Start by marking “Le paludi di Hesperia” as Want to Read:
Le paludi di Hesperia

Le paludi di Hesperia

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  624 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Il lutto e il dolore funestano il ritorno degli Achei dopo la caduta di Troia. Su Aiace Oileo si abbatte l'ira di Poseidone; Agamennone muore per mano di Egisto e Klitemnestra; Ulisse deve affrontare interminabili peregrinazioni. E Diomede, tradito e odiato dalla moglie, è costretto a fuggire da Argo e a cercare nelle inospitali regioni di Hesperia una nuova patria per sé ...more
Published 1994 by Mondadori (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Le paludi di Hesperia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le paludi di Hesperia

Jane
Manfredi himself states he wanted to tell the story, not of the Trojan War itself, but of the aftermath and of the fates of many of the combatants and others, covering the period between the The Iliad and the The Odyssey and after the The Aeneid. In his faux epic, I think he has succeeded for the most part. I called this a faux epic, because the author's prose lacked the majesty of the Homeric or Virgilian poetry. An unnamed 'foreigner' tells us of Diomedes, King of Argos, one of the Greeks who ...more
Gordon Doherty
An atmospheric, dark and at times bleak tale of men surviving the aftermath of the Trojan War.

The story pivots around Diomedes of Argos and his retinue as they find that they cannot return to their Greek dominion and are forced to sail west. The author dramatises the collapse of the Bronze Age Aegean world well as the various city states attempt to recover from the ten years of the Trojan War. A picture of inescapable destruction is painted with the Dorian Greeks pouring south to devastate the
George Petrellis
in the beginning i had trouble getting the way the writer presented the events but as i continued i was totally gripped. the characters always surprised me by showing a new side of themselves and got really moved by the courage the passion and the sensitivity shown by the big heros and from minor ones as well. the atmosphere is great and the book tries to fill the blanks historians have left not in a very persuasive way but nonetheless fascinating to read.
Jaclynn
What an odd book. It took me halfway through to become engaged. I like the premise, telling the story of the aftermath of the Trojan War. But the author assumed that we readers knew every character and every battle from Troy, and jumped into the story without giving any background information. I had to spend some time on google to figure out who I was reading about. I love Manfredi's Alexander series, but this book fell short for me.
by Ax
Aug 24, 2014 by Ax rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storico
Sbiadito

Fulcro di questo romanzo è Diomede, uno degli ultimi eroi achei nella Guerra di Troia, il cui destino lo vede reietto nella città del suo ritorno dove è (era) Re, Argo, e costretto ad abbandonarla per intraprendere un viaggio che lo porterà in Italia.
Manfredi ha qui l'occasione per raccontarci una storia di ampio respiro facendoci rivivere le emozioni di una situazione difficile e affascinante, ma non riesce a infondere il giusto mordente, dando vita a personaggi poco incisivi e che, com
Eredi Atlantide
Romanzo ben scritto e d'atmosfera, capace di rievocare l'incombere dei tempi oscuri del medioevo ellenico dopo i fasti dei re-guerrieri micenei e la fine dei 10 anni di guerra sotto le mura di Troia.
Il senso oppressivo di un fato malevolo e inevitabile, da vera tragedia greca, è sempre presente e anche se la storia può essere compresa e goduta appieno solo da chi ha un minimo di cultura classica, il pathos del romanzo è la caratteristica che più lo rende interessante.
Belle anche le descrizioni d
Carolien
Nov 29, 2014 Carolien rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. I really thought this would be a good read but my oh my was I wrong. The sudden switches of viewpoints, the not-quite-Homeric way of writing and the horrifying metaphors for people dying at the end of practically every chapter were all slightly ridiculous, really.
Bernarducho
Apr 20, 2014 Bernarducho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bernarducho by: Goodreads
If you're reading it for historical curiosity, go ahead.
If you like good stories, don't.

The author tries too hard to interweave existing stories and myths into a comprehensive story. And it doesn't turn out well. For this particular fan of Diomedes, it was heartbreaking.
Jeremy
If someone had've suggested to me, before reading this book, that an author could come along and successfully marry Homeric poetic style and atmosphere with modern ancient-historical fiction, I would've been sceptical. But this book does it. A simply fantastic yarn that manages to cross a boundary into inspiring literature occasionally. Although I get the point of a previous reviewer regarding a pre-knowledge of Homer, I'm not sure it is a must. I think it certainly adds to the experience, but I ...more
Sana Zameer
Dec 24, 2015 Sana Zameer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book was a nice blend of History and mythology. The sudden switching of POV's was baffling. At times the book just dragged on and the prose was a bit languid. Still it has some great parts in between.
Fede
Jul 15, 2014 Fede rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ne Le Paludi di Hesperia V.M. Manfredi decide invece di trattare il mondo greco, in particolare gli eventi successivi alla guerra di Troia, su cui non si sa molto. Ho trovato interessante la spiegazione che Manfredi offre per lo scoppio di questa terribile guerra, presentando sotto una nuova luce il coinvolgimento di Elena. Ma, nonostante questo grande punto a suo favore, il racconto dal punto di vista di Diomede diventava spesso un po' pesante. Un libro gradevole, in ogni caso
Eve
Jul 04, 2015 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Conjura de las Reinas es en principio, un gran libro de Manfredi. El destino de los reyes participantes de la guerra de Troya logra atrapar con una fuerza tal que es difícil soltar el libro.También es interesante como el autor logra completar la historia y crear un "lado B" de hechos mundialmente conocidos.
A juicio personal, lo único que me desencantó fue el final, cerrado a las apuradas y demasiado débil comparado al resto del libro.
Pritesh Patil
Jul 13, 2015 Pritesh Patil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this book formerly known as the Talisman of Troy after a long time and it still managed to hold my attention till the end. Weaving a tapestry of mythology and history, Valerio creates magic through his words and brings the despairing situation of Diomedes alive, which coupled with his ever-hopeful attitude until the very end makes the scenes come alive, taking the reader on a ride through the mists of history and time.
G.Claudio
Triste, malinconico... cos come "L'ultima legione" racconta, sullo sfondo, la fine della civilt romana, in questo libro viene narrata la fine della civilt greca, attraverso quella dell'ultimo eroe omerico... Ecco, lo metto nella schiera dei "godibili, ma non troppo". Altro libro che si fa leggere tranquillamente, ma che non mi ha colpito molto... Manfredi ci ha regalato opere decisamente superiori ...more
Alenka
Sep 03, 2015 Alenka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting after-story of the events at Troy.
Katie Grainger
Aug 03, 2011 Katie Grainger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed with this book I have read The Last Legion and really loved it. This book felt like it was written by a different author I had real trouble getting into it and it wasn't until I got to near the end that I realised I had not enjoyed the whole book. I would recommend The Last Legion over this.
Alex G.
Sep 03, 2012 Alex G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great novel from Manfredi! As well as being really accurate and linked to the ancient texts, the storyline is a new adventure in itself, in the tradition of Homeric epic. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the big finale - which I was far from expecting !
Abc123
Aug 24, 2015 Abc123 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is dull and unimaginative. The book was aslo very boring, because it didnt lead anywere. Its just a repeat al the time. They walk throug a swamp, take women as slaves x10. The last 3 chapters were actually intresstning. The writing is dull and unimaginative.
Jak
Oct 05, 2009 Jak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed many other Manfredi books and Greek mythology Manfredi setting one of his books around the Trojan war should have been a slam dunk for 5 starts. Yet the book labours, doesn’t feel cohesive and failed to deliver either excitement or spectacle.
Munaya Al salhee
Apr 14, 2015 Munaya Al salhee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I'm not gonna finish this book, I already DNF'd.
1- I didn't feel the emotion of the characters.
2- I didn't feel drawn to the story.
3- I felt it's like a cliché story for me.
And I didn't even finish the FIRST CHAPTER. I just can't read it.
Jamie Bruce
As others have noted, this book is really grind-down brutal from start to finish. If you like a narrative where the good guy catches a break at some point, this is not the book for you.
Gateacre
A very bleak take on the Homeric epic with a very unique style. Certainly qualifies as something different; recommended if you like your Homer!
Fabio
Apr 17, 2015 Fabio rated it did not like it
Una noia di libro. Ha scritto di meglio.
Sul genere meglio "lo scudo di talos" o "Il tiranno" (quest'ultimo forse uno dei migliori).
Non perdete tempo con questo libro
Elli
Nov 16, 2013 Elli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard brutal story. The Greeks had decimated the Trojans..but more dreadful is lingering hope.
Petrina
Aug 22, 2011 Petrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Set in the aftermath of Troy, I found this an interesting spin on the Odyessey/Iliad/Aenid.
Ujval Shah
Sep 02, 2013 Ujval Shah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
... Beautifully Written...

May 21, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didnt finish it :( and i had to give it back to the librarian

wasnt that good though
Zwart487
Jun 02, 2007 Zwart487 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The past is inspiring.We should do something about the present!
Keiron
Apr 19, 2009 Keiron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up again recently for a little light reading
Tanvir Muntasim
A historical take on the myths of Homer.
  • The Return from Troy
  • Manituana
  • Mater terribilis
  • L'enfant de Bruges
  • The Black Pharaoh
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Mosaic Crimes (Dante Alighieri, #2)
  • I grandi miti greci
  • Il Consiglio d'Egitto
  • Hot Valley: A Novel
  • King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)
  • L'ottava vibrazione
  • An Elephant for Aristotle
Valerio Massimo Manfredi (born 1943) is an Italian historian, writer, archaeologist and journalist. He was born in Piumazzo di Castelfranco Emilia, province of Modena and is married to Christine Fedderson Manfredi, who translates his published works from Italian to English. They have two children and live in a small town near Bologna.
Valerio Massimo Manfredi defines himself as an "Ancient World To
More about Valerio Massimo Manfredi...