Start by marking “Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle” as Want to Read:
Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle

Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  550 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

Many books may tell you how to cast a Wiccan circle, but none really bother to explain why. When you finish reading The Elements of Ritual, you'll know what each step of the circle-casting ceremony means, why it's there, and what it accomplishes. You'll learn several alternative approaches to each step, and you'll be empowered to write your own effective ceremonies using s

Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Ritual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Ritual

Letitia
Jul 06, 2014 Letitia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
The Elements of Ritual is one of the best books I have read regarding Wicca and ritual.
Unlike so many books available now, Elements not only describes a typical Wiccan ritual, it pulls apart and dissects every step, giving the myths, purpose and options for each and every step done in the circle.

Elements Of Ritual utilises the elements to section each part of ritual, into a thorough description of each and every angle.
Earth is how the step is performed, and balances the mystical with practical c
Varja Askeland
Nov 15, 2012 Varja Askeland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutly love this book though I havn't finished it yet.
She explains everything so deeply and it's very easy to understand. You become glammered from the first page and can not put it down.
Deborah Lipp and also Eileen Holland, who wrote The Wicca Handbook, are the new Cunningham and Buckland!

Patti
Oct 11, 2010 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most insightful, detailed, thorough book on ritual I have read. The author delves deeply into the subject matter and leaves the reader with the tools to craft his or her own rituals. An excellent book.
Meg
Jan 02, 2012 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
I read this book many years ago, but here's my review from the time:
A very interesting and worthwhile book, albeit with a few flaws. This book is an in-depth examination of the four elements and the structure of Wiccan ritual. It could interest readers on many levels, from "beginner" to "advanced," and I really appreciated its thoroughness and depth. My main caveat is that, as indicated by the subtitle, this book is written from a specifically Wiccan perspective and may be a little frustrating f
Helena
This book came highly recommended to me as a model of how Wiccan books should be written. I was assured that it provides the why in addition to the more readily available how of ritual, and thus expected an intelligent and well-researched document that enlightened its readers to the origins of Wiccan ritual practices. While The Elements of Ritual did not meet my lofty expectations, the book redeemed itself for me with the inclusion of unique and breathtaking ritual styles.
Lipp establishes the to
Claudia Loureiro
Jun 06, 2014 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchery
I can't say enough good things about how this book is presented and the material it covers. She takes one step by step through the building blocks of ritual, all the while detailing the reasons why one does this or that, and the reasons one should or should not do something else.
The Elements Of Ritual is, there for, an amazing thorough investigation of advanced Wiccan ritual, an in-depth study for those who are serious about Wicca. The elements and stages of ritual are explained from several ang
Kendra
Not a bad read for those who are into very formal or structural rituals. The author does a good job of explaining why one should be precise and detailed, which works for those who are, or who want to be. For those who don't it may come across as somewhat high-handed. However, it's definitely an interesting read and in and of themselves the rituals are very well done.
Bianca Bradley
Jul 24, 2013 Bianca Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have found that if you like this author, then you will be more suited to going to the more traditional branches of Wicca. If you like Cunningham and feel drawn to him, then you are more suited to the non ceremonial ways.

I like this author, she isn't afraid to explain why. She covers new ground, not the usual regurgitation of Llewellyn 101 stuff.
Ang
Nov 14, 2015 Ang rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read some positive reviews so I picked up this book but I personally do not agree with their findings. The book is an unorganized mess that insults anyone who creates sacred space different than the author. The author would have been better served to simply lay out her structure without needless commentary.
Karenshaller
for people like me who are really into elemental correspondences, this book breaks down ritual structure from the point of view" of each element. It gives you so many more angles from which to appreciate all the nuances. Quadruple your enjoyment and understanding.
Caroline Åsgård
I read a sample, and just through that found out that this is a must-read book for anyone interested in Wicca / witchcraft.
It explains things more in depth and why and how things are connected, explained in a really interesting way.
Regina Hunter
Jul 28, 2010 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was not ready to read it, considering the level of it. Not that it is hard comprehend, it is just that, it need a bit of experience in Wicca to work with this book, or some of the things. Also a helpful source.
Kosjitov
Sep 07, 2014 Kosjitov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well thought out and in depth. Thorough. Deb'a writing style is easy to understand. The breadth of the material is just exhaustive. It can be almost overwhelming
Raven Seanchai
Mar 21, 2012 Raven Seanchai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're into writing Wiccan ritual, this is a great book. It explains why you do the certain steps that you do.
Katherine Brashear
Oct 14, 2010 Katherine Brashear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchcraft, wicca
It explains why you do the things you do in ritual. It's very informational, and organized.
Coleen
Aug 20, 2015 Coleen rated it really liked it
Great basic for the beginner at Wicca. Required reading for our coven.
Nov 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, witchcraft
Not a bad book, but not to my tastes.
beckie duckett
beckie duckett marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Noah J.
Noah J. marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Quang Pham
Quang Pham rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Agray0000
Agray0000 marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Nate
Nate added it
Aug 10, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Maggie Gallant
Maggie Gallant marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Natural Magic
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • The Witches' God
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Wicca: The Complete Craft
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
  • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows