Start by marking “The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes ” as Want to Read:
The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes

The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

Through the foggy streets of Victoria London to the deepest countryside, Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson embark on eight thrilling investigations. In some of his best known cases including 'The Speckled Band' and 'The Reigate Puzzle', Holmes brings his unique powers of deduction to bear on the most challenging mysteries.
Paperback, Puffin Classics, 304 pages
Published February 4th 2010 by Puffin Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes

Hannah
Sep 11, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are eight stories of Sherlock Holmes. They aren't any of the well-known ones, but they are still good mysteries and I enjoyed them. I've watched the Sherlock Holmes series on BBC and also seen Elementary and I'm confused as to how they decided to make Sherlock such a jerk. In the stories, he's more then willing to teach others and is delighted at what they discover for themselves.

My one complaint is that Doyle makes Watson out to be such an idiot. I mean, the man is a doctor and served in
Emmy
An excellent collection of stories. I only gave it four stars, however, because I found some of the tales to be a bit slow and tedious, particularly "Silver Blaze". But, all in all, I can't complain about this read!
R B
Jan 05, 2017 R B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel “The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a mystery novel adapted for the everyday man. This novel consists of eight separate cases, all of which follow the works of a detective in England named Sherlock Holmes. A classical, unmistakable depiction of Victorian London, this well written piece of literature pulls you in from the instant you begin reading it, whether you are young or old.

Each case is presented in such a way that it is easy to understand,
Phillip
The stories in this collection are a kind of solid Victorian fun. Mysteries with a fairly minimal amount of danger, where it isn't a question of if Holmes will solve the mystery, but how long it will take him--generally the minimal amount of time possible. What I find most interesting in the stories is not Holmes himself, but Watson. Watson is supposedly the chronicler of all of these adventures, writing them down after the fact. However, Watson the character (as opposed to Watson the narrator) ...more
Carlos
Sep 14, 2015 Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Carlos Cruz

Period 4

Book review

THE EXTRAODINARY CASES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES REVIEW

Sherlock Holmes is this the book for you? While reading this novel I realized that this book was not for everyone. The book required a certain amount of reading skills and an opened mind to understand this mystery book. Usually when reading it, it is hard to tell what the book is trying to communicate or get across to their reader, but it is still amusing trying to figure out what they are trying to say or point out.
Jason
Mar 13, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes collection has always been my favourite time passing book. Sir Conan Doyle did a really great job creating Sherlock Holmes within those pages in the book. By stories told by his clients, he is able to piece facts together to develop a theory. As he once said 'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.' His theories are all based on factual informations that presents in front of ...more
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it
A favourite of most people when it comes to detective stories, actually the writer immortalised his medical teacher in his methods of detecting decease from symptoms and observations.

Hound of Baskerville is the most favourite generally, and most people swear by The Hound of Baskerville, to which I prefer The Speckled Band, and the last one for its descriptions of Swiss landscape.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008.
.............................................

Of course Return of Sherlock Homes is even
David Luong
The reason I chose this book is that Sherlock Holmes has a big influence on me, as she goes through challenges in solving complex mysteries. In this book, she had to investigate many issues in London. While reading, I noticed that she was very conscientious in her studies, and there were many scenes where she carefully examines clues that could lead to solutions of major conflicts. She demonstrates these during the climax of the story, and it ends by mentioning the success of Holmes in completin ...more
Keith
Nov 30, 2015 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These are the first Holmes stories I’ve ever read. I don’t know how these stories rate among Doyle’s best. They seem to be drawn from the magazine series – all the stories are about the same length. And the character of Holmes seems firmly established, so these appear to be middle or late stories.

The stories themselves are breezy, entertaining reads. I imagine they were revolutionary in their time. But I expected more. Other than Holmes, the characters are rather lightly drawn and uninteresting
Lei
Nov 08, 2011 Lei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-2012
This is a selection of cases from other Sherlock Holmes books. I enjoy reading this because it is mysterious and makes me think. It is great to see how Sherlock Holmes thinks. I learn from him that every little detail matters and so we should be more aware of the environment around us. My favorite case is the Adventures of the Dancing Men because it shows how Sherlock Holmes is able to unlock a code of children drawing dancing men and translate it into English. Everyone, including the murderer w ...more
Victoria P-isb
Overall, I was impressed by Conan Doyle’s use of minuscule details that only his character Sherlock Holmes seems to notice and later brings to the attention of the readers.I was also surprised that many of the stories begin focused on small, seemingly unimportant details such as a lost hat or picture of dancing men and eventually lead to the discovery of lost diamonds or murderers.However, these little details are what characterize Holmes and create the recurring theme of the dangers of only foc ...more
Rosemary
Mar 05, 2011 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this selection of Sherlock Holmes stories. Holmes is not my favourite detective: I prefer mysteries that depend more on relationships and less on unlikely deductions from the state of a suspect's clothes etc., but the Holmes and Watson stories are real classics of the genre.

This selection includes 'The Speckled Band', which I'm sure gave me nightmares when I first read it, and 'Silver Blaze', which contains the famous lines:

Police Inspector: "Is there any point to which you would wish
Joshua
Mar 06, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is a very weird but an enjoyable character. In all his stories that I have read, he always has his "ways" of finding out the solution. Instead of fighting, he usually uses what he sees to use around the situation. He is sometimes proud, because it is like he knows everything. This story is fascinating but very confusing because sometimes I am at the part of a killing and then suddenly they change the setting and so my brain thinks that, "There is a new scene" but then suddenly it ...more
Jamie
Dec 31, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read this summer was The Extraordinary Cases of Sherlock Holmes. This is a collection of the famous short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Each story is a different case and the same great deduction skills of Sherlock Holmes, carefully documented by Dr. John Watson.
My favorite story is the Case of the Speckled Band. After Holmes gets a case to search into the death of a woman’s sister., he goes on a stakeout and, even though he was drunk, solves the case.
I would recommend t
Matilda Rose
May 17, 2016 Matilda Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson embark on eight brilliant adventures while Holmes uses his extraordinary skills to solve mind-boggling mysteries. My favourite mystery was the first - The Speckled Band. In it, a young lady's sister dies and Holmes and Watson have to figure out what killed her. I came up with plenty of theories (not necessarily correct ones!).

I thought it was clever how the author used Watson in his books - never quite catching up, always a bit behind Sherlock (and the reader). This
Sherry
Jun 21, 2013 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective stories are always pretty good. However, I found Agatha Christie's short stories much more interesting to read. I feel that Sir Conan Doyle didn't do too good a job in character distinction; for example, I couldn't tell one character apart from another through their speech. Agatha Christie is really good at that though. Still, this book is really worth reading, especially since Sherlock Holmes is the first modern detective :).
Jaspreet Singh
Just finished the book an hour, or so, ago. Had issued it continuously, five or more times from my law college library. The reading was a mixed bag of experiences. Many highs and lows. Occasionally, the pages seemed a total boredom, making me feel, I won't be able to ever end this book. At few instances, it felt contrary, as though the tale should never end. Its over at last. I will remember it is/was the first book I issued in my college life.
Meg
Apr 05, 2010 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Arthur Conan Doyle's iconic master of logic and detective calculation comes through time and again in the well-known and beloved mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. With Doyle's unmatched atmospheric evocation of Victorian London, unforgettable leads, and imaginative mysteries, Sherlock Holmes is delightful.
Ryoichi
May 31, 2015 Ryoichi rated it it was amazing
Just like the book the great adventures of Sherlock Holmes this book explains the genius of Sherlock Holmes. He uses small evidence to uncover the secrets of the crime. This book gives you more extraordinary crimes for Sherlock Holmes to solve and solve it he does with help from his assistant Doctor Watson.
Nathan Whatley
Jan 09, 2013 Nathan Whatley rated it really liked it
Classic Doyle in a nice kid friendly package. The text is the same, but the font and size of the book makes it appealing to read.
Crystal
Dec 03, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Good collection of the shorter Holmes stories, but if you're looking for the more famous ones, this is not the assortment for you.
Jill
Aug 01, 2009 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I now have a new love and new appreciation for Sherlock Holmes.

Edit, August 9: of all the classics on my list, the Sherlock Holmes stories have by far been my favorite.
witz
Jul 31, 2007 witz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiksi
sebenernya kapan tepatnya baca ne buku lupa.. bener2 suka semua seri sherlock...menarik.. menggambarkan seorang sherlock yang bener2 genius dalam bidangnya..
Larina
Nov 02, 2008 Larina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
I've never read any Sherlock Holmes before and the stories are awesome! I can't wait to get more of them!
David Johnson
Dec 22, 2009 David Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty goo book, keeps you hooked in. The plot , scene change since they are different stories compiled into one book. Very good mystery, also kinda funny.
Lauren
Feb 28, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fine. Nothing spectacular, as mentioned in my comments I appreciate the effect the books had on the genre but I really do love Poirot more than Sherlock. Still a pleasant enough read.
Jeremy
Mar 09, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it
A great little starter set of Sherlock Holmes mysteries. My first encounter with Sherlock but certainly not my last.
Brianna
My favorite story was the Adventure of the Dancing Men. There were a lot of really great tales in this book!
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Aly
Aly rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2014
  • Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • The Mystery of Drear House (Dies Drear Chronicles, #2)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • The Duel and Other Stories
  • Flying to America: 45 More Stories
  • 50 Great American Short Stories
  • Aladdin and Other Tales from the Arabian Nights
  • Shadows Over Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #8)
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Sherlock Holmes: El sabueso de los Baskerville; Reaparece Sherlock Holmes; Sherlock Holmes no ha muerto (Sherlock Holmes, #5, 6)