Bloodthirsty (Lomax & Biggs, #2)

Bloodthirsty (Lomax & Biggs #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  67 reviews
It’s a bloodthirsty town, Hollywood. No matter how popular you are, there’s always someone who’d be happier if you were dead. And in some cases, you can be such a bastard, everyone would be happier if you were dead.

Barry Gerber, one of the most hated men in Hollywood, is a no-show for a red carpet event. The next morning he turns up dead, killed in such a bizarre way that...more
Published May 14th 2007 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

False Impressions by Sandra NikolaiThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Case of the Wayward Fae by H.L.  StephensA Share In Death by Deborah CrombieA Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane
Partners!
19th out of 26 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Markm
Wonderful second book in a series. Love the main characters Lomax-Biggs. Although Big Jim is turning out to be my favorite person. The backround stories were supurb. Avery fast read. Looking forward to the next installment.
David Romigh
I've always considered most mystery novels to be a sort of waste of time; if I can solve a 'whodunnit' with about a hundred pages left, it's probably not that well-written. Karp's novels have a tendency to take sharp left-hand turns into right field and leave you sitting there blinking and wondering what the hell you'd missed seventy-five pages previously. THAT, friends, is a good read, and indicative of a writer who knows how to tell a good story.

Do yourself a favor and start reading these boo...more
Christina
May 15, 2007 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mystery fans....buddy cop fans
Shelves: 2007, own
The mysteries in Mr. Karp's books are never the work of criminal masterminds, just everyday people seeking the justice they deserve. combine that with a pair of buddy cops and their surrounding entourage and you've got yourself a page turner!

The latest book is shorter than his first but the mystery was more straight forward, more pages would have only been filler. A great sophomore novel. I hope he continues these characters because I want to see where they go!
Ken Heard
Sequel is just as good as Karp's debut "Rabbit Factory," only shorter. In many cases, the wisecracking cop/detective novels are mere clones of each other. But Karp's two books are fresh,funny and enjoyable to read. I wish this, like Rabbit Factory, was 600-plus pages, but this one is much shorter. Can't wait for his next book.
Maddie
I laughed quite a lot while eading this book. Fun and entertaining. Great for summer.
Emily
This is the follow up to The Rabbit Factory and definitely does not disappoint. The wisecracking, authentic humor that I loved about the first book is present throughout the story, and the murders, while gruesome, are of a much more personal nature in this book. The ending will have you thinking about what side of the debate you come down on, which is, for me, an interesting addition to the story.

By all accounts, Barry Gerber is a douchebag of epic proportions. He's also a Hollywood powerhouse w...more
Joanna
I'm sure that this book, the second in the series, was just as good as the first but I had a really hard time getting into it so I can't really rate it fairly. I also had a hard time getting into other books during the same time period.

Here's what Fantastic Fiction says about it:

It's a bloodthirsty town, Hollywood. No matter how popular you are, there's always someone who'd be happier if you were dead. And in some cases, you can be such a bastard, everyone would be happier if you were dead.

Barry...more
Jonathan
Ah Hollywood, L.A.'s glitzier, fluffier cousin. The birthplace of Noir lies down street a little ways, but Tinsel Town has more than its fair share of darkness and depravity. It's the land of glamour and flashbulbs and shattered dreams. Beneath the gilded exterior she's as rotten and festering as a third world whore. So is it any wonder that it was the setting for one of the most entertaining mysteries I've read this year? The book is Blood Thirsty by Marshall Karp. It's number two in a series o...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: Roger and Aggie held hands as they watched the kid bleed out.

Detectives Mike Lomax and Terry Biggs are still basking in the glow of solving the murders which occurred in The Rabbit Factory. In fact they've been approached by someone who wants to turn the investigation into a movie. Since Terry has three daughters who want to go to college, they agree to meet with a big-time producer at a red carpet event. Mogul Barry Gerber is a no-show that night, but he does show up in a garbage ca...more
LJ
BLOODTHIRSTY (Police Procedural-Lomax & Biggs-Los Angeles-Cont) – G+
Karp, Marshall – 2nd in series
Macadam Cage, 2007 – US Hardcover – ISBN: 9781596922099
First Sentence: Roger and Aggie held hands as they watched the kid bleed out.
*** Detectives Mike Lomax and Terry Biggs are back. They are all set to negotiate a movie version of their first case in Familyland except the producer, Barry Gerber, they are suppose to meet doesn’t show up; that is, until his body is found in a trash can having be...more
Spuddie
#2 Lomax & Biggs mystery. Being homicide detectives in Hollywood, you're always likely to get involved in one celebrity frou-frou or another. Mike Lomax & Terry Biggs are actually doing a bit of the celeb thing themselves, invited by their agent to a movie premier to meet a producer who wants to make a movie of their escapades in the previous book.

Disappointingly, the producer doesn't show, and the next morning, Mike & Terry find out that it wasn't just because he was off in some co...more
Hannah
Funny, with plenty of mystery and action!

The Hollywood setting is extremely interesting, as are the random real life names that pop up in there. Karp has great comedic timing, too, so if you like your detectives to have a sense of humour, then you'll love Detective Terry and Mike. Loved the way the murders were carried out, too; very imaginative. The only thing I didn't like was the implication towards the end that the mother avenging her daughter by murdering three men (and nearly four) in cold...more
Jack Chaddic
Blood thirsty is a mystery-suspense book. It is about dective bigs and dective lomax. They are two of the best dectives in the state of california. They have solved some of the biggest crimes together. Now they are trying to become actors in a movie and they are searching for someone to pay for theproduction of their movie, but all of the movie directorz that they are meeting are getting murdered. And they are assigned to the task of finding out whois killing all.of these directors. As they dig...more
Brandon
Marshall Karp does it again with his quirky and hilarious duo of Lomax and Biggs. Include his injection of sarcasm and this story flew from page to page and kept me interested the entire way through. Even though it was revealed earlier than most mysteries of who the killers are, the story and the background that Karp delves into afterwards made me keep going where in most crime novels where the killer is revealed, I just want to get to the end. I recommend reading this series as I will soon star...more
Bart
I listened to the audible rendition of this, the second in the Lomax & Biggs series. It's an interesting story, but not a normal mystery since we find out early on who is carrying out the killing and why. The book is better than the first, The Rabbit Factory, in that it is no longer than it needs to be, it is funnier, and with more believable characters. The narrator, Tom Stechschulte, is terrific, making it much more fun to listen to than to read.
David Hammons
second in the series and moves right along. twisty in the end well worth the read.
Ricky
What The Rabbit Factory should have been - shorter, sweeter, more gruesomer, more awesomer.
Mark Goodwich
Interesting light comedy detective story. Just a quick fun read, no deep meaning and that's what good about it. Hoping for more laughs in his third novel.

I will not go into the story-line, many other reviews have already done this so I will just rate the book on its elements (0 to 5 being highest):

Protagonist Development: 3
Antagonist Development: 3
Minor Character Development: 2
Storyline: 3
Setting: 3
Theme: 3
Writing Style: 3
Overall Rating: 3
I loves me some Marshall Karp! I bought Rabbit Factory a few years ago while I was sitting in the airport waiting for a delayed flight, and greatly enjoyed it. This sequel to Rabbit Factory is just as good and entertaining. This is actually my second reading of BloodThirsty. How can you not love Terry Biggs? Love the dialogue and the characters. Its a bit over the top, but what isn't in Hollywood, really? Keep 'em coming!
Todd
The return of Detectives Lomax and Biggs. Producers, actors, and directors die at the hands of the Hollywood Bloodsucker. No vampires are actually involved, but it's an ingenious form of murder. Witty quips abound. The killers garner more sympathy from the reader than the victims of their crimes. A quick and satisfying read, I actually finished it in the two weeks allotted by the Manchester City Library.
Andrew
A great "grabber" opening. All the wit (maybe more) of the first book plus a fantastic storyline. Bogged down a little in the middle (maybe..just a little) or just took a little longer to get rolling (after that first great chapter) but by the 2/3 mark I was thoroughly enthralled with the plot and the ending did not disappoint. A really good read.
Brenda
This is my least favorite of Karp's Lomax and Biggs mysteries and probably because it is full of the excesses of Hollywood types. Who cares? The detectives and their associates/families have amusing banter throughout but much of it is sexual and sexist and I just don't think that's really funny. A decent read but not even close to "Rabbitland".
John Hendricks
Marshall Karp's second Lomax and Biggs detective story continues in the great smart-alecky police department footsteps of its predecessor "The Rabbit Factory." Fans of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole mysteries should enjoy this...the banter is quick, the stories are Southern California, and the bodies are dropping. 4.5 stars.
Jmrathbone
Marshall Karp’s detectives, Lomax & Biggs, work out of Hollywood Division of the LAPD. I found this book to be entertaining, with some humor. Some of the humor was raunchy, but maybe that’s how LAPD cops really are. This is the second book about these two, The Rabbit Factory, being the first. I think I’ll read the first one
Maggie
Marshall Karp's Lomax & Biggs never disappoint!!! Hilarious, fast paced & left me scrambling to my favorite bookseller for #3 in this series (Flipping Out)!! I certainly hope this fun series continues on and on and on!! Murder, mayhem, madness.....all in LaLaLand -- who could ask for anything more?!! :)
Joanne Parkington
A cracking read from start to finish .. the joke's come fast, the chapter's are snappy & the story is brilliant .. the only thing is, having read Flipping Out first, is why those characters are not introduced here but .. nevermind.. it doesn't detract at all ... Marshall Karp make's crime fun.
Teena in Toronto
This is the second in the series of three.

I like mysteries and I enjoy Karp's comical writing style.

I didn't get a chance to figure out "whodunnit" because we find out about halfway ... but it's interesting to see the twists and turns before the end.

Definitely a series I'd recommend.
Randy Waite
I really do like Karp's sense of humor (probably because it's a bit like mine). Unlike other detective novels that fail in attempts at humor, Karp makes it work in his novels. I may be one of the few people who actually read author acknowledgments, but I do, and I even caught a bit of humor there.
Marsha
This is a follow up to "The Rabbit Factory". Told with much humor and sarcasm, this time Lomax and Briggs must hunt down the culprits exsanguinating a group of powerful and famous Hollywood types.

Perhaps it was just my mood but I found the story labored and formulaic.
Leslie
Nothing cheers my day like a "funny buddy cops" novel and Bloodthirsty made my day. Detectives Lomax & Biggs are in Hollywood working on another high profile murder with a cast of characters and loads of one-liners. Great quick read with murder..mayhem..and laughs.
  • Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2)
  • Casual Rex
  • January Kills Me
  • If Angels Fall
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Harbor Nocturne
  • Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)
  • The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels #1)
  • Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Living the Vida Lola (Lola Cruz Mystery, #1)
  • Veiled Passages (Mary O'Reilly, #10)
  • Lie Down with the Devil (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #12)
  • Cold Front (Pindone Files #1-3)
  • A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7)
  • Crashed (Junior Bender, #1)
  • Fun & Games
  • The Little Death
The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1) Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3) Cut, Paste, Kill (Lomax & Biggs, #4) Squabbles: A comedy in two acts Cartoon