Pulling Away

Pulling Away (Pulling Away #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Noah and Charlie grew up in the same neighborhood. They’d always been friends, though never close. When Charlie is left alone after the death of his family, however, Noah is the only friend that sticks around after Charlie practically becomes a hermit.

Determined to get through to Charlie, Noah invents a fake identity on the computer to talk with him. And while Charlie sti...more
Published February 16th 2009 by Amber Quill Press, LLC (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pulling Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulling Away

Daisiemae
Dec 01, 2008 Daisiemae rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shawn Lane Fans. Readers of M/M romances
Recommended to Daisiemae by: I really like the author
Shawn Lane's books has turned into an automatic buy for me. I really love her style of writing. My only complaint is I wish her stories were longer, but I guess we can't have it all....dang it!
Noah Riggins has had a crush on his friend Charlie for years. Charlie has always seemed to have a charmed life. Handsome and popular, he was always well liked...even when he came out to his friends. But, Charlie has changed since the death of his parents. He doesn't go out anymore, surrounds himself in dar...more

My twitchy BUY button finger usually gets me in trouble. Haha…Huge trouble! :) But the other night luck and love were with me when I discovered Shawn Lane.

”If you’d only known how little time you had with someone, you’d do things different. Wouldn’t you?”

Pulling Away by Shawn Lane is a quick read filled with inspiration, hope, and love. It is so easy to fall in a black hole of our own pain. Just shut out the world. We try so hard to protect ourselves after a loss by pulling away from people and...more
Ava
Pulling Away is a short story, the shortest Shawn Lane book I've read, and yet still, the author did a fantastic job giving the reader a complete story. The book starts after Charlie and Noah start having sex. To Charlie, it's just casual sex, or that's what he tells himself. Noah's been his friend for ages, they grew up in the same neighborhood and still live only a few houses apart from each other, and well, Noah's there. He's a constant in his life, someone Charlie takes for granted. But wher...more
Gabbi
I really enjoyed this book! I was pleasantly shocked that it had such an emotional punch to it. I liked both of the characters and enjoyed watching their relationship evolve into something that could be beautiful.
DarienMoya
^^ IF ONLY IT WAS LONGER!^^

This story so incredibly short but it packs a strong punch. This little short will reach you on both an emotional and physical level. I was angry and then at some point I wanted to cry, then I got angry again and wanted to kick a certain someone's ass. Rollercoaster of emotions in this tiny work of art.

Charlie is depressed about losing his parents so he spends time locked inside himself and in his home. The only person accepted into his doom gloom of comfort is Noah....more
Brenda (b)
I read Car Wash last week and at the time I didn't realize that this story was related and actually came first. This story was great too. I felt a connection to Noah and Charlie -- they felt like real people. I wanted to see more of them and didn't want to get to the end yet. As things started to unfold, I was sad for Noah but proud too when he decided to move on and not force himself on Charlie. Charlie got a wake up call that he needed to take a chance and let someone into his life.
Amber Quill Press
"... a great story and I enjoyed it immensely. It touched all the subjects I adore, and it did so very well. There was angst and some hot lovin’ in this story...it was an enjoyable ride."--Caen Nymph, Literary Nymphs Reviews
Lindsay
Dec 07, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of homoerotic romances
Recommended to Lindsay by: Daisiemae
The characters had good chemistry together. I wish the story had been longer. Enjoyable, quick read.
Nerine Petros
Pulling Away is an emotionally charged novella length story featuring Noel and Charlie, two sort-of friends from school. From the first line, I was swept away by Noel and his dreams of what could be as compared to what is, before meeting Charlie and becoming aware of the underlying tensions between the two.

When I first started reading Pulling Away, my impression of Charlie is that of a selfish and callous person, only to soon realise his reactions are a direct result of what has occurred in his...more
Elisa Rolle
This is really a very well plotted short story, so well plotted that it's really a shame that it was so short, 34 pages.

Noah and Charlie are neighbor since forever but never have been really friends. When they were at school they had different circles and interests; Charlie was the king of the school, wealthy, handsome, good at anything he tries. Noah instead was an average guy with an average life, he wasn't even a nerd or a geek, really only a normal guy.

Neither when both Charlie than Noah cam...more
Valérie
Jolie petite romance, très tendre entre deux meilleurs amis.
Deeze
Such a sweet little story that’s got a touch of angst in it too.

Charlie is a bit of a dirt bag but he has issues so he is forgiven.

Noah is my classic good guy that’s nothing special except that he is a good guy.

A quick easy read for when you want an emotional story but don’t have a lot of time.
Rizal Pahakuat
Stop pulling away, will ya?

“Come inside, Charlie. I think we need to talk.”

Yes, do the talking, guys. You need it when you realized that you love your closest-friend and wanted him to be THE ONE. Once you late to do that, maybe tomorrow you’ll stay alone and regret all of the chances that you’ve missed of.

I don’t know why I need this very long time just to finish this beautiful story. Nevermind. Once I read it again, I finished it fast. Totally in love with Charlie. Hahaha. Even, I fancy him as...more
mah1
The reason I go through books like a maniac sometimes is that I'm always looking for stories that make me cry in a good way. I don't much cry in real life so this is a way for me to vent my feels.

This had everyhting I love: rejection, one MC acting like a jerk and jealousy. And a happy ending.

4 stars because for some reason it didn't really reach that magical level like the books I give 5 stars to. Bonus points for starting after Noah and Charlie slept together
Sadonna
Tsumetai
Hey now, wow! What a short book! And actually...dunno what to say about it. It gave off a feeling like...one of those books I read in my early teens (pure romantical stuff – black black times for me). It just seemed like very quick BIG LOVE-heartbreak-trust me again-make up sex-happy end. Nothing inbetween, not even one sentence. Guess that´s why it was like a really quick trip by subway I guess. And I have to point out again:everything was so...lined up and I guess I also missed it to be more f...more
Debra Strattford
Good book! Noah and Charlie are so good! They look like any people you know. Neighbours to lovers! Wow :)
Lipvixen
Walk away from Charlie Noah! WTF? He was just using you for sex and decides he wants you because he has nobody else! He treated you like dirt repeatedly you should at least have driven him suicidal before taking him back. Better yet, leave him to rot and die! GEEZ!!!
Susan65-Coug
Yikes...Charlie was so mean. I understand his depression and all but yowza..I am not so sure I could trust him with my heart after some of the things he said. BUT, it was still a good story and now I have to read book two. I hear this one is a doozy too so I hope I'm up for it.
Ryoma Gartre
I loved it because the characters were real, I would have done exactly the same as Noah after reading what he wrote online, and while I can understand charlie, i always have trouble putting myself in weak-minded characters place, still i enjoyed it.
Chris
3.5 stars. Reread. Good short m/m romance about a guy who's isolated himself since his parents died two years earlier, only really talking to a friend he met online.
Sandy
I really liked Noah and Charlie and felt for both characters. I wish it had been longer and am disappointed there won't be a sequel.
melek
charlie and noah neighbors friends turn lovers, But charlie has problems and noah wants to be there for him will he let him or let him go..
Fernanda Parente
although short it was a pleasant story to read. I loved Noah
Steven Kruger
Short and quick diversion.
  • Precious Ache
  • My Father's Lover
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Second Sight
  • Eros Rising
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Under My Skin (Under My Skin, #1)
  • Convincing Arthur (Convincing, #1)
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
  • When Love Comes Back Around
  • Persistence of Memory
  • Out of Bounds (Love of Sports, #1)
  • Office Advances (Campus Cravings, #8)
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
Car Wash (Car Wash, #1) At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Most Likely To Succeed