of his cousin Norvin Norwood, were aquiline rather than handsome, but unlike Norvin, whose grey eyes seemed to hold something of a raptor’s fierceness, Jared’s similar visage was mild.” 0 likes