Start by marking “Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle” as Want to Read:
Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle

Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  459 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Many books may tell you how to cast a Wiccan circle, but none really bother to explain why. When you finish reading The Elements of Ritual, you'll know what each step of the circle-casting ceremony means, why it's there, and what it accomplishes. You'll learn several alternative approaches to each step, and you'll be empowered to write your own effective ceremonies using s

Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Ritual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Ritual

Varja Askeland
I absolutly love this book though I havn't finished it yet.
She explains everything so deeply and it's very easy to understand. You become glammered from the first page and can not put it down.
Deborah Lipp and also Eileen Holland, who wrote The Wicca Handbook, are the new Cunningham and Buckland!

Letitia Webb
The Elements of Ritual is one of the best books I have read regarding Wicca and ritual.
Unlike so many books available now, Elements not only describes a typical Wiccan ritual, it pulls apart and dissects every step, giving the myths, purpose and options for each and every step done in the circle.

Elements Of Ritual utilises the elements to section each part of ritual, into a thorough description of each and every angle.
Earth is how the step is performed, and balances the mystical with practical c
Patti
The most insightful, detailed, thorough book on ritual I have read. The author delves deeply into the subject matter and leaves the reader with the tools to craft his or her own rituals. An excellent book.
Meg
I read this book many years ago, but here's my review from the time:
A very interesting and worthwhile book, albeit with a few flaws. This book is an in-depth examination of the four elements and the structure of Wiccan ritual. It could interest readers on many levels, from "beginner" to "advanced," and I really appreciated its thoroughness and depth. My main caveat is that, as indicated by the subtitle, this book is written from a specifically Wiccan perspective and may be a little frustrating f
Helena
This book came highly recommended to me as a model of how Wiccan books should be written. I was assured that it provides the why in addition to the more readily available how of ritual, and thus expected an intelligent and well-researched document that enlightened its readers to the origins of Wiccan ritual practices. While The Elements of Ritual did not meet my lofty expectations, the book redeemed itself for me with the inclusion of unique and breathtaking ritual styles.
Lipp establishes the to
Claudia Loureiro
I can't say enough good things about how this book is presented and the material it covers. She takes one step by step through the building blocks of ritual, all the while detailing the reasons why one does this or that, and the reasons one should or should not do something else.
The Elements Of Ritual is, there for, an amazing thorough investigation of advanced Wiccan ritual, an in-depth study for those who are serious about Wicca. The elements and stages of ritual are explained from several ang
Kendra
Not a bad read for those who are into very formal or structural rituals. The author does a good job of explaining why one should be precise and detailed, which works for those who are, or who want to be. For those who don't it may come across as somewhat high-handed. However, it's definitely an interesting read and in and of themselves the rituals are very well done.
Bianca Bradley
I have found that if you like this author, then you will be more suited to going to the more traditional branches of Wicca. If you like Cunningham and feel drawn to him, then you are more suited to the non ceremonial ways.

I like this author, she isn't afraid to explain why. She covers new ground, not the usual regurgitation of Llewellyn 101 stuff.
Karenshaller
for people like me who are really into elemental correspondences, this book breaks down ritual structure from the point of view" of each element. It gives you so many more angles from which to appreciate all the nuances. Quadruple your enjoyment and understanding.
Regina Hunter
Was not ready to read it, considering the level of it. Not that it is hard comprehend, it is just that, it need a bit of experience in Wicca to work with this book, or some of the things. Also a helpful source.
Kosjitov
Well thought out and in depth. Thorough. Deb'a writing style is easy to understand. The breadth of the material is just exhaustive. It can be almost overwhelming
Raven Seanchai
If you're into writing Wiccan ritual, this is a great book. It explains why you do the certain steps that you do.
Katherine Brashear
It explains why you do the things you do in ritual. It's very informational, and organized.
Not a bad book, but not to my tastes.
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Creola
Creola marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Rashkasa
Rashkasa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Belinda Dhu
Belinda Dhu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Tuxian
Tuxian is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Jen Stewart
Jen Stewart marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
T Johnson
T Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Virginia McKee
Virginia McKee marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Sami
Sami marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Jezzi
Jezzi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Angels
Angels marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Dana Peterson
Dana Peterson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Natural Magic
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Witches' God
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up
  • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects
  • Wiccan Mysteries: Ancient Origins & Teachings
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life The Study of Witchcraft: A Guidebook to Advanced Wicca The Way of Four Spellbook: Working Magic with the Elements Merry Meet Again: Lessons, Life & Love on the Path of a Wiccan High Priestess The Ultimate James Bond Fan Book