Sooner or Later

Sooner or Later (Deliverance Company #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,152 ratings  ·  69 reviews

Dear Jack,

I may be a rough, tough solider of fortune but I've me my match!

I'm in Central America on a no-win job and regretting every minute. A woman named Letty Madden hired me to find her missing brother. I'd figured this prim and proper Texas postmistress would run and hide when I named my price: one night. I was wrong.

I swear the woman is my punishment for never giving

Published (first published April 25th 1996)

Pr Latta
[audio] Not the Debbie Macomber of Blossom Street, this second in the Deliverance Company series adds suspense and some descriptive zing to the "good girl with "traditional" values changes bad boy" romance plot. There is action (but not Steve Berry or James Rollins or even Brockman style), disasters (with kisses to make it better), and not everything is happily ever after. This was almost chaste for those seeking romantic suspense, but some detailed descriptions of both the romance and the viole...more
Ronica
Not many people in the town of Boothill, TX knows the real Shaun Murphy, most don’t even know his first name and he prefers it this way. He is surprised when Letty Madden the postmistress of the town seeks his help in finding her brother in he is taken aback.

Letty Madden knows something is terribly wrong with he twin brother Luke, she will do anything to save him including considering the indecent proposal Murphy makes her.

Sooner or Later has it all intrigue, a dashing hero and a fearless heroin...more
Sheena
This book was linked to the last book I read by Debbie, Someday Soon. Murphy had a small part in the book but he is one of those characters that you cant get out of your head. Well, he got his story in this book and it was awesome! He got EXACTLY what was coming to him! My mom is a huge fan of Debbie Macomber...I am starting to become one myself. She reminds me alot of Nicholas Sparks...her stories are very touching and heart warming.
LoveRomance
This book was so disappointing. I was caught at the airport with nothing to read (nook can't be used during take off or landing!), so picked this book up from the "new" shelf at the airport Borders. Since when is 1996 new?!? I hate it that I was in a rush and forgot to check copyright date (which we all need to do now even if book is on "new" shelf). This story was fragmented and did not work for me at all. It's almost like the characters wanted to be from 1880, even though it is supposed to be...more
Marianne
Sooner or Later is the second of Debbie Macomber’s Deliverance Company novels and consists of two stories told in tandem. In the main story, Letty Madden, postmistress of Boothill, Texas tries to employ Deliverance Company mercenary, Shaun Murphy to go with her to the troubled Central American country of Zarcero to rescue her twin brother, missionary, Luke Madden. But Murphy has no intention of helping her out, and, to put her off, he tells her he will only agree if she spends a night with him,...more
Liz
"Oh, dear heavens!" she thought. "It was just so full of promise, of wonder, of excitement."

But then, she realized what time had taught her. That she should have known better. That her whimsical wishes and desires had gotten the better of her once again.

While this was a romance book, it just wasn't the romance book she'd hoped for . . .

***********************************
Ok, enough of the farce. Seriously, if you write a romance book, people have sex. Really. Real, adult, no-holds-barred, rowdy o...more
Tiffany
I was actually thrown by this book and had to look at the cover multiple times just to make sure that it was a Debbie Macomber novel. I like that Debbie's books are generally fluffy, icing on type books with usually a great lovestory thrown in. In general there are church going people in the book and the language is usually mild. But in between most things are fluffy happily ever after type stories.

This book is what I would definitely call a romance novel. It certainly had adult material that n...more
Nicola
This was a fairly predictable romance. Naturally neither party could admit their attraction to one another - as the were so wrong for each other. Both had past issues that were difficult to overcome. However, in the middle of a war-torn country, searching for a condemned missionary, love bloomed.
A bit corny. A bit unrealistic. Still, it pulled at my heart strings, while still satisfying my interest in "more" in a story. I liked that the search for Luke was not an easy one, and that there was mo...more
April Suter
A sexy novel of a everyday postmistress, Letty, needing someone to help find her missionary-preacher brother who is in a unsettled country. That someone is Murphy, now the owner of Deliverance Company. So they travel together in very unsafe conditions to find they have a connection, but Murphy refuses to end up like his buddies, Cain and Mallory, married and no soldier work.

Another member of the Deliverance Company has his own troubles. Keller is attracted to Marcie and is tempted to give up his...more
Stefanie M Sydnor
Not the typical Debbie Macomber but it was still a good read...sad at times but end took a good twist!
Ella
It reminded me a lot of romancing the stone. But it was pretty good.
Laura Beasley
Good Story. Fairly predictable but some surprises. Story deals with Letty who hires Shaun Murphy to find her brother Luke who is a missionary in Central America and had been kidnapped. The story also includes other love relationships-- between Luke and Rosita and and between Marcie, Jack(Johnny) and Clifford. Three love stories in one book. The story deals with finding Luke. It keeps your interest.
Lisa
Sooner or Later was definitely a good summer read. It was easy reading, with characters that were likable. One aspect I found somewhat annoying was the character attitudes regarding sexuality and sex. However, by the end of the story, all of the characters figured out what their true feelings where and all ended well.
Got about halfway through this one. The hero is such a jerk that I just don't care about the rest of it. You can hardly call it a romance novel; there's no romance about it at all. If you want a good book in this genre, read Suzanne Brockmann's "Out of Control." That's what this book wanted to be and wasn't.
Dawn
Good book with just enough suspense and romance combined. Definately not the Debbie Macomber I am use to with the Blossom street books or the Cedar Cove books. Glad I found these books because they are very good reading and I couldn't wait to get back to reading them every night.
Brenda
Now that was a great Debbie Macomber novel ... read it in a day! It does my heart good to read a really good book every now and then. Postmistress hires help to locate her brother in South America. On the edge of your seat adventure mixed with a bit of romance!
Theresa Contreras
Not a big fan of two love stories going on at the same time, and this book has zero "love scenes" so that put a damper on it. My first by Debbie Macomber, not sure if I'll giver her another go. Good writing but not my taste.
Melz
Started off not so great but got better. I was more interested in the secondary characters than the main ones. Letty wasn't a very likeable main character. She had no draw, no personality & I just couldn't connect with her.
Margo Carney
This was the first Debbie Macomber book I read and I fell in love with this author! Next I read the other two books in this little series and then ventured off to explore her other books. So far I haven't been disappointed.
Carol
Really enjoyed this book. A little different than her Cedar Cove series. A lot of excitement and like a movie a tear jerker but good. Would recommend this book if you enjoy reading Debbie Macomber's books.
Christina
Having read more of her later books, this one was ok. One thing that kept it from being worse is that it didn't turn out to be as completely predictable as it initially seemed it would a few chapters in.
Christina
This book was very well written it took me on an emotional roller-coaster that I have never felt in a book the uncertainty of the different stories grabs ahold of you and does not let go.

Kiara Bianchi
Downloaded a bunch of free books to read on my phone from library web page, this was one that was available. Was okay, quick-light read, probably won't read another from same author.
Pachomp
It's from a book box I got from a very good friend. She said all the books were excellent. I just have too many books to read and not enough time to read them so I'm giving some away.
Lindsey Faye
My first Debbie Macomber book. I really enjoyed it. Total recommend to romance readers.

The character of Murphy reminds me of Eliot Spencer in the television show, Leverage.
Germaine Chevarie
This book was different from all the other books I've read from Debbie Macomber. Very interesting though! Suspense, romance, you name it, it's in there!
Marlene
Didn't enjoy this book, as much as the others I have read by this author.
Story line did not flow and was unbelievable at various points in the story line.
Cecelia
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!! The emotional ups and down will leave you spinning for days even though you couldnt put it down and finished it in one!
Margaret Fraleigh
I love Debbie Macomber stories. This one was a little different than her usual ones.
But I loved it.

Never had a Debbie Macomber book that I disliked.
Sandra Knapp
Maybe not typical Debbie Macomber, but still recognizable as her style. A nice story, with a little suspense, and rather cute. I enjoyed it well enough.
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction\For the Love of Pete
  • Baby at His Convenience
  • Western Skies: Song of the West / Boundary Lines
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Lone Star Winter: The Winter Soldier\Cattleman's Pride
  • Kiss Me Quick (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Harlequin Blaze, #390)
  • Levet (Guardians of Eternity, #9.5)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)