Start by marking “The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon” as Want to Read:
The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon

The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The phenomenon that Einstein thought too spooky and strange to be true

What is entanglement? It's a connection between quantum particles, the building blocks of the universe. Once two particles are entangled, a change to one of them is reflected---instantly---in the other, be they in the same lab or light-years apart. So counterintuitive is this phenomenon and its implicati
Published July 21st 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The God Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Effect

Fortunr
I am really undecided about this book, which I really wanted to like.
To be honest, while there are some sections that are done brilliantly, there are unfortunately some examples/experiments that are not described clearly and where the hand-waving is really a bit too much. I did not particularly like the section on relativity either: I can easily remember several other books where relativity is explained still in a concise but in a much more clear manner.
In summary, I found that the book is unev
Blarg
(Cross-posted from my blog at http://thebartbooks.blogspot.com/2009...)

Anton Chekhov once said that if you say in the first chapter of your book that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. In other words, if the gun is not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging prominently on the wall.

With that in mind, I looked forward to the author’s discussion of how quantum entanglement could be seen as evidence of an invisible space deity, and was
Jim
As a non-physicist who in intrigued by this kind of book, I was very pleased. Although this book is now somewhat outdated, Clegg gives the most understandable explanation I've read so far about the "spookiness" of quantum entanglemant.
Michael
The Clegg book talks about an amazing aspect of quantum theory, which is that when two particles are created that are linked, or entangled, in spin or some other property, and then separated, and then when the spin of one particle is observed the spin of the other is automatically determined no matter how far away it is. This seems to violate the notion of local causality (not to mention the speed of light). The concept was dismissed by most physicists from the start (even Richard Feynman though ...more
Roger
Quantum Mechanics eerie phenomenon (one of the many) - quantum entanglement - is being described in this book that is clearly written for the non-hardcore-scientist (eg. me). That being said the reader can't just sit back and enjoy the ride, some thinking is necessary and since the topic is part of Quantum Mechanics one needs to be prepared to have ones brain twisted into a pretzel.

The chapters describe possible uses for the entanglement effect and why it is so fiendishly difficult to make it w
Terry
I'm constantly impressed by Brian Clegg's ability capture both the science and the fact of tricky phenomenon. It's not pedantic but necessary to spend fifty pages on the differences between a model and observed fact when talking about something like the quantum behavior of photons going through polarizing filters. I recall having seen the Bell Inequality and eventual Bell Experiments before but the treatment here is phenomenal.

The digression regarding the history of cryptography was largely unne
Gary
If you know anything about quantum entanglement already you will not learning anything new from this book....well that may be a bit harsh. There might be twenty to thirty pages of information on entanglement itself the rest is a history of other topics in which entanglement could be exploited. It for some reason includes a whole chapter (out of 8) about the possibility of sending information instantaneously when he has already proved that no information can transfered through entangled particles ...more
MikeFromQueens
I was not terribly impressed. This book further solidified my belief that the Higgs Boson does not exit, nor does dark matter, but that these are constructs to fill in the gaps in theories where observations cannot be explained. Some areas were truly ridiculous to even read, such as teleportation. Action at a distance? Show me.
Chad Carlock
Good read. Focuses more on potential applications than theory (since we don't really understand the whys and how's of quantum mechanics anyway), but an interesting survey of what is and is not possible.
Mark
Offers very little scientific explanation and a lot of extrapolation and tangential trivia. Good if you like that sort of thing I suppose, but for me it was rather frustrating.
Kerriwyn
Interesting concept, but poorly written. How this author manages to make the idea of possible teleportation boring is beyond me, but he does! LOL
James
Probably a great read for someone with extensive mathematical background, but for me......
BakuDreamer
This was good, but, every time I read about Entanglement I think I understand it less every time ~
Adam
This book is heavy on the academics, but very interesting and engaging. Worth a look.
Dax
Dec 30, 2008 Dax marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this based on a reference to entanglement by Ray Kurzweil.
Erin
slowed down a ton at the end but full of interesting facts!
Karl
It was interesting and not too hard to follow.
Kanta
Kanta marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Vicky Pyne
Vicky Pyne marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Mark Hebwood
Mark Hebwood marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Mostafa
Mostafa marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rod Garza
Rod Garza marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • To Infinity and Beyond: A Cultural History of the Infinite
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness
  • The Quantum Zoo: A Tourist's Guide to the Neverending Universe
  • In Search of the Big Bang
  • Deciphering the Cosmic Number: The Strange Friendship of Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Programming the Universe: A Quantum Computer Scientist Takes on the Cosmos
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution
  • Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time
  • The Mathematics of Life
  • Sidelights on Relativity
  • The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design
  • Mondo 2000: A User's Guide to the New Edge
Brian Clegg has a degree in natural sciences from Cambridge and a masters in Operational Research. He spent seventeen years with British Airways, where he formed a new department tasked with developing hi-tech solutions for the airline, and now speaks throughout the world on business and science-related topics.

He is the author of several popular science titles, including Inflight Science, The God
More about Brian Clegg...
A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain How to Build a Time Machine: The Real Science of Time Travel