Start by marking “Choosers of the Slain (Paladin of Shadows, #3)” as Want to Read:
Choosers of the Slain (Paladin of Shadows, #3)

Choosers of the Slain (Paladin of Shadows #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,584 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Sequel to Ghost and Kildar.
Former SEAL Michael Harmon (Ghost, Kildar) has a pretty good life. He's settled down in the country of Georgia and built a solid commando-quality militia out of his local retainers. The Keldara have an ancient history of being first-class mountain warriors and all they needed was a few million in modern weapons and training to bring them up to sp
Published July 1st 2006 by Baen (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Choosers of the Slain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosers of the Slain

Roberta
Apr 03, 2008 Roberta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ringo fans, men's adventure, dom/sub sex
Shelves: adventure
More action, less sex. Better than its predecessors.

Definitely do not pick it up in the middle of the series though as you at least need to read Kildar before reading this one as it is a continuation.

In this book, Mike gets a simple mission to rescue the daughter of a Senator's major campaign contributor or so he thinks. He ends up taking his team the Mountain Tigers to try and find the girl and ends up uncovering a sex slave scam that implicates leaders of various governments world-wide.

Very
Steven Sheeley
This series is awesome. The action is well written, the characters are well developed and plot is well thought out. The author writes as if he has been in these situations himself and the quality shows through. One word of caution, there are parts that are not appropriate for the under PG13 crowd, IMNSHO, however, i found that they were tastefully written and did not detract from the story or appear as if they were tossed in for gratuitous reasons. John Ringo is one of my favorite authors and I ...more
William Bentrim
Choosers of the Slain by John Ringo

Politics and black mail fuel the action in this Ringo follow up to the Kildar. Mike is at it again, facing daunting odds with ambivalence in his heart but courage and fire in his action. Hookers are being snuffed and it is impacting his people and the politics of his world.

Ringo dives in were fools fear to tread. He attacks the structure of Albanian prostitution but in essence he attacks the forcible implementation of the entire industry. According to Wikipedi
Robert
More training, enlistments, and missions of Mike Harmon the Kildar's, elite retainers, now know as the Mountain Tigers. Less BDS&M in this book. Mike is actually taking it easy and respecting the Kildara women. The missions are mainly against the Chechens and Albanian gangs; putting a major dent in their drug and slave trades. Great writing, good stories.
Andreas
In the third book of the series, things really start to heat up. Ringo takes us on a scenic tour of the white slavery movement in Eastern Europe as a senator “hires” Mike and his Mountain Tigers retainers to find a girl caught up in prostitution and slavery. The subject matter is quite awful but such is reality.

Ringo is really hitting his stride here with great action scenes and development of the characters. This book also inserts some interesting interactions with senior officials of various s
Michael
These books... I don't know why I read them. It is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

It is just wonderful wish(?)fulfillment, and I can't do a better review then the person who originally started the "Oh John Ringo, no" meme. http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753...

I started this book 6 or so months ago after I had finished the previous two. I really can't explain these books. You will either enjoy them, or hate them utterly. I don't really think there is an in-between, and I don't know
Bry Malakas
action packed book...
Isaac
This was supposed to be the top of the plot arc, but I just didn't love it. It's huge messy, and split all over.

Ringo has a tendency to sometimes be bogged down in details over the view of the the characters, and this starts to come out here with the splits in perspective.

Still I'd recommend it to anyone who like the others, because it sets up the next book.
Art
Nov 24, 2013 Art rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Ringo does a good job of writing a hard-hitting story, with an eye to keen action. He approaches the whole idea of forced prostitution and kidnap/slavery with a critical eye. I enjoyed this one, especially since he's added even more sensory description, and made it more interesting with a deeper plot and interwoven ideas. I hope he'll do even more in the next one.
Mrs Johnnie Tate
Aug 15, 2011 Mrs Johnnie Tate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: never-finished
Okay, this is just getting way to far into the PERFECT PALADIN unbelievable realm. Stopped reading this to pick up something a bit more Sci-Fi and beleivable. Will pick it up again later.
Steed
Lot's of action and good fun. Technically very accurate. I like that in a book. I hate it when the author call magazines clips. It helps to read the series in order.
Bryan457
Mike and his keldara blast a gaping hole in the Balkan sex trade.
I think our antihero rapes a prostitute in this one.
Male fantasy.
Warning graphic sex and violence.
Dave Spence
Found the action sequences quite entertaining. Well detailed. However I can do without sadomasochistic sex scenes. They don't add anything to the story IMHO.
Nicole
Another American version of James Bond, but grittier. A bad man who does good things, but an honest bad man. Nice action.
Peter Fiske
This is the third time I've read these books and still don't get tired of them.
Sheila
Much better than the previous books in this series.
Anthony Sawyers
As always, I love this series. It speaks to my dark side.
Justin
Third book in the series which gets better and funnier
Eugene Braunfeld
Action packed like all his previous books!
Dan
Apr 13, 2009 Dan added it
Typical action packed Ringo book.
Lisa Hunt
Too much kinky sex.
Kelvin
Kelvin added it
Jan 30, 2015
  • Empire From the Ashes (Dahak, #1-3)
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • The Weapon (Freehold Series)
  • A State of Disobedience
  • The Chosen (Raj Whitehall, #6)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

Paladin of Shadows (6 books)
  • Ghost (Paladin of Shadows, #1)
  • Kildar (Paladin of Shadows, #2)
  • Unto the Breach (Paladin of Shadows, #4)
  • A Deeper Blue (Paladin of Shadows, #5)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)
A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1) Gust Front (Posleen War, #2) Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1) Citadel (Troy Rising, #2) When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)