Start by marking “Northworld Trilogy (Northworld, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Northworld Trilogy  (Northworld, #1-3)

Northworld Trilogy (Northworld #1-3)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,241 ratings  ·  41 reviews
An omnibus edition featuring the three popular novels in the Northworld Trilogy--Northworld, Vengeance, and Justice--chronicles the adventures of Nils Hansen, who sent to uncover the truth about an intergalactic enigma responsible for the disappearance of three powerful fleets. Original.
Published March 1st 1999 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Northworld Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northworld Trilogy

Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth MoonOn Basilisk Station by David WeberMarch Upcountry by David WeberThe Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold1632 by Eric Flint
(Former catalog) Baen Free Library
16th out of 39 books — 23 voters
The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonRunemarks by Joanne HarrisThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousEaters of the Dead by Michael CrichtonThe Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Norse Mythology
92nd out of 148 books — 272 voters

More lists with this book...

Doug Hoffman
I have read many works by David Drake and greatly enjoyed most of them. This one, not so much. My displeasure started with the chaos at the beginning. This book is muddled and confusing to the point I almost didn't read more than 20 pages. Many good authors have, on occasion, been tempted to try and overwhelm their readers with the mindblowing, far out, insanely imaginative future they have constructed with obfuscatory, incoherent prose. Great authors amaze their readers with the clarity of thei ...more
Eric Asher
I still remember buying Northworld off the shelf at a grocery store when it came out in 1990. I read it in a day. It was one of the first Drake books I read, and I've been hooked ever since. This is one of those stories I can read again and again and find new reasons to love it. Military SF classic. Don't miss it.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
See my reviews of Northworld & Vengeance...
Richard Jackson
I actually finished this book a long time ago but I recently re-read it on my Kindle.

I've always been a big fan of David Drake and I enjoyed this series immensely. I especially liked his use of the old norse tales and mythology that formed the basis for the plot.
I really like this book. Of course it is actually three novels collected in one book. I read the entire thing in a short period of time so by the time I got toward the end of the third one I was getting tired of the battle scenes.
Bryan Jacobson
Compelling characters, great action, great twists, but most of all a great story. David Drake translates stories and characters from Norse mythology to militaristic far-future science fiction.
Sci fi/fantasy based upon the poetic Edda. Norse (Iceland) Mythology.
Emily G. Seanez
Excellent book! Drake's writing continues to change with the times.

The beginning was a little slow, although I have no idea what changes, could or even should be made. I almost stopped reading, when bam! the story grabbed me by the hair and carried me along. I started reading science fiction back in the dark ages in 1948, so I've read many of Drake's books. I particularly liked the way he portrayed Hanson's humanity as a man and a
soldier doing his duty as he saw it.
I think this book will appeal
Definitely pick this up as the trilogy. You'll figure out rather quickly if you like the style and if you do, you'll enjoy the entire trilogy. I certainly liked the approach. It was an interesting twist and depth layered over a sci-fi plot just different enough to be intriguing. The world that is built is full and believable and the characters are quite diverse and mostly well fleshed-out.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. Almost guilty pleasure, but not quite so it got to keep its fourth sta
Douglas Cook
This trilogy was interesting to me in that it is based on a series of Norse legends. As well there are some cool bits of technology salted into a medieval setting. Lots of action.

First paragraphs from Book 1
Hansen saw the blast bubble like an orange puffball above the building roofs three kilometers away. He stuck his head out the side-window of his chauffeured aircar and heard the whump! over the rush of wind. "Don't get us above—" Hansen started to say, but the car was already sideslipping to
This review is for the whole trilogy and not just the first book.

David Drake's best stories create characters and environments (such as soldiers in a theater of combat) which seem straightforward but are actually quite alien to those of us who live in modern, civilian settings.

Northworld transports a character from a futuristic civilization into a barbaric, violent world, where life is short and (for the majority) unpleasant.

A lot of authors spend page after page describing rustic sunsets and mu
Austin Myers
Plots are over rated it seems

Disjointed and often times boring. If there were any science fiction I'm afraid I missed it. A really poor attempt to inject science into Norse mythology that I can only call a total fail. I wish I had back the time spent with it.

As a side note, I'm losing all faith in this supposed rating system. No one that enjoys science fiction could ever, under any circumstances, give this a high rating, I cringe that I couldn't give it zero stars.
This was a pretty good trilogy, but never one of my favorites by Drake. The Norse mythology and folklore is interesting, but I didn't think the setting or characters had the depth or were as well-realized as his Greek- or Roman-influenced novels. The opening of the first book was a little confusing and slow and I suppose I never regained my initial enthusiasm though I kept on for all 800 pages.
Dennis Fahey
No redeeming features, that's why it's FREE

Loosely referenced to Norse themes, but not very well done. gratuitous sex throughout, improbable escapes, miraculous victories....blah. Gorey as are the Norse references, but purposely. Had to skim a lot to finish.
Al Claycamp
An easy read that is very entertaining.

I would recommend this book to anybody who likes science-fiction and military novels. It reminds me of some of the work of John Ringo.
Dr. Steve Tuthill
Worth the read

Drake fashioned a classic tale into a creative interpretation that weaves a tapestry of characters, places, and possibilities. Rivals Asamov.
Stanley Marshall

Another book from David Drake that will keep you immersed in it. I enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down.
Wonderful worlds

Always a great story teller, Drake never disappoints. Fast action and beautiful visions connect to make for non stop reading
Jimmy McNally
Three thrilling reads!

I haven't read Drake for years and years. So glad I found this three pack for a steal. Buy this!!!!!!!
William Mayorga
Something about it kept me reading almost the entire book within about 3 days.
Some of the best David Drake I have read I several years.
Jeff Goetter
This was my least favorite series from Mr. Drake, I finished it but had to force myself to do it.
Saša Marić
I have missed feelings for this book.
Initially I found it extremely hard to follow the story line, due to the extremely small chapters (jumping from one story to the other) and the writing style that just did not get me going.
I though luckily continued reading and started to enjoy the book, especially when there were the combat pages.
Of the trilogy the first book is hard to get through (but needed) while the second and third are actually nice.
I kept reading this book hoping it would get better, more cohesive, but at the end, I still think it was a story looking for some flesh to fill it out.
Based on Icelandic legends, it transports the story to space and has humans becoming gods across multiple dimensions. The characterisations are lacking, you never get a feel of any of the characters, and the story jumps years at a time with little feel for how a person would deal with this.
This book was pretty good for those who enjoy martial sci-fi. I did enjoy the tie-ins with Norse legends, which Drake accomplished flawlessly. That said, the ending made me feel stupid, because either it was terribly anti-climactic, or I completely failed to get it. Drake spends three books setting up this giant epic, only to let us down at the end. Displeased!
Very interesting story, characters and universe. A military science-fiction novel with fantasy undertones. I thought this was artful writing and it kept me interested right through the three books. The end was a bit abrupt but I'd be very happy to read more of the same.
Paul Harry
Unfortunately, many books like movies have a short window of opportunity to draw the reader in and for me this one didn't make it. I am giving the story 2 1/2 stars as a middle ground review as a courtesy as others may find the story more interesting.
These are 3 books based on Scandinavian Edda poems, which are analogous to the Odyssey and Iliad. This makes for some weird storylines that occasionally just stop. The books were interesting, but I was unsatisfied with the conclusion.
The cover image is misleading. NORTHWORLD is not a frozen planet; it is a world discovered by Captain North of the Consensus of Worlds. And, on some planes of the Matrix, it is called Earth...
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Hell's Gate (Multiverse, #1)
  • The Forlorn
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • The Multiplex Man
  • Pandora's Legions
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Northworld (3 books)
  • Northworld (Northworld, #1)
  • Vengeance (Northworld, #2)
  • Justice (Northworld, #3)
Hammer's Slammers (Hammer's Slammers, #0) With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1) Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2) An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1) The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)