And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)

And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  5,596 ratings  ·  297 reviews
Supremely sensible Emmaline Dove wishes to share her etiquette expertise with London's readers, and as secretary to Viscount Marlowe, Emma knows she's in the perfect position to make her dream come true. Marlowe might be a rake with a preference for can-can dancers and an aversion to matrimony, but he is also the city's leading publisher, and Emma is convinced he's her bes...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about And Then He Kissed Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then He Kissed Her

Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

This is an entertaining, delightful, spicy romantic romp about a stifled 30-year-old secretary/writer who finds her ‘etiquette above all else, proper manners are gold, and I always do what I’m told’ code of living challenged by her publishing boss, a dashing, debonair rake who doesn’t give a flying fig about society’s rules or propriety ever since a painful, scandalous divorce to a young American left him jaded about women, relationships, and marriage.

Lord Marlowe da...more
Content warning: spoilers, swearing, & gifs.

This book sucked. Usually I can find something positive to say about a book...but I'll be damned if that's the case for this one.

Frankly, I'm at a loss.

The hero (Harry) was boring & indistinguishable from other generic woobie-rake romance heroes, but he could've been worse. I didn't hate him, at least -- which is more than can be said for the heroine, Miss Emma Dove.

Here's a sentence I'll probably regret typing, but...

Let's talk about Miss Dov...more
Tammy
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? It is full of funny, tender and sexy moments. The banter between Emma and Marlowe is delightful. The storyline is smart and character-driven.

It left me craving peaches and honey. Seriously girls! That scene alone is worth buying the book.

Emma Dove is basically an old school Miss Manners. The Martha Stewart of the Victorian era. We first meet her when she is employed as a secretary in a small publishing house to Lord Marlowe. Her relat...more
Rane
Eastofoz
Aug 02, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who want a solid story with a sensuous romance
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Kym
First off I have to say that I’m very surprised that this book made my favorites shelf because it didn’t start off all that well, but it made up for the slow start with a bang. The setting up of the story I found boring, there was no spark between Harry and Emma, just a very business relationship, however when all that changed this book took off like a shot to the finish line.

It’s the story of plain spinster Emma Dove who’s an exceptionally competent secretary for Lord Harry Marlowe who owns a p...more
LiteraryLover
And Then He Kissed Her is about Miss Emma Dove. A lonely secretary for a gentlemen named Lord Marlowe. And I mean 'gentlemen' as in he is a member of the peerage since he doesn't care about manners or being polite. Lord Marlowe is an owner of a publishing house. He keeps a very busy schedule as he lives for his work and his family demands time with him as well. However what free time he does have is usually spent on illicit affairs with can-can dancers or other ladies of ill-repute. It is Emma's...more
ChloeLeeNH
Oct 05, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Victorian era readers
I liked the fact that she was under appreciated secretary and he realized that he couldn't do without her. I liked how she proved him wrong on how she thought her ideas would be interesting to the readers and she stood up for herself. Got to love a strong heroine character!! Laura Lee Guhrke is one of my favorites!
Sophie ♥
He stood up, pulling her with him, and slid his arms around her waist. “So, even though I’m dissolute and inconsiderate and I’ll probably be late for the wedding, you are going to marry me?”

Melissa
Linds
You know how some romances start off strong and then wind down and peter out? This is the opposite. It starts out a bit slow and then gets more and more intense until the end.

Emma is a thirty year old secretary near the end of the 20th century. She is an aspiring writer, never married, and has always made sure she does what is expected of her. She works hard and has earned a small flat for herself.

Harry is a viscount, and Emma's boss. He sees that the aristocracy is dying and even though it's "...more
Karen
This is one of the sweetest, most beautiful love stories that I have read. The characters of Emma and Harry have so much depth, you can't help but take the journey of falling in love right along with them. I rarely cry when I read, but this book had me in tears right up until the very end. I can't think of anything I didn't like about this book except that it was much too short. I could have used a few hundred more pages of Emma and Harry!
Cheryl
Fantastic book with non-stop knock-your-panties-off steam from about page 223-342, and many of those pages you will be flipping back over to reread!!! That's a lot of pages and a lot of steam!!! 5 stars!

I'll make this short and sweet; This book was a lot of fun to read. I read it in one day and enjoyed every minute of it. It starts out just a tad slow, but speeds up and doesn't slow back down at all! It took a while for there to be some good and steamy parts but once it heated up the author did...more
Vered
I haven’t read an HR since, I don’t know, I was 15 reading The Thorn Birds. I was afraid it would be too cheesy or too boring, or too cheesy AND too boring. It was neither.
It was sweet and loving and funny at times. We’re not talking about a bigger than life story, full of intrigues and betrayals. But rather a small one, about a growing relationship between a man and a woman.
The characters were lovable. The sex scenes, less. Not the book strongest point. But the journey, both of the characters...more
Crista
I can't think of the last time that I read a book that skipped all the action, villain plots, big misunderstandings, and just focused on good old-fashioned romance. And Then He Kissed Me did just that, and it was like water to my soul. It quenched a thirst I didn't know I had....to get back to the basics.

This book is funny. Really funny. It had me laughing from the first page. The dialogue is witty, smart, and fast-paced. This is a quick and priceless read. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Emma i...more
LuvGirl
Am I the only one in the world that thinks this book is seriously boring?? I am not even inspired enough to write a full review. All I can say is that I was bored out of my mind reading this book that everyone else seems to be raving about. The characters were dull as a door nail and so was the story-line. I should have followed my instinct and stayed away from this book. I had it on my TBR shelf for a while, and I wasn't very excited to read it because I hate it when the hero is a whiny wimp th...more
Juliana
I read And Then He Kissed Her 2.5 years ago and remember loving it, though it was before I started rating my books and keeping track of my ratings. After finishing it a second time today, I completely understand why I loved it so much and why I remember it so fondly. It was an amazing book and definitely warrants a 5-star rating!! The only thing I wished for was an epilogue.

(Written January 2010)

Haven't read a historical romance in ages - seriously, it's been months and months and months. Was gr...more
TJ
First a disclaimer: The one star is based solely on my personal preferences and not on the obvious trend in romance reading. That having been said...This book has very little to do with what the description on the cover states. It is more a study in how a man worms and wheedles his way into a woman of strong moral character and virtue's bed. It takes two thirds of the book to do this, with him, in the final third, enjoying an illicit affair with her even though she feels horribly guilty and used...more
Zeek
And Then He kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke is a fast simple read that was exactly what I was in the mood for. I haven't read anything else by LLG but I've been seeing her name around for a bit now and I think she has a great Historical Romance voice. Nothing grandiose, a bit borrowed from Austen, but comforting like hot chocolate on a cold winter night.

Emma is the best Hist. Romance heroine I've read in a long time. Independent and confident in her own abilities, she's working for our hero Marlo...more
Irena
2.5
This book differs a bit from a lot of other romances I've read so far. It's missing a few usual motifs.
Miss Emma Dove is working for Viscount Marlowe and trying to get him to publish her book on etiquette. When she realizes he has never read it, she resigns. Since she was the reason everything functioned perfectly, Marlowe and everyone around him felt her absence, so he tried to get her back. His first attempt revealed something he hasn't noticed before - Emma he never knew existed. She made...more
Meredith
Hey, didn't I just read this book? Wasn't it called Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee Guhrke?

I mean, come on--it's like she just changed the names, occupations and historical contexts.

Guilty Pleasures vs And Then He Kissed Her
GP: Peer of the realm hero, doing work unlike most peers ("archeologist")
ATHKR: Peer of the realm hero, doing work unlike most peers ("publisher")
GP: Heroine works for hero, is mousy, very competent, and the hero hardly even sees her as female
ATHKR: Oh, yea, that's exactly the...more
Kinga
“And Then He Kissed Her”… And so he did. And it was the most important part of this book. It was like being fourteen again. It was like living in Victorian times.

The plot is what it is. There is an old spinster (by 19th century standards so approaching thirty), a secretary to a rakish viscount who doesn’t even notice her until she throws a tantrum, quits, and subsequently transforms herself into some Victorian Martha Stewart. She knows all about etiquette and how to throw a party that will be t...more
J.D. Stroube
This has to be one of the best romance novels I have read in a while. I was completely engaged through the entire book! The characters were well suited, and I genuinely liked them.
I truly enjoyed their time at the cottage. Their love felt more real because they took time to get to know one another. I completely recommend this book!
Jess the Romanceaholic
Dec 07, 2009 Jess the Romanceaholic rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who prefer their romances without copoius amounts of external angst
So I was putzing around on the AAR website earlier and came across the listing for the Reader Favorites 2007-2008.. This book won for "Best Heroine", so I decided to give it a chance.

Not my usual "historical" tastes, this book was set in the 1890's -- where such devices as trains and telephones and typewriters abound (wow that's a lot of "T" words!). I admit, that threw me off a bit, but the time setting was necessary -- in a Regency romance, the entire concept of "girl bachelors" simply wouldn'...more
KatLynne
Mar 01, 2011 KatLynne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love Historical Romance full of witty dialogue.
This book begins with Emma Dove, virgin spinster, working as secretary to Lord Harry Marlowe at his successful Publishing Company. She is immensely efficient and intelligent and not only does she keep Harry’s company running smoothly, but she also keeps his personal life orderly, even going so far as to do his personal gift shopping. Mousy little Emma is quiet, complying and unobtrusive. An expert in proper etiquette, she always follows the rules. Her hearts desire is to have her book of etiquet...more
Samantha
I've been on a historical romance kick lately and this one totally fit the bill. The hero and heroine don't instantly fall head-over-heels in love with one another. It's actually romantic to watch them discover their feelings and it feels very organic and like a natural progression.
Emma has worked for Lord Marlowe for five years as his secretary, highly unusual for a woman of the late 19th Century to be treated and accorded a respected career. She does her job perfectly and keeps Lord Marlowe's...more
Cyn Mistress Kitty
I guess the thing I liked the most about this book was that it portrayed a really strong, smart, self-sufficient woman.
I suppose it is because of the time period, but you don't see this very often in a book. I also liked that the hero was titled but he knew that he couldn't depend on that alone and had to go out there and make something of himself. He and she showed a lot of courage in this book in that they didn't allow society to completely dictate their lives.
I think that they both learned a...more
Shell Schroth
This book was...... Cute.

It was decently written, and managed to engage me with it's wit, and humorous banter.

It's storyline, took a path less traveled, for the first 3/4 of the book, then ended fairly predicatably.

In spite of this, I rather enjoyed it still. I liked Harry's character. I know many of my GR friends may disagree with me on this but... Hear me out.

He's a gentleman, whom loves his mother, grandmother and sisters. He takes pride in his work, refusing to allow being a peer of the...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's the 1890s, London, and Miss Emma Dove is easily the only female secretary in the city. She's had the post for five years and proved to be exceedingly efficient and reliable. Her boss, the Viscount Harry Marlowe, owner of a successful publishing and newspaper business, is divorced (a scandalousoutcome that took five years to achieve), dissolute, and a rake, and gets Miss Dove to buy his parting gifts for his mistresses. She takes all this calmly, giving the impression that she is prim, prope...more
Tiko Telia
mmm... i liked it sooo much!!!

Harry was a great hero with easy charm, wit and humor... and Emma was a smart 30 year old spinster who worked as Harrys secretary... theres not really lots of romance in the first part of the book but its quit funny xD second part was soo romantic... i loved theyre relationship, i loved Emmas courage and i even loved that old couple walking while holding hands all the time. But the best thing in this book was ofc Harry XD i loved him because of his love for his fam...more
Kathrynn
Dec 09, 2007 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
This was a neat historical romance set in the late 1893!!! A time period where women could live in apartments (alone) and work. The heroine in this book is a secretary that continues writing a book about "etiquette." But, the man she works for (a publisher) keeps telling her it needs to be rewritten, etc, but he never even reads it. She finds out and quits! She gets a job writing as "Mrs. Bartleby" which is kinda like a Dear Abby column for Lord Marlowe's competitor and it becomes a HUGE success...more
what's with the cover? 5 89 Dec 13, 2013 09:56AM
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Proposition
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
  • Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
  • In Bed With the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • Scandal
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
From the publication of her very first historical romance, Laura Lee Guhrke has received numerous honors and critical acclaim for her novels and her writing style. She has been honored with the most prestigious award of romance fiction, the Romance Writers of America Rita Award, and she has received additional awards from Romantic Times and All About Romance. Romantic Times has proclaimed her, “On...more
More about Laura Lee Guhrke...
Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1) Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2) The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2) The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3) Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)

“I enjoyed reading when I was a boy, but these days, I read all the time and it has rather taken the pleasure out of it for me. When I am at leisure, reading is the last thing I want to do.”

“That makes sense, I suppose. But for me, reading is an adventure. It makes me an armchair traveler and takes me places I shall never be able to go.”
24 likes
“Harry - “No plovers no pigeons no snipe. No oysters mussels clams or whole lobsters. No artichokes no savories no cheese.” He paused for breath then went on “Nothing too rich nothing too highly seasoned. And never more than one glass of wine. Did I miss any no-noes ”

Emma - She sighed. “When it comes to my work I do wish you would be serious.”

Harry - “I am serious ” he assured her. “After reading this I understand why women have such tiny waists and go about fainting all the time. I thought it was corsets but no. You’re all hungry .”
9 likes