Start by marking “Морт (Истории от Света на Диска, #4)” as Want to Read:
Морт (Истории от Света на Диска, #4)

Морт (Discworld #4)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  126,765 Ratings  ·  2,646 Reviews
Mopт e oбикнoвeнo, дългуpecтo мoмчe, кoeтo cтaвa чиpaк нa Смъpт, нo ce oкaзвa, чe cъвceм нe cтaвa зa нoвитe cи зaдължeния дa извeждa душитe oт тoзи cвят. Кoгaтo въпpocът oпиpa дo кpacивaтa Пpинцeca Кeли, кoятo тpябвa дa бъдe убитa, Mopт изпopтвa цялaтa paбoтa...
Paperback, 1-во издание, 324 pages
Published 1995 by Вузев (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Морт, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Морт

Oct 16, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a new best friend. Literarily speaking.

It’s as though I met Terry Pratchett at a party and we hit it off immediately. You like Monty Python, I LOVE Monty Python! Seinfeld, WHAT???, I’ve seen them all “Art Vandelay, nice to meet you.” No way! What about The Big Lebowsky? “How’s the smut business, Jackie?” To which he replied, “I wouldn’t know, Dude.”

And so it is with me reading my first Discworld novel, in this case Mort (#4 on the list). Discworld is Terry Pratchett’s hilarious fantasy
Mar 17, 2016 Matthias rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This isn't an easy review to write. This has been my first encounter with the Discworld universe and the many writings of Terry Pratchett, and voicing my opinion on it makes me feel like a blundering fool stumbling into a world that was meant for his younger and perhaps wiser self, a world of which he has only caught a glimpse.

Let's start with kicking in an open door. 'Boy', uh, sorry, 'Mort' is a very funny novel. Death, being a wonderfully serious topic, becomes a great source of laughter and
Dec 03, 2012 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

With those simple words Terry Pratchett introduces the complicated fact that on The Disc Death is as much a person as anyone else, only more so.

The fourth Discworld novel is right up there with my favourites, the story of how Death came to take an apprentice and how one gangly, awkward young boy became a strong, confident man is filled with humour and tells the kind of coming of age tale other authors only dream of.

It may not be the best writt
I "made a mistake" in my life by reading later works of Discworld (DW) first. By the time I read earliest Discworld stories, the universe feels not fully developed.

Mort is the fourth DW novel, and I see the DW universe, the jokes, and the characters are better developed than the 3 earlier novels (but still not as sophisticated as DW later works). But, there are some good moments: the awkwardness of young people in this novel, and the Death's learning of life.

People including Mort as the first i
Mar 24, 2016 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un joven soñador y bastante despistado Mortimer pero más conocido como Mort, pertenece a una familia de agricultores, pero él no tiene ningún talento para ello. Su padre y hermano deciden buscarle un oficio durante la feria de contratación del Cerro de las Ovejas, donde no será hasta el último momento en que su suerte cambie de lado y la figura cadavérica y encapuchada conocida como la Muerte le ofrezca ser su aprendiz. Tras unas cuantas lecciones y unos cuantos errores más, la Muerte termina de ...more
In a previous review of Pratchett's The Color of Magic, I speculated that I might have become jaded since high school. I noted that I enjoyed that book, but it was not as hilarious as I had remembered it, initially. There will be no such danger with Mort, meaning, I probably won't be re-reading it. Again, this one was funny, but not hilarious, and more cutesy than clever.

Still, it has its moments, the best of which, I thought, was the interchange between the Sun Emperor and his Grand Vizier, a g
Apr 06, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the Discworld series as different from Equal Rites as that book was from the first two.

Full Review
I never expected to marathon the discworld books, but this now makes the third in a row I've read.

This book is the first of the Death books. Death plays a much larger role than he has in the previous books, but for the most part it focuses on his apprentice, Mort.

I found it started a bit slow, and I was pretty indifferent towards Mort. He grew on me by the
Jul 06, 2015 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
So Terry Pratchett is definitely witty and clever, and I do enjoy his asides when I forget I'm searching for a story in the midst of it. The thing is, each of the three Discworld books I've completed so far took me some effort to get into in spite of appreciating the humor. Because the characters remain caricatures as the humor takes center stage. And I actually find it kind of boring.

It's not until late in each book that I started to be interested in what was actually happening. And the charact
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Death is looking for an apprentice to eventually replace him and decides on a young man called Mort. During the course of his training Mort takes a fancy to a young lady. Unfortunately the young lady’s time is up. So that’s that. Or is it? You see, Mort is not so good at following rules…

This is the only Terry Pratchett book I have read so far and it was delightfully whimsical. Sign me up for more please.

Light dawned on Mort. “You are looking for an apprentice?” he
Oct 06, 2012 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review contains major spoilers for the movie Pusher 3

The central joke in Mort is that Death is basically, you know, just a guy doing a job. The other day, I thought of Terry Pratchett's novel for the first time in ages when we saw I'm The Angel of Death , Nicolas Winding Refn's brilliant conclusion to the Pusher trilogy. In the first two movies, we've had several brief encounters with the terrifying Milo, a Serbian kingpin in Copenhagen's underworld. The first film ends with him and his as
Excellent and fun

I just love the characters this author comes up with. Death is a great ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION and Mort, the human he selects as his apprentice, is the perfect replacement. Sort of.
Mort has a hard time filling in for Death when he needs a day off. At least he does once a girl gets involved. There is romance in this as well, sort of. Apparently, not completing the job Death is meant to do has some pretty serious consequences that even a cameo appearance by Rincewind may n
David Sarkies
Apr 02, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who loves a good laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Death takes on an apprentice
14 August 2012

Well, while I suggested that Equal Rites must have been Pratchett's make or break book, I did not expect the brilliance of this book. After picking myself off the floor after laughing so much at some of the absolutely off the wall humour, I must say that, to put it bluntly, Terry Pratchett attempted to send the fantasy genre into a completely different direction, and succeeded.

Basically Death has become board, and lonely, with his job, and wants to fin
Mamen B.
Jun 16, 2016 Mamen B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, mundodisco

Sigo avanzando con Mundodisco, y tengo que decir que me alegro mucho de estar haciéndolo por orden de publicación, porque hay dos detalles en este libro que ya se refieren a los anteriores, y aunque no tienen ninguna relevancia para la trama, yo soy de esa gente que quiere sacar todo el jugo a los libros.

En cuanto al libro en sí, aquí conocemos a la Muerte y a Mort, que yo en un principio pensaba que eran la misma cosa, pero en realidad no es así. La trama me ha gustado bastante, y ya vamos t
Aug 31, 2016 Celise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.”

Parts of the story got a little muddled somewhere between the ending and the middle, but as usual the humour and the absurd characters are what brought everything around. Mort and Death are a duo that are quite enjoyable, of course with the addition of Death's noble steed, Binky. Death being the serious, completely terrifying guy who asks questions like "WHY IS THERE A
Althea Ann
Sep 27, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Pratchett's Discworld novels are unfailingly entertaining. In Mort, Pratchett introduces his personification of Death. However, the familiar hooded, skeletal figure with a sickle is getting kind of bored with rushing about from deathbed to murder scene... The solution? To take on an apprentice. Mort is an awkward, clumsy farmer's son, whose inconvenient habit of asking questions has made him more in-the-way than not at home – and he's had no luck finding a position elsewhere. So when ...more
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Mort while I eat for the last week or so - it's just about the perfect level for that amount of attention. To the person I borrowed the book from, I promise I didn't get any food on it. I'm just trying to say something about Terry Pratchett. It's thoroughly enjoyable and light, and not particularly taxing. Perfect reading while eating.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision
Alexander Páez
Me arrepiento de no haber leído este libro de adolescente, me hubiera marcado profundamente.
Jul 04, 2009 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only other Discworld books I'd read were the Tiffany Aching sequence - The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith - and I was eager to try others. With those books, I found the humor hilarious and the worldbuilding excellent, but Tiffany a little obnoxious, mostly because she seemed too mature for her age, which ranges from nine to thirteen in the books.

A few writing-style trends that I found continuing here: Pratchett can be a tiny bit repetitive, especially on really good details
Aug 01, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Wastrel
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, comedy
Pratchett continues to be a total delight for me. We are getting to the point that I wound fight someone who said something bad about him.

Mort is the first starring role for Death, who got cameos in The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites. He's a lovely character: distant but sensitive, (mostly) immovable, a big fan of cats. He's been on the job for quite a while at this point and he's starting to suffer from some understandable ennui. As a potential solution he picks up young
Apr 14, 2013 Anders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, recommended
Mort is the fourth novel in the Discworld series. Like the other novels in the series it is witty, clever and quite a bit absurd. It is not dark and gritty like some of the other really great fantasy out there, but it's not supposed to be.

The story follows Mort. A young and fairly simple farm boy, who has to go to town to find a job. At the market everyone else in the job line gets a job, even a wall-eyed young man with a stoop and a running nose, but Mort who stays put until midnight has had n
Aug 13, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.5

Another great Discworld story.

We've already met Death in the previous books ( I read the "City Watch" ones first), but that were only cameo appearances.

In this novel Death is the star,

...well, all right...

... co-star (he is not the title character).

Death decides to "mix it up" a little and takes an apprentice ... and then decides to take a day off....

Naturally , disaster is a step away when his shiny new apprentice Mort decides to save the pretty princess instead of just doing his job
Mar 23, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this. I thought the humor worked; it didn't try too hard and there were some clever moments. It's a smart book. I'm often annoyed by funny people; I strongly dislike Christopher Lamb, who also wrote a "funny" book set in a castle, and Doug Adams doesn't really work for me anymore. So I went into this without high hopes - but it was cool, man, I dug it. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I was hoping it'd be, but it worked okay.
Miquel Codony
Mar 19, 2015 Miquel Codony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me gusta mucho que Pratchett recurre al humor sin renunciar a nada. O sea, que no es una mera serie de gags al servicio del chiste, sino una novela con todos sus ingredientes: sus personajes bien construidos, su trama compleja, una imaginación más rica y original que en la gran mayoría de lo que ves por ahí... en definitiva, que el humor se convierte en una puerta que le permite acceder a recursos para explicar mejor su historia, no en una excusa que justifique atajos narrativos.

Jul 29, 2012 Πέτρος rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book of the series, which now delves into the realm of Death… while being depressed. The poor fellow seems to have lost his meaning in life (or death, or whatever) and for that reason he seeks a change of pace by looking for someone to replace him, while he tries to find meaning in life. That is why he picks Mort, a boy who doesn’t seem to be good at anything and ends up being his only option as all the others were already hired. Plus him tripping and the boy being kind enough ...more
En güzel DiskDünya kitaplarından biri olarak geçiyor ve gerçekten de öyle - tabii şimdiye kadar ne kadar az bir yüzdesini okuduğumu da esgeçmeyerek. Zaten Ölüm karakteri, son derece gayrinüktedan ve dongozkomik biri.

Çırağı Mort gibi değil yani.

Tabii Terry Pratchett, can almaktan sıkılmış Ölüm'ü, İş ve İşçi Bulma Kurumu'na göndermekten vedâhi ona fastfood restoranında aşçılık yaptırmaktan -üstelik bu yüzden onu mutlu etmekten!- geri durmuyor. İlahi...

Neyse. Yine muhteşem.

Kısacası, Mort bir torba
I do love the character DEATH - he tried SO hard to experience what it meant to be human but it didn't quite go according to plan. Leaves human's questioning what fun actually is - and how in the hands of the Grim Reaper dancing, fishing and drinking can be slightly ... well ... silly :)
Jul 21, 2016 Niyura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Ha estado bien, buen libro de fantasía. La historia trata de la vida y evolución de Mort y de la Muerte, me ha gustado, aunque no me ha llenado.
3.0 stars. A good book, but seems to have lost a little of of the magic of the first two books which were excellent.
Oct 09, 2016 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own
I kind of expected this to be much funnier than it was. Mostly because whenever Death appeared in the other books, it was always one of the most humorous moments. I mean the premise was pretty funny: Death takes a holiday.

I loved all the characters. Mort had his coming of age by becoming an apprentice to Death, Death himself has an existential "mid-death" crisis, Death daughter is desperate to Live, and his servant to keep Death... deadly.

There is certainly a lot of discussion about what makes
Bettie Pathway
Oct 06, 2016 Bettie Pathway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Me ha encantado!

La reseña completa, mañana en el blog :) ----> Aquí está:
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Night Watch (Watch, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Czarownik Iwanow (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #2)
  • The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf, #2)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

20 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said. "Have you thought of going into teaching?” 1324 likes
“He'd been wrong, there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower.” 971 likes