Start by marking “Amanda (Austen Series, #5)” as Want to Read:
Amanda (Austen Series, #5)

Amanda (Austen Series #5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Amanda, "Book #5 in Debra White Smith's Austen Series, is a delightful contemporary novel set in Australia that captures the wit and humor of Jane Austen's "Emma."

Amanda is a bit bored--until she meets Haley and decides that with a little sprucing up, she would be the perfect wife for the local pastor. Amanda's plan is falling into place when she discovers that Haley is d
Published January 1st 2006 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Amanda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda

Debbie
If I hadn't been told that this was a 'modern retelling of Emma,' I would never have noticed a resemblance. It's a very tenuous connection. The movie "Clueless" stuck closer to the story as Jane Austen told it.

The reason I like Jane Austen's "Emma" is because Emma is so sure she knows what love is (for other people, mind you), that she doesn't recognize it until it hits her (and Mr. Knightly) hard at the end. I also love that her friendship with and scoldings from Mr. Knightly help her grow int
Deanne Townshend
Once again Debra White Smith turns a Jane Austen classic into a modern, Christian drama full of wit. In this case, Emma is transformed into Amanda and moved from England to Australia. One of the best parts of this book was getting to see not only Emma/Amanda and Mr. Knightley/Nate thinking and acting throughout the novel, but also Harriet/Haley!
Nikki
May 02, 2007 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans Of Jane Austen
Based on Emma from Jane Austen:

Amanda is a bit bored—until she meets Haley and decides that with a little sprucing up, she would be the perfect wife for the local pastor. Amanda’s plan is falling into place when she discovers that Haley is dating Roger...and Pastor Eldridge is seeing someone else. Not to be thwarted, she steers Haley toward newcomer Frederick West. But when Haley is attracted to Nathaniel, why is Amanda’s heart suddenly anxious?

Readers will love this lively tale of plans gone aw
Melanie
Yes, Ms. Smith's writing quality is average. It cannot come close to comparing to the quality of Jane Austen's writing. But let's face it: whose can? Nobody's, in my humble opinion.

The thing that saved this book for me personally is simply that I am a sucker for a love story, and I really appreciate that it is clean. This book is like popcorn. It's not going to satisfy a hunger for good literature, but it's kinda fun for a diversion. I liked it enough to give her other "Austen" books a try, but
Another great one by Smith. Didn't like this one as much as her others in the Austen series but that's only because the plot was so well known to me. The whole time I was reading it, I was picturing the movies "Emma" and "Clueless" as they are also both based on Austen's Emma. I guess the reason I like the others in the series is b/c I am not familiar w/ the books by Austen that they are based upon (shame on me, I know).
Kristi
Apr 15, 2008 Kristi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
This was a nice easy read. It wasn't amazing, but I enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. I absolutely love Jane Austen books, though sometimes not always the attempted remakes of them. I liked her modern version of Emma in this book. (Debra White Smith has a series of modern version Jane Austen books)
Literary  Chanteuse
A lovely re-telling of Emma that is very much like the original but has a quality all it's own. A sweet contemporary romance that delivers the essence of each character and the story all the way to Australia. 3.5 stars
Mell
While marked "read," I could not finish this book. It's fine to write a modern adaptation of Austen's Emma, but NOT fine to lose all the subtlety and charm of the writing.
Arielle
I've always liked the story, Emma, and this is a cute modern retelling. Lots of humor, very sweet, this is a very enjoyable lighthearted book!
Andrea Coffey
Like I said about the other ones...its been a while. But I do remember this was a really really cute version of this story.
Lauri
Modern day adaptation loosely based on Jane Austen's Emma.
Ralynn
a really cute take on jane austins book emma.
Brigitte
This one is based on the book, Emma. Fun read.
Lisa
Jun 23, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Austen series / book five
Lauren Swearingen
Lauren Swearingen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Hanne
Hanne marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles)
  • A Visit to Highbury: Another View of Emma
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy Such I Was
  • Intimations of Austen
  • The True Darcy Spirit
  • Darcy on the Hudson: A Pride and Prejudice Re-imagining
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
  • To Have His Cake (and Eat It Too): Mr. Darcy's Tale
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • Secret Schemes and Daring Dreams
Debra White Smith is a seasoned Christian author, speaker, and media personality who has been regularly publishing books for over a decade. In the last twelve years, she has accumulated more than 55 books sales to her credit with more than 1 million books in print. Her titles include such life-changing books as Romancing Your Husband, Romancing Your Wife, The Divine Romance: Developing Intimacy wi ...more
More about Debra White Smith...

Austen Series (6 books)
  • First Impressions (Austen Series, #1)
  • Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2)
  • Central Park (Austen Series, #3)
  • Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4)
  • Possibilities (Austen Series, #6)
First Impressions (Austen Series, #1) Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2) Central Park (Austen Series, #3) Possibilities (Austen Series, #6) Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4)