Start by marking “El relicario (Pendergast, # 2)” as Want to Read:
El relicario (Pendergast, # 2)

El relicario (Pendergast #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  28,079 Ratings  ·  911 Reviews
Cuando la policía encuentra dos esqueletos unidos en un abrazo en un río de Manhattan, Margo Green, conservadora del Museo de Historia Natural, es invitada a colaborar en la investigación, no solo por sus conocimientos antropológicos sino por su experiencia el año anterior cuando se enfrentó con una horrenda bestia que andaba suelta por los sótanos del museo. Los esqueleto ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 530 pages
Published March 7th 2003 by DeBolsillo (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about El relicario, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El relicario

Stephen
Oh the humanity…the expectation-murdering ugh of the dreadful sequel to the quality original. Unfortunately they happen. Some are a menace to the phantoms of our youthful memories:
Photobucket

…others make us long for murderous Revenge on the studio that spawned it from their retched, greed-dripping Jaws.
Photobucket

Some sequels have plot/acting/directing so loaded with mockery- needed fail that we are transformed into staunch proponents of the virtues of franchise euthanasia:
Photobucket

…and some sequels are just big, bloated,
Sean Gibson
Mar 15, 2016 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If reading Relic was the literary equivalent of eating a hot dog, reading Reliquary is like eating a chili cheese dog with extra onions—it’s more of everything that was good (and also heartburn-inducing) about its predecessor. Higher stakes, a more elaborate (and ridiculous) mystery, crazier science/pseudo-science…heck, it even threw in a Scooby-Doo-esque villain (“I’d have gotten away with it, too, if you meddling FBI geniuses with cloying southern accents hadn’t stopped me!”).

So, chances are,
Dirk Grobbelaar
Eighteen months before, she had stared into the face of Mbwun, seen her reflection in its feral red eyes.

First of all: the cover of Reliquary is misleading. I have a vague suspicion that the critter depicted is a rather innocuous and extraordinarily baboon-like depiction of Mbwun, because it certainly isn’t a Wrinkler. It was important for me to get that off my chest, because Reliquary is the first Pendergast novel that I read out of sequence. Why? Well, the closing chapters of Relic and the cov
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

With that tantalizing wrap-up of Relic, I couldn’t wait to revisit the story and characters in Reliquary. I’m glad the authors decided to continue the story of Mbwun right off, although it’s clear after the prologue that much has happened and mutated behind the scenes.

You get a return of the familiar characters, but most have changed a little, partly from the events they survived and partly from the developments which befell them as a consequence of those events. Margo has rounded out to be a li
Lisa
Jul 09, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable sequel to Relic - it has the same fab characters and the same spooky story but this time set in the underground tunnels of New York. Love all the 'science' bits as before and just think it's a fun creepy story.
To add to the hilarity I listened to this one on audio and the man talking in a girl's voice made me laugh so much and then when they were denoting a thought rather than something said aloud they used an 'echo' effect - heehee! (I am so childish sometimes!)
Colleen
Feb 04, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I love these books so much. I'm trying to reread the whole series (for what is probably the fourth or fifth time) before the latest book comes out in May. Funny reading this again, I couldn't help but notice how little Pendergast is in this one. All of the later ones focus on him much more, but in the earlier ones, the strength of the book is much more in the cast of characters and not one individual.

I like how fleshed out the world is. And I give major points to both authors for giving me so m
Mike (the Paladin)
I didn't care for this one quite as much as I did the first (Relic). Pendergast is still a good character but the story wanders a little farther into the suspension of disbelief area.

There is one point in this book that disappointed me particularly, but to go into what would require a notable spoiler. So, the book is still readable and enjoyable, Pendergast is still a good character (aside from the "Gary Stu" aspects. He is somewhat of a superhero.)...but I still didn't care for it quite as much
Quentin Wallace
Good novel, but not as good as The Relic. The Relic seemed like more of a classic monster story whereas this one took a different approach that I didn't think worked as well.

(view spoiler)
Oscar
Siempre me han llamado la atención los libros escritos a cuatro manos. No tengo claro cómo se coordinan a la hora de llevar a cabo el trabajo. ¿Un capítulo cada uno? ¿Uno tiene las ideas y otro redacta? Me parece que debe tener más ventajas que inconvenientes, ya que si uno de los dos se atasca en algún punto de la trama, siempre es más fácil salir del apuro consultando al otro. Lo que sí tengo claro es que el dúo Preston-Child realiza su trabajo de maravilla. Saben escribir, bien, muy bien.

‘El
Kribu
I can't really remember exactly which problems (other than slow start and somewhat lacking characterisation) I had with Relic, but whatever they were, I didn't have them with this one, which is more or less a direct sequel to the first book, taking place eighteen months later.

Frankly, by some other scale - some vague scale of "literary goodness" or whatever, this wouldn't be a four star book, but I did really like it, so...

Slowish start again, but this time it didn't really bother me. I even enj
John
Aug 07, 2010 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Here's a sequel I didn't expect much from, having read the original "Relic" twelve or so years ago. Not that the original story wasn't excellent, because it was; it's just that the awful movie version stuck with me and drained away any excitement toward revisiting those characters. Surprisingly, despite having had none of the fanfare of "Relic," Reliquary was a solid, down-and-dirty action thriller. Sure, it's much too long, but, like many a Stephen King novel, it's all written so well that you ...more
StoryTellerShannon
MINI REVIEW: A nice follow up to book one that doesn't suffer through the typical sophomoric slump. Yes, the beast is back but in a totally different manner so no real spoilers there. Focus upon the mole people of NYC with some interesting tidbits of American History that go back quite a ways. Dialog and story plotting are particularly well done and new characters come to visit. If you enjoyed the first book then you should enjoy this one as well.

WHEN READ: July to September 2010; MY GRADE: B p
⊱ Irena ⊰
A year and a half after the events that brought Pendergast, Vincent D'Agosta, Margo Green, William Smithback together, police divers stumble into two headless skeletons. One of them is completely deformed. The details of the case are enough for D'Agosta asks for Margo's help. This story is built upon the previous so even if it could be read as a standalone, it's better to read Relic first. I was beginning to think that Pendergast won't appear at all since he enters a quarter into the story.

The c
Natasa
This book is equally entertaining as the first one, but still one start below. It doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy it though :)
Horace Derwent
Jul 04, 2016 Horace Derwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sorry for my english, i can't fetch any proper adjectives to describe how good the book is

when i hadn't finished reading it yet, i mean, in the middle part of reading this, i just got gripped and shocked already

say, i nibbled finishing the book
Frank
This is a sequel to The Relic which I read about a year ago (actually listened to an audio book). This is also the second in the Pendergast series. Reliquary picks up from where Relic left off and tells how a large group of beasts similar to the beast in the Relic has been murdering and decapitating the citizens of New York, mainly the homeless who live in the myriad tunnels and forgotten chambers underneath Manhattan. The characters from the Relic return in this sequel including museum curator, ...more
Rade
Apr 13, 2014 Rade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
real rating would be somewhere around 3.5 stars

Let me just say that I did not think the sequel to Relic was necessary. yes there was a somewhat of a cliffhanger after all the other stuff was wrapped around in the first book, but a second book that featured the same characters was not necessary.

I liked this book, I really did. It was not necessarily bad, just different. I thought this one could have had similar creatures to the Relic book with few improvements to them. That would have been inte
Unauthorized Cinnamon McCann
I wanted something pulpy and easy - a book that tells its story in a straightforward fashion and draws the reader on with an interesting plot. To some extent, this satisfied that need. But I found it a little ham-fisted. Characters are generally either all-good or all-bad, and the obnoxious ones we're meant to hate are introduced through physical descriptions that loudly, emphatically shout, "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HATE THIS CHARACTER!"

Meanwhile, the plot developments to come are pretty obvious, es
Zell
Feb 14, 2010 Zell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Mbwun strikes back! This time in larger amounts. Maybe these hordes weren't Mbwun at all, but they existed anyway. Pendergast and his faithful company once again must save the World.

The idea for a plot is really poor. Something like: Lets do a sequel with nearly the same evil, but now our heroes are level upped, so we must duplicate the danger... A hundredfold or so. Relic was a horror with a pinch of mystery. Reliquary was a pinch of mystery without horror. Not such a good exchange.

So, what ha
Sep 30, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mónica Silva
Apr 02, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Douglas Preston e Lincoln Child formam uma dupla imbatível no que concerne a construção de um bom thriller, capaz de prender o leitor até às últimas páginas! Este volume constitui a sequela direta de A Relíquia, dezoito meses após os fatídicos acontecimentos numa noite de pesadelo no Museu de História Natural de Nova Iorque. Rapidamente percebemos que a morte de Mbuwn, a terrível criatura mortífera, não restabeleceu a paz na cidade. Pelo co
Angie
May 14, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery and thriller fans
Recommended to Angie by: Steven
This was almost as much fun as the first book Relic. It was back in New York but was more centred on the tunnels beneath than in the museum. It was just as exciting and the characters were all well written. I found the mole people fascinating and I've ordered the nonfiction book that tells more about them. There are more Mbwun creatures living in NY now and the race is on to find and stop them, there were some good surprises included. I can recommend this book, I read it straight after the first ...more
Althea Ann
The sequel to Relic.
The dangerous substance that caused the killer man-dinosaur in the Natural History Museum has been synthesized and has spead as a drug through underground NYC. The homeless are being killed at a frightening rate, and rumors of freakish mutants in the lowest levels are spreading, but it takes a debutante's death to catch the attention of the media and the police department.
Will Our Heroes figure out the dastardly plot and succeed in the drastic measures they must take to save
Helena Martinčević
Sjajna, sjajna knjiga! Napeta do samog kraja, izvanredan stil, jedva se ispusta iz ruku. Sve pohvale i cista desetka.
Laura Grable
I give this story three stars, but I give four stars to great use of location. If I take nothing else from this book, I found the information about underground New York and the people who choose to live their, incredibly fascinating. I'm not sure how much of it is true, but I did additional research on this subject and did confirm that their are likely 30 stories of tunnels under New York with miles and miles of undocumented territory. Also, there are definitely people who live underground to es ...more
Andy
Jul 06, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, this brings me back. Relic was one of my favourites as a teenager (re-read last in 2006), spurred by the excellently entertaining albeit different, film version (sure, it's not high art but it is an fun creature feature). I still remember the clamouring excitement to find there was a sequel, and the bafflingly unexpected direction it took. To my teenage self this was a bit of a revelation. I've never re-read it though, until now.

Looking back now, Preston and Child did a pretty good job of ru
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
Reliquary is a sequel to Relic and takes place in the same area of New York City as the first book. I was pleased to note that the Museum also had a place in this book, though one not as prominent as in the first book. However, this story takes some of the same characters deep underground into what seems to be a fascinating network of multi-level underground tunnels, aqueducts, drainage pipes, sub-terrannian communities. Not having much experience at all with New York City, I really had no idea ...more
Jane Stewart
2 stars. I really enjoyed book #1 (Relic) but this not so much. My mind wandered frequently.

Book 1 was a complete story about a beast who killed humans. Book 2 is about beasts who are related to the beast in book 1. Book 2 has a lot of time in underground tunnels and with the homeless. The story and characters were not as good as book 1. The people, what they did, and their motivations did not interest me.

In an interview the author Preston commented that "RELIQUARY was probably the least succe
ScoLgo
What is it about some books that make them so readable? Despite the silly premise, the moralizing, the rather vague character development, and the 1,001 plot holes, I devoured this sequel in short order. I guess it's simply the pure dumb & creepy fun that tools along at a reckless pace paying little heed as to whether or not any sense is being made. The short chapters often end on mini cliff-hangers and the next chapter tantalizes by picking up where another character was previously in immin ...more
Sandro Filipe
Mar 01, 2016 Sandro Filipe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
By a slight mistake, I find myself obliged to read the second book of the Agent Pendergast series. I liked the first one because of the mystery, but now this is turning more into a sci-fi story, and one that I'm not enjoying... Let's see if my opinion will change when I get to the end of the book." Now I don't regret that much the fact that I started reading this book, since it got more interesting in the end. I was desperate to reach the ending of the book, reading it took too much time...

trad.
Horror Aficionados : Reliquary by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child (#2 Pendergast) 24 32 May 08, 2015 01:57AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Reliquary 1 2 Jul 15, 2013 08:13AM
  • Utopia
  • Subterranean
  • Implant
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Primal Waters (MEG #3)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • South of Heaven
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)

“I have often found it true that the louder a person speaks, the less they have to say.” 4 likes
“Occam’s” 0 likes