Start by marking “Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)

Trunk Music (Harry Bosch #5)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  37,042 Ratings  ·  996 Reviews
Back on the job after an involuntary leave of absence, LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch is ready for a challenge. But his first case is a little more than he bargained for.

It starts with the body of a Hollywood producer in the trunk of a Rolls-Royce, shot twice in the head at close range - what looks like "trunk music," a Mafia hit. But the LAPD's organized crime unit
Published January 2002 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Trunk Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trunk Music

Jonetta
Harry's back from enforced "stress leave" and anxious to get assigned to a case. When he and his team find Tony Aliso's body in the trunk of his car, Harry fights to hold onto it instead of handing it over to the guys in the Organized Crime Investigation Division. What first appears to be mob "trunk music" turns out to be so much more.

As usual, Harry's solid investigative instincts makes the procedurals so interesting, especially when things get dicey. He's heading up a three-person team, intro
Phrynne
Oct 06, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 5 in the Harry Bosch series and still rolling nicely along. I probably found this to be the least exciting of the books to date. It was a little bit too full of procedural detail and there were so many different cons going on at once I was occasionally confused. Nevertheless Bosch used all his smarts and came out on top,as usual. I liked his two off siders and his boss who was able to bend the rules occasionally for him. I found the story line of Eleanor Wish and the marriage to be unnece ...more
Freda Malone
May 09, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Trunk Music’ = Mob Hit, I didn't know that. This is #5 in the Bosch series and Harry is back in full force after being forced into involuntary leave. A producer has been killed and stuffed in a trunk. Harry’s team is on it. We have some new characters to read about.

Jerry Edgar and Kizman Rider. I like these two so far. Rider seems to be drawn up as a temp detective and might be moving on to bigger and better things but I hope she decides to stay. Edgar is a man, what can I say. Your typical ma
Megan Baxter
Jul 20, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Michael Connelly, and thus, obviously, my first Harry Bosch mystery. And, as always, I throw continuity to the wind and start somewhere in the middle! Who needs beginnings?

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Scott Rhee
The term "trunk music" (for those who aren't fluent in mob-speak) refers to an execution-style murder that involves two clean shots to the head and a body stuffed in a car's trunk. Tony Alisio, a small-time Hollywood movie producer of notoriously bad low-budget movies, is trunk music, and LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch has taken the case. Thus begins Michael Connelly's fifth book in the Bosch series, "Trunk Music".

Bosch's investigation leads him to a plethora of potential suspects and motiv
Therin Knite
Dec 22, 2015 Therin Knite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller

[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

(view spoiler)
Jim
Apr 02, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it took me forever to read this (It's spring time, so even less time for sitting & reading.) I think it might be the best of the series so far. Harry is more upbeat & so is the story - if that can be said of any murder mystery. It was good & twisty. Good characters & well played all the way through.

This should definitely be read in order. From what I've read, that's Connelly's publishing order, not just this particular series since other series & characters interact
Brenda
Aug 01, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch arrived on the scene to find the grisly remains of a victim in the boot of a car – two gunshot wounds to the head. Wealth hadn’t helped Tony Aliso in the end – stuffed in the trunk of his Rolls Royce on Mulholland Drive was probably the last place he thought he would end up. On the job, the cops referred to this kind of killing as “Trunk Music” – appropriate Bosch thought, but then he wasn’t totally sure that was what it was…

Teamed with homicide detectives Jerry Edgar
Harry
Dec 01, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. E
Jim
Mar 22, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Trunk Music is a superb police procedural set in Los Angeles (where else?) and Las Vegas. From the very start, we are in the middle of a gruesome murder: A small-time Hollywood producer named Tony Aliso is found dead and stuffed in the drunk of his Rolls Royce Silver Cloud. Clues lead all over the place, with a number of false leads until it all comes together neatly in the end. Michael Connelly's detective Harry Bosch is in charge.

With Bosch, he is being chased as much as he chases -- by his p
Cathy DuPont
Sep 14, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Michael Connelly in the Harry Bosch series and fortunately I'm reading them in order, slowly but in order.

I started Connelly with Mickey Haller, The Lincoln Lawyer, and I really enjoy the rag-tag lawyer. He was fun and funny. After I read the third book, I started on the Bosch series in part because he was mentioned and played a part in the Haller series and I knew I was coming to an end of those.

Bosch was not a favorite, by far and I say that in my first reviews of the series. H
Carol
Jan 07, 2014 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What might not have caught the attention of someone not receptive to music, caught Bosch's ear. It's these details that keep me coming back to this series. Take this first sentence. I can see and I can hear and I'm hooked.

"AS HE DROVE along Mulholland Drive toward the Cahuenga Pass, Bosch began to hear the music. It came to him in fragments of strings and errant horn sequences, echoing off the brown summer-dried hills and blurred by the white noise of traffic carrying up from the Hollywood Free
Anastasia
Jul 17, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trunk Music by Michael Connelly is the 5th book in the Harry Bosch series. After being demoted to burglary, Harry returns to the homicide division and his first case is the shooting of a small time film producer found dead in the trunk of his rolls royce. He is discovered to have ties to the mob and Las Vegas, where harry comes across his ex-girlfriend who we met in the first book, Elenor Wish. Another great book in this series with just what we have come to expect. Lots of twists and plenty of ...more
Daniel
Mar 22, 2015 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A short take:

I got suckered: the big, noir-ish ad for the new Bosch series on Amazon caught my eye (it was early, I was waiting for a train, I hadn't yet had coffee, I was vulnerable man!) and a few days later I picked up this paperback at a used bookstore, thinking, "Alright, let's give Bosch a third try, I'm sure that this time I'll get hooked like everybody else, hell, this is book 5, I'm sure Connelly really hits his stride in this one."

Nope. Once again, I finished this book feeling mildly f
Sarah Anne
This one was enjoyable but the plot was not quite as good as the prior books. I do enjoy the way that we follow Harry along as he solves the crime rather than it being one of those mystery stories where they try to surprise you with who the killer is.
Kurt
Jun 21, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another entertaining entry in the Harry Bosch series. The basic mystery involves a body that turns up dead in the trunk of a Rolls Royce, and Connelly has already proved in many novels that he knows how to pace a mystery story. This one has a neat rhythm, with things going in a pretty straightforward fashion for about half the book, then a crazy left turn, then another crazy left turn, then everything just exploding. If you like well-done crime stories, then this is a well-done crime sto ...more
Richard
Jan 07, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
8/10

Another solid entry into the Harry Bosch canon here. I read a couple of reviews stating that they didn’t engage with the story as much as they had with previous outings but I enjoyed the whole Vegas and Organised Crime angle and showed Bosch as a fish out of water, well not really as he was still doing what he wanted and when he wanted to do it.

Bosch is called to a murder scene which looks straight out of “The Mobster Handbook” which leads Harry and the team to Las Vegas and to engage with t
Steven Kent
Nov 09, 2011 Steven Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mystery starts with a body found in the trunk of a Rolls-Royce on a ridge overlooking the Hollywood Bowl. Harry Bosch, LAPD's laconic super-detective, leads a team of three investigators as they attempt to solve the murder.

Like most Michael Connelly novels, the power of Trunk Music is in the details. Whether or not Connelly really knows police work is never in question, his books are so filled with details that you buy into everything he says.

So Bosch and his team--Detectives Edgar and Ryder
Wordsmith
Don't think for one minute (if it's a thing you or another would even notice) that because I dropped a star on this, the fifth book of the series, means I'm thinking about dumping Harry. "Get oudda here!" would be my reply. Followed up by a very emphatic "Never!" Just a few minor nit-picky nothings, that relate only to me, and not Michael Connelly, resulted, in the end, with my opinion being—this is not his best. Which means zero, as he is still miles ahead of the rest (except of course, the com ...more
Jannene
Feb 02, 2015 Jannene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another good book in the series. Bosch seems to become more human. He admits his short comings, takes the heat for his actions and also tries to take it for his team, and sees to still do the right thing. I liked him more in this book because of his emotions. I adore his new lieutenant. She stands by her people and trusts them. I found the story not as great as previous ones. I think Michael was just trying to build Bosch up as good cop with very human characteristics.
Domino Finn
May 29, 2014 Domino Finn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Harry Bosch novel. This one has great twists and turns, almost to the point of being unfair. It does feel like some threads are left open for the future, but the important matters are closed. Bosch is at it again, going against the FBI, IAD, and this time, even the mob. I like the trip to Vegas as well, and the additions to the team. Very solid book, again.
Nancy Steinle gummel
Trunk music by Michael Connelly is well written and moves at a fast clip. It's typical Connelly fare with good guy versus bad guy. Some of the good guys are bad and some bad guys are good.This book involves more of the actor - Bosch's love life. He keeps ahead of internal affairs while balancing the Feds and the police.
Rex Fuller
Dec 18, 2012 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and twisted again, very nicely. Really liked this one. The reversals and surprises were awfully well done. I really think Raymond Chandler smiled on it.
Ms.pegasus
May 23, 2016 Ms.pegasus rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I read this book after viewing season two of the Bosch TV series. What a pleasant surprise to find how much complexity the book added! Connelly brings his trademark skill at writing investigative procedurals to this book. It opens with Harry driving up to the crime scene. He can hear in the background a concert from the nearby Hollywood Bowl. Is this where the title comes from? Followers of Connelly will quickly recognize that he is too disciplined to indulge in such an intrusive authorial joke. ...more
Dorothy
Feb 06, 2015 Dorothy rated it really liked it
The bad boy of the LAPD, Hollywood Division, is back on the job in this fifth entry in the Harry Bosch series. We last met Harry in The Last Coyote. He had endured an earthquake that made his house uninhabitable - although he continued to live in it - and he was again under suspicion of having committed grave crimes. After his innocence was proved, he was forced to take leave to recover from stress-related issues. He's now completed that leave and returned to work full time.

He's back at work and
Jane Stewart
Aug 09, 2011 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Definitely above average for a crime mystery police procedural with a happy ending, but 2 stars for the narrator.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I was interested throughout. A woman comes into Harry’s life which made him more likeable. I loved Harry’s actions when a mobster kidnapped someone he cared about. It surprised me. This is my second Harry Bosch novel. There are at least 17 in the series. Book 1 had too many unlikeable characters. This (book 5) had several characters I liked or that interested me – i
Kp
Dec 26, 2014 Kp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skye Skye
Sep 25, 2014 Skye Skye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Bosch, Michael Connelly's notoriously brilliant and often misguided protagonist, has just returned to the LAPD Homicide unit after yet another involuntary respite. Immediately Harry and his team of three are called in to investigate a homicide far above the hills of Hollywood. Connelly wastes no time in masterfully setting up scenario, plot and setting with ingenious characterizations, a clear glimpse into police procedures and a definite slant in point of view along with Bosch's unique pe ...more
Tara
Now, I'm a Harry Bosch fan, but not so much with this book. The story never grabbed me. the mystery was a little convoluted and I didn't enjoy it. Which is weird because I love a gangster stories and I love mysteries so this really should have been a home run. I don't know what was lacking. Maybe it's that when we last saw Harry everything was falling apart and now we are seeing him again, but everything has gotten together already. And it takes a long time for us to find out what happened to al ...more
Robin
Jun 10, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Harry Bosch picks up a tough case on his first day back with the Detective Division. Movie Producer Tony Aliso has been found in the trunk of his Rolls Royce, two bullets in his head. As Harry looks into Aliso's life, he finds Tony was laundering money for the mob. When Harry flies to Las Vegas to follow up on some leads, he finds it harder and harder to tell the good guys from the bad.

This is an excellent addition to Connelly's Harry Bosch series. Harry seems to be in a good place since the eve
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update book details 2 9 Oct 18, 2016 11:36AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 7 Jun 01, 2016 04:53PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 5 Jun 01, 2016 04:52PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 11 5 Jun 01, 2016 04:49PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 9 6 Jun 01, 2016 04:48PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 6 6 Jun 01, 2016 04:47PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 7 4 Jun 01, 2016 04:45PM
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • Try Fear (Ty Buchanan)
  • A Morning for Flamingos (Dave Robicheaux, #4)
  • Mortal Prey (Lucas Davenport, #13)
  • Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher, #15)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #12)
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)

“What is important is not what you hear said, it's what you observe.” 93 likes
“Bosch had never liked Las Vegas, though he came often on cases. It shared a kinship with Los Angeles; both were places desperate people ran to. Often, when they ran from Los Angeles, they came here. It was the only place left.” 5 likes