Start by marking “Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  20 reviews

During his early teens, Jeff Bratton started using drugs. At first, alcohol and pot, but quickly he spiraled into using cocaine, ketamine, crystal meth and eventually heroin.

How could this wonderful son, loving brother, and star athlete lose himself to drugs? How could his parents be so clueless? How could his mother, the long-term head of a private school, be so bli

Published (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Close

Stan Murai
This story is all too familiar to any
parent who has had to deal with the
addiction problems of one's own child.
It is about the love that prevails in
spite of the despair and sorrow that
a parent suffers not knowing what
to do in order to save a child's life.
No real solution for addiction is given,
but the author's son does recover and
allows the healing of the whole family.
It is a story of love and hope that may
offer strength and comfort to those who
live their lives with similar painful
experie
Shirley
Heart wrenching story by a mother of an addict son. A helpful and hopeful book for anyone who loves an addict!
Stacey
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! This book is exactly what I needed after my son's relapse.
Cheri
Heartwrenching, Educational & Hopeful.
Roxanna zalesny
This is a horrifying account of how addiction can tear at the seams that hold a family together. The story--the same as millions of others--and yet unique too, shows how addiction impacts the family and threatens to destroy hope. Yet, this mother doesn't give up. She shares her struggle to stay close in love while desperately attempting to maintain boundaries to protect herself and not aide her son's seeming suicidal addiction all the while trying to construct meaning. This family's story, like ...more
Sharon Warner
As a child, I witnessed all manner of adult F-ups. (I started to write screw-ups, but these mistakes I'm thinking of were life-changing.) Perhaps more than most young people, I weighed my own actions based on what I had seen befall those nearest and dearest. While I certainly made my own mistakes, they were not repeats; they were originals. I did not get pregnant by accident--repeatedly--for instance. Assertions that we all have to learn the hard way are quite simply wrong. Which is why I apprec ...more
Tara Howard
I couldn't get into this book. Maybe because it's written from the mother and I was looking more for a story of the addict themselves to fully try n understand the things they go through and their thought process. It seemed long and drawn out to me. I read a couple chapters but just couldn't get into it.
Amber
I really hoped I'd enjoy this book. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the third chapter. I felt like it was too dry to keep my interest. I usually like reading about true stories but this one just left me struggling to stay focused. I must say it was a big disappointment.
Melanie
This is powerful book written by a brave mom and the tough choices she had to make so her son would live. It is a book I couldn't put down. It was emotionally powerful but, I needed to read it and get information for what I have gone through with family members.
Corny
This harrowing account of a son's addiction, told by his mother, is deeply moving and a must read for parents of addicts. Often repetitive but devastatingly honest, the book probes the mysteries of addictive behavior and its toxic effects on the family of an addict. However, it offers a strong note of hope in describing the agony of recovery and the continuing battle against relapses. The book concludes with a helpful afterword by the psychiatrist that treated the son. Parents of addicts will re ...more
Lisa Gennusa-O'Connell
This was the best book I've read yet on the subject of addiction and its effects on the addict and his/her family. God Bless anyone and everyone who suffers with or loves someone who suffers with this most terrible disease.
Penny
This is an inspirational book because it must have taken so much courage to write - having met Libby she explained how various initial attempts which didn't get so close to the knuckle were rejected and she really had to lay bear her pain and sense of guilt - as she put it -"strip off the layer of cellophane" -to write this book.
I am not a mother so I cant know how scary her situation was but I can certainly share her pain through this book.
It is a must read for anyone who is dealing with a lo
Chelsea
A true story of the author's son's struggle with drug addiction. I feel bad to rate it so low, because it truly is an amazing story. However, I have read a lot of books on the same topic, and this one just paled in comparison writing-wise. I think my problem was with the author herself - it's not my place to judge a mother, and I'm sure it was extremely hard to cope in her situation...but she kept jetting off to Italy at really inopportune moments. It bothered me.
Stephanie
Most beautiful book. If you know someone or is someone struggling with drug addiction, please read this.
Ladyoftheloom
You have to stay close don't you? What else can you do if you are a mother who loves her child.
Ashlee Boyle
Good read if you know of someone struggling with any type of addiction.
Elizabeth
May 19, 2009 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, npr
As heard on Midday on WYPR.
Cece Fontaine
Heartfelt...a true story that taught me many valuable lessons.
Alison
I tried to get into this book but I just couldn't.
Blondstreaks
Heartbreaking but beautifully written and loving.
Read for your future!
Read for your future! is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2015
Amber Chapais
Amber Chapais marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Belinda Bersiks
Belinda Bersiks marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Joyce Fallier
Joyce Fallier marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Whitney Cox
Whitney Cox marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Linda Schaeber
Linda Schaeber marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
  • The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare
  • Rolling Away: My Agony with Ecstasy
  • Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption
  • Dying To Survive
  • You Don't Look Sick!: Living Well with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • Cocaine's Son: A Memoir
  • From every end of this earth : 13 families and the new lives they made in America
  • Dylan's Nam
  • Shade It Black: Death and After in Iraq
  • Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter
  • Body Work
  • The Unbreakable Boy: A Father's Fear, a Son's Courage, and a Story of Unconditional Love
  • Hannah's Voice
  • Josie's Story: A Mother's Inspiring Crusade to Make Medical Care Safe
  • Strong at the Broken Places: Voices of Illness, A Chorus of Hope
  • Ninety Days: A Memoir of Recovery
  • In His Sights: A True Story of Love and Obsession
  • Charity Case: How the Nonprofit Community Can Stand Up for Itself and Really Change the World