Start by marking “Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle, #1)

Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle #1)

Zack Hartley is unlike any preacher the church has ever seen. When he visits the sick, instead of praying for them he hangs laundry, washes dishes, tends children. His inexperience and blunders, however, further encourage the young ladies in their obvious attempts to snare him. But Zack is hiding something.
Published June 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor's Puzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor's Puzzle

Sandy T
Jul 22, 2008 Sandy T rated it really liked it
Book Club read. A nice easy read. Especially enjoyable with the quilting references. I am looking forward to the next one in the series.
Michelle
Nov 08, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
An easy, wholesome read. I was delighted to know that in this book, the mother is a "matronly 40 year old". I guess I've found my title...

Cyndi
Apr 28, 2015 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Sweet book. Blends Christianity and quilting. Then mixes in some innocent romances.
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

Each new book by Judith Pella that I read disappoints me even more. Pella used to be one of my favorite authors. To this day I adore the Stonewyke books, the Russians series and a more recent series (the name of which escapes me).

In the past couple years I have read three of her other books, including this one, and found myself questioning why I like the above mentioned series so much.

From the beginning of the book I could predict the final outcome. Of course, a few o
Susan
Bachelor's Puzzle, first of the Patchwork Circle historical romance series, is set in 1882 Columbia County Oregon. Tiny Maintown looks forward to a new young pastor who is coming from New England. The town quilters decide to welcome him with a sampler quilt, made by the quilting bee and their daughters. The welcome quilt project becomes a competition to show off needlework skill and impress the new pastor, as many of the daughters hope to become his wife.

Drifter Zack Hartley is on the run from
Tamara Tilley
Jan 23, 2016 Tamara Tilley rated it really liked it
Shelves: judith-pella, own
The people of Maintown, Oregon, eagerly await the arrival of the new minister. And with his bachelor status, the women of Maintown waste no time putting the best foot forward of their marrying-age daughters. But Zack is no ordinary preacher. With his bumbling antics in both the pulpit and in front of his parishioners, he is sure they will quickly discover his secret. Knowing he’ll have to leave soon, before his deception is revealed, he struggles with his feelings towards a certain young woman. ...more
Victoria
I loved this book. it turned out perfectly in the end. I grew a bit tired of Ellie at times, but I really liked her once she confessed her love for Zack and became less annoying in her ways. I wouldn't exactly call them faults on her part though.

this is actually book one in a series by Judith Pella, I'm not sure how many more there are going to be since this was just released in July of this year, but this first book was delightful, and I cannot wait to see what else will unfold. I fell in love
Kimberly
May 08, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Shelves: gentle-reads
Cindy
Jun 03, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
The ladies in town are delighted - a new minister is on his way, and he's single. All the matchmaking mamas start a project to welcome him (and to showcase their daughter's homemaking skills) by sewing him a quilt to welcome him.

The newcomer is pretty overwhelmed. But he's not a minister. He's a small time crook, and he's on the run. On his way out of town, escaping an angry loan shark, he meets the real minister, injured and dying. He sits with the man until the end, then buries the unfortunate
Carolyn
Oct 20, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
It was a good story. I like how all the characters are very real, with attitudes and flaws and frustrations. They are all so well drawn! Often with inspirational types books, the characters are so annoyingly good! I have been a christian since I was a young girl, but I know I am certainly less than angelic. It can be discouraging when everyone you read about is either so good or so bad then turned good, when in reality, most of us are somewhere in the middle, though we strive for the best.
Jean Cowden
Sep 09, 2016 Jean Cowden rated it really liked it
Such a cute book. A rover and scalawg is running from someone who's trying to kill him. He runs across a dying minister and stays with him until he passes. He arrives in town with the ministers identity. He bumbles through sermons, gets caught up in answering questions wrong and has to smooth his answers over. Playing the part soon affects his heart. Falling in love with the people and one young girl makes him want to confess. Funny in spots, serious in parts, it was a good book.
Sonya
Because of the emphasis of the book, I would re-do the cover with a quilt pattern, plus the people....Then I would be expected what I got.
I do like quilts. But the book's descriptions of sewing the quilt squares and the various patterns were places I skimmed and bogged me down.

Judith presented an interesting plot and internal struggles on fulfilling that plot by the main characters.
Wendy
Mar 29, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
Christian fiction/Romance. This book is first in a new series (Patchwork Circle). Title is the name of a quilt block. At the end of the book, the author explains how to put together the quilt block.
Katie
Jul 04, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
The first book in Judith Pella's new series - not my favorite compared to her other series, but the stories are still good. I just had a harder time connecting with the characters and getting in the book than in other book by this author.
Karen Baney
Mar 17, 2011 Karen Baney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How refreshing to read about a less-than-perfect man who is caught between his past and wanting to do right. I really enjoyed this story. The story drew me in from the back cover copy and kept my interest through out. Another great book from Judith Pella.
Karen
Jan 12, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was refreshingly different from all the other women's Christian novels I've read. The characters are real and not always perfect. In fact, the Bachelor is hiding a dark secret. Judith Pella came up with a very clever plot for this romantic mystery.
Amy
Nov 01, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It was clever and kind of fun. I would have given it more stars if it had ended better. It ended kind of flat. But I didn't realize it was part of a series, so maybe it was trying to leave things open for the future.
Margaret Chind
Jun 27, 2008 Margaret Chind rated it liked it
Recommends it for: quilters
Four chapters in, and it was interesting. Just not fabulous, I have too much on my TBR list to read something I'm just not crazy about. With that said, if I see it on sale, I'm definitely buying it. Christian fiction with quilts and romance? I'm in.
Jana
Sep 18, 2007 Jana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
This book was solid and kept me glued to it's pages. I thought it would end in a predictable manner because the main character, Zack, was eventually cornered, but happily it did not and made me like the book even more.
Julie
Aug 05, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Light reading -- a Christian book with a lot of quilting in it. Predictable, but a good read for the genre.
Lauren
Oct 18, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
It was interesting although I kinda already figured out what was going to happen in the end in the very beginning...wasn't exactly surprised with the end.
Diana
Apr 01, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
Recommended to Diana by: Ginny
This was surprisingly a good book. Very cute and rather comical. I enjoyed the way the author portrayed the awkward situations, as well as the way she portrayed the faith of the book's characters.
Cassandra
Okay read. The plot was really interesting but the writing didn't seem inspired. The book wraps up very very quickly, almost too quickly I think.
Kami
Sep 30, 2010 Kami rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's a fun quick read. I like the character development and the interactions especially between the women of the small farming community. The plot is fun, but nothing earth shattering.
Rosamond
Dec 05, 2011 Rosamond rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-read
I love this book. The ending was a bit hurried and could have been developed better, but it was very good. A light, romantic read. The second book, Sister's Choice, is next on my list!
Veronica
Feb 13, 2015 Veronica rated it did not like it
This is one of those books that you can't put down but when you finish it you think, "What was that?." I was very disappointed. So many story threads, so few answers.
Ratforce
This series of novels combines your interest in historical fiction, inspirational fiction, romance, and crafting. This is the first book in the series, which is two books long so far.
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thursday's Child (A Day to Remember #4)
  • The Carousel Painter
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • On the Trail of the Truth (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #3)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
Judith Pella is a bestselling, award-winning author whose writing career spans two decades. Her in-depth historical and geographical research combines with her skillful storytelling to provide readers with dramatic, thought-provoking novels. She and her husband make their home in Scapoose, Oregon.
More about Judith Pella...

Patchwork Circle (2 books)
  • Sister's Choice (Patchwork Circle, #2)