Start by marking “Northworld Trilogy (Northworld, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Northworld Trilogy  (Northworld, #1-3)

Northworld Trilogy (Northworld #1-3)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,570 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
An omnibus edition featuring the three popular novels in the Northworld Trilogy--Northworld, Vengeance, and Justice--chronicles the adventures of Nils Hansen, who sent to uncover the truth about an intergalactic enigma responsible for the disappearance of three powerful fleets. Original.
Published March 1st 1999 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Northworld Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northworld Trilogy

Published In: Riverdale, NY
Date: 1990
Pgs: 791

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The inhuman Consensus rules the galaxy. A planetary survey team lead by Captain North has disappeared. The Consensus has sent 3 fleets to investigate the planet known as Northworld. All three have disappeared without a trace. No messages were returned. The fourth expedition consists of a single man, Commissioner Nils Hansen of Special Units. Spec Units are the heavi
Jan 06, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher
Feb 22, 2013 Eric Asher rated it it was amazing
I still remember buying Northworld off the shelf at a grocery store when it came out in 1990. I read it in a day. It was one of the first Drake books I read, and I've been hooked ever since. This is one of those stories I can read again and again and find new reasons to love it. Military SF classic. Don't miss it.
Derek
Jul 15, 2014 Derek marked it as queued
See my reviews of Northworld & Vengeance...
Richard Jackson
Sep 13, 2010 Richard Jackson rated it it was amazing
I actually finished this book a long time ago but I recently re-read it on my Kindle.

I've always been a big fan of David Drake and I enjoyed this series immensely. I especially liked his use of the old norse tales and mythology that formed the basis for the plot.
Roger
Sep 28, 2011 Roger rated it really liked it
I really like this book. Of course it is actually three novels collected in one book. I read the entire thing in a short period of time so by the time I got toward the end of the third one I was getting tired of the battle scenes.
Bryan Jacobson
Aug 06, 2012 Bryan Jacobson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Compelling characters, great action, great twists, but most of all a great story. David Drake translates stories and characters from Norse mythology to militaristic far-future science fiction.
Michael
Mar 23, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Sci fi/fantasy based upon the poetic Edda. Norse (Iceland) Mythology.
Marcus
May 28, 2017 Marcus rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

This book is an interesting mix of science fiction, space opera/drama, and mythology. There are several, and I do mean several, different views of thought going on here; but the author ties them altogether in a very coherent and logical order that doesn't rabble too much. The characters are very diverse situations constantly changing, and the drama/plot doesn't struggle to keep up or make a point. This is not a dry plodd
Dorothyeross
Jun 20, 2017 Dorothyeross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I have read other books by David Drake, but this was the strongest. He uses Norse myths to inspire a military science fiction story set in a world with multiple levels, ruled by humans who have become gods. There are multiple interweaving story lines. I loved that, but some may not. The characters in this book had unusual depth, most likely because of the mythic stories that they arise from. I highly recommend this book.
Douglas Cook
This trilogy was interesting to me in that it is based on a series of Norse legends. As well there are some cool bits of technology salted into a medieval setting. Lots of action.

First paragraphs from Book 1
Hansen saw the blast bubble like an orange puffball above the building roofs three kilometers away. He stuck his head out the side-window of his chauffeured aircar and heard the whump! over the rush of wind. "Don't get us above—" Hansen started to say, but the car was already sideslipping to
Paul Trembling
Jan 27, 2016 Paul Trembling rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting things about this omnibus edition is the afterword at the end of each book, where the author explains how each one was inspired by some of the ancient Icelandic poetic sagas. This may explain some of the loose ends and unresolved plot lines, which I found frustrating, yet contribute to the mythic quality of the stories. Or perhaps not! But in any case, the sheer pace and excitement of the writing didn't leave me much opportunity for ruminating on the background - that ...more
Doug Hoffman
Aug 08, 2014 Doug Hoffman rated it it was ok
I have read many works by David Drake and greatly enjoyed most of them. This one, not so much. My displeasure started with the chaos at the beginning. This book is muddled and confusing to the point I almost didn't read more than 20 pages. Many good authors have, on occasion, been tempted to try and overwhelm their readers with the mindblowing, far out, insanely imaginative future they have constructed with obfuscatory, incoherent prose. Great authors amaze their readers with the clarity of thei ...more
Kaze9999
Nov 26, 2013 Kaze9999 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the whole trilogy and not just the first book.

David Drake's best stories create characters and environments (such as soldiers in a theater of combat) which seem straightforward but are actually quite alien to those of us who live in modern, civilian settings.

Northworld transports a character from a futuristic civilization into a barbaric, violent world, where life is short and (for the majority) unpleasant.

A lot of authors spend page after page describing rustic sunsets and mu
Jim Batka
Mar 31, 2016 Jim Batka rated it liked it
Shelves: bought
At times very engaging & exciting and other times tedious.

The interwoven story line left me at times hoping to jump to a continuation of one character's story while not much caring about the others. All of the character story lines are tied into the overarching story by the end of each book. Overall an interesting work.

Since this is the author's SciFi take on Norse Mythology it makes for an interesting modern perspective of ancient stories. Occasionally the modern perspective leaves a little
Wim
Aug 05, 2014 Wim rated it really liked it
Definitely pick this up as the trilogy. You'll figure out rather quickly if you like the style and if you do, you'll enjoy the entire trilogy. I certainly liked the approach. It was an interesting twist and depth layered over a sci-fi plot just different enough to be intriguing. The world that is built is full and believable and the characters are quite diverse and mostly well fleshed-out.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. Almost guilty pleasure, but not quite so it got to keep its fourth sta
Emily G. Seanez
Feb 12, 2015 Emily G. Seanez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Drake's writing continues to change with the times.

The beginning was a little slow, although I have no idea what changes, could or even should be made. I almost stopped reading, when bam! the story grabbed me by the hair and carried me along. I started reading science fiction back in the dark ages in 1948, so I've read many of Drake's books. I particularly liked the way he portrayed Hanson's humanity as a man and a
soldier doing his duty as he saw it.
I think this book will appeal
Austin Myers
Mar 03, 2015 Austin Myers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Plots are over rated it seems

Disjointed and often times boring. If there were any science fiction I'm afraid I missed it. A really poor attempt to inject science into Norse mythology that I can only call a total fail. I wish I had back the time spent with it.

As a side note, I'm losing all faith in this supposed rating system. No one that enjoys science fiction could ever, under any circumstances, give this a high rating, I cringe that I couldn't give it zero stars.
Anna
Jul 01, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fantasy set in multiple violent worlds joined together by the matrix. Definitely an adult only read for violence and a little sex. The main character Hansen is not a hero, just a man doing his best. He and his fellows have the ability to move from world to world with no regard for time so the timeline of the book is non linear and even relates multiple stories that happen at the same time with some of the same characters.
Saša Marić
I have missed feelings for this book.
Initially I found it extremely hard to follow the story line, due to the extremely small chapters (jumping from one story to the other) and the writing style that just did not get me going.
I though luckily continued reading and started to enjoy the book, especially when there were the combat pages.
Of the trilogy the first book is hard to get through (but needed) while the second and third are actually nice.
Sue
Aug 24, 2013 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
I kept reading this book hoping it would get better, more cohesive, but at the end, I still think it was a story looking for some flesh to fill it out.
Based on Icelandic legends, it transports the story to space and has humans becoming gods across multiple dimensions. The characterisations are lacking, you never get a feel of any of the characters, and the story jumps years at a time with little feel for how a person would deal with this.
Jamie
Jun 12, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
This book was pretty good for those who enjoy martial sci-fi. I did enjoy the tie-ins with Norse legends, which Drake accomplished flawlessly. That said, the ending made me feel stupid, because either it was terribly anti-climactic, or I completely failed to get it. Drake spends three books setting up this giant epic, only to let us down at the end. Displeased!
Craig
Jun 21, 2015 Craig rated it liked it
This was a pretty good trilogy, but never one of my favorites by Drake. The Norse mythology and folklore is interesting, but I didn't think the setting or characters had the depth or were as well-realized as his Greek- or Roman-influenced novels. The opening of the first book was a little confusing and slow and I suppose I never regained my initial enthusiasm though I kept on for all 800 pages.
Joe Vella
Dec 02, 2015 Joe Vella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Task Master

This is many sided group of fighting stories best told by old men to young boys. It has all the right stuff to keep readers of all ages turning the pages.
I like tales that have a clear bedding. That is the reason for a 4 and not a 5 star.
Often the words used slowed by reading a bit. But everything else is great. It very well edited and moves around smoothly.
Paul Harry
Mar 13, 2013 Paul Harry rated it liked it
Unfortunately, many books like movies have a short window of opportunity to draw the reader in and for me this one didn't make it. I am giving the story 2 1/2 stars as a middle ground review as a courtesy as others may find the story more interesting.
David
Mar 14, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story, characters and universe. A military science-fiction novel with fantasy undertones. I thought this was artful writing and it kept me interested right through the three books. The end was a bit abrupt but I'd be very happy to read more of the same.
Tamara
Jan 14, 2012 Tamara rated it liked it
These are 3 books based on Scandinavian Edda poems, which are analogous to the Odyssey and Iliad. This makes for some weird storylines that occasionally just stop. The books were interesting, but I was unsatisfied with the conclusion.
Dennis Fahey
Nov 13, 2014 Dennis Fahey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No redeeming features, that's why it's FREE

Loosely referenced to Norse themes, but not very well done. gratuitous sex throughout, improbable escapes, miraculous victories....blah. Gorey as are the Norse references, but purposely. Had to skim a lot to finish.
Brian
Aug 31, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh

So-so editing. First 2/3's moved pretty well, not too hard to follow the shifts. Last 1/3 gets really jumpy, but not difficult to follow once you get what's going on. But the ending left me unsatisfied. Never resolved the main characters primary mission.
Dr. Steve Tuthill
Worth the read

Drake fashioned a classic tale into a creative interpretation that weaves a tapestry of characters, places, and possibilities. Rivals Asamov.
  • The Creatures of Man
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • The Forlorn
  • Hell's Gate (Multiverse, #1)
  • The Rise of the Terran Empire (Technic Civilization 3)
  • Planetfall
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Northworld (3 books)
  • Northworld (Northworld, #1)
  • Vengeance (Northworld, #2)
  • Justice (Northworld, #3)