Start by marking “One of Those Malibu Nights” as Want to Read:
One of Those Malibu Nights

One of Those Malibu Nights (Mac Reilly #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  712 ratings  ·  83 reviews
It was just one of those Malibu nights, dark as a velvet shroud, creamy waves crashing onto the shore, breeze soft as a kitten's breath . . .

But when private investigator to the stars Mac Riley hears the sound of a woman's scream over the crashing waves, his low-key beach-bum lifestyle is changed forever. A beautiful, distraught woman wearing only a black lace negligee sta
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One of Those Malibu Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One of Those Malibu Nights

Adam
Post Listen Review: Listening to this was torturous. I vowed not to skip any audiobooks on the library shelf so I could hear them all but it was a struggle to finish this one. As I was listening I realized it isn't just a bad story but the people in it are awful people. I state my case below.

Why Sonny (the main female protagonist) is an awful girlfriend: She contemplates her "coral pink toenails and her life". That is someone way too shallow to hang around. She plays into strict female stereotyp
Patrícia
Perdida na paradisíaca costa californiana, abandonada à popularidade da fama e do dinheiro, Malibu é uma terra rica em personalidades importantes e excêntricas. Talvez por isso, não é surpresa nenhuma quando o crime conjugal e político serve de mote a uma série de viagens tanto belas quanto arrojadas. O perigo está à espreita, e esta recente dupla de detectives não logrará a meios para descobrir o verdadeiro culpado de uma sucessão de infortúnios pessoais.

«De Malibu, Com Amor» trata-se de mais u
Patty
You know how in the typical PI/adventure book they are racing around solving cases and facing dangers and somehow have time for a little romance, but definitely not for anything else? In this one, even when they've agreed to keep the damsel in distress safe from the imminent threats of the bad guys, they find time to make complex dinners, relax and watch the sunset, and have a long lunch at some out of the way restaurant.

The suspension of belief quotient is especially high with regards to travel
Lisa Kay
Not a lot of depth to these characters, but I liked it enough to continue with the series. (view spoiler) Pretty good narration by Julie Briskman on the audiobook. ...more
Suzanne Auckerman
Second book by this author, which I would classify as chick lit mysteries. I hope there is not another one in audiobooks. They are okay, but I am way beyond needing all the characters to be drop dead gorgeous.
Kira
I tend to really like Elizabeth Adler's novels, especially in recent years, but this one didn't do it for me. Halfway through I felt like I was totally lost, and the excitement of the story was gone.
Ivonne
Tomei conhecimento deste livro através da divulgação de outros blogues. Os que lêem as opiniões que formulo, sabem que dou primazia à capa e à sinopse e ambas agradaram-me soberanamente. Aliás, as capas portuguesas desta autora são simplesmente “de comer e chorar por mais”.

Os capítulos pequenos permitem uma leitura rápida, mas confesso que demorei um pouco mais do que habitual. Pura e simplesmente, por preguiça.

Adorei as descrições leves sobre os locais geográficos paradísiacos (Malibu, Franç
Joana
Em "De Malibu, Com Amor" o detective privado, mas famoso, Mac Reilly e a sua namorada Sunny Alvarez encabeçam a acção, assim como os seus respectivos chiens, Pirate e Tesoro, que tal como os donos, são o oposto de cada, não tendo nenhum ponto em comum, à excepção do casal cujo amor é palpável à distância.
Sendo a minha estreia nesta autora, penso que não poderia ter escolhido melhor!
Esta obra é uma mescla de emoções, que cativa desde a primeira página.
Com romance e policial... com sensualidade e
Ruth
c2008: FWFTB: vineyards, France, actress, husband, missing. If you are having one of 'those days' eg a bad hair day/week/month - do yourself a favour and do not read this book. Wait until you are in a good place. All the characters are impossibly handsome and impossibly charming. I think that the synopsis is a little misleading in that there was not too much involving the 'beaches of Mexico' and I'm not sure when they were ever 'one step ahead of an actress who wants nothing more to get lost'. T ...more
Lauren
While this is the 1st story in the Sunny & Mac series, it is my 2nd read of the authors and well as my 2nd read of the series. I read the 2nd book 1st without realizing it.

While this book was a nice light mystery chic lit style read, it just does not compare to the story quality of the 2nd book in the series, so I have to give it 3 stars, which for me is liked it (4 = love and 5 = phenomenal). It was nice to read the history and get the establishment for the Sunny & Mac storyline but qui
Brandise
liked it but wished there was more about the ally ray story line
Filipa
De Malibu, Com Amor é um livro que marca um novo quarteto da autora Elizabeth Adler. Tenho acompanhado os lançamentos desta autora e fico contente que continuem a publicar os romances dela, que oferecem entretenimento e são leituras leves perfeitas para acompanhar o verão. Em vez de termos uma sinopse, temos praticamente um resumo da obra pelo que não vale a pena estar a repetir as mesmas coisas na minha opinião só porque sim. Por isso mesmo, começo por dizer que já sabia muito bem o que esperar ...more
Book Concierge
1.5*

Adler writes romantic suspense / chick-lit. This is the first in her Mac Reilly / Sunny Alvarez series. Mac is a private investigator with a Malibu beach bungalow, a one-eyed mutt named Pirate, and a reality crime-investigation TV show. His girlfriend Sunny just wants him to propose. While out for an evening stroll on the beach, he hears a woman scream and nearly gets shot when he runs to investigate. Before he knows it, however, he’s got multiple clients in the rich-and-famous Hollywood jet
Filipa

Este foi o primeiro livro que li desta autora, apesar de conhecer outros dela por os ter visto tantas vezes nas livrarias, e só posso dizer que não foi um bom começo. Eu não detestei o livro, mas cheguei a um ponto em que estava cansada de o ler. O Mac e a Sunny eram completamente irritantes, juntos e separados. A única pessoa que realmente gostei no livro foi Ally e apetecia-me ler mais dela e da sua viagem de redescoberta no pequeno restaurante no sul de
Paula pccst
Apesar de, por várias vezes, me terem aconselhado livros de Elizabeth Adler, a oportunidade nunca tinha surgido, até agora.
"De Malibu, com amor" revelou-se um livro muito interessante e agradável.
Tenho que começar pela capa, muito bonita e chamativa, com a praia e flores. Acaba por ser um pouco injusto, porque há excelentes livros por trás de capas menos interessantes, mas devo confessar que a capa é um dos motivos que me faz escolher um livro.
O título é sugestivo, e apresenta-nos, de antemão
Elphaba J
De Malibu, Com Amor é mais uma viagem mágica através das palavras de uma autora capaz de proporcionar as mais belas descrições que, facilmente, envolvem o leitor em cenários edílicos fazendo-o suspirar pelo seu próprio lugar de sonho.
Fortemente influenciado pelo género policial e com dois protagonistas excepcionais, este livro apresenta-nos vários cenários de acção onde a paixão e o crime são predominantes na procura do único tipo de felicidade que o dinheiro não pode comprar.

Mac e Sunny são doi
Leah Kautz
A weekend camping trip, and out come the guilty pleasures!

This one is definitely a typical guilty pleasure (or as the BF would say, some good fluff....though he would NEVER call it good, lol!). This book is very lighthearted, even for a mystery, as the the fun, playful human interactions are well balanced with the suspense and intrigue. The interwoven story lines also made this enjoyable, though on a few occasions I felt the number of people who seem to come to the same private investigator, unb
Susan
One of Those Malibu Nights, first book in the Mac Reilly series, is set in modern-day Malibu, Baja California, Palm Springs, Rome, Cannes, and the French countryside. The story's characters belong to the "jet set": Hollywood stars and moguls, millionaires with mansions, and the people who work for them. Protagonist Mac Reilly is a television actor private eye. His girlfriend Sunny (Sonora Sky Coto de Alvarez) wishes Mac would propose.

Mac lives in a Malibu Colony bungalow with his dog Pirate, re
Marta
Lots of people don't like this one too much because they are wishing for more suspense and action. However, for anyone looking for an escape with likable characters in a fantastic location, this is it. Mac and Sunny have delicious, old fashioned chemistry. They are fun.
Taylor
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't realize I had read the 3rd book in this series, It All Began in Monte Carlo until I started remembering the names of the characters. (I thought they sounded familiar...ha!) I enjoyed the suspense of the story (not too gory or extreme), I enjoyed the characters. I really just enjoyed it all. I would definitely recommend this as a great summer read.
Ana Fernandes
Desta vez a viagem foi até Malibu :)
Não achei assim nada de extraordinário, quando comparada com a Lua de Mel em Paris ou viagem a Capri.
Mas deu para viajar até Malibu, nem que seja através das descrições feitas :)
Beth Britnell
Clumsy writing and tried too hard to be a travelogue. Sunny started out seeming fierce and independent, then turned into a weak girl desperate for marriage.
Lynda
Couldn't finish reading this! Just too superficial and I couldn't spend time on such nonsense. Too bad, it seemed promising!
Paula Hatch
I loved this mystery/romance story! It was well written - I enjoy the authors writing style.
Michael crage
Really enjoyed the book. Enough twists and turns that you kept thinking
Mam
Didn't finish - should have looked a little closer before downloading.
Becki
A good time killer but nothing really to recommend it.
Joyce
A quick read. Note as good as some others I've read. This author writes about exotic places with mystery and romance. A light beach read.
Odette
Des longueurs, mais se lit bien.
Nicole Jacob
What attracted me to this book was the mystery/investigation... since I seem to be drawn to that.
And I thought, crime with an undertone of romance... PERFECT.

Except no.

The mystery involves a triangle of people who are in love with someone and think that another person is after them/following them/out to get them.
The romance consisted of two flat characters trying to convince each other they really love each other.

The only thing attractive about this book was the cover and the idea of this M
  • Alma Rebelde
  • Bonkers
  • Voyage of Innocence
  • Um Dia Naquele Inverno
  • The Space Between Us
  • Villa Serena
  • Happy Ever After
  • Käärmeenlumooja (Faunoidit, #1)
  • Rsvp
  • Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3)
  • El cuarto Arcano. El puerto de las tormentas (El Cuarto Arcano #2)
  • A Persistência da Memória
  • Anatomia dos Mártires
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • Saving Savannah (Tante Lulu Adventure, #0.5)
  • The Bells of Bournville Green
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • The Cornish House
203833
Born in Yorkshire, North England, Elizabeth Adler met her husband Richard (an American) while both were working in London. They have lived in England, Ireland, France, Brazil, and the United States and have traveled extensively. They have one daughter and live in Palm Springs, California. Her first novel, Private Desires (also titled Leonie), launched an enormously successful writing career, she a ...more
More about Elizabeth Adler...

Mac Reilly (4 books)
  • There's Something About St. Tropez
  • It All Began in Monte Carlo
  • From Barcelona, with Love
Please Don't Tell Summer in Tuscany Sailing to Capri Fortune is a Woman The House in Amalfi