Start by marking “And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)” as Want to Read:
And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)

And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,689 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Supremely sensible Emmaline Dove wishes to share her etiquette expertise with London's readers, and as secretary to Viscount Marlowe, Emma knows she's in the perfect position to make her dream come true. Marlowe might be a rake with a preference for can-can dancers and an aversion to matrimony, but he is also the city's leading publisher, and Emma is convinced he's her bes ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about And Then He Kissed Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then He Kissed Her

Content warning: spoilers, swearing, & gifs.

This book sucked. Usually I can find something positive to say about a book...but I'll be damned if that's the case for this one.

Frankly, I'm at a loss.

The hero (Harry) was boring & indistinguishable from other generic woobie-rake romance heroes, but he could've been worse. I didn't hate him, at least -- which is more than can be said for the heroine, Miss Emma Dove.

Here's a sentence I'll probably regret typing, but...

Let's talk about Miss Dov
Sandra
Feb 04, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, favorites
Emmaline (Emma) Dove works for Harry Marlowe as his secretary. She's worked for him for five years. But what she really wants to be is a published writer. She has written a book on etiquette expertise and has had it rejected by Harry four times. (Harry is a publisher of Marlowe Publishings, owns several newspapers, and has a weekly periodical called "The Bachelor's Guide".) So Emma rewrites her book and gives it to Harry again, and he rejects it again. (It seems that Harry finds the topic of eti ...more
Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

This is an entertaining, delightful, spicy romantic romp about a stifled 30-year-old secretary/writer who finds her ‘etiquette above all else, proper manners are gold, and I always do what I’m told’ code of living challenged by her publishing boss, a dashing, debonair rake who doesn’t give a flying fig about society’s rules or propriety ever since a painful, scandalous divorce to a young American left him jaded about women, relationships, and marriage.

Lord Marlowe da
Rane
Aug 13, 2009 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, victorian-era
Beatriz
Aug 18, 2016 Beatriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Esta autora fue un gran descubrimiento. Este es el primer libro que leo de ella y me encantó, no lo pude soltar hasta terminarlo, sólo un día.

La historia es preciosa y aunque algunos componentes de la trama ya están vistos en otras novelas del género, la autora los presenta con un estilo narrativo tan fresco y realista, que es imposible no reírse, emocionarse y empatizar totalmente con todos los momentos de descubrimiento de los personajes, ya que va entrelazando muy hábilmente el desarrollo de
Tammy
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? It is full of funny, tender and sexy moments. The banter between Emma and Marlowe is delightful. The storyline is smart and character-driven.

It left me craving peaches and honey. Seriously girls! That scene alone is worth buying the book.

Emma Dove is basically an old school Miss Manners. The Martha Stewart of the Victorian era. We first meet her when she is employed as a secretary in a small publishing house to Lord Marlowe. Her relat
Eastofoz
Aug 02, 2009 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who want a solid story with a sensuous romance
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Kym
First off I have to say that I’m very surprised that this book made my favorites shelf because it didn’t start off all that well, but it made up for the slow start with a bang. The setting up of the story I found boring, there was no spark between Harry and Emma, just a very business relationship, however when all that changed this book took off like a shot to the finish line.

It’s the story of plain spinster Emma Dove who’s an exceptionally competent secretary for Lord Harry Marlowe who owns a p
Sophie ♥
He stood up, pulling her with him, and slid his arms around her waist. “So, even though I’m dissolute and inconsiderate and I’ll probably be late for the wedding, you are going to marry me?”

Bubu
Jul 25, 2016 Bubu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
Buddy read with the brilliant Lyuda!

3.5 stars rounded up. The heroine is great!

This was a wonderful romance, a wonderful story of two people who have known each other for years, but never really looked at each other. Well, Harry has never looked at Emma, whereas Emma made a conscious decision, very early into her 5-year-employment, not to look at Harry closer than the work relationship would permit.

Emma Dove is the star of the story. Secretary to Harry for five years, 30-year-old spinster, who
Summer
And Then He Kissed Her is about Miss Emma Dove. A lonely secretary for a gentlemen named Lord Marlowe. And I mean 'gentlemen' as in he is a member of the peerage since he doesn't care about manners or being polite. Lord Marlowe is an owner of a publishing house. He keeps a very busy schedule as he lives for his work and his family demands time with him as well. However what free time he does have is usually spent on illicit affairs with can-can dancers or other ladies of ill-repute. It is Emma's ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Oct 05, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Victorian era readers
I liked the fact that she was under appreciated secretary and he realized that he couldn't do without her. I liked how she proved him wrong on how she thought her ideas would be interesting to the readers and she stood up for herself. Got to love a strong heroine character!! Laura Lee Guhrke is one of my favorites!
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I enjoyed this and read straight through. It's a solid four stars. But there was something keeping it from being a truly spectacular book. As I've reflected back on it during today I think it's fair to say that it's nothing particularly special about it. It's a character focused romance but Harry and Emma never sparkled for me and that's a problem when the focus is on the H/h. I understood more about Emma as the book went on and character felt more fully fleshed out than Harry's (he had rather a ...more
Melissa
Sans
For 270-odd pages, the only thing I could think was

Now, I've reached my breaking point.

I'm not going to finish reading this. And I don't believe I'll be reading any other books in this series I might have purchased in a (not so rare) fit of optimism.
Linds
May 22, 2010 Linds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the movie Two Weeks Notice
You know how some romances start off strong and then wind down and peter out? This is the opposite. It starts out a bit slow and then gets more and more intense until the end.

Emma is a thirty year old secretary near the end of the 20th century. She is an aspiring writer, never married, and has always made sure she does what is expected of her. She works hard and has earned a small flat for herself.

Harry is a viscount, and Emma's boss. He sees that the aristocracy is dying and even though it's "
Vered
May 30, 2010 Vered rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
I haven’t read an HR since, I don’t know, I was 15 reading The Thorn Birds. I was afraid it would be too cheesy or too boring, or too cheesy AND too boring. It was neither.
It was sweet and loving and funny at times. We’re not talking about a bigger than life story, full of intrigues and betrayals. But rather a small one, about a growing relationship between a man and a woman.
The characters were lovable. The sex scenes, less. Not the book strongest point. But the journey, both of the characters
TJ
Dec 05, 2010 TJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First a disclaimer: The one star is based solely on my personal preferences and not on the obvious trend in romance reading. That having been said...This book has very little to do with what the description on the cover states. It is more a study in how a man worms and wheedles his way into a woman of strong moral character and virtue's bed. It takes two thirds of the book to do this, with him, in the final third, enjoying an illicit affair with her even though she feels horribly guilty and used ...more
Karen
Aug 04, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the sweetest, most beautiful love stories that I have read. The characters of Emma and Harry have so much depth, you can't help but take the journey of falling in love right along with them. I rarely cry when I read, but this book had me in tears right up until the very end. I can't think of anything I didn't like about this book except that it was much too short. I could have used a few hundred more pages of Emma and Harry!
Cheryl
Fantastic book with non-stop knock-your-panties-off steam from about page 223-342, and many of those pages you will be flipping back over to reread!!! That's a lot of pages and a lot of steam!!! 5 stars!

I'll make this short and sweet; This book was a lot of fun to read. I read it in one day and enjoyed every minute of it. It starts out just a tad slow, but speeds up and doesn't slow back down at all! It took a while for there to be some good and steamy parts but once it heated up the author did
LuvGirl
Am I the only one in the world that thinks this book is seriously boring?? I am not even inspired enough to write a full review. All I can say is that I was bored out of my mind reading this book that everyone else seems to be raving about. The characters were dull as a door nail and so was the story-line. I should have followed my instinct and stayed away from this book. I had it on my TBR shelf for a while, and I wasn't very excited to read it because I hate it when the hero is a whiny wimp th ...more
Zeek
Mar 25, 2010 Zeek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-rom, romance
And Then He kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke is a fast simple read that was exactly what I was in the mood for. I haven't read anything else by LLG but I've been seeing her name around for a bit now and I think she has a great Historical Romance voice. Nothing grandiose, a bit borrowed from Austen, but comforting like hot chocolate on a cold winter night.

Emma is the best Hist. Romance heroine I've read in a long time. Independent and confident in her own abilities, she's working for our hero Marlo
⊱ Irena ⊰
Nov 20, 2013 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it it was ok
2.5
This book differs a bit from a lot of other romances I've read so far. It's missing a few usual motifs.
Miss Emma Dove is working for Viscount Marlowe and trying to get him to publish her book on etiquette. When she realizes he has never read it, she resigns. Since she was the reason everything functioned perfectly, Marlowe and everyone around him felt her absence, so he tried to get her back. His first attempt revealed something he hasn't noticed before - Emma he never knew existed. She made
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, historical
I can't think of the last time that I read a book that skipped all the action, villain plots, big misunderstandings, and just focused on good old-fashioned romance. And Then He Kissed Me did just that, and it was like water to my soul. It quenched a thirst I didn't know I had....to get back to the basics.

This book is funny. Really funny. It had me laughing from the first page. The dialogue is witty, smart, and fast-paced. This is a quick and priceless read. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Emma i
Meredith
May 27, 2011 Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, didn't I just read this book? Wasn't it called Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee Guhrke?

I mean, come on--it's like she just changed the names, occupations and historical contexts.

Guilty Pleasures vs And Then He Kissed Her
GP: Peer of the realm hero, doing work unlike most peers ("archeologist")
ATHKR: Peer of the realm hero, doing work unlike most peers ("publisher")
GP: Heroine works for hero, is mousy, very competent, and the hero hardly even sees her as female
ATHKR: Oh, yea, that's exactly the
Kinga
Mar 02, 2013 Kinga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“And Then He Kissed Her”… And so he did. And it was the most important part of this book. It was like being fourteen again. It was like living in Victorian times.

The plot is what it is. There is an old spinster (by 19th century standards so approaching thirty), a secretary to a rakish viscount who doesn’t even notice her until she throws a tantrum, quits, and subsequently transforms herself into some Victorian Martha Stewart. She knows all about etiquette and how to throw a party that will be t
Juliana Philippa
I read And Then He Kissed Her 2.5 years ago and remember loving it, though it was before I started rating my books and keeping track of my ratings. After finishing it a second time today, I completely understand why I loved it so much and why I remember it so fondly. It was an amazing book and definitely warrants a 5-star rating!! The only thing I wished for was an epilogue.

(Written January 2010)

Haven't read a historical romance in ages - seriously, it's been months and months and months. Was gr
Natalie
Emma Dove is a spinster at age 30 and has worked for Harry, Viscount Marlowe for 5 years as his secretary. Essentially she has his PA, doing everything for him like breaking up with his mistresses and buying his mother and sister's gifts. Now the first chapter opens with Emma helping Harry dump his latest mistress and give her a parting gift. I was immediately turned off by this but I persisted and it paid off. Harry is a bit callous and narrow-minded (wrt to Emma's writings for women)
Chryssa
Confession of not liking this book.
Bless me my fellow book lovers for I feel I have sinned...

I did NOT like this book though it is in the Top 100 AAR and the reason why I decided to read it.

WORD OF THE DAY:
manipulator
noun [C] UK /məˈnɪp.jʊ.leɪ.tər/ US /-tɚ/ mainly disapproving
› a person who controls people to their own advantage, often unfairly or dishonestly:
e.g: She was, said the judge, a ruthless and scheming manipulator.

I am a softie at heart (truly I am!), I tolerate a lot of things tha
Miggyrow
I bought the book ( the french version) in january, and it took me, quite a few months to finish it. It is not badly written. But it is a pretty dull romance with no extraordinary scene or big significant moment. I am not really into historical romance but I started this book with an open mind.

On a good note, the romance was building nicely through the book. It was believable though admittedly slow, but it's the only reason I didn't completely throw the book away. The characters don't really lac
Samantha
Sep 26, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-own, 2010
I've been on a historical romance kick lately and this one totally fit the bill. The hero and heroine don't instantly fall head-over-heels in love with one another. It's actually romantic to watch them discover their feelings and it feels very organic and like a natural progression.
Emma has worked for Lord Marlowe for five years as his secretary, highly unusual for a woman of the late 19th Century to be treated and accorded a respected career. She does her job perfectly and keeps Lord Marlowe's
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED Lady writer + news paper + chicken breasts are not ladylike 6 38 Dec 17, 2013 01:34PM
what's with the cover? 5 94 Dec 13, 2013 09:56AM
  • The Proposition
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
  • Compromised
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Scandal
  • Not Quite a Husband
From the publication of her very first historical romance, Laura Lee Guhrke has received numerous honors and critical acclaim for her novels and her writing style. She has been honored with the most prestigious award of romance fiction, the Romance Writers of America Rita Award, and she has received additional awards from Romantic Times and All About Romance. Romantic Times has proclaimed her, “On ...more
More about Laura Lee Guhrke...

Girl Bachelors (4 books)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
  • Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)

“I enjoyed reading when I was a boy, but these days, I read all the time and it has rather taken the pleasure out of it for me. When I am at leisure, reading is the last thing I want to do.”

“That makes sense, I suppose. But for me, reading is an adventure. It makes me an armchair traveler and takes me places I shall never be able to go.”
32 likes
“Harry - “No plovers no pigeons no snipe. No oysters mussels clams or whole lobsters. No artichokes no savories no cheese.” He paused for breath then went on “Nothing too rich nothing too highly seasoned. And never more than one glass of wine. Did I miss any no-noes ”

Emma - She sighed. “When it comes to my work I do wish you would be serious.”

Harry - “I am serious ” he assured her. “After reading this I understand why women have such tiny waists and go about fainting all the time. I thought it was corsets but no. You’re all hungry .”
11 likes