Cake Girl

Cake Girl

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this bedazzling picture book for all seasons, a Witch is once again alone on her birthday. So she uses her powers to bake a Cake Girl to act as her servant for the day. She tells Cake Girl to sing and dance—and do all the housework! “And then,” says the Witch, “I’ll eat you.” But Cake Girl proves to be too clever a confection for such a fate, and she soon turns the tabl...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Lisa Vegan
Oct 15, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: birthday gifts; magic lovers; bullies; cat lovers; fans of wonderfully illustrated picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
My kind of Halloween book: sweet and a bit funny, but not really scary.

This would make a great birthday gift, because in the story, it is the witch’s birthday.

This would make a great book to discuss bullying, or friendship, because the witch is a bully, and friendless, until she learns a bit of a lesson about what it means to be a worthy friend.

This is good for cat lovers because of the last page.

And, of course, this makes a perfect Halloween read.

The illustrations are magical; they’re just wond...more
Kathryn
I was totally "bewitched" by this book ;-p It's so cute!!! The message is pretty obvious, but somehow it didn't bug me. It's so sweet how the lonely witch comes to realize that she has brought her friendless state upon herself by being so bossy and selfish--the Cake Girl first shows her what friendship can be and then gently helps her on the path to becoming a friendly witch. The illustrations are adorable and full of all the details I would have loved as a young girl--the sweetly-witchy Hallowe...more
David
Cake Girl by David Lucas is a story about a friendless, lonely witch that creates a birthday treat servant to work for her and then be devoured.

Once again alone on her birthday in her clutterd house, a witch uses her powers to bake a Cake Girl to act as her servant for the day. She tells Cake Girl to sing and dance, smile and make her laugh, and do all the housework! “And then,” says the Witch, “I’ll eat you.” Clever Cake Girl asks the witch about a birthday party. After the witch admits that s...more
Randie
A witch is alone on her birthday so she uses her magic to create Cake Girl. Cake Girl is the witch’s servant—cleaning, singing, dancing, and doing tricks on demand. Cake Girl helps the witch to learn that if you want others to like you and spend time with you, you have to be nice to them. After the witch learns this valuable lesson, her and Cake Girl have tons of fun and the witch’s birthday turns out to be the best birthday ever.

I appreciate the growth and change that Lucas planned for the witc...more
Crystal Marcos
Jun 15, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Halloween books, birthday books
Perfect book for a Halloween read or a birthday read. I read this one with my daughter and husband. The illustrations are colorful and Cake Girl was very cute.

A touching story about a lonely witch who magically creates Cake Girl so she wouldn't be alone on her birthday. Cake Girl is also very wise and she shows the witch a thing or two about being a true friend. A really fun little tale.
Dolly
Oct 12, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book was featured as one of the selections for the October 2011 Witches and Monsters-themed reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads. It's a good example of a witch story that has a Halloweenish-theme (evidenced by the color scheme and the jack-o'-lanterns in the yard), but is not specifically about the holiday. In fact, it's about birthdays and making (literally!) a friend.

It's a strange tale, to be sure, but the illustrations are magical and the sto...more
Asho
Here's another from the Cakes and Pies book bundle that also happens to be appropriate for this time of year as we are approaching Halloween. The book isn't specifically Halloween themed, although the drawings do feature jack-o-lanterns and the main character is a witch. The illustrations in this book are wild. They are brightly colored with tons of crazy patterns and something about the art makes it feel like everything is spinning. Perhaps the best way to describe it is "trippy." Honestly, I t...more
Meredith
Told with fantastic illustrations, a wicked green-faced witch bakes herself a girl made of cake to be a companion on her lonely birthday. The cake girl sings and dances at the witch's request. She makes the witch laugh and is ordered to clean her house. Things are going smoothly if not a bit melancholily until the witch tells her she intends to eat her once the cake girl is finished. But the cake girl cleverly outwits the wicked witch, the pair become friends, the cake girl is no longer made of...more
Jenny
The Witch wants some company on her birthday, so she bakes a cake girl and begins ordering her around. The cake girl points out that if the witch were nicer to her, then they could be friends and have fun together and they would both be happier. (nice lesson...but not told in a preachy way!) Bright, fun illustrations. My kids loved when the witch turned them both into fireworks. I liked the ending and last illustration the best.
A witch is lonely on her birthday, so she makes a girl out of cake. Although she is very mean to the cake girl, she is surprised not to be liked by her. There follows a conversation about what it means to be nice to someone (maybe..don't eat me?), and a friendship develops.
My five year old loved this book. I could see using it as a lesson on social skills if your class can get past the main character being a witch who uses magic.
Kris
This is the kind of book many young readers like - the story is very simple (witch makes girl out of cake, learns that instead of eating her, they could be friends), the art is whimsical, and the ending is cozy. As a grown-up, the simplicity didn't pull me in, but I could see it being a favorite of some kids, and for those times when we need a book about how to be a friend, this works. Nice.
Emma
A witch, sad because she has no friends, bakes a girl out of cake to spend time with her. When the witch ends up being mean to Cake Girl and then informs her she will be eaten, Cake Girl tries to convince the witch as to what true friendship means. Lovely illustrations. Warning: the cake teaches Cake Girl magic. Gasp!
Aileen
When a lonely witch makes a girl out of cake, she is confronted with herself. Cake girl takes risks and is rewarded with a good friend. A really sweet book, very thoughtful and fun to read to children. The illustrations are playful and original. Highly recommended.
Gwen the Librarian
This is the kind of story I loved as a child: a small story about a bad witch changing her ways because of a princess make of cake, accompanied by beautiful illustrations. Not a particularly original or wonderful story, but I enjoyed it anyway and children will too.
Greg Gormley
David Lucas manages to combine a straight forward writing style with a subtle and touching depth of feeling. All of his stories are classics; the decorative and poetic illustrations reflect his philosophy of life.
Paula
A witch who does not want to be alone on her birthday bakes a cake girl, who proceeds to show her how to have a wonderful time without being mean or threatening to eat anyone.
The Library Lady
A (sorry) delicious little story about a not-so-scary witch, complete with a happy ending. Sweet, but it's made with sugar, not saccharine.
Rachel
Love the complex illustrations with lots of patterns and symbols, story ends suddenly leaving the "moral" unclear.
Danielle
A really delightful story that I enjoyed reading to Alana (though I must admit that I didn't *love* the illustrations).
Anne
Sep 27, 2011 Anne added it
bought for school
will be fun to go with fairy tale books and when we read versions of the gingerbread man
Beth
I was digging this one until the witch threatened to eat cake girl. Then is just became bizzare.
Valerie
so cute - even with a witch and magic in it! Theme: witches, birthday, friends, food, fun.
Bookless00
I know many adults who should read this story and learn from the lessons within.
Tia
such a cute way to teach about friendship and kindness
Danielle
Charming story of how to be a friend.
Mudrik
Mudrik marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Lucas has written and illustrative several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.
More about David Lucas...
The Robot and the Bluebird Halibut Jackson The Skeleton Pirate The Lying Carpet Something to Do