Start by marking “The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)

The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,125 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Raised by smart, language-using wolves, far from humans, then brought back to the court of Hawk Haven, young Firekeeper had to learn to cope with human society. Fortunately, for one raised amidst intelligent pack animals, the intrigues of humans are neither complex nor wholly unfamiliar.

Now Melina Shield, the beautiful, unscrupulous, and thoroughly discredited sorceress wh
Published April 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Despair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Despair

White Fang by Jack LondonThe Sight by David Clement-DaviesThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonFell by David Clement-DaviesPromise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst
All Fictional Wolf Books (NOT WEREWOLVES)
29th out of 160 books — 155 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
322nd out of 938 books — 1,977 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 17, 2008 Jag rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Shelves: fantasy
I love this series, but DoD is far too similar to the previous book. When you read it right after Wolf's Head, Wolf's heart a lot of the situtations are just far too similar. Though it's not a bad book, I'd suggest waiting a month or so before reading it if you've just read the previous book.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
At this point, I am somewhat regretting having picked up free copies of the first five books in this series. Having done so, I feel compelled to read them all. Unfortunately, I am not any more enthused by this series than I was at the beginning, perhaps less so. For whatever reason, the characters and plots have never particularly interested in me.

My complaints here are similar to my complaints for the two previous books in the series. First of all, for an epic fantasy series, there is remarkabl
This book is the third in a series of fantasy novels. The books are connected, but the plots are self-contained (i.e., this is not one continuous story spread out over several books). Firekeeper, one of the two principal protagonists, is a feral child raised by wolves and recently reintroduced into human society. The other main character, Derian Carter, is Firekeeper's first and best friends in the human world. The plot is, at its root, fairly routine fantasy: a group of adventurous types must g ...more
Lindsey Duncan
The fact that this was a very long read has nothing to do with the quality of the book, because as with the first two volumes, this is a solid, engaging fantasy. Lindskold's world is not an unusual one, although New Kelvinese society becomes more intriguing on further inspection and the Royal Beasts continue to provide interesting wrinkles and an evolving multi-book conflict. Rather, the pleasure is in the characters and their adventures.

The book begins with one plot and continues with another (
"The Dragon of Despair" is about messed up families, people who get a kick out of manipulating others, the struggle of a people to be recognized as a nation, divided loyalties and about Firekeeper trying to learn patience.

In terms of messed up families we are talking about poor little Citrine and her mother Melina. When Citrine got her finger cut off it did something to her head. It wasn’t the fact of her finger alone but the finger added to her mother’s seeming abandonment. Melina must be a pri
Taylor Alcantar
I really like this book series and plan on finishing it but this book was a test to my patience. Everything happened at a snails pace and left with, of course, so many cliffhangers.

Firekeeper returns to her wolf family who are angered by a new group of humans encroaching on their territory. Firekeeper goes to the king who offers a trade, he will have the humans removed if she goes back to New Kelvin to help Citrine confront her mother, the only way they believe she will be able to move on from
A great addition to a new series with an fantasy world where some animals are more than they seem. Some of the animals, in particular a pack of wolves, saved a baby from a burning village and with help from an unidentified source, inducted her into their pack. Now humans have come in search of the village and its inhabitants, which leads the protagonist to leave behind her forest home to learn the strange language and customs of these two-leggers.

Driven by politics almost exclusively, this dryn
This is a great series. Wolves, medieval setting, magic - what more could you want? Well, a good plot and this has that too!
At first I thought to myself, there is really no way this series can keep up with itself. The first and second books were just fabulous. But, I was happily surprised that "The Dragon of Despair" kept up with the expectations I have come to have for this series. I swear I thought by now this series would have been ruined by some goo goo eyes sword romance as many fantasies tend to. But the intrigue the plots and the easy way the characters interact with each other remained. So really if you enjoy ...more
the 3rd book in a series about a young girl who was raised by Royal (intelligent) Wolves. This book takes place mostly in the country of New Kelvin (a neighboring country to the one the main characters are from and the setting of the first two books). Going to a new country refreshed the books for me since I enjoyed their previous adventure in New Kelvin. These aren’t your typical “girl raised by wolves’ books. A nice and complex story that would be good read in the series or even as a standalon ...more
I kept reading despite missing pages, and it made sense enough.
I'm loving this world,and don't want the series to end
This series improves with every book.
I do love how this book ended. It left off with Firekeeper and Blind Seer leaving to return to the pack, which leads me to believe that we won't be seeing too much of the Hawk Haven characters. In that case, I appreciate the tying up of loose ends here even more. And with the plan Sir Jared has that he told Elise about, it seems their romance may work out after all. Maybe. Hopefully. I do hope it does. I find myself cheering for those two a lot.
Another interesting plot and better character development. Sadly, I haven't seem much development in Lindskol's writing, but that's not entirely surprising. You follow lots of different characters, and it just might be too many; the timeline starts to get overlapped, especially during the climax and so many different things are happening at once. It starts to get a bit confusing. But that's a minor detail. Overall, though, I enjoyed it.
The trilogy was long and the books were large. Not large nor long enough in my opinion. We need more Firekeeper. Beautifully written with a justified, vengeful ending to their stories, I was not disappointed with any part of this sequel and really really wish Mrs. Lindskold would give us more.

Edit: I just realized the series is indeed not over. Here I go to buy books.
Mar 22, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal & fantasy readers
Melina has used her power to marry the ruler of New Kelvin and is planning further treachery. Firekeeper is sent with her friends to stop Melina, and reunite her with her youngest daughter in hopes of helping Citrine recover after her ordeal with the pirates. Wisdom of animals (Firekeeper's wolf lore) and humans (I really enjoy Grateful Peace's character) rise to the top.
Um, I actually have no idea how this book was, because it was impossible for me to get past the first 50 pages. I'm a fast reader and usually don't like stopping in the middle, but it was boring and yet confusing at the same time. It probably didn't help that I didn't read the previous books in the series, but seriously. It should have a more interesting start.
A continuation of the series, but somewhat disappointing. Only minor characters are furthered and the main ones are holding relatively fast. Firekeeper is fearing a war between Men and Beasts, but diplomacy averts it in this book. Worth it if you enjoy spending time in the world, but seems to be in a holding pattern for the overall story arc.
Jane, you must have had a very hard childhood. The picture of a child under the thrall of her mother and how she escaped and then was enthralled again, is spell binding. You have given me an insight into the children I work with who've been hurt by their parents emotionally. What a terrible, beautiful book.

Thank you.
Laura Bozeman
I loved every book in this series.
Over all not a bad read. I think it could of been about 100 pages shorter. At times it did seem to just go on and on.

It's nice to see all the main characters growing and changing.

I'm still enjoying the series.
A lot more of New Kelvin and Melina. Not bad, but there were more adventures than character development. Which is okay for one book - the ride was pleasant! - but will get old if the next one is just the same.
At first the book seemed uncomfortably similar to the previous book, but the ending was strong. I wonder if the author's original plan for book 2 encompassed too much for one volume, so she split it in two.
3rd book in the series, and feels like a trilogy within the series with the ending of the bad guy! Big book, lots of details and storylines to be tied up, and I really enjoyed the depth of story.
Sarah H
This was a really slow book. the only reason that i finished it was becasue the next books are better, and also that by the end, it got beter, which it did.
3rd book in series. The only interesting story line in this series is Firekeeper and Blind Seer. Cut out all the rest and these books would be a lot thinner.
Brittney Bower
I hope Grateful Peace had a long life. And that he could truly help Critine with her problems and if sh does turn out to have magic that too.
Eoghann Irving
Disappointing. The book felt like it existed to set up the next volume in the series rather than being a story in its own right.
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Mindspeaker's Call (Ghatti's Tale, #2)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Night of the Wolf (Legends of the Wolf, #2)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • The Bastard King (Scepter of Mercy #1)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Legacy of the Wolf: Cheysuli Omnibus #2
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)
Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1) Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2) Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4) Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5) Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)

“There were nights when, lying awake on the fringes of Derian’s latest encampment and invigorated by the coolness that came with the dark, she fought back the urge to get up and go just a bit farther. When the wolf-woman slept, she dreamed of her impatience.” 0 likes
“His features, like those of his cousin Norvin Norwood, were aquiline rather than handsome, but unlike Norvin, whose grey eyes seemed to hold something of a raptor’s fierceness, Jared’s similar visage was mild.” 0 likes