Start by marking “Le paludi di Hesperia” as Want to Read:
Le paludi di Hesperia

Le paludi di Hesperia

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Il lutto e il dolore funestano il ritorno degli Achei dopo la caduta di Troia. Su Aiace Oileo si abbatte l'ira di Poseidone; Agamennone muore per mano di Egisto e Klitemnestra; Ulisse deve affrontare interminabili peregrinazioni. E Diomede, tradito e odiato dalla moglie, è costretto a fuggire da Argo e a cercare nelle inospitali regioni di Hesperia una nuova patria per sé ...more
Published 1994 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about Le paludi di Hesperia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le paludi di Hesperia

Jane
Manfredi himself states he wanted to tell the story, not of the Trojan War itself, but of the aftermath and of the fates of many of the combatants and others, covering the period between the The Iliad and the The Odyssey and after the The Aeneid. In his faux epic, I think he has succeeded for the most part. I called this a faux epic, because the author's prose lacked the majesty of the Homeric or Virgilian poetry. An unnamed 'foreigner' tells us of Diomedes, King of Argos, one of the Greeks who ...more
Gordon Doherty
An atmospheric, dark and at times bleak tale of men surviving the aftermath of the Trojan War.

The story pivots around Diomedes of Argos and his retinue as they find that they cannot return to their Greek dominion and are forced to sail west. The author dramatises the collapse of the Bronze Age Aegean world well as the various city states attempt to recover from the ten years of the Trojan War. A picture of inescapable destruction is painted with the Dorian Greeks pouring south to devastate the
Jeremy
If someone had've suggested to me, before reading this book, that an author could come along and successfully marry Homeric poetic style and atmosphere with modern ancient-historical fiction, I would've been sceptical. But this book does it. A simply fantastic yarn that manages to cross a boundary into inspiring literature occasionally. Although I get the point of a previous reviewer regarding a pre-knowledge of Homer, I'm not sure it is a must. I think it certainly adds to the experience, but I ...more
George Petrellis
in the beginning i had trouble getting the way the writer presented the events but as i continued i was totally gripped. the characters always surprised me by showing a new side of themselves and got really moved by the courage the passion and the sensitivity shown by the big heros and from minor ones as well. the atmosphere is great and the book tries to fill the blanks historians have left not in a very persuasive way but nonetheless fascinating to read.
by Ax
Sbiadito

Fulcro di questo romanzo è Diomede, uno degli ultimi eroi achei nella Guerra di Troia, il cui destino lo vede reietto nella città del suo ritorno dove è (era) Re, Argo, e costretto ad abbandonarla per intraprendere un viaggio che lo porterà in Italia.
Manfredi ha qui l'occasione per raccontarci una storia di ampio respiro facendoci rivivere le emozioni di una situazione difficile e affascinante, ma non riesce a infondere il giusto mordente, dando vita a personaggi poco incisivi e che, com
Carolien
What a disappointment. I really thought this would be a good read but my oh my was I wrong. The sudden switches of viewpoints, the not-quite-Homeric way of writing and the horrifying metaphors for people dying at the end of practically every chapter were all slightly ridiculous, really.
Abc123
The writing is dull and unimaginative. The book was aslo very boring, because it didnt lead anywere. Its just a repeat al the time. They walk throug a swamp, take women as slaves x10. The last 3 chapters were actually intresstning. The writing is dull and unimaginative.
Bernarducho
Apr 20, 2014 Bernarducho rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bernarducho by: Goodreads
If you're reading it for historical curiosity, go ahead.
If you like good stories, don't.

The author tries too hard to interweave existing stories and myths into a comprehensive story. And it doesn't turn out well. For this particular fan of Diomedes, it was heartbreaking.
Fede
Ne Le Paludi di Hesperia V.M. Manfredi decide invece di trattare il mondo greco, in particolare gli eventi successivi alla guerra di Troia, su cui non si sa molto. Ho trovato interessante la spiegazione che Manfredi offre per lo scoppio di questa terribile guerra, presentando sotto una nuova luce il coinvolgimento di Elena. Ma, nonostante questo grande punto a suo favore, il racconto dal punto di vista di Diomede diventava spesso un po' pesante. Un libro gradevole, in ogni caso
Jaclynn
What an odd book. It took me halfway through to become engaged. I like the premise, telling the story of the aftermath of the Trojan War. But the author assumed that we readers knew every character and every battle from Troy, and jumped into the story without giving any background information. I had to spend some time on google to figure out who I was reading about. I love Manfredi's Alexander series, but this book fell short for me.
G.Claudio
Triste, malinconico... cos come "L'ultima legione" racconta, sullo sfondo, la fine della civilt romana, in questo libro viene narrata la fine della civilt greca, attraverso quella dell'ultimo eroe omerico... Ecco, lo metto nella schiera dei "godibili, ma non troppo". Altro libro che si fa leggere tranquillamente, ma che non mi ha colpito molto... Manfredi ci ha regalato opere decisamente superiori ...more
Katie Grainger
I was really disappointed with this book I have read The Last Legion and really loved it. This book felt like it was written by a different author I had real trouble getting into it and it wasn't until I got to near the end that I realised I had not enjoyed the whole book. I would recommend The Last Legion over this.
Alex G.
Yet another great novel from Manfredi! As well as being really accurate and linked to the ancient texts, the storyline is a new adventure in itself, in the tradition of Homeric epic. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the big finale - which I was far from expecting !
Jak
Having enjoyed many other Manfredi books and Greek mythology Manfredi setting one of his books around the Trojan war should have been a slam dunk for 5 starts. Yet the book labours, doesn’t feel cohesive and failed to deliver either excitement or spectacle.
Munaya Al salhee
I'm not gonna finish this book, I already DNF'd.
1- I didn't feel the emotion of the characters.
2- I didn't feel drawn to the story.
3- I felt it's like a cliché story for me.
And I didn't even finish the FIRST CHAPTER. I just can't read it.
Fabio
Aug 09, 2011 Fabio added it
una noia di libro. Ha scritto di meglio.

sul genere meglio "lo scudo di talos" o "Il tiranno" (forse uno dei migliori).

Non perdete empo con questo libro

Jamie Bruce
As others have noted, this book is really grind-down brutal from start to finish. If you like a narrative where the good guy catches a break at some point, this is not the book for you.
Gateacre
A very bleak take on the Homeric epic with a very unique style. Certainly qualifies as something different; recommended if you like your Homer!
Elli
Hard brutal story. The Greeks had decimated the Trojans..but more dreadful is lingering hope.
Petrina
Set in the aftermath of Troy, I found this an interesting spin on the Odyessey/Iliad/Aenid.
didnt finish it :( and i had to give it back to the librarian

wasnt that good though
Zwart487
The past is inspiring.We should do something about the present!
Keiron
Picked it up again recently for a little light reading
Tanvir Muntasim
A historical take on the myths of Homer.
Gianfranco Di Campli
tra i miei preferiti dell'autore
Karen Davies
Karen Davies marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
PaleHorsemen
PaleHorsemen is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Valentina Desiante
Valentina Desiante is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
  • The Return from Troy
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
  • Memnon
  • King of Ithaca
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • The Isle of Stone: A Novel of Ancient Sparta
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • La luce di Orione
  • L'enfant de Bruges
  • Attila: The Judgement (Attila Trilogy #3)
  • The Black Pharaoh
  • Manituana
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • The Mosaic Crimes (Dante Alighieri, #2)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
Valerio Massimo Manfredi (born 1943) is an Italian historian, writer, archaeologist and journalist. He was born in Piumazzo di Castelfranco Emilia, province of Modena and is married to Christine Fedderson Manfredi, who translates his published works from Italian to English. They have two children and live in a small town near Bologna.
Valerio Massimo Manfredi defines himself as an "Ancient World To
More about Valerio Massimo Manfredi...
Alexander: Child of a Dream (Aléxandros, #1) The Last Legion The Sands of Ammon (Aléxandros, #2) The Ends of the Earth (Aléxandros, #3) Spartan