Start by marking “A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story ” as Want to Read:
A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story

A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story" Second Edition is a humorous stand-alone memoir of Bunkie, the yellow Labrador Retriever wonder dog. This memoir was penned by Bunkie's owner and buddy Charles Frankin Emery III (or just Chuck to those folks that know him). This book deals with the travails and blessings that our furry compatriots impart to our lives.
Paperback, Second Edition, 105 pages
Published July 14th 2009 by Bunkiedog Press (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Man and His Maniac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man and His Maniac

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
357th out of 394 books — 533 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosie Souter
Jul 28, 2012 Rosie Souter rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It had me laughing, and in tears! It reminds me of a well behaved version of the book "Marley and Me!" A definite must read for any dog lover!
BookMarc
Apr 15, 2010 BookMarc rated it it was ok
The first thing I noticed about this book is that there is no colon after 'Maniac' on the front cover but then again maybe I'm just being an ass. The second thing I noticed was that it retails for $9.99 but only has about ninety sparsely filled pages...luckily for me I won a copy of this book and price wasn't a factor. It's officially listed as having 106 pages, which it does, but a bunch of those are blank and are intended for notes. These pages appear at the end of chapters but sometimes they ...more
Kristin
Jan 20, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This was my first eBook experience (despite that the listing is for the paperback), got it for free on the Nook from Barnes and Noble. A Man and His Maniac reminded me of an abridged version of Merle's Door, another book I highly enjoyed. Emery included the Bunkie stories in another book of his, about his family and life experiences in general, but created a new work for those specifically interested in just the period of his life with the dog, thus the short length of the piece.
Anyone who owns
Suzi Andrade
Mar 14, 2014 Suzi Andrade rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It literally was laugh out loud funny. The author obviously loved his dog greatly and they had tons of great (and not so great!) adventures together. Pick it up - it's a quick read!
Dianna
Mar 05, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The true story of the love between a man and his dog. He shared the joys of having the dog in his life. He also shared the loss when it was time to put his beloved friend down.

Annette
A collection of short stories about a man and his dog. Some were funny, some were touching, and some made me want to slug the author for allowing his "beloved" pet into the situations he was in (like letting the dog ride in the back of a pick up--grr). Owning two yellow labs myself, I can totally relate to many of the stories he told. I enjoyed his hunting stories the most as they remind me of our hunting dog.

My irritation with the author's bad decisions made me rate this at 3 stars instead of
Sheila
Feb 02, 2010 Sheila rated it liked it
Recommended to Sheila by: http://winningreadings.blogspot.com/
Shelves: dog-books, bgw
A very quick read about a man's life with his dog. The book preface tells us that the contents of this book were taken out of another book by the same author called "Dad, Dog, and Fish". Apparently this book takes just the chapters about the dog Bunkie, and puts them into one chronologically ordered book as a pet memoir.
This book is a nice way for the author to memorialize his dog. I have to admit though that I am amazed that old Bunkie lived into his teen years, since he had so many accidents a
Helen
Aug 30, 2012 Helen rated it liked it

One of many books about an dog who has 'character'. This is from a much longer story about Charles life. If you have ver had a dog which you love more than life itself, that had real character it's worth a read. Heartbreaking of course, because there can never be a happy ending but the joy and pleasure from Bunkie and dogs like him will live on.
Gmr
Jan 11, 2010 Gmr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pet lovers and animal lovers everywhere!
This is the life and adventures of one man and his loveable pup. While sometimes crazy and more often than not heart stopping (so many accidents for one dog!), you will walk away with a greater appreciation of your dog (or pet) and the loving bond you share. Happy reading!
Marilyn
If you have an unusually energetic dog, you need to read this. I loved this story of Bunkie. Being a dog lover, I can understand Mr Emerys feelings and his decisions. Thank god my dog is not like Bunkie and even if he was I couldn't love him less.
Vicki
Sep 20, 2009 Vicki rated it really liked it
For anyone who loves dogs...this is an adorable book !!! It is a small book that is quick to read but Bunkie latches onto your heart immediately and never lets go.... My only wish is that there had been even more Bunkie adventures.
Jeannie Tremblay
Jan 18, 2013 Jeannie Tremblay rated it it was amazing
I read this book in less than two hours -- it's a very quick read and I loved it. I do love book about dogs; I found this one very heartwarming and I will admit that I did cry! If you're a dog lover, read it -- you won't be disappointed!
Martha
Jul 07, 2012 Martha rated it liked it
Sweet book, a bit scattered towards the end like the author wanted to get some wisdom in towards the end but fun stories none the less. Nothing like a dog to make you love him even when he lays mountains of crap on the floor.
Chris
Mar 01, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
I am always a soft touch for anyone who loves animals. There were some sweet moments, but the writing could use some polish.
M
Apr 12, 2012 M rated it it was amazing
short, sweet yet satisfying. Getting to know Bunkie was a wonderful treat. the tears came unexpectedly.
Kristi
Jun 18, 2012 Kristi rated it liked it
a very sweet book ;) I am a dog person and this book mad me laugh and love my pups more!
Kayleigh Slater
Aug 21, 2015 Kayleigh Slater rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Such a cute little story! If you love dogs, definitely read!
Donna Roush
Aug 23, 2012 Donna Roush rated it it was amazing
A great short read. At one point I was laughing so hard I cried.
Betsyt
Jul 08, 2012 Betsyt rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Cute. Short, entertaining read if you like dog stories
Susan Kiel
Jan 05, 2012 Susan Kiel rated it really liked it
You will only get it if you have loved...
Janene
Angela
Angela added it
Jul 23, 2016
Elaine Willett
Elaine Willett rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Gail
Gail added it
Jan 16, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charles Franklin Emery III was born in Los Angeles, California in 1956. He joined the US Navy Submarine force in 1977 and spent the following six years on Fast Attack and Fleet Ballistic Missile submarines as a Sonar Technician and Sonar Supervisor. He forged a career in commercial Nuclear Power and is now a Consulting Engineer to various electric utilities. He is an avid fisherman. Drag Racing is ...more
More about Charles F. Emery III...