Start by marking “The Dangerous Passion: Why Jealousy is as Necessary as Love and Sex” as Want to Read:
The Dangerous Passion: Why Jealousy is as Necessary as Love and Sex

The Dangerous Passion: Why Jealousy is as Necessary as Love and Sex

Why do men and women cheat on each other? How do men really feel when their partners have sex with other men? What worries women more -- men who turn to other women for love or men who simply want sexual variety in their lives? Can the jealousy husbands and wives experience over real or imagined infidelities be cured? Should it be? In this surprising and engaging explorati ...more
Published February 14th 2000 by Free Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Dangerous Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dangerous Passion

Brandt
Feb 05, 2016 Brandt rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am a robot.

At least sometimes it feels like I am a robot. And I guess there is some truth to it. I tend to view everything through a overly logical lens. From where I sit, emotional entanglements tend to fuck things up, so I dismiss the emotions that I feel get in the way of making logical decisions. As such I think that I have managed to short circuit some of those emotions in myself, including jealousy.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but reading David M. Buss' The Dangerous Pass
Dan
Nov 27, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for "how do people really work" with experimental evidence. This book delivers. David is a professor of psychology at the University of Texas who has spent a serious hunk of his career studying the strategies of human mating. Jealousy has evolved to protect against infidelity. Infidelity is bad for those being cheated upon because their genes are less likely to be passed on to a future generation. This book explores infidelity (especially the meat market-- what makes someone attrac ...more
Kimberley
Jul 19, 2017 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
This book astonished me. I had no idea that jealousy was so useful! I had no idea it was so necessary. I had no idea how dangerous it can be. David Buss made jealously make complete sense to me even while it's very complex. Mostly, he puts the onus on the liar and cheater, not the jealous partner.

I underlined and dog-eared many pages and excerpts. Here's one: "... less attractive men, usually unsuccessful in charming women, allotted far more time to tending the home nest, doing household chores
Miss Mouse
Jan 03, 2016 Miss Mouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I thought this book was very interesting and insightful. I never really thought about why people get jealous and why people do it. It was interesting to see all the things that contribute to jealousy and why people want to cause jealousy. It definitely opened my eyes about jealousy and how sometimes it doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Rachael Kvapil
Jan 31, 2014 Rachael Kvapil rated it really liked it
Initially, I read after getting caught up in the jealousy trap of two male friends. But most of this was much too in-depth or didn't apply to that simple scenario. I finished the book and used it for research for my fiction writing. Quite fascinating though I probably could have deducted a lot of this from watching Spanish novellas.
David
Sep 19, 2008 David rated it it was ok
Eh ... not really backed up with anything scientific .. a lot of assumptions and guesses, didn't make it all the way through the book -- interesting idea that jealousy is an evolved characteristic necessary for survival ...
Anri
Dec 21, 2014 Anri rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has a lot of just-so logic going on, but I found it weirdly entertaining to read.
Jenni
Feb 28, 2014 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Well, if there was ever a book that reminded me to feel fortunate and grateful to be single and unattached, this would be the one! Table for one, please!
Anna Tymofiejczuk
Anna Tymofiejczuk rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Louis Evans
Louis Evans rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Goran
Goran rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Ifedayo Sanni
Ifedayo Sanni rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Comp112358
Comp112358 rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2012
Mafu Goonbag
Mafu Goonbag rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Raul
Raul rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Peter Jacobsson
Peter Jacobsson rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Kwiyjibo
Kwiyjibo rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Dunia
Dunia rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2017
James Strock
James Strock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Tomek Helbin
Tomek Helbin rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Terence
Terence rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Tatiana Protasova
Tatiana Protasova rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Rebecca M Stevenson
Rebecca M Stevenson rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Teresa Buczinsky
Teresa Buczinsky rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Duana Welch
Duana Welch rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2007
Jaindoh
Jaindoh rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jealousy: an adaptation 1 3 Apr 10, 2014 11:26AM
  • Why Women Have Sex: Understanding Sexual Motivations from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between)
  • Why Sex Matters: A Darwinian Look at Human Behavior
  • Monogamy
  • Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
  • Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy
  • Mind-Lines: Lines for Changing Minds
  • Leonardo da Vinci and a Memory of His Childhood (Works)
  • Redefining Our Relationships: Guidelines for Responsible Open Relationships
  • Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity
David M. Buss is a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, known for his evolutionary psychology research on human sex differences in mate selection.
Buss earned his PhD in psychology at University of California, Berkeley in 1981. Before becoming a professor at the University of Texas, he was assistant professor for four years at Harvard University, and he was a professor at t
More about David M. Buss...